Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Motivator wrote: »
    Some comment to make and you not even at the game boy.
    How do you mean? I don't need to be at the game to be disappointed by the result, and I don't need to be at the game to be disappointed by the performance, going on what I heard during WLR's commentary of the game and the analysis after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

How do you mean? I don't need to be at the game to be disappointed by the result, and I don't need to be at the game to be disappointed by the performance, going on what I heard during WLR's commentary of the game and the analysis after.

Probably a bit much to blame 'the system' for a bad performance when you're not at the match though to be fair.

It seems to be fairly default on here when things go wrong. But when we win games there it's not mentioned positively.

There's got to be some balance between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

When will tickets go on sale ? Am thinking local centra here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Minor team versus cork
    . Billy Nolan (Roanmore)

2. Conor Giles Doran (De La Salle)

3. James Flavin (Ardmore)

4. Darragh McGrath (Abbeyside)

5. Donal Power (Passage)

6. Eoghan Murray (Ballyduff Upper)

7. Michael O'Brien (Ballinameela)

8. Eoin McGrath (Butlerstown)

9. Harry Ruddle Redmond (Ballygunner)

10. Jack Prendergast (Lismore)

11. Dylan Guiry (Fourmilewater)

12. Cathal Curran (Brickey Rangers)

13. Michael Mahony (Ballygunner) – Capt.

14. Neil Montgomery (Abbeyside)

15. Thomas Douglas (De La Salle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Motivator wrote: »
    Some comment to make and you not even at the game boy.

I was at the game...and pretty much taught Wexford done enough to win...but slightly lacked quality forwards to score

I'd imagine the score chances created statistic for this match would point to the glaringly obvious

Outside of Maurice shanagan and Mahoney in defence....(maybe brick)....all the others will have to up their performances massively or Limerick will beat them pulling up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Are the semi finals being shown on Tg4 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Minor team versus cork
    . Billy Nolan (Roanmore)

5. Donal Power (Passage)

Not a bad team best of luck to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Not a bad team best of luck to all involved
    Interesting that Waters from Dungarvan didn't start or Barron from Fourmilewater. Apart from that, its pretty much as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

The Waterford Minor Hurling Team to face Cork in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Quarter-Final in Walsh Park on Wednesday 6th April at 6:30pm has been announced!
    1. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
    5. Donal Power (Passage)

Waternut wrote: »
    Interesting that Waters from Dungarvan didn't start or Barron from Fourmilewater. Apart from that, its pretty much as expected.

Id of thought theyd have Glen Waters playing. He must be injured because he was centre forward last year and is very promising player. Young Tom Barron is a real prospect i thought he would been corner back but young Doran is also very good and had good year with De La Salle harty.
    I dont know the Guiry chap or the Montgomery lad maybe someone else can shed some light.
    Forwards may be too reliant on Jack Prender & Thomas Tonto Douglas for scores.
    Be great to get a win over Cork the lad Evan Sheehan is a nice player I'd earmark hin as their danger man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is Michael Mahony younger brother of Pauric and Philip?

Is Waters and Barron on the bench?

Best of luck to all involved tomorrow night, home advantage is usually worth a few points head start at this grade so hopefully we pull through. I'm guessing WLR will only be doing updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Big mistake I think not utilising Billy Nolan out the field this year. (As good a keeper as je is) Maybe they were really stuck for back up keepers but your best players should be out the field imo. Best of luck to the lads but ive a feeling it will be very tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Outside of Maurice shanagan and Mahoney in defence....(maybe brick)....all the others will have to up their performances massively or Limerick will beat them pulling up

Think you overrate us a bit. We had a good win against Dublin but all other known form over the past 18 months suggests that ye are a good bit ahead of us, and should beat us if ye want to. I'd be surprised if ye blew us away, it's not something that the system really caters for but winning is still winning.

There's no use slaughtering a team in a shootout if you get caught on the hop against a team who tightens up, like has happened to Tipp in recent times.

If we do beat ye, I'll be shocked and over the moon.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Think you overrate us a bit. We had a good win against Dublin but all other known form over the past 18 months suggests that ye are a good bit ahead of us, and should beat us if ye want to. I'd be surprised if ye blew us away, it's not something that the system really caters for but winning is still winning.

There's no use slaughtering a team in a shootout if you get caught on the hop against a team who tightens up, like has happened to Tipp in recent times.

If we do beat ye, I'll be shocked and over the moon.

I think maybe theres a perception that because ye had the edge over us at minor level for a couple years with some savage battles and now a lot of the top players from both those sides have broken through that it will continue. But I still think were a bit ahead of ye in terms of development, our lads have made the transition to senior a bit quicker, while yere lads have obviously gone and done the business at u21. Yeve been inconsistent enough under TJ Ryan in general though, I do believe we will beat ye if we play like we can. But a big year for both counties.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    I think maybe theres a perception that because ye had the edge over us at minor level for a couple years with some savage battles and now a lot of the top players from both those sides have broken through that it will continue. But I still think were a bit ahead of ye in terms of development, our lads have made the transition to senior a bit quicker, while yere lads have obviously gone and done the business at u21. Yeve been inconsistent enough under TJ Ryan in general though, I do believe we will beat ye if we play like we can. But a big year for both counties.

I've no doubt that we had some fine minor teams, with great talent. But they are only starting to come through now- Cian Lynch is the only one of those to have made his Championship debut. And that minor team didn't peak until 2014 as well, the year after you won the All-Ireland.

Obviously there's no guarantee that we'll get a lot of players from that team, sometimes players don't transition but Nash, Morrissey, English and Ronan Lynch should all make their debuts this year in the Championship.

But we've been a lot more reluctant than Derek to trust in our youngsters at senior level. You could argue that it makes sense in a way, we never benefited from our 3-in-a-row 21 team to any great extent at senior level, Kilkenny very rarely throw youngsters in. But the argument against that is that Kilkenny don't have to because of the quality there and if they are good enough, then they deserve their spot. That includes talent + discipline + fitness + suitability for senior intercounty.

But as for Sunday week, I'd be surprised if we win. The first time we've played a sweeper in a competitive match was last weekend. If that is how we are going to continue forward, I'd expect teething problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The Cork side to face Waterford in Wednesday evening's Munster MHC has been named.

1 Ger Collins - Ballinhassig
    2 Paul Lyons - Mallow
    3 Niall O'Leary - Castlelyons- Captain
    4 Sean O'Leary Hayes - Midleton
    5 John Cooper - Eire Og
    6 Ryan Walsh - Cuchulann's
    7 Eoghan Clifford - Cloughduv
    8 Cian O'Mahony - Ballinhassig
    9 Robbie Bourke - Ballincollig
    10 John Sullivan - Blackrock
    11 Matthew Bradley - Aghabullogue
    12 Stephen Condon - Harbour Rovers
    13 Evan Sheehan - Na Piarsaigh
    14 Josh Beausang - St Colman"s
    15 Liam Healy -Sarsfield

Subs:
    16 Barry Kenneally - Cuchulann's
    17 Darragh Guiney - Shandrum
    18 Ross Howell - Douglas
    19 Jeremy Saich - Kilworth
    20 Kevin Murphy - Killeagh
    21 Danny Gunning - Na Piarsaigh
    22 Brian Buckley- Shandrum
    23 John Geary- Shandrum
    24 Brian Turnbull - Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Orizio wrote: »
    The Cork side to face Waterford in Wednesday evening's Munster MHC has been named.

1 Ger Collins - Ballinhassig
    2 Paul Lyons - Mallow
    3 Niall O'Leary - Castlelyons- Captain
    4 Sean O'Leary Hayes - Midleton
    5 John Cooper - Eire Og
    6 Ryan Walsh - Cuchulann's
    7 Eoghan Clifford - Cloughduv
    8 Cian O'Mahony - Ballinhassig
    9 Robbie Bourke - Ballincollig
    10 John Sullivan - Blackrock
    11 Matthew Bradley - Aghabullogue
    12 Stephen Condon - Harbour Rovers
    13 Evan Sheehan - Na Piarsaigh
    14 Josh Beausang - St Colman"s
    15 Liam Healy -Sarsfield

Subs:
    16 Barry Kenneally - Cuchulann's
    17 Darragh Guiney - Shandrum
    18 Ross Howell - Douglas
    19 Jeremy Saich - Kilworth
    20 Kevin Murphy - Killeagh
    21 Danny Gunning - Na Piarsaigh
    22 Brian Buckley- Shandrum
    23 John Geary- Shandrum
    24 Brian Turnbull - Douglas

I haven't heard of cuchullans, harbour rovers or Shandrum, new amalgamations or clubs on the up?

Kanturk, Glanworth and Newtown/Dromina respectively. St Colmans are a Cloyne/Russell Rovers amalgamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Went into centra to get tickets for the semi final , only juvenile tickets coming up !! What's that about !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

The Waterford Minor Hurling Team to face Cork in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Quarter-Final in Walsh Park on Wednesday 6th April at 6:30pm has been announced!
    1. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
    5. Donal Power (Passage)

Dylan Guiry - Fourmilewater/The Nire, was the County Minor football Captain last year. Third year on the minor footballers played corner forward - wing forward in 2014, corner forward and captain 2015 probably be centre forward next week in the football. Great footballer, starts for the Nire corner forward at senior, first year on the minor hurlers. More of an athlete than a natural hurler but the majority of your duals are.

Neil Montgomery, probably the best Minor footballer in the county last year asides from Conor Prunty. Abbeyside/Balinacourty. Was on the county minor footballers last year at wing back. Used to be a savage rugby player for Munster and gave it up this year. Dropped off the footballers to concentrate on hurling. Interesting position to play him in, big lad, quick, will be about pumping quick ball into him for him to break id say. Would of saw him elsewhere out the pitch. Natural Wing back, Midfielder, Centre Forward. If he stayed on the Co Footballers this year he would of been captain.

Biggest Threat for us - Cathal Curran - Brickey Rangers, brother of Cormac Curran, surprised hes not centre back midfield. First year on County Minor hurlers and footballers. Got dropped last year from the 40 on the hurlers but came into his element over the summer at minor - intermediate. Not a natural wing forward, far too good to play there... Farther the championship goes I say he'll end up out at midfield/centre back. Biggest threat for us going forward though, like his brother great to take a score. If left in the forward however he could be the top scorer asides from the free taker.

Glen Water - Dungarvan is Injured last I heard. Should be back for the next round. Wasnt centre forward last year, started corner forward against tipp and i dont think he was against limerick... Was Andy Molumphy if i remember correctly. Will probably return to maybe in corner forward or midfield.

Who should be there? Conor Whelan - Brickey Rangers, highest scorer in Minor division 2 last year, has another year on the age, quick, strong and fast, was a good performer in u21 when brickeys ran into the u21 Western B final against Fourmilewater. A future waterford senior hurler. Should be played Midfield - Forwards.
    Liam O' Connell - St. Olivers/Gerdlines, Last year minor, doesnt tog for county it seems. Should be starting football aswell as the hurling. Midfield - Forwards. Best player for Gerdlines last year in both codes and consistant St. Olivers performer at minor u21.

The weakness? The 6 backs are the weakness, play the hand your dealt from there is more there. Individual only Darragh McGrath will play co senior and is a standout. Rest are average for this level. Would of played Cathal Curran at Centre back, Eoghan Murray and Michael O' Brien on the wings. Billy Nolan should be out the field and probably will be after this game. There are decent keepers in this county. Have a suspicion we will stay in it til last 15 may even lead at half time but I think cork will have the quality. Decent squad, has to be shaped abit different, where players are playing etc. A loss might what this team needs, losing gives them a playoff second chance and the management will see the flaws in the system player wise. I understand picking the best team possible, lads injured, great to win straight away if this team can knock off cork with ease. But they scrap over cork and think its a winning formation will these players in them positions get knocked off by limerick or tipp. Remember 2013? Lost the first game to Tipp. The team got reshaped and we won an all-ireland. Sometimes its better to lose and see what needs to be fixed. Please do not quote that<
    I do not want to hear about winning mentality. Alex Ferguson will tell you losing is almost as good as winning at times. Shows you what you need to fix to win. Problem may be, and I hope Cork wont exploit it is our wing backs. Michael O' Brien is a gifted hurler, tall, strong, great catch. Not fast enough for the position. Cork have any sense and done abit of scouting they'll know to play a small trickly colin dunford esque player there and exploit that flank. By pass our half back line aerial and we might lose the game. 2) Conor Curran - Ring, 3) Jack Lacey - Dungarvan, 4) Darragh McGrath. 2 & 3 are late changes it seems if you go by WATERFORD GAA twitter. Curran is a dual footballer in his 2nd year and hasnt played quality hurling so he may struggle, abit slow, built like a tank though so it will depend who he marks and how he reacts to a higher level. Lacey im okay with. Small sized full back line. Darragh McGrath 5ft 7-9, Conor Curran 5ft 7-10, Jack Lacey, 5ft 10 - 6ft 1.

Don't know what them changes mean. Just saw them there on Munster GAA. Hopefully it will be the start to a decent campaign and bag a munster at the minimum. Havent one won in years even when we won the all ireland!!!! And if you have any further questions on waterford GAA my book is available on Amazon :p.

courtylad wrote: »
    Dylan Guiry - Fourmilewater/The Nire, was the County Minor football Captain last year. Third year on the minor footballers played corner forward - wing forward in 2014, corner forward and captain 2015 probably be centre forward next week in the football. Great footballer, starts for the Nire corner forward at senior, first year on the minor hurlers. More of an athlete than a natural hurler but the majority of your duals are.

Neil Montgomery, probably the best Minor footballer in the county last year asides from Conor Prunty. Abbeyside/Balinacourty. Was on the county minor footballers last year at wing back. Used to be a savage rugby player for Munster and gave it up this year. Dropped off the footballers to concentrate on hurling. Interesting position to play him in, big lad, quick, will be about pumping quick ball into him for him to break id say. Would of saw him elsewhere out the pitch. Natural Wing back, Midfielder, Centre Forward. If he stayed on the Co Footballers this year he would of been captain.

Biggest Threat for us - Cathal Curran - Brickey Rangers, brother of Cormac Curran, surprised hes not centre back midfield. First year on County Minor hurlers and footballers. Got dropped last year from the 40 on the hurlers but came into his element over the summer at minor - intermediate. Not a natural wing forward, far too good to play there... Farther the championship goes I say he'll end up out at midfield/centre back. Biggest threat for us going forward though, like his brother great to take a score. If left in the forward however he could be the top scorer asides from the free taker.

Glen Water - Dungarvan is Injured last I heard. Should be back for the next round. Wasnt centre forward last year, started corner forward against tipp and i dont think he was against limerick... Was Andy Molumphy if i remember correctly. Will probably return to maybe in corner forward or midfield.

Who should be there? Conor Whelan - Brickey Rangers, highest scorer in Minor division 2 last year, has another year on the age, quick, strong and fast, was a good performer in u21 when brickeys ran into the u21 Western B final against Fourmilewater. A future waterford senior hurler. Should be played Midfield - Forwards.
    Liam O' Connell - St. Olivers/Gerdlines, Last year minor, doesnt tog for county it seems. Should be starting football aswell as the hurling. Midfield - Forwards. Best player for Gerdlines last year in both codes and consistant St. Olivers performer at minor u21.

The weakness? The 6 backs are the weakness, play the hand your dealt from there is more there. Individual only Darragh McGrath will play co senior and is a standout. Rest are average for this level. Would of played Cathal Curran at Centre back, Eoghan Murray and Michael O' Brien on the wings. Billy Nolan should be out the field and probably will be after this game. There are decent keepers in this county. Have a suspicion we will stay in it til last 15 may even lead at half time but I think cork will have the quality. Decent squad, has to be shaped abit different, where players are playing etc. A loss might what this team needs, losing gives them a playoff second chance and the management will see the flaws in the system player wise. I understand picking the best team possible, lads injured, great to win straight away if this team can knock off cork with ease. But they scrap over cork and think its a winning formation will these players in them positions get knocked off by limerick or tipp. Remember 2013? Lost the first game to Tipp. The team got reshaped and we won an all-ireland. Sometimes its better to lose and see what needs to be fixed. Please do not quote that<
    I do not want to hear about winning mentality. Alex Ferguson will tell you losing is almost as good as winning at times. Shows you what you need to fix to win. Problem may be, and I hope Cork wont exploit it is our wing backs. Michael O' Brien is a gifted hurler, tall, strong, great catch. Not fast enough for the position. Cork have any sense and done abit of scouting they'll know to play a small trickly colin dunford esque player there and exploit that flank. By pass our half back line aerial and we might lose the game. 2) Conor Curran - Ring, 3) Jack Lacey - Dungarvan, 4) Darragh McGrath. 2 & 3 are late changes it seems if you go by WATERFORD GAA twitter. Curran is a dual footballer in his 2nd year and hasnt played quality hurling so he may struggle, abit slow, built like a tank though so it will depend who he marks and how he reacts to a higher level. Lacey im okay with. Small sized full back line. Darragh McGrath 5ft 7-9, Conor Curran 5ft 7-10, Jack Lacey, 5ft 10 - 6ft 1.

Don't know what them changes mean. Just saw them there on Munster GAA. Hopefully it will be the start to a decent campaign and bag a munster at the minimum. Havent one won in years even when we won the all ireland!!!! And if you have any further questions on waterford GAA my book is available on Amazon :p.

Thanks for the update - being outside the county I always try to keep in touch with the minors to see what's coming up

Basically a half hour synopsis of what youve seen of these lads as footballers then and just hazarding a guess as to what their like as hurlers. A load of non information if you ask me... oveehyping lads that arent there and writing off players that are starting. Its obvious you know nothing about the lads from the east and havent even see many of these players play. They are minors lets give them a chance. Anyway heres to a good hammering so we can find out a lot more about ourselves!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is Douglas our main man?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

thesultan wrote: »
    Is Douglas our main man?

Are you nuts?
    Sure he comes from east of Kilmac and has not played for the minor footballers for the last 9 years. Where would he be going sure?
    He'd just wanna keep out of the way.

Basically a half hour synopsis of what youve seen of these lads as footballers then and just hazarding a guess as to what their like as hurlers. A load of non information if you ask me... oveehyping lads that arent there and writing off players that are starting. Its obvious you know nothing about the lads from the east and havent even see many of these players play. They are minors lets give them a chance. Anyway heres to a good hammering so we can find out a lot more about ourselves!!!

You read that again... I listed where we were weak, our biggest threat, who should be there, etc. I mentioned the lads they were questions over. More Wests than Easts. They asked about the players and I provided the information. Just cause have the starting team was involved with the co minor footballers, which i stated, doesnt mean i didnt talk hurling. Not really overhyping? Glen Waters? Started last year, he'll be there later on. Conor Whelan be on the bench. Liam O' Connell doesnt tog county, I hardly called that hype. I listed where they were weak. Half Backs. Not the greatnesses, Eoghan Murray, decent hurler, came on as a sub last year, scored a point. Likes to run the ball, plays off left and right. Big enough but you wanted your best reader of the game at centre back, Cathal Curran. You obviously havent seen much of hurling bar the east. Jack Lacey, not the biggest for full back, quick though so Cork may have a smaller full forward like they often do. Darragh McGrath is the best player on the field, best man marker at minor. Redmond is 21-21 decent aerial, he'll do the dog work. You know nothing about management if you think losing is a bad thing. Losing will show you what you need to fix for the big games.

You know what, ive a great idea, we'll start you small, go out and get football manager 16. Try and get Ireland to the euros first go cause its basically knockout, you can afford to lose one game in the group. You get them to the euros. First thing you'll do, get a friendly against a top nation, see what needs to be changed. Same as in GAA management, its great beating cork but its no good if your going to lose to limerick or tipperary because you think you've a winning system. And if you come back and they could do that in a friendly its not the same, no team togs there full team in a friendly 90% of the time. How do I know this? Years of management. Robopaddy2 its simple, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer cause it's clear you've never managed a team to success.

• Advertisement

Are you nuts?
    Sure he comes from east of Kilmac and has not played for the minor footballers for the last 9 years. Where would he be going sure?
    He'd just wanna keep out of the way.

He'll roam out to the half forward line, or Mahoney will, doubt they'll be a sweeper, wasnt last i heard. When you put an athlete on the edge of the square the idea is to pump ball into space and let him win it, Montgomery will do that. I was only informing others of their background information, its nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Kingston wielded the axe with the Cork panel,can we expect any casualties from the league to the championship squad? Surely Shane O Sullivan is surplus to requirements at this stage? He looked so far off the pace in his last game it wasn't even funny! It must be surely Brick's last hurrah aswell. He hasn't been a shadow of his former self this year so far,a real shame to see it. Maybe he stayed on a year too long? I'm not advocating he should be dropped now before there's carnage on the page,I still think he has a lot to offer the panel for the rest of the season but the O Sullivan"lovefest" is amazing if not amusing to say the least!

cul beag wrote: »
    Kingston wielded the axe with the Cork panel,can we expect any casualties from the league to the championship squad? Surely Shane O Sullivan is surplus to requirements at this stage? He looked so far off the pace in his last game it wasn't even funny! It must be surely Brick's last hurrah aswell. He hasn't been a shadow of his former self this year so far,a real shame to see it. Maybe he stayed on a year too long? I'm not advocating he should be dropped now before there's carnage on the page,I still think he has a lot to offer the panel for the rest of the season but the O Sullivan"lovefest" is amazing if not amusing to say the least!

There was a stage people were calling Tony Browne to be dropped before he pushed back into the hurlers in his late 30's. Brick is good for morale, he's a natural midfielder, back, he could come back yet, Browne did it. Will be down to his commitment. I doubt its his last year, aslong as he wants to ball for waterford he should be there, if not playing for experience. Such a young squad you need the old guard. I would like to see him back at centre back but he wont get that spot. Played as a third midfielder given license to roam he'd do damage. Not a natural forward, its been tried, doesnt work. But when you meet your kilkennys, tipperary's and galways the hardy men. There may be 5 better forwards on the bench but there isnt a better player on the pitch when it will come to experience, winning high/dirty ball, throwing shoulder, breaking hurleys and doing the dog work than the Brick. Main reason why he should start until theres a proper replacement for him. Like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United, he may of been 35-40 but when it comes to the big games he was going to be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

There was a stage people were calling Tony Browne to be dropped before he pushed back into the hurlers in his late 30's. Brick is good for morale, he's a natural midfielder, back, he could come back yet, Browne did it. Will be down to his commitment. I doubt its his last year, aslong as he wants to ball for waterford he should be there, if not playing for experience. Such a young squad you need the old guard. I would like to see him back at centre back but he wont get that spot. Played as a third midfielder given license to roam he'd do damage. Not a natural forward, its been tried, doesnt work. But when you meet your kilkennys, tipperary's and galways the hardy men. There may be 5 better forwards on the bench but there isnt a better player on the pitch when it will come to experience, winning high/dirty ball, throwing shoulder, breaking hurleys and doing the dog work than the Brick. Main reason why he should start until theres a proper replacement for him. Like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United, he may of been 35-40 but when it comes to the big games he was going to be starting.

And O Sullivan adds what???

cul beag wrote: »
    And O Sullivan adds what???

Not really a brick, a legend, he'll be remembered but not like brick. Brick is one of the best XV in history of waterford hurling. Its like a child growing up, every manchester united fan wanted to be Paul Scholes, nobody grew up wanting to be Darren Flecther. O' Sullivan be alot like Darren Flecther, great in his day but when he gets old you move him on to make room for new lads. Quality player and a great servant, but when it comes to picking an Old Guard you have Kevin Moran and Michael Walsh, nearly throw Connors into that mix. Keeping three old guards is normally the rule of thumb even if there gone past there prime. Personally id keep him on the panel, not for starting but for experiencem to help the young lads. Good friends with McGrath - going nowhere.

• Advertisement

You read that again... I listed where we were weak, our biggest threat, who should be there, etc. I mentioned the lads they were questions over. More Wests than Easts. They asked about the players and I provided the information. Just cause have the starting team was involved with the co minor footballers, which i stated, doesnt mean i didnt talk hurling. Not really overhyping? Glen Waters? Started last year, he'll be there later on. Conor Whelan be on the bench. Liam O' Connell doesnt tog county, I hardly called that hype. I listed where they were weak. Half Backs. Not the greatnesses, Eoghan Murray, decent hurler, came on as a sub last year, scored a point. Likes to run the ball, plays off left and right. Big enough but you wanted your best reader of the game at centre back, Cathal Curran. You obviously havent seen much of hurling bar the east. Jack Lacey, not the biggest for full back, quick though so Cork may have a smaller full forward like they often do. Darragh McGrath is the best player on the field, best man marker at minor. Redmond is 21-21 decent aerial, he'll do the dog work. You know nothing about management if you think losing is a bad thing. Losing will show you what you need to fix for the big games.

You know what, ive a great idea, we'll start you small, go out and get football manager 16. Try and get Ireland to the euros first go cause its basically knockout, you can afford to lose one game in the group. You get them to the euros. First thing you'll do, get a friendly against a top nation, see what needs to be changed. Same as in GAA management, its great beating cork but its no good if your going to lose to limerick or tipperary because you think you've a winning system. And if you come back and they could do that in a friendly its not the same, no team togs there full team in a friendly 90% of the time. How do I know this? Years of management. Robopaddy2 its simple, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer cause it's clear you've never managed a team to success.

Not overhyping? You describe one lad as the 'best hurler on the field' yet hes playing corner back to do a man marking job and there is no mention of a major Cork forward of any significance? Also the full forward is a county minor footballer and 'a good athlete aswell' so lets send the sliothar high into him.... brilliant. I can see your years of managerial success shining through right there

nearly throw Connors into that mix. Keeping three old guards is normally the rule of thumb even if there gone past there prime.

Connors is 25

Not overhyping? You describe one lad as the 'best hurler on the field' yet he plays as a corner back to do a man marking job yet there is no mention of a Cork forward of any significance? Also the full forward is a county minor footballer and 'a good athlete aswell' so lets send the sliothar high into him.... brilliant. I can see your years of managerial success shining through right there

Darragh McGrath is the best player on the field...Ask anyone that. Neil Montgomery is a work horse, quick and fast and a decent hurler who can take a score. At this level its all about the team who does the dog work the best not who has the most skill.

Connors is 25

Age doesnt matter when it comes to being part of the Old Guard, definition of old guard is "the original or long-standing members of a group". Stop trolling you lost... Move on.

Age doesnt matter when it comes to being part of the Old Guard, definition of old guard is "the original or long-standing members of a group". Stop trolling you lost... Move on.

Words fail me.... so yes youre right there is literally no comeback to some of the stuff you have come up with!

Words fail me.... so yes youre right there is literally no comeback to some of the stuff you have come up with!

Oh well... you tried better luck next time little buddy.

Anyway, going back to the Cork one. Can't compare like with like there. Theres more to that than meets the eye. O'Neill, O'Sullivan and Cronin are the last links left to the strikes. Kieran Kingston being a 'Frank Murphy' man they were always going to be moved on at the first signs they were showing rustiness. There are a lot worse players on that panel who haven't been dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Anyway, going back to the Cork one. Can't compare like with like there. Theres more to that than meets the eye. O'Neill, O'Sullivan and Cronin are the last links left to the strikes. Kieran Kingston being a 'Frank Murphy' man they were always going to be moved on at the first signs they were showing rustiness. There are a lot worse players on that panel who haven't been dropped

Don't think Kingston would be concerned with that sort of stuff, that was 6 or 7 years ago now. Look, Paudi has been on the Cork panel for the last 7 or 8 years and hasn't really done it. Had one or two good games and everyone has been waiting for him to explode onto the scene with consistent high performances. It hasn't happened for the last 7 or 8 years and lets be honest, its not going to happen in the future. Moylan is a dame fine hurler but unfortunately not county standard. Pa has been blowing hot and cold for the last few years too. I'm not really that surprised with those land to be honest, there is little point in carrying them especially when they are all 27/28 years old. Cork really need to clear the decks, a bit like McGrath did in 2014.

I've seen it with Waterford over the years where we have kept lands on the panel for 7 / 8 years and they haven't really broken through and challenged for a place on the team. What's the point? Give a lad a few years to break through, train at the required standard and if he doesn't make it then give another lad a chance.

Cathal Curran is midfield tomorrow

Conor Whelan not on panel defo not in 24 anyway.

Darragh McGrath is good an will line out wingback not corner an as your a courty man your right to be proud of your own but credit the other lads who are after making it this far. To be ridiculed by someone like yourself before a ball is thrown in for god sake their children i pray to god they havnt read your synopsis.

Donal Power drops back in corner back.

Liam O Connell & Lee Wall two outstanding players chose not to play minor this year after being on the panel last year. If I'm correct they chose education first and i admire them both for that. Young Tom Barron brother of Jamie is
    On the bench and he has hopefully got a right future ahead of himself and hes minor next year.

Now look i wont get into anymore but give these lads the support they need, instead of ruining their chances before they play.
    Its an open forum and their underage so less of the petty insults please get behind them and if its about their huing talk about it tomorrow in a mannerly way please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So we have 3 games to get to a Munster minor semi final ??

If we lose vs cork we will play Tipperary in the 1st playoff. Win that and we're in a semi final.

Lose vs Tipperary and we play the loser of the Clare vs Limerick qf

Beat cork in the qfs and we're in the semi finals.

It's the same format for the all Ireland series as in 2013.

Qfs
    Losing Munster finalist vs Ulster champions
    Losing leinster finalist vs Galway

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have a very strong Minor team there Cortylad. Mercifully the way the championship is run its better for Cork to lose than win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So we have 3 games to get to a Munster minor semi final ??

If we lose vs cork we will play Tipperary in the 1st playoff. Win that and we're in a semi final.

Lose vs Tipperary and we play the loser of the Clare vs Limerick qf

Beat cork in the qfs and we're in the semi finals.

It's the same format for the all Ireland series as in 2013.

Qfs
    Losing Munster finalist vs Ulster champions
    Losing leinster finalist vs Galway

I very much doubt it's the case that you can lose two games in Munster and still be in it. Beat Cork and it's straight into a semi final. Lose to Cork and it's a playoff (lose the play-off and that's surely curtains). But looking at the Munster fixtures page for the minor championship. it's fairly confusing. It would suggest that if we lost against Cork, we could also afford to lose again v Tipp and still have a game against the loser of Limerick & Clare. Doesn't add up.
    http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

I wonder did they forget to put Kerry in there somewhere or misplace a number or something. In any case, beating Cork and straight into a semi final is just the easiest way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Not overhyping? You describe one lad as the 'best hurler on the field' yet hes playing corner back to do a man marking job and there is no mention of a major Cork forward of any significance? Also the full forward is a county minor footballer and 'a good athlete aswell' so lets send the sliothar high into him.... brilliant. I can see your years of managerial success shining through right there

Jamie Barron played two years corner back at minor, can't think of anyone better than him that played on the 2011 minor team.

Plenty of lads progress beyond what was expected of them at minor level. And plenty more regress past the class they showed at the grade. Enjoy the game lads, no need to be analyzing 16-18 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cake Man wrote: »
    I very much doubt it's the case that you can lose two games in Munster and still be in it. Beat Cork and it's straight into a semi final. Lose to Cork and it's a playoff (lose the play-off and that's surely curtains). But looking at the Munster fixtures page for the minor championship. it's fairly confusing. It would suggest that if we lost against Cork, we could also afford to lose again v Tipp and still have a game against the loser of Limerick & Clare. Doesn't add up.
    http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

I wonder did they forget to put Kerry in there somewhere or misplace a number or something. In any case, beating Cork and straight into a semi final is just the easiest way to go.

God help me for saying this, but PTH2009 is right. The loser of game 2 (Waterford-Cork) goes into game 3. The loser of that game (Tipperary or Waterford-Cork) goes into game 4 against the loser of game 1 (Limerick-Clare). Either Waterford or Cork could lose two games and end up in the semi-finals. I understand what they are trying to do - make sure everyone gets two games - but there has to be a better way.

deiseach wrote: »
    God help me for saying this, but PTH2009 is right. The loser of game 2 (Waterford-Cork) goes into game 3. The loser of that game (Tipperary or Waterford-Cork) goes into game 4 against the loser of game 1 (Limerick-Clare). Either Waterford or Cork could lose two games and end up in the semi-finals. I understand what they are trying to do - make sure everyone gets two games - but there has to be a better way.

So basically you can lose twice, play 6 games to play in a munster minor final, lose that and play three more games to potentially get to a AI minor final.

It's a five team competition, if they did it on a league basis (4 games) with the top two going to the final (5th game).
    I know it might be tough with lads doing the leaving and burnout etc but a team could play just as many games in the current system.

The Munster Minor championship is a brilliant competition, it is highly competitive - a league basis would be a great competition

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

JesusRef wrote: »
    So basically you can lose twice, play 6 games to play in a munster minor final, lose that and play three more games to potentially get to a AI minor final.

It's a five team competition, if they did it on a league basis (4 games) with the top two going to the final (5th game).
    I know it might be tough with lads doing the leaving and burnout etc but a team could play just as many games in the current system.

The Munster Minor championship is a brilliant competition, it is highly competitive - a league basis would be a great competition

Been saying it for awhile, it would be the most straight forward way to run it off, everybody gets the same number of games, 2 home, 2 away, could play it in April to the middle of May, top two into the Munster final, or 2 vs 3 in an after leaving play off...at least then lads get 4 games to bed into inter county, none of this 1 team getting 1 chance and another getting 3...
    The admins are scared of round robin though as they think its too like soccer or something..

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Been saying it for awhile, it would be the most straight forward way to run it off, everybody gets the same number of games, 2 home, 2 away, could play it in April to the middle of May, top two into the Munster final, or 2 vs 3 in an after leaving play off...at least then lads get 4 games to bed into inter county, none of this 1 team getting 1 chance and another getting 3...
    The admins are scared of round robin though as they think its too like soccer or something..

At minor level, this format would work as it's just unfair at the moment.

Wouldn't be a fan of it at senior level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Mehapoy wrote: »

The Munster Council are wedded to certain pomposities, e.g. Munster hurling championship games must all be staged in a venue worthy of the grandeur of the title so we have Minor and Under-21 games rattling around in Thurles when they could be comfortably played in Bansha. I think the time for a round robin format at Minor level has arrived. There might be issues with the Leaving Cert and all that but we have that problem anyway, it would eliminate replays, and surely young fellas would rather be playing games rather than training. Wouldn't it be grand to have two Minor games guaranteed at home every year? Might even sell a few more season tickets based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Shouldn't be a problem with u17 next as they can't play senior with their clubs anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

forgot to mention although its a nice enough stadium wexford park really needs to invest in a match clock. Even Walsh Park has one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement