Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

courtylad wrote: »
    I would of made them start a brawl and gotten the match abandoned, not a good result.

every waterford football team should do it and get banned from every comp :D:D:D:D

save the country board a bit of money

• Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    every waterford football team should do it and get banned from every comp :D:D:D:D

save the country board a bit of money

We did it against Donegal in 1997 or 1998, they went up, brawl started... we never stopped until the ref had to abandon the game and it was replayed... Went on to win the Ulster and All Ireland. Happens more often than you'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

courtylad wrote: »
    We did it against Donegal in 1997 or 1998, they went up, brawl started... we never stopped until the ref had to abandon the game and it was replayed... Went on to win the Ulster and All Ireland. Happens more often than you'd think.

It doesn't happen at inter county level at all, I certainly don't remember the last game that was abandoned other than because of weather.

And what were the perspective Ulster and AI champions ( 1992 was the year) playing Waterford in, with all due respect?

very little chat on Sundays match here

Declan Hannon is hopeful that he may feature on sunday.

Prob will be the same team who played against Wexford for us.

id like to see this team

1 SOK

2 S Fives
    3 S Mcnulty
    4 N Connors

5 T De Burca
    6 A Gleeson
    7 G O Brien

8 J Barron
    9 M Shanahan

10 K Moran
    11 S Bennett
    12 Pauric Mahony

13 P Curran
    14 J Dillion
    15 B O Halloran

options of the Brick, Philip Mahony, Dunford, Coughlan and possibily Stephen Bennett on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Munster GAA website has the minor hurlers down to play Tipp in Walsh Park on Saturday 23.04.2016... is this correct? Saturday games at minor level are very rare, but its a good idea i believe. Was Kilkenny in Walsh Park in an All Ireland quarter final a few years ago the last time we hosted a Saturday game?

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Munster GAA website has the minor hurlers down to play Tipp in Walsh Park on Saturday 23.04.2016... is this correct? Saturday games at minor level are very rare, but its a good idea i believe. Was Kilkenny in Walsh Park in an All Ireland quarter final a few years ago the last time we hosted a Saturday game?

Yes the last time we had a minor game on a Saturday was the qf in 2011 vs kilkenny (which we won well) but the last time we had a Saturday game was the senior all Ireland qualifier vs laois in 2014 in Walsh park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

very little chat on Sundays match here

Declan Hannon is hopeful that he may feature on sunday.

Prob will be the same team who played against Wexford for us.

id like to see this team

1 SOK

2 S Fives
    3 S Mcnulty
    4 N Connors

5 T De Burca
    6 A Gleeson
    7 G O Brien

8 J Barron
    9 M Shanahan

10 K Moran
    11 S Bennett
    12 Pauric Mahony

13 P Curran
    14 J Dillion
    15 B O Halloran

options of the Brick, Philip Mahony, Dunford, Coughlan and possibily Stephen Bennett on the bench

Philip Mahony has to start, one of our best (if not, best) performer in this league.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Philip Mahony has to start, one of our best (if not, best) performer in this league.

He deserves a rest but same can be said for Austin,Kevin Moran and Shane Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He deserves a rest but same can be said for Austin,Kevin Moran and Shane Bennett.
    What???? Who rests players in a league semi final?? And anyway he was rested against Galway. McNulty full back? Tell me what has Coughlan done wrong? Gavin O Brien instead of Mahony you're having a laugh sham. Pauric Mahony is not fit enough to start yet, stop now

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What???? Who rests players in a league semi final?? And anyway he was rested against Galway. McNulty full back? Tell me what has Coughlan done wrong? Gavin O Brien instead of Mahony you're having a laugh sham. Pauric Mahony is not fit enough to start yet, stop now

It's our last chance to experiment before the championship. Gob played well in the galway game and got the last point. We can always sub players if things don't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I'll be surprised if there is any experimentation at this stage. I think McGrath will pick the strongest 15 available. Depending on injury to Darragh Fives being cleared up in time we could see this 15.

1. SOK
    2. S Fives
    3. B Coughlan
    4. N Connors
    5. D Fives
    6. T de Burca
    7. P Mahony
    8. K Moran
    9. J Barron
    10. Brick/Dillon
    11. Sh Bennett
    12. A Gleeson
    13. P Curran
    14. M Shanahan
    15. C Dunford

Both Brick and Dillon could start but not sure who they'd drop. If Darragh Fives isn't fit then Moran moves into half back line with Gleeson to midfield and then both Brick and Dillon start. It'll be interesting to see if Pauric Mahony sees any game time probably unlikely although he's quoted in the Examiner as saying "I’m after playing four or five games with Waterford now, some training matches and a game with the club."
    McGrath will be hoping that if Waterford do come through that we'll meet Kilkenny and not Clare in the final for obvious reasons. Plus I would think that the Waterford players would love another crack off Kilkenny to see have we progressed from the semi final last year as little to nothing could be taken from the league win earlier this year.
    Waterford with a more settled back line and high workrate could be the difference on Sunday, but this should be a very close game and maybe it will come down to making the right call on the sideline regarding substitutions.

I'll be surprised if there is any experimentation at this stage. I think McGrath will pick the strongest 15 available. Depending on injury to Darragh Fives being cleared up in time we could see this 15.

1. SOK
    2. S Fives
    3. B Coughlan
    4. N Connors
    5. D Fives
    6. T de Burca
    7. P Mahony
    8. K Moran
    9. J Barron
    10. Brick/Dillon
    11. Sh Bennett
    12. A Gleeson
    13. P Curran
    14. M Shanahan
    15. C Dunford

Both Brick and Dillon could start but not sure who they'd drop. If Darragh Fives isn't fit then Moran moves into half back line with Gleeson to midfield and then both Brick and Dillon start. It'll be interesting to see if Pauric Mahony sees any game time probably unlikely although he's quoted in the Examiner as saying "I’m after playing four or five games with Waterford now, some training matches and a game with the club."
    McGrath will be hoping that if Waterford do come through that we'll meet Kilkenny and not Clare in the final for obvious reasons. Plus I would think that the Waterford players would love another crack off Kilkenny to see have we progressed from the semi final last year as little to nothing could be taken from the league win earlier this year.
    Waterford with a more settled back line and high workrate could be the difference on Sunday, but this should be a very close game and maybe it will come down to making the right call on the sideline regarding substitutions.

if we start off the way we did vs wexford than this game will be over early for us.

if we start off the way we did vs wexford than this game will be over early for us.
    Why?

Why?

Limerick are not going to miss the chances Wexford did and will go for goals early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Limerick are not going to miss the chances Wexford did and will go for goals early.

If they play like they did againest Wexford Limerick will win pulling up.....hoping to see a big improvement Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

If they play like they did againest Wexford Limerick will win pulling up.....hoping to see a big improvement Sunday

While Limerick improvement the last day was noticeable especially with the Na Piarsaigh players back,can they put two games back to back? Normally when you expect limerick to produce they fall short so I won't be too surprised if the same happens on Sunday. From our own perspective an improvement from Wexford park is hugely required but one I think we will produce. There seems to be an upswing in concern over our negative tactics but I think we will see a different approach on Sunday. Limerick's space will be limited in attack and I don't think they will be able to handle this intensive workrate of ours. Waterford by 5-6pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Limerick - NQuaid SOBrien RMcCarthy REnglish POBrien DByrnes RLynch GOMahony PBrowne GHegarty JRyan CLynch BNash KDownes TMorrissey

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Daragh fives named instead of Maurice

Deise189 wrote: »
    Daragh fives named instead of Maurice

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)

2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)

4. Noel Connors (Passage)

5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)

6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

18. Darragh Fives (Tourin)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle) - Capt

11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)

13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)

14. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)

15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

• Advertisement

Maurice has to be injured?? Glad Darragh is back but I would have thought Jake Dillon or Colin Dunford would be gone

Maurice has to be injured?? Glad Darragh is back but I would have thought Jake Dillon or Colin Dunford would be gone

possible dummy team named. hopefully Maurice has not walked off the panel or something like that. He could just have the flu ???

who will take frees now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Lads what do be ye be seeing at games at all?? Look closely at how we play (how we are set out) an see the work Dillon and indeed Dunford does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Lads what do be ye be seeing at games at all?? Look closely at how we play (how we are set out) an see the work Dillon and indeed Dunford does.

Yeah wouldn't drop either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

yes ,they have been turned into two defenders ,,instead of us enjoying their forward play and delighting in their scores ,we are now watching them run around like footballers ,,desperate really

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Yeah wouldn't drop either to be honest.

I think Dillon in undroppable this year - the man puts in some shift

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    I think Dillon in undroppable this year - the man puts in some shift
    it would be nice to see him play as a forward and not a glorified defender /footballer ,,man is just used and abused in his current role

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

All the players put in a big shift in fairness. I wouldn't drop Dillion or Dunford. A half forwards role is is to defend as much as it is to attack, its the team effort that wins the game.

Normally its P Curran and Maurice that are up front, as Maurice is out with a calf injury who will be the second full forward. I guess Curran will be on the 65's and closer in frees if any. Should be a good game anyways, Limerick have the hurlers and they showed it the last day in Parnell park.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Maurice has to be injured??

McGrath never names Maurice in the team announced on Friday night. He usually names Tom Devine in midfield but he is then replaced by Maurice on the day. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Maurice always wears No 21 and they are not allowed to name someone with this number. If so, then it is plain silly and annoying for supporters. My advice is to ignore the team announced on Friday and just wait for the match day itself.

McGrath never names a dummy team. The team announced and published on the Waterford GAA twitter and Facebook pages gives the players with the numbers they are wearing, Maurice is given 21 but named to start in any team Ive seen him start on.

Even look at the team announced above, Darragh Fives is number 18. But if you look at your programme having not seen the team that was named you will think its a dummy team when its not. The programme is the issue.

This is the way the team could line out for majority/some of the game.

1. S O K
    2. S Fives, 3. Coughlan, 4. Connors
    5. T De burca
    10. Moran, 18. D Fives, 7. Mahony
    15. Dunford, 8. Barron
    12. Brick, 11. Bennett, 14, Dillon
    13. Curran, 6. Gleeson

Someone needs to take over Maurices roll in the full forward line and Gleeson is probably most suited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

1. S O K
    5. T De burca
    15. Dunford, 8. Barron
    13. Curran, 6. Gleeson

Someone needs to take over Maurices roll in the full forward line and Gleeson is probably most suited.

Anytime gleeson is used in full forward it is seen to be a mistake and he is quickly moved back. The man needs to be on the ball as much as possible and that means in midfield or half back. People lamenting Jake Dillon's lack of use as a forward need to remember that for a good few years in Waterford he hasn't really been lighting up the sky as a scoring forward. Better to be used the way he is now.

Maurice is a hugre loss

Must of been hurt in training last night

Waterford and Clare to win I think. Limerick forward line weakened by absentees. Kilkenny missing a lot of players.

Waterford and Clare to win I think. Limerick forward line weakened by absentees. Kilkenny missing a lot of players.
    I'm hoping Clare don't win....I couldn't be listening to the same talk that was going on last year with Cork not trying in the league final, they only cared about the Championship...and especially with Davy Fitz the amount of bullsh__ would be unreal

I'm hoping Clare don't win....I couldn't be listening to the same talk that was going on last year with Cork not trying in the league final, they only cared about the Championship...and especially with Davy Fitz the amount of bullsh__ would be unreal

Conversely, if Clare were to win the league the hype would go into over drive which would suit fine going into the Munster semi.

As long as we keep winning though don't really mind who else wins other games.

Conversely, if Clare were to win the league the hype would go into over drive which would suit fine going into the Munster semi.

As long as we keep winning though don't really mind who else wins other games.

dont worry after they win the league they will go off and climb mountains, be in the woods fighting bears etc and be ready for june.

I do think Clare will have a good summer

For 2morrow I think glesson and darragh fives will switch positions.

Jesus, bad and all as our lads are prepared for the minor football, we haven't a patch on KK. Lost 17-20 to 0-0 v Wexford today.

The GAA need to take a look at how these hammerings happen, would have to include our underage hidings as well along with the Wicklow minor hurlers getting jockeyed by Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

1. S O K
    5. T De burca
    15. Dunford, 8. Barron
    13. Curran, 6. Gleeson

Horrendous waste of talent to stick Gleason in there...

Yes he's most suited....but his contribution out field and skill level is too good to waste as a big man to hump the ball in high to at full forward IMO

KevIRL wrote: »
    Jesus, bad and all as our lads are prepared for the minor football, we haven't a patch on KK. Lost 17-20 to 0-0 v Wexford today.

The GAA need to take a look at how these hammerings happen, would have to include our underage hidings as well along with the Wicklow minor hurlers getting jockeyed by Meath.

To be fair, minor football in this County doesn't have plentiful resources but they also have the issue of some of the best players often no playing. And by all accounts that Kerry team is meant to be special. Certainly, St Brendans Killarney were a special group.

That is a joke though, how do you concede 17 goals in a match? Feel sorry for the players to some degree all the same, they're going to get a lot of stick but then it's the kind of scoreline that has to be seen to be believed.

Bennett and Gleeson will likely swap in and out and Tom Devine will go in there when he comes on.

Reports that Maurice is out completely with a hamstring injury.

• Advertisement

Horrendous waste of talent to stick Gleason in there...

Yes he's most suited....but his contribution out field and skill level is too good to waste as a big man to hump the ball in high to at full forward IMO[/be all the same who is in there ,they are going to be in there on their own surrounded by at least three backs to contend with ,absolutely horrible ,whether they get a result or not

O Riain wrote: »
    Anytime gleeson is used in full forward it is seen to be a mistake and he is quickly moved back. The man needs to be on the ball as much as possible and that means in midfield or half back. People lamenting Jake Dillon's lack of use as a forward need to remember that for a good few years in Waterford he hasn't really been lighting up the sky as a scoring forward. Better to be used the way he is now.

This is the problem really when Maurice is out because in fairness to Maurice he wins ball when surrounded and causes problems even when there's 2/3 backs on him. The reason why they've tried Gleeson in there is if he could win a ball he'd be hard to stop that close to goal but unfortunately its very difficult to do what Maurice has done so far, he makes himself as big and awkward as possible. Shanahan is the only forward we have that can play that role.
    When Shanahan is injured McGrath really needs to change things up front and commit more players forward. Limerick apparently have picked a team that's suited to play against a defensive team like Waterford, where they have players in the halfback line and around the middle that can put points over from distance. I hope McGrath goes more offensive early in the game to keep Limerick guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Most of Limerick's scores are coming from quick puckouts to spare man and working it up the field. About 6 Waterford players on yellow cards and making unusually high number of handling errors but only a point in it. Plenty room for improvement provided they finish with 15.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Has Barry Kelly made up some new rule where every foul no matter what is a yellow card . Absolute shocking refereeing there today. I counted about 17 yellow cards of which 3 were warranted. Patrick Curran loses out for nothing. Great second half performance. Darragh Fives, Brick and Shane Bennett superb

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

He booked paddy by mistake for the first yellow. He's a useless ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

and we got goals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

He booked paddy by mistake for the first yellow. He's a useless ref

hopefully he can appeal the first yellow shefflin style, 3-23 shockingly good scoring , not to mention kills this talk of lack of goals, bring on the league final

Second half score was 3-12 to 1-6 great stuff.

Paddy Curran worth a few Bob at 20/1 for young hurler of the year

Clare or kilkenny for the final ???

• Advertisement

Is Paddy Curran gone for the final? Hardly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement