Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With a number of our senior players and management in London for the club deise dinner dance dis weekend I imagine there's no training dis weekend ??

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    With a number of our senior players and management in London for the club deise dinner dance dis weekend I imagine there's no training dis weekend ??

Speaking of which are we not scrapping the arse of the barrel with this type of fundraising? Management team went over to a pub in London again some weeks ago and raised around 10k! The breakfast talk held in Lawlors amounted to 110 tickets sold and around 70 turned up on the day! Come on,really? Is this the best we can do? Can you see Brian Cody prostituting himself around the place for pittance amount of money? Hopefully the Punchestown event will bring in a decent amount of money that we know is needed to keep the ship afloat but surely there are better,bigger ways of raising serious cash to fund the teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

cul beag wrote: »
    Speaking of which are we not scrapping the arse of the barrel with this type of fundraising? Management team went over to a pub in London again some weeks ago and raised around 10k! The breakfast talk held in Lawlors amounted to 110 tickets sold and around 70 turned up on the day! Come on,really? Is this the best we can do? Can you see Brian Cody prostituting himself around the place for pittance amount of money? Hopefully the Punchestown event will bring in a decent amount of money that we know is needed to keep the ship afloat but surely there are better,bigger ways of raising serious cash to fund the teams?

It's a pretty well worn path for every county, every Club, every national school in the country are looking for their share of the pot to keep things going.
    Fair play to anyone who goes to the effort of raising any money towards the cause of improving the training conditions of the lucky ones who represent our county (with some distinction, currently hurling, camogie and LGF teams are the holders of titles - it's easy to be proud of our hard working and dedicated fellow County men and women) , every euro should be welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

JesusRef wrote: »
    It's a pretty well worn path for every county, every Club, every national school in the country are looking for their share of the pot to keep things going.
    Fair play to anyone who goes to the effort of raising any money towards the cause of improving the training conditions of the lucky ones who represent our county (with some distinction, currently hurling, camogie and LGF teams are the holders of titles - it's easy to be proud of our hard working and dedicated fellow County men and women) , every euro should be welcomed

The money from the Deise Day at Punchestown is also divided up with a percentage going to the Ladies Footballers. Not sure if the Camogie are a part of that as they have their own night at the dogs, tonight if I'm not mistaken in Kilcohan. So while a large chunk is taken in, expenses must be met and then the money is divided up. These other fundraisers are out of necessity more than anything else. Tickets are a fair price for the Deise Day so fair play to all those supporting it.

If we had a decent stadium we could hold an open air concert with a major touring act (anyone remember the disasters we had previous years for fundraising ? Jedward, Shane McGowan,Bressie).

A challenge match for our footballers against someone like the Dublin seniors/all star 15 etc in Walsh park Wud be a good idea and might raise a bit of money.

JesusRef wrote: »

Not disputing the work that's being done by the fundraisers I'm questioning the type of fundraising being done. In my opinion it's very amateurish and if you take a look at the confined draw being run at the moment by DLS school its something on that level we should be aiming for where good money can be made on a consistent basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If we had a decent stadium we could hold an open air concert with a major touring act (anyone remember the disasters we had previous years for fundraising ? Jedward, Shane McGowan,Bressie).

A challenge match for our footballers against someone like the Dublin seniors/all star 15 etc in Walsh park Wud be a good idea and might raise a bit of money.

But would all the cost of building said stadium ever be recouped via concerts??

I'd rather see money raised being used to train teams etc than as down payments on a willy waving exercise of a stadium

Though if they could upgrade Walsh park along the lines of nowlan park/pairc ui rinn it would be good...nothing too excessive

Fraher field is a nice tidy little pitch and doesn't need huge money to be spent on it to keep it ticking over...but Walsh park is getting to a stage if it gets much worse it'll only be fit to be bulldozed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

10K is some going to raise from a pub if is is true.

Would think theyd be holding fundraisers in London every weekend if it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Think you should withdraw those remarks. If the management and players/ex players are prepared to give up the weekend for the cause, where's the downside in that ? Waterford doesn't have a generous benefactor such as JP McManus. Also, it's a great opportunity for Waterford people leaving in and around London to meet the the management/players in a relaxed, social setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Bitching and begrudgery will never be dead in gaa circles thats for sure. It takes a fairly grounded bunch of guys to stick their neck out and ask for the publics help to get the support that the county board cant give them. Theyre not a prima donna county team who goes on strike or who throws in the towel when things arent laid out on a plate for them. Theyve showed that more than once. To be fair to derek mcgrath since he came in first day he told the players they will have to fundraise themselves if they want to get to the financial level some of the other counties have. Thats just how it is and where were at. Hurlers on the ditch will sit behind a keyboard and slate their efforts but the real hurlers are out there trying to make things happen. I hope they get their just rewards on the end

Jimmy McGuinness did a lot of fundraising when he came into the Donegal job - just short of knocking on doors apparently.
    The way he saw it the money was out there and the county board didn't have the know how to get it.

Fair play to Derek et al, nor alone are they doing all that prep and training in their spare time but they also go fundraising on top of that - to be honest I think that is really admirable. . These guys have work, family young children etc - we are lucky, these lads are going the extra mile.

As for Brian Cody - maybe they don't have to do it Kilkenny - with all the success, but if Kilkenny needed it I doubt he would be found wanting to step up to the plate

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Bitching and begrudgery will never be dead in gaa circles thats for sure. It takes a fairly grounded bunch of guys to stick their neck out and ask for the publics help to get the support that the county board cant give them. Theyre not a prima donna county team who goes on strike or who throws in the towel when things arent laid out on a plate for them. Theyve showed that more than once. To be fair to derek mcgrath since he came in first day he told the players they will have to fundraise themselves if they want to get to the financial level some of the other counties have. Thats just how it is and where were at. Hurlers on the ditch will sit behind a keyboard and slate their efforts but the real hurlers are out there trying to make things happen. I hope they get their just rewards on the end

Again read my last post. Its the type of fundraising is the problem. Kilkenny bring in Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart we bring in Jedward!!! Again as I previously said the Dls current draw is what should be looked at. As for hurler on the ditch don't make me laugh I support every draw every function every fundraiser organised towards Waterford hurling,have lost money over Waterford hurling so I would imagine you're not including me in that comment. Oh and we won't talk about"expenses" still outstanding from my account! I've seen the REAL hurlers up close and seen exactly what they've lost personally and financially so we won't go there either! Throw away comments like yours that play to the like button on the end of the post are great but the truth/facts are what I rather discuss.

What would you do though? You're not going to get Bruce Springsteen to Walsh Park. Kilkenny were very lucky they got that gig and I don't thinkt that is a fair representation of standard fundraising for the GAA in any county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What would you do though? You're not going to get Bruce Springsteen to Walsh Park. Kilkenny were very lucky they got that gig and I don't thinkt that is a fair representation of standard fundraising for the GAA in any county.

I do recall a very successful waterford Utd v the hurlers soccer match for the huge tsunami years ago (once off I know)

As for concerts...waterford people For whatever reason don't tend to go to concerts...see the closure of the forum

And who's going to come to waterford for a concert when there's little to offer them for nightlife/things to do before/after the concert

I do recall a very successful waterford Utd v the hurlers soccer match for the huge tsunami years ago (once off I know)

As for concerts...waterford people For whatever reason don't tend to go to concerts...see the closure of the forum

And who's going to come to waterford for a concert when there's little to offer them for nightlife/things to do before/after the concert

Get smash hits to play in Walsh park (there the only band that sells out in Waterford for sum reason).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

Think you should withdraw those remarks. If the management and players/ex players are prepared to give up the weekend for the cause, where's the downside in that ? Waterford doesn't have a generous benefactor such as JP McManus. Also, it's a great opportunity for Waterford people leaving in and around London to meet the the management/players in a relaxed, social setting.

Go by that logic in GAA history at senior:
    Tyrone 3/2 = 1.5
    (3 all IRE GF + 0 all IRE HL)/ GF + HL (2)

Waterford 2/2 = 1
    (0 all IRE GF + 2 all IRE HL)/ GF + HL (2)

1.5 > 1
    Tyrone > Waterford
    By that logic, not a fan of work on the weekend.

Jim McGuinness raised over 1 - 1.5 million, stated in Until victory always, his book, by himself, called up businesses...asked for donations or asked them to pay bills for dinner after training/match...most didn't even ask to be recognised... A lot would help, entrepreneurs. Hard thing to go out and raise money. Especially hard when your getting paid 100-250 per training session. Wait sorry (travel expenses). I remember reading a minor hurling programme, Waterford vs clare, 2014, stated we had between 150k - 250k for county per annum spread across the whole thing. Surely it is sufficient? I don't understand how money raises training standards... Carriganore and Gold Coast are quality training facilities.. You have you gym membership... You have your Jimmy Pain for underage... You have your players, and I'm sure cones and balls are affordable. You can have all the money in the world but unless you have the coaches and players it doesn't matter. Pumping money doesn't result it quality at amateur. Just need more people with level 1-3 coaching levels coaching u6-18, not just a player on the ages father or mother. Balls, cones, coaches, players a pitch. All you need. Most of that money goes into pockets and not at grassroots level.

On a different note, Stradbally played Balinameela and Rathgormack played Brickey Rangers in football. Stradbally and Rathgormack the victors.

Balinameela lead 0-3 to no score til 20 minutes, threw away the game by half time. Stradbally, manager-less, showed why they are co champions. Brute Ignorance, battered Balinameela up and down the field. Balinameela played well in fairness to them had only about 15 players, Stradbally unloaded quality off the bench. Wasn't a true standout bar the Stradbally lads who should be playing co senior. Anyone know why they have dropped off?

Rathgormack v Brickeys... Rathgormack led at half time 1-06 to 0-04, a very defensive football game. Both teams deployed sweepers. Should of been Brickeys night... 15-20 minutes to go Rathgormack got a man sent off. Final score was 0-08 to 1-07, Rathgormack, one point in the second half. Brickeys...like my horse today are still running. Work rate up and down...one time they didn't get back they let a Rathgormack man waltz from midfield threw to score without being touched once...
    Cormac Curran and Ciaran O' Neill ran the game for Brickeys... Curran won about 9/10 kickouts sent his way. Only standout was Brickeys centre back...David Ryan, former Waterford footballer, about 40 years old, he played a stormer. Didn't get over 30% movement wise once, moved side to side expertly, he may be 40 years old, in and around, but he returned last year and dragged Brickeys to a quarter final, should be considered for the co footballers, never happen but he is the best centre back in the co football in my opinion. Better than S Prendergast. Other player is Ciaran O' Neill, 18, should be in the co senior team, started corner back for the weak co u21 team... All in all a poor day of poorly executed defensive football, Brickeys were not clinical or cynical enough to win. 4 points in 15-20 minutes of playing against 14 men, fair play to Brickey management though brought them back from the dead, always a team that get better later on in the championship. I would tip them to be in the co football senior final this year. Be a decent bet.

Again read my last post. Its the type of fundraising is the problem. Kilkenny bring in Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart we bring in Jedward!!! Again as I previously said the Dls current draw is what should be looked at. As for hurler on the ditch don't make me laugh I support every draw every function every fundraiser organised towards Waterford hurling,have lost money over Waterford hurling so I would imagine you're not including me in that comment. Oh and we won't talk about"expenses" still outstanding from my account! I've seen the REAL hurlers up close and seen exactly what they've lost personally and financially so we won't go there either! Throw away comments like yours that play to the like button on the end of the post are great but the truth/facts are what I rather discuss.

Well your admitting there that its the county board are the reason for the financial mess and lack of resources available for county teams, then why use it to have a go at derek mcgrath for 'prostituting himself' and the players who are trying their best to raise a little bit to help the cause in their spare time. If your the big supporter you say you are then you wouldnt be trying to make a mockery out of them, anyone would think you have your own bitter agenda. As regards me only fishing for likes well if my comment is getting a few likes then maybe its a sign that people agree that some of your comments were out of order

Well your admitting there that its the county board are the reason for the financial mess and lack of resources available for county teams, then why use it to have a go at derek mcgrath for 'prostituting himself' and the players who are trying their best to raise a little bit to help the cause in their spare time. If your the big supporter you say you are then you wouldnt be trying to make a mockery out of them, anyone would think you have your own bitter agenda. As regards me only fishing for likes well if my comment is getting a few likes then maybe its a sign that people agree that some of your comments were out of order

Mockery? Where in any of my posts did I make a mockery of them? I stated FACTS there's a difference. McGrath shouldn't be prostituting himself around the world for money or players or ex players for that matter if the thing was organised properly. I am not in the business of posting politically correct posts here to gain self esteem I call it as I see it with no bitter agenda only the thing to be done properly. You seem to think that the minute the regime is questioned or criticised there's a hidden agenda but unfortunately you are wrong there aswell because when you are amongst those keyboard warriors today saying the right things I will be ferrying the next crop of hopeful underage talent around the county,and like every other volunteers that do it,we will keep doing it for the betterment of Waterford hurling not for any hidden agendas of self esteem. If I,like everyone else that pays into fundraising activities for the county team see what is being done as being amateurish then we are entitled to have our say. If this was being run properly,like a business,then the manager and players need not be doing what they are doing at the moment. You need professional people,people that can think outside the box to run the thing successfully and that can provide a consistent stream of proper finance to help us be successful. I take my hat off to McGrath and everyone that is doing these fundraising junkets but again I reiterate,if the thing is organised properly then these guys could be down in Carriganore this weekend instead of being over in a bar in Cricklewood in London.

Mockery? Where in any of my posts did I make a mockery of them? I stated FACTS there's a difference. McGrath shouldn't be prostituting himself around the world for money or players or ex players for that matter if the thing was organised properly. I am not in the business of posting politically correct posts here to gain self esteem I call it as I see it with no bitter agenda only the thing to be done properly. You seem to think that the minute the regime is questioned or criticised there's a hidden agenda but unfortunately you are wrong there aswell because when you are amongst those keyboard warriors today saying the right things I will be ferrying the next crop of hopeful underage talent around the county,and like every other volunteers that do it,we will keep doing it for the betterment of Waterford hurling not for any hidden agendas of self esteem. If I,like everyone else that pays into fundraising activities for the county team see what is being done as being amateurish then we are entitled to have our say. If this was being run properly,like a business,then the manager and players need not be doing what they are doing at the moment. You need professional people,people that can think outside the box to run the thing successfully and that can provide a consistent stream of proper finance to help us be successful. I take my hat off to McGrath and everyone that is doing these fundraising junkets but again I reiterate,if the thing is organised properly then these guys could be down in Carriganore this weekend instead of being over in a bar in Cricklewood in London.

What about the kerry footballers who went to America and raised millions for their centre of excellence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I reiterate,if the thing is organised properly then these guys could be down in Carriganore this weekend instead of being over in a bar in Cricklewood in London.

They will be in Carriganore, training at 8 pm this evening when the people in London return. The seniors also trained Friday evening. No preparation for next week has been interrupted so don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Getting back to the Minor team lads we were in absolute Rag order the other night the players are certainly there to be beating Cork.

From my observation what really struck me was the below,

Our warm up - The first touch drills should not be done with 4/5 players behind a cone. The first touch should be 1 on 1, 13yards apart and move back to 20 yards then for 2 on 2 to raise the heart rate.
    A game of posession with 24 players doesnt make sense at all way too many so the touch to player ratio is crazy.
    How many balls did we fumble in the game??

Then the game itself-
    We seemed to play like there was no gameplan no movements off the ball, very poor distribution & no attempt to use our corners or switch the play to beat the sweeper.
    In the first half we had a very strong wind yet we played with a sweeper which seemed crazy to allow Cork play an uncontested sweeper.
    Every puckout Billy Nolan hit landed on the Cork 20 (1st Half) but with the evening Sun setting it was impossible to field the ball properly and anyone who was at the game would have seen the amount of times we failed here and in fact broke the ball for Cork to mop up (Uncontested sweeper) and management done nothing to change this.

Harry Ruddle is an excellent free taker he took the DLS harty team frees and was never called upon once the other night.

Why was Glen Waters only given 3 mins when he is not injured,He should be starting if not given more time to influence a game.

Players positioning-
    Looking at certain players in positions they started in you'd have to question a few,

Jack Prendergast is potentially lethal given the right supply, he can run at teams score off his left & his right he should have been out on the 45 either wing or centre,

Thomas Douglas is not a corner forward he doesnt have the burst of pace needed to be one, what he is though, is probably the biggest threat we have of getting a goal his place is edge of the square or no where. Dropped an awful lot of ball in the game but has potential.

Mikey Mahony is a very good player but in my eyes is not a centre forward. He is more a wing forward or a corner and is another excellent free taker if needed.

Dylan Guiry is a handful and a nuisance for any defender real footballer physically tough but i felt he was not our best option to start in the 6 forwards his hurling let him down very limited but credit to him he kept goin til the end chasing everything. Management again never changed things quick enough.

Eoghan Murray for me was allowed way too much freedom he wasnt inclined to mark anyone and hit a good few wides 9 i think from frees an play. I recall Douglas being unmarked inside him in a goalscoring position and murray never saw him.No fault of his own he's not a forward.
    I would play him either as a Midfielder/wing back he has a great drive on a ball, a good hand. His distribution needs to be adjusted but again its very easy fix.

The half back line was cleaned out completely. Any decent hurling team you see will have their strongest line as their half back line.

Darragh McGrath - Harry Ruddle - Mike O'Brien
    This was the biggest weakness but i mean no insult to the players here i just felt they were positioned all wrong.

Harry Ruddle is a good midfielder/Wing forward the poor chap never played centre back.
    Cathal Curran could be a better option here he's athletic,physical, good hand and can hurl.

Donal Power was in corner back this lad has been half back for Passage Seniors last year and not once looked out of place. Wasted in the corner back position as he could be turned a bit easier then maybe the likes of Tom Barron.
    Also Conor Dalton came off the bench and was inmense throughout the 2nd half. He had that hunger you'd watch all day definitely deserves a chance V Tipp.

Billy on the goal, they say they can only get 40mins outta him he's not fit but I'd much rather 40mins then nothing.
    Get him out the field where he is needed. He can be a massive player for us. Another excellent free taker scored 3pts from placed balls and hit 2 good attempts for a goal when behind by 5pts.

Lastly,
    What was going on at half time when the players went in at half time the management all stayed by the dugout and i couldn't quite see who but someone came down from the stand and seemed to be calling the shots to management team. Who looked stunned yet being a point ahead in the game. Overall as badly organised as we were, we still could of nicked the game so plenty of hope still left in this team. I really think we can go somewhere with this team.
    The management need to realise that.

I heard Davy Fitz was spending 50,000 a month when he was in charge. Physio expenses were huge at the time.

In a hilarious turn of events, the same man turned round and said that there needs to be a level playing field for County's expenditure there two weeks. Even his own Clare side had one less member of backroom staff than the Dublin footballers (25 I believe) two years ago.

Some stiff neck that fella.

I heard Davy Fitz was spending 50,000 a month when he was in charge. Physio expenses were huge at the time.

In a hilarious turn of events, the same man turned round and said that there needs to be a level playing field for County's expenditure there two weeks. Even his own Clare side had one less member of backroom staff than the Dublin footballers (25 I believe) two years ago.

Some stiff neck that fella.

I don't blame Davy for anything. Its the yes-men that bowed down to his every request that has left us in the ****

passed out by carriganore about a half hour ago and there was a match going on. One team were wearing blue vests and the other were wearing Limerick Jerseys. not sure if it was the seniors playing ???

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Pat Bennett, was the chap who was advising???, or giving his opinion to the Minor Management team at half time, does a good session/training does pat, would consider him one of the better coaches i've trained under, all snappy , good drills, bring's good enthusiasm to it, would be surprised if he was involved in any of the training / organisation of the minor team prior to last Wed night, as i would consider he does his best work training wise on the week leading up to a game, and they were dead but to wash them, Plus getting back to the game it self, agree with poster above re team/player placement, you could have made a case that all 15 were put in positions they would normally not occupy, or should not, you usually get about 2/3 players who are good enough and adapt, but it won't work with the majority of the team, i would be very surprised if we change the next day, after all if the cry is give the ball to eoghan we're in serious trouble.

Pat Bennett, was the chap who was advising???, or giving his opinion to the Minor Management team at half time, does a good session/training does pat, would consider him one of the better coaches i've trained under, all snappy , good drills, bring's good enthusiasm to it, would be surprised if he was involved in any of the training / organisation of the minor team prior to last Wed night, as i would consider he does his best work training wise on the week leading up to a game, and they were dead but to wash them, .

Pat Bennett has a good reputation as a coach, but the worry for me is why was he called down from the stand on the night to give advice to management? He's not named as part of the management setup. Did they not have a clue what they were looking at out on the field and start to panic? If he was involved in the week leading up to it begs the question about the quality of people that are overseeing our minor teams. There should be no need to bring someone in like that if the guys that have been with the group from the start are up to the task. Some of the decisions made regarding positioning and free taking last week leads me to believe once again we have a minor management team way out of their depth

Pat Bennett has a good reputation as a coach, but the worry for me is why was he called down from the stand on the night to give advice to management? He's not named as part of the management setup. Did they not have a clue what they were looking at out on the field and start to panic? If he was involved in the week leading up to it begs the question about the quality of people that are overseeing our minor teams. There should be no need to bring someone in like that if the guys that have been with the group from the start are up to the task. Some of the decisions made regarding positioning and free taking last week leads me to believe once again we have a minor management team way out of their depth

All teams should have someone in the stand watching the game, you get a much better perspective of whats happening.

All teams should have someone in the stand watching the game, you get a much better perspective of whats happening.

Ya would totally agree - nearly all of the senior clubs would I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I see tickets for Sunday can be bought for €15 in Centra/Supervalu, €5 reduction and tickets will be €20 on the day. The price to get into Wexford Park for the quarter final was €20 on the day... did the Wexford county board pull a fast one or what? Sunday's price is good, very attractive double header, €15 is good value, credit where its due.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I see tickets for Sunday can be bought for €15 in Centra/Supervalu, €5 reduction and tickets will be €20 on the day. The price to get into Wexford Park for the quarter final was €20 on the day... did the Wexford county board pull a fast one or what? Sunday's price is good, very attractive double header, €15 is good value, credit where its due.

It was 20 for all the hurling qfs

I'm expecting a crowd of around 20-25000 on Sunday. With both games being on TV I'd say it might affect attendance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

**ONE OF MY FAVOURITE TOMKELLY99 POSTS**

The Waterford County Board haven't a bob. I had to give Tom Cunningham the lend of a fiver so he could go into Tonys chipper in Dungarbum for a variety box there last week. He did give me one of his battered sausages though. He was saying he thinks football is a silly game and he doesn't like it anymore. He was saying that Ballinacourty definitely won't retain the Conway Cup this year. I says,I says,I says 'Tom,how are you so sure?'. He said they were after melting it down and selling it to one of them Cash for Gold places on Browns Road. Instead of a trophy for the winners of the senior football this year,they're giving the winners a signed copy of Bimbo McGraths autobiography 'If You Don't Know Bimbo,Don't Judge Bimbo.' Then he gave me another chip and headed off. The hurlers are in good shape for the Clare game. I met Michael Ryan at Wrestlemania above in Dublin a few weeks back. He was very impressed with Jon Cena,said he'd make a fine full back some day. He was telling meself and the wife that midfield will be crucial. He's probably going to start Timmy Ryan and Nichola Beresford, but Geoff Harris has a chance too. Full back will be a big call, but he reckons Gilbert O'Sullivan,Shane and Billys brother, is absolutely flying in training and should get the nod. That Chris Doran fella will probably be in the corner instead of Noel Connors. He's a mighty man for a singsong apparently. The wife got me one of them smart phones for my birthday. I hate it. The buttons are very small. This has taken me three weeks to type. I'm on Twatter now,I use it to keep in touch with gaa news and my daughter in San Francisco. My name on it is @thetomkelly99 . It's a stupid name. Tis hard to believe there's 98 other tools with that name. I met Marty Morrissey at a clubhouse opening in Dunhill a few weeks back. Jesus he's fair smooth with the wimmin. They were eating out of the palm of his hand. No really,they were,they had no plates and he has massive hands. He thinks Clare will win the All-Ireland in the hurling,and in the football. And he reckons that Clare might just win the intermediate hurling too. And the junior football. The U21 football is too close to call,but he thinks that Clare will win it. In the U21 hurling,he said his head was saying Clare,but his heart thinks that Clare will win it. The minor is anyone's he said,hurling and football. He thinks it'll probably be a Munster team will win both. I said 'Cork?' No,he says,he says,he says, 'I think it'll be Clare.' I never did find out where he was from.

I miss Tom Kelly...

Pat Bennett, was the chap who was advising???, or giving his opinion to the Minor Management team at half time, does a good session/training does pat, would consider him one of the better coaches i've trained under, all snappy , good drills, bring's good enthusiasm to it, would be surprised if he was involved in any of the training / organisation of the minor team prior to last Wed night, as i would consider he does his best work training wise on the week leading up to a game, and they were dead but to wash them, Plus getting back to the game it self, agree with poster above re team/player placement, you could have made a case that all 15 were put in positions they would normally not occupy, or should not, you usually get about 2/3 players who are good enough and adapt, but it won't work with the majority of the team, i would be very surprised if we change the next day, after all if the cry is give the ball to eoghan we're in serious trouble.

Pat certainly has a reputation alright!

That money was only resting in my account father....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Best. Post. Ever.
    Meself and Mrs.Kelly went to the match above in Cork.The traffic was grand.We only got stuck in Kilmeaden,Lemybrien,Dungarvan,Grange,Kinsalebeg,the Youghal bypass,Killeagh,Castlemartyr,the Midleton dual carriageway,the Dunkettle roundabout,the Mahon junction,Blackrock and a bit of difficulty parking.Other than that it was plain sailing.Cork is a great venue for the game.Frank Murphy always organises it so that it's dry whenever there is a big game on there.I wish he'd organise the seats in the uncovered stand though.I think they were designed for Corks thriving midget colony.I'd Tom Coffey from the Bachelors in Trouble sticking his knees into my back for the whole game.It was mildly frustrating,if not entirely unerotic.He was talking all the way through the game.I thought he was watching basketball for a while.He knows nothing about hurling.He should be a selector for the team really.

I was very happy with the game. Other than the beating we got and the fact that we were outclassed in every position on the field, I think we got our tactics and gameplan absolutely spot on. Davy is good like that,he's clever,much like a fox.He probably planned all this.He's after fooling all the experts into thinking we're clueless.But we're not.We're smart out.We're waiting in the long grass now for everyone.It just happens that the grass around us is very very long.

I thought it was a big call out of Davy to play a brick at full back. I mean,a brick having to mark Lar Corvette or Eoin Kelly or John Whatshisname? A brick is way too small.A concrete block wall might have done the job.But a solitary brick? No no Davy,never going to work.
    It was very smart of Davy to name Noel Hunt and Kelly Proper in the subs.Kelly Proper is full of running.Noel Hunt is full of brains.Together they're a lethal combination.

If Tipp hadn't got all them goals the game would have gone to a replay.Bill Clinton Hennessy was very unlucky for all the goals.What people don't know is that Bill Clinton has a rare condition that means he falls over at completely random times.He's on tablets for it and everything.But he got his tablets mixed up on Saturday night before he went to bed and he took Solpadeine by mistake.So it just so happened that the seven times Tipp shot at goal,he fell over due to his medical condition.He would have stopped them otherwise.It was very unfortunate timing.I saw it happen to him once before,in a junior hurling game with Ardmore.He left in 23 goals that day against the Geraldines.Being hinest and on balance,I thought we deserved to win it,but Tipp deserved to win it too.

Galway are next.I think they are very beatable.I mean,they have Ger Canning playing full forward for them.Ger Canning is useless.He is a terrible commentator and just as poor as a hurler.He had one good game once and now everyone makes out that he's Leonardo da Vinci or Donatello or one of the other turtles.He's very average.We'll win handy.But we need everyone to keep the faith.This Waterford team is only as good as its weakest link.And by Jesus,I'm not going to be that weakest link.So I'm going,I'm bringing the family and as many people as I can fit in the Datsun.And everyone should do the same.Except Chris Doran.He can stay and lock up the public toilets down the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I had forgotten how funny Tom Kelly was - come back Tom!!

http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=253574

very similar to what was said about Wexford 2 weeks ago. 'wanting to prove a point, false stories of unrest in the camp etc.

rumours Hannon could be out for them and we have no major injury concerns going into the game.

very championship feel to both League semi finals and 2 good games hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Darragh Fives anyone?? Is he fit

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

courtylad wrote: »
    1) Clinton Hennessy
    2) Joe Harney, 3) Austin Flynn, 4) Noel Connors
    5) Tony Browne, 6) Fergal Hartley, 7) ?
    8) Michael "Brick" Walsh, 9) ?
    10) Austin Gleeson, 11) Eoin Kelly, 12) Ken McGrath
    13) John Mullane, 14) Dan Shanahan, 15) Paul Flynn

If you have a Player for the year would have to be included, hence Dan, cant fill in the other two. This team is disfactoring workrate :D And the ability to run but more on natural ability and skill in that position.

My all time best Waterford 15

1 Ned Power
    2 Joe Harney
    3 Austin Flynn
    4 Damien Byrne
    5 Tony Browne
    6 John Keane
    7 Martin óG
    8 Philly Grimes
    9 Eoin Kelly
    10 Ken McGrath
    11 Frankie Walsh
    12 Tom Casey
    13 John Mullane
    14 Tom Cheasty
    15 Paul Flynn

Think they would be hard bet

I would not like to see any ridiculous comments, e.g. we should be pulled out of the co minor football championship after the Kerry game. This Kerry team is meant to be the real deal. This waterford co minor team is small enough and I wouldnt expect much. Unlike the co minor hurlers it seems they actually have a good backroom staff in the likes of Curran, Lenihan, Browne and Nugent the manager, throw in Hurney if he's involved. They have had us run Cork and Kerry close over the past three years and knocked off the rest in munster, not a great team, a great backroom staff...They will play the hand there dealt...But its because of them and the youth structure they have in place Waterford will be Division 2 struggling, strong division 3... Being in Munster finals every couple of years, may a win in won if lucky... Doesnt seem like much but the underage structure that they have implemented means in 6-10 years at senior football waterford will be an above average county. With your best full forward in the county playing centre back (obviously kerry will be in our half much more) to get on the ball I wouldnt bank much on this game. Predicted 20+ point win to Kerry. I hope to be proven wrong though. 5 minutes to throw in.

• Advertisement

My all time best Waterford 15

1 Ned Power
    2 Joe Harney
    3 Austin Flynn
    4 Damien Byrne
    5 Tony Browne
    6 John Keane
    7 Martin óG
    8 Philly Grimes
    9 Eoin Kelly
    10 Ken McGrath
    11 Frankie Walsh
    12 Tom Casey
    13 John Mullane
    14 Tom Cheasty
    15 Paul Flynn

Think they would be hard bet

One too many player from the last all ireland, hard to judge... You need to be done by someone really who saw that all ireland winning team all the way through, however not many people left who have seen the two all irelands to - present. I only know a handful.

Co Minor Football Quarter Final
    Three Minutes Played:
    Kerry 0-03 to Waterford 0-00

David Clifford (0-03, 1f).

One too many player from the last all ireland, hard to judge... You need to be done by someone really who saw that all ireland winning team all the way through, however not many people left who have seen the two all irelands to - present. I only know a handful.

I know what your saying but it's hard to ignore an all ireland winning Waterford team, I would know of a few people to follow Waterford hurling from back then and from talking to them if they picked it in sure there would be more than 8 on it.

Kerry 0-9 Waterford 0-0 13mins

Minor : Ciarraí Goal from play. Daniel O Brien (Glenflesk)
    [1st Half 22:45]
    Ciarraí 1-12(15) Port Láirge 0-01(1)

Kerry 1-13 Waterford 0-1 ht

• Advertisement

Kerry 2-16 Waterford 1-1 cathal Curan goal (brickeys)

Kerry 2-16 Waterford 1-1 cathal Curan goal (brickeys)

who got our point, 2nd?

who got our point, 2nd?

Ciaran Kirwan

Kerry 2-21 Waterford 1-2 ft
    Speaks for itself really

Kerry 2-21 Waterford 1-2 ft
    Speaks for itself really

I would of made them start a brawl and gotten the match abandoned, not a good result.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement