Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads Shane Bennett is something else. Defenders worst nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Is Paddy Curran gone for the final? Hardly

Nah 2 yellows no suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dis Clare team scares me when they click. One hell of a battle we have in June (and potentially may 1st too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dis Clare team scares me when they click. One hell of a battle we have in June (and potentially may 1st too)

you were worrying getting over westmeath , these lads can run through walls for us,and they will looks like a repeat of last year playing cork twice but playing clare twice, there was a real passion stopping clare taking us befire the od guard retired hopefully the same attitude is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Brick Walsh was outstading today, just immense. Great effort all round, Kellys general reffing was fine but giving out yellow cards like confetti is asking for trouble.

Jamie Barron had one after 5 mins for a foul I saw committed twice in the first 35 seconds of the second game with no free given. It was a free, no more. And Id need to see Currans again. What exactly did Tadhg Bourke get a yellow for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

courtylad wrote: »
    Played Football with them co. minor - senior (three years), would of only been extended, got one start ulster and a few sub appearance, came down here for work, no jobs in my line of work in tyrone, around 25 after i finished university... we would of had club hurling contray to the thought, like waterford hurling was and still is popular to a similar level. Small counties, best players play hurling and tyrone football.

County lad, it is the vile abuse of peoples families and recently dead relatives including suicide victims, and the diving and time wasting that a lot of people associate with Tyrone rather than putting your heads in front of people boots! Pretending that other peoples boots came into contact with them, certainly :)

There are Tyrone players of the recent past that others from Kerry, Mayo, Dublin and elsewhere would cross the road if they saw them first.

Nice legacy.

Anyway, congrats to Waterford today. Should be humdinger of final and classic Munster championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Fantastic second half display, jesus was the ref card happy or what, certainly wasn't a dirty game. The major positive from today has to be the attacking threat, we'v lacked goals badly during the league, to score 3 and create 3 other clear chances is great stuff, the backs again where as solid as ever. Should be a fierce battle against Clare in two weeks, they were awsome today, that said i think our backs won't give away two really soft goals like KK did today and hopefully Clare won't reach that level again in two weeks.

would love if the gaa had sense and put the league final on in Croke Park. Both Waterford and Clare dont get many chances in Croke Park and playing in a national final there would give each of the players a boost. Prob be Thurles or Limerick though.

Great win today but will either waterford or clare go full throttle on may 1st with the championship game looming ???. I cant wait to hear the articles with Davy and Derek Mcgrath in the coming 2 weeks 'saying how much each team has improved and how much criticism both took in 2014 etc.'

cat supporters absoultley shell shocked today :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

As I thought, we would win today comfortably. Limerick's same old failings surfaced again but in no small part to our own second half display. No doubt about it the final will be a humdinger and one that is too close to call. Clare's injuries if cleared up by then will slightly have an advantage with the calibre of players that they have injured but it will be a tactical battle where Cusack's influence will be tested again.
    As for today,and it's a question that was discussed afterwards,do our forwards play better as a unit going forward when Maurice isn't there? Certainly Curran blossoms when he isn't or is it just a case of fellas sharing the extra workload when he's not available?

cul beag wrote: »
    As I thought, we would win today comfortably. Limerick's same old failings surfaced again but in no small part to our own second half display. No doubt about it the final will be a humdinger and one that is too close to call. Clare's injuries if cleared up by then will slightly have an advantage with the calibre of players that they have injured but it will be a tactical battle where Cusack's influence will be tested again.
    As for today,and it's a question that was discussed afterwards,do our forwards play better as a unit going forward when Maurice isn't there? Certainly Curran blossoms when he isn't or is it just a case of fellas sharing the extra workload when he's not available?

Good point but that's Derek and co's job to try and get the other forwards to maintain there top performances when Maurice is playing.

I'd try something completely different in the league final to fool Davy and Donal og ahead of the championship game but they ould try and fool us too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't mid this fooling and shadow boxing rubbish, just go out and play like we did in the second half and we'll be in with a shout. There's a league title at stake, which we can't say we've won too many of. Would be a great achievement winning back to back league titles.

Great second half by the lads, Shane Bennett and Curran were very effective. Don't think it was a penalty, Bennett looked as if he tripped over himself but the penalty itself was fantastic. Limerick seemed to just stop after that and we powered on. Brick also excellent and made some lovely catches and layoffs.
    There are plenty of critics of a short passing running game but when it comes together it looks really good. The second goal was a good example of this with some nice layoffs and well finished on the ground by Curran.

The backs were very solid, Darragh and Shane Fives very commanding. Barron and Moran full of running. Austin did well at times with some great solo runs skinning a few Limerick players but again just needs to know when to lay the ball off rather then go for the spectacular or run into trouble. Some good points though.
    Need to start a lot sharper the next day though, our stickwork was poor at times in the first half. Taking too long on the ball, taking too much out of the ball and running into tackles and losing possession resulting in coughed up scores.

All in all, very happy to be where we are. Onwards to Thurles for a crack at Clare. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Good point but that's Derek and co's job to try and get the other forwards to maintain there top performances when Maurice is playing.

I'd try something completely different in the league final to fool Davy and Donal og ahead of the championship game but they ould try and fool us too

you shouldn't be let near a keyboard.

Gardner wrote: »
    you shouldn't be let near a keyboard.

Few pints aided that bs lol plus a bit of auto correct on my phone. the main point i was making was each management team will fool try and fool another imo in the league final

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Both teams will try to win the league final and both teams will try to win the 1st round of championship.

They will be no fooling each other or shadow boxing - archaic ideas that will make the losing fans who know no better feel better about themselves in the run up championship

'Yerra McGrath is cute - he didn't want to win that league final anyway' Total BS basically

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Very disappointed with League sunday last night, and the obvious targeting of Waterford's Brick walsh , in the "throwing" debate, by that snide,bitter just got bet Kilkenny ex Player, and i know he said he counted about 15 incidents over both games , yeah but the only clip to hand was Brick walsh's pass to P curran ? , a little bit of Balance here over the national airwaves, because there was no mention of any other player county , that "GOT AWAY" with such a travesty, jesus it was up there with striking with the hurl in poor beaten Eddies Mind, Don't mention it at all, unless it was a constant infringement with the same player on the same team, and it was resulting on said team, benefitting over a number of games, first time it was mentioned, first time it was highlighted, on National tv, on a day that Kilkenny were beaten, and it was put full and centre in all ref's mind that as it was done by a Waterford player, have to watch that from now on said every ref in the country , a bit of fair play please , would be appreciated.
    To the game in question, don't think we're there yet in terms of where we're trying to go, thought Limerick ran out of steam, as they are unfit, R McCarthy clearly tapped Shane Bennetts heel for the Penalty, can't see why everyone is saying it was soft, ref called it right, thought when Darragh fives ring rust was shaken off at half time, we really took over, big game for kevin Moran, worked hard , gets some stick sometimes, but can never fault his endevours, thought Colin Dunford, was doing ok, was a little unlucky to be taken off, thought there was one or two more big plays in him, thought the game passed jake by, and i would have taken him before dunford, Brick was immence, De burca is an absolute gem, Coughlan again did alot of good work, played it simple and strong, soky was not threatened from general play, Shane Bennett is the real deal, i wonder does he have any appreciation for actuall how good he is, doing things at his own pace, yet five times faster in thought and action, with a higher degree of skill than most, real throwback, but works hard, P curran, should not be anywhere but hovering around the edge of the square, finishers finish, see his goal, shane o donnell like, a finisher with confidence and talent, Maurice will bring us more, don't agree with the waterford Play different stuff with him there, just gives us another option, does that mean we will play different again when P Mah is back, Devine is almost making sure he never starts, with his impact when he comes on, shows a wonderfull attitude, happy out, am not fooled by Kilkenny , if Waterford was missing Noel connors both fives, a fully fit P Mahony and were facing a Clare side on the up, we'd struggle yesterday, Clare are good, but Kilkenny having an off day[Panel has been shown now to be a bit bare], ref not pulling them for the same fouls their backs were being pulled for v Tipp, and Kilkenny missing at least three if not 4, of their biggest Performers, with a still not fully fit hogan and Tyrell[is he done???], in the side, Holden was done in though bowed the head , Keeper killed him, but was targeted , smellled weakness and Conlon killed him, Clare are coming big time, but i think a fully fit and organised kilkenny would have been a bigger test, but OVERWHELMING favourites for a league title, Over to you eddie , i'm sure you have a Balanced opinion, yeah and "the Greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist ", no Tactics in kilkenny, what ?, you'd never be up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

It's no surprise that the day we finally 'clicked' was the day that Moran and the Brick finally 'clicked'.

Moran hasn't been up to his usual standard this year and people were saying the Brick was finished.

Well, the two boys showed the doubters.

Have to say I feel a lot more comfortable about the year ahead, not because of the nature of the win, but just because the brick put in a good shift. The man is just immense, his use of the ball is second to none and when he is firing on all cylinders he is an absolute game changer.

Edit: It was obvious that TDB had shaken off the cobwebs within the first 10 minutes of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

He's long been one of my favourite hurlers and was delighted to see him go well yesterday again, the mighty Brick Walsh. Must be the only hurler I've ever seen that can play an outstanding match without actually hitting the ball very much. His ball winning ability both on the ground and in the air and his vision with his short passes must be amongst the best the game has ever seen.

Just really really wish he was a Galway man. Can think of about 6 different positions we could do with him in! That Shane Bennett is a serious operator too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Very disappointed with League sunday last night, and the obvious targeting of Waterford's Brick walsh , in the "throwing" debate, by that snide,bitter just got bet Kilkenny ex Player, and i know he said he counted about 15 incidents over both games , yeah but the only clip to hand was Brick walsh's pass to P curran ? , a little bit of Balance here over the national airwaves, because there was no mention of any other player county , that "GOT AWAY" with such a travesty, jesus it was up there with striking with the hurl in poor beaten Eddies Mind, Don't mention it at all, unless it was a constant infringement with the same player on the same team, and it was resulting on said team, benefitting over a number of games, first time it was mentioned, first time it was highlighted, on National tv, on a day that Kilkenny were beaten, and it was put full and centre in all ref's mind that as it was done by a Waterford player, have to watch that from now on said every ref in the country , a bit of fair play please , would be appreciated.
    To the game in question, don't think we're there yet in terms of where we're trying to go, thought Limerick ran out of steam, as they are unfit, R McCarthy clearly tapped Shane Bennetts heel for the Penalty, can't see why everyone is saying it was soft, ref called it right, thought when Darragh fives ring rust was shaken off at half time, we really took over, big game for kevin Moran, worked hard , gets some stick sometimes, but can never fault his endevours, thought Colin Dunford, was doing ok, was a little unlucky to be taken off, thought there was one or two more big plays in him, thought the game passed jake by, and i would have taken him before dunford, Brick was immence, De burca is an absolute gem, Coughlan again did alot of good work, played it simple and strong, soky was not threatened from general play, Shane Bennett is the real deal, i wonder does he have any appreciation for actuall how good he is, doing things at his own pace, yet five times faster in thought and action, with a higher degree of skill than most, real throwback, but works hard, P curran, should not be anywhere but hovering around the edge of the square, finishers finish, see his goal, shane o donnell like, a finisher with confidence and talent, Maurice will bring us more, don't agree with the waterford Play different stuff with him there, just gives us another option, does that mean we will play different again when P Mah is back, Devine is almost making sure he never starts, with his impact when he comes on, shows a wonderfull attitude, happy out, am not fooled by Kilkenny , if Waterford was missing Noel connors both fives, a fully fit P Mahony and were facing a Clare side on the up, we'd struggle yesterday, Clare are good, but Kilkenny having an off day[Panel has been shown now to be a bit bare], ref not pulling them for the same fouls their backs were being pulled for v Tipp, and Kilkenny missing at least three if not 4, of their biggest Performers, with a still not fully fit hogan and Tyrell[is he done???], in the side, Holden was done in though bowed the head , Keeper killed him, but was targeted , smellled weakness and Conlon killed him, Clare are coming big time, but i think a fully fit and organised kilkenny would have been a bigger test, but OVERWHELMING favourites for a league title, Over to you eddie , i'm sure you have a Balanced opinion, yeah and "the Greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist ", no Tactics in kilkenny, what ?, you'd never be up to them.

Although it is only April I think we can close the voting on the most ironic and unintentionally funny post of the year, wp sir!

Confirmed thurles Sunday 1st May 3.30pm

Wish we were getting a show like the football finals are getting next Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Confirmed thurles Sunday 1st May 3.30pm

Wish we were getting a show like the football finals are getting next Sunday

Nah just the usual Saw Doctors song from 20 years ago being played on the tannoy I'd say

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Nah just the usual Saw Doctors song from 20 years ago being played on the tannoy I'd say

Might get the local Richie kavanagh tribute act to do a few numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Dermot Dooley on WLR earlier saying the league final was fixed for Limerick, thankfully he was mistaken and its confirmed as Thurles. As is the championship game.

Delighted with second half yesterday, Waterford went up a level after half time and Limerick couldnt live with us. Great to get the goals too, you'd nearly forget how young and experienced the likes of Bennett and Curran are with the performances theyre putting in, top class forwards who will only get better. Delighted for Brick, he has given such service and just keeps on giving, sets the standards for whats expected of the new players. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I noticed TDB played particularly forward yesterday, played really well, he's a quality hurler perhaps somewhat wasted just playing a sweeper role even though he is fantastic at it. Anyone think we see any changes for two weeks time assuming everyone is fit? Maurice will surly be back in but i wonder will he change anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Dermot Dooley on WLR earlier saying the league final was fixed for Limerick, thankfully he was mistaken and its confirmed as Thurles. As is the championship game.

Delighted with second half yesterday, Waterford went up a level after half time and Limerick couldnt live with us. Great to get the goals too, you'd nearly forget how young and experienced the likes of Bennett and Curran are with the performances theyre putting in, top class forwards who will only get better. Delighted for Brick, he has given such service and just keeps on giving, sets the standards for whats expected of the new players. Class act.

Who's Dermot Dooley when he's at home?
    And what did he mean by that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

"waterford are the best team in the country" no "clare are streets ahead"
    "you hang up" no "you hang up" :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Haven't posted for a while but have been watching with interest the comments over the last few months. In think the final has the prospect of being a fascinating game and like last year I believe both sides will want to win to keep the momentum going. I thought the Clare performance on Sunday was top class, but noticed two things. One they needed a couple of soft goals to put KK to the sword, and secondly their own full back line looked very uncomfortable at times. ( I suppose show me a line that doesn't) Outcome this is a very good Clare side but far from unbeatable, and they will face a very good and well drilled Waterford side, result a very tight and tense affair, to be followed by another very tight and tense affair a few weeks later.

Outlook for championship - KK are far from gone away but the miles continue to pile on the clock for them. A lot of guys to come back in, but other counties have made considerable strides and the gap has closed. I predict a very tight affair in Munster and a very open Championship overall.

From a Waterford viewpoint delighted with the progress we are making, showed last Sunday when we push up we can get scores, some super young hurlers added into the mix especially Curran and Bennett. Devine a revelation coming into the game, but to be fair tot he lads has never been given a proper chance to impress from the start, always isolated. Great to see Paudie back, but will need alot of game to get up to the pace - hopefully we will see the best of him come the real business end of the year and lets not forget Stephen Bennett, another prodigious talent who has been plagued with injury. Think if he can get back to full fitness and is played in the inside forward line , could be massive for us.

Things I feel need addressing:

Maurice, while being a big player for us has to become more of a team player - feel that way too often he looks for the score rather than the better placed forward. Shane Bennett can be a bit guilty this also but give him the benefit of doubt because of his young age, Maurice should know better. we need to improve our team work in this area.

Barron, another massive player, but is going to have to learn to vary his game plan and look for the pass earlier. too often he is running into traffic and is becoming predictable. Vary the game look for quick offloads t runners going past and even look to take a return pass. Has the energy and the ability, but just needs to become less predictable.

Aussie, most unbelievable talent but fear his frustration is growing with each passing game. We are persisting with starting him in corner forward and then bringing him out the field. While he has all the talent in the world I feel that he is a player who needs to be involved in the game all the time. The best inside forwards in the game are those who are patient and believe that the chances will come to them and when they do they will take them. A back can dominate a game for 65 minutes and be absolutely destroyed in the other 5. They wait for their moment. Aussie, maybe because of his age, gets impatient and frustrated and this becomes very visible in his play. We need to focus on getting him involved from early on in the game and allowing him to express himself. Hi ability to pick passes from distance, much like a quarter back in American football is unreal. Against Tipp this year he played three passes from my memory that were within inches of unlocking their defence for real goal opportunities - he sees space and has the ability to deliver the ball accurately and at pace into these areas which is vital to creating goal opportunities. We seem to think by putting big men inside they will create the goal opportunities whereas I believe it is more often the delivery and work from out the field that creates them

Looking forward to an exciting 5 weeks ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Just checked GAA WEBSITE tickets on sale 25 euro for Thurles .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

decies wrote: »
    Just checked GAA WEBSITE tickets on sale 25 euro for Thurles .

Time to dust down the auld student id

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Is it unreserved seating again for the league final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deise189 wrote: »
    Is it unreserved seating again for the league final?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Who's Dermot Dooley when he's at home?
    And what did he mean by that exactly?

Dermot Dooley is manager of the DLS school Harty cup team, right hand man of Derek McGrath's when they won the 2 Harty Cups and All Irelands. Both are teachers in the school. He was on with Matt Keane the other evening talking about the hurling, said the league final was fixed for Limerick. Thankfully he was mistaken and its Thurles. I'd still have a fear whenever we play Clare at a neutral venue that the powers that be want the game in Limerick. Unfounded i suppose as both games in the next few weeks are set for Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The minors back out on Saturday v Tipp at Walsh park, any team named yet? Will there be many changes from the side that lost to Cork two weeks ago?
    Plenty of speculation after that game that Billy Nolan should start outfield and on frees given we missed many easy ones the last day and lacked a general scoring threat up front. Hopefully too some lads who were quiet the last day have a bigger game (Tonto Douglas, Jack Prendergast). Conor Dalton seemed to do well when brought on the last day too so he could be in for a start.

As mentioned in the post mortem after that Cork game, it would seem that it was no big deal to lose as long as we learned something from the game and could identify our best team for the next day. With a game under our belts and it being Tipp's first game and home advantage, hopefully that gives us an edge to pull through.

Cake Man wrote: »
    The minors back out on Saturday v Tipp at Walsh park, any team named yet? Will there be many changes from the side that lost to Cork two weeks ago?
    Plenty of speculation after that game that Billy Nolan should start outfield and on frees given we missed many easy ones the last day and lacked a general scoring threat up front. Hopefully too some lads who were quiet the last day have a bigger game (Tonto Douglas, Jack Prendergast). Conor Dalton seemed to do well when brought on the last day too so he could be in for a start.

As mentioned in the post mortem after that Cork game, it would seem that it was no big deal to lose as long as we learned something from the game and could identify our best team for the next day. With a game under our belts and it being Tipp's first game and home advantage, hopefully that gives us an edge to pull through.
    One of the main problems is the selector that is building the team around his son. When that"elephant in the room" is dealt with maybe then we can move forward. He had him doing everything the last night bar taking the puckouts for Billy Nolan in goal. Nolan has to start in the forwards on Sat and HAS to be on the frees! Stop this sh**e that was going on in this county for years of clubs looking after their own. The management need to be strong and stand up to this farce the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

There should be a rule at county level if you have a son on the panel then it disqualifies you from been a member of the management team. Far too much conflict of interest and favouritism when the team is been picked and deciding who plays where. More hassle than it's worth and better off without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There should be a rule at county level if you have a son on the panel then it disqualifies you from been a member of the management team. Far too much conflict of interest and favouritism when the team is been picked and deciding who plays where. More hassle than it's worth and better off without it.
    We must tell that to our friends in North Waterford, and that Mr Cody should definitely retire as his son is on the panel

Deskjockey wrote: »
    We must tell that to our friends in North Waterford, and that Mr Cody should definitely retire as his son is on the panel

I think he means under age hurling to be fair. I would agree with him also. There is 2 mentors with sons involved.

Interesting that Pat Bennett has taken 3 of the 4 sessions since the Cork game. And they have brought in players into panel who weren't interested all along due to exams. Interesting to see if they play Saturday.

Overall if what is being touted that Pat has taken a hands on role I'd have to question why these lads got the job in the first place, we have proven coaches in all the top clubs and yet not one minor A club has a coach involved in any capacity. This was eveident in their team selection. Players all over the shop playing out of position

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

There should be a rule at county level if you have a son on the panel then it disqualifies you from been a member of the management team. Far too much conflict of interest and favouritism when the team is been picked and deciding who plays where. More hassle than it's worth and better off without it.[/QUOTE,,,,,if your'e real man who has balls and honesty selecting your son or not selecting him should not be a problem ,if you feel he is HONESTLY good enough to play pick him,if not leave him out ,,not sure how many managers have had sons on panels ,but the one that sticks out to me is Brian Cody,but that man has honesty and balls

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Look the guy ye are all talking about was on the panel last year and was brought on against tipp and his father had nothing to do with the scene, he was also close to the panel the year before and trained a bit with them - so it's not like he is no where near good enough.

On another note Billy Nolan should be outfield and on the frees though - he is one of the best free takers in the county never mind just at minor - hopefully the selectors have some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 courtylad

danganabu wrote: »
    It doesn't happen at inter county level at all, I certainly don't remember the last game that was abandoned other than because of weather.

And what were the perspective Ulster and AI champions ( 1992 was the year) playing Waterford in, with all due respect?

I'm from Tyrone.

• Advertisement

That is an idiotic rule - if your son/relative is involved you cant be involved?

E.g.
    Derek Lyons 2014 Minor Hurling manager - Darragh Lyons (Now which one do we drop? Father or Son?)
    Oran Curran 2014 Minor Football Manager - Donnanacha Curran (didnt start)
    Mickey Harte - Peter Harte (Tyrone) (Nephew)

GAA was and has always been built around a father being in charge.

If Thats the case we better strip Offaly of their 1982 all ireland where they stopped Kerry winning the five in a row. Because Ritchie, Matt, Liam, Tomas, Murt O' Connor all started on that team and McGee was married to their sister.
    And im sure every club in the country will get titles from u10 - Senior stripped once or twice over. Derek played Darragh and we got and All ireland Semi-Final.

Just because Douglas can take frees for DLS doesnt mean he is to take them in the match. So players cant hack the pressure being watched by 2000 - 80000. I could put the big ball over from anywhere around or inside the 45 in training or friendly matches but when it came to crowds for tyrone i couldnt, the likes of Kavanagh stepped up. Morale of the story, it takes serious bottle to take frees with that many eyes on you. Murray seems to not be able to either and id move him out of centre back for the next day. Cathal Curran is a savage free taker. He seems to step up under the cosh.

I think he means under age hurling to be fair. I would agree with him also. There is 2 mentors with sons involved.

Interesting that Pat Bennett has taken 3 of the 4 sessions since the Cork game. And they have brought in players into panel who weren't interested all along due to exams. Interesting to see if they play Saturday.

Overall if what is being touted that Pat has taken a hands on role I'd have to question why these lads got the job in the first place, we have proven coaches in all the top clubs and yet not one minor A club has a coach involved in any capacity. This was eveident in their team selection. Players all over the shop playing out of position

Minor A and County Minor Manager is like comparing a Junior B manager to a County Senior Manager. No manager at Minor A is scouting opposition unless its a semi final. When your on the sidelines as a manager your concerned with your players and your philosophy not taking a list of players names in case they call you up to be a selector for County Minor.

Coaching at this level in Waterford is just drills, that lack motivators, if you have a quality coach I can guarantee you he's not managing Minor. Fathers of players manage Minor in most cases and the 15 is nearly the same from u14 +.

If a management staff had a bit of sense they'd adopt a proper philosophy.
    This is what we did 5 years ago when I was a county minor selector/trainer then manager in Lenister for Football. Just after pasting it over from word, and changed football to hurling.

2011/2012 My Notes:
    Out of bracket for me, Inside brackets for subordinates.
    1) (We will be successful, we will be here next year, we have the boys focus on the first round of championship, our focus is on building the development structure within this county. Remember scouting is mandatory in our agreement with the county board).
    2) Assemble three selectors, 1 trainer and four scouts.
    3) Get a list of all players from each club eligible for county minor next year.
    4) Do Rota and schedule for club minor matches. (Make sure every club is seen twice at Division 3 & 4, three times at Division 1 & 2).
    5) Talk with county board to ensure each person sees each team two - three times. (Spacing out matches by two hours).
    6) Remind before attending each match to get the team sheets off the ref copied down before each game starts. (Do not allow the Referee to start until you have collected the team-sheets with players numbers).
    7) Assess each player individually using performance grading sheet. (The PGS is available in the group chat, remember to assess each player regardless if they come off the bench. Note size roughly and vaguely, e.g Tall, Stocky etc in the Phenotype section. Note in the ability section, Not Worthwhile Pursuing (NWP) - Fair (F) - Good (G) - Standout (SO) - Must Have (MH).Further information in the 20 page coaching and guidelines handout given at our backroom staff meeting).
    8) Continue using this system until the end of Championship. (From the league until the end of the knockout championship finals we will use this system).
    9) Following championship, one week later, arrange a trial match with all players G+ on the ability scale. Excluding the remaining county minors from last year. (We will assess further roughly 60 players cutting 60 to about 20, we will call them in three different groups, friday night (North), saturday morning (South), sunday morning (Middle)).
    10) Exclude current county minors from playing in the u17 championship. (We are allowing them to rest and focus on their studies).
    11) Cut the panel to fourty after three weeks.
    12) There will be a minimum of 8 brought onto the team eligible to play next year. (There will be 12 from our panel this year on it next year including 38 new faces).
    12) After the u17 championship begin Pre-season. Cut your panel to 40. This 40 will play in the Leinster league.
    13) Begin season training. Heavy Fitness workload. 800 x 5 pre training. 600 x 4 after training. (We will be working on a high intensity game this season where without the ball we drop into our 45, when they enter our 45 only then will we tackle, using zonal marking. Once obtaining the ball we will play a possession based game, see further information on 2011/2012 plans in the handout or alternatively check Ulster GAA Level 1-3 coaching on youtube).
    13) After the Leinster League cut your panel to 32-34. (The players dropped will be assessed further during their minor league campaigns).
    14) Reduce training workload to Light, avoid injuries, working on tactical positioning, lateral movements, team cohesion, hand-passing, kicking and catching skills.
    15) Name Team, play Leinster, win Leinster, win All Ireland. (This will be our year and next year we will do the double).

That above require 8 all ireland medals to work through every little detail that resulted in teams winning Leinster and running close the the AL series.
    I re-state, having a Minor A manager a selector is a ridiculous idea, having a proper scouting and networking system in place, now that's smart. Lack of preparation is what loses matches, you need to be tactically ahead.

Now I have played Senior Club hurling and I was good enough being from Tyrone and have a strong interest in the game and I am 100% confident that the lads coaching the co minor hurlers and pat bennett are more aware about hurling drills than I am, however I am 100% sure id get a team farther than they would for the simple reason they are approaching this team wrong. It is management, a manager's job is to man-manage his subordinates, bringing in the right coaches, like Pat Bennett, squad harmony, team cohesion. I know how to set up an team and the current minor manager and selectors probably know how to coach a team but they definitely don't know how to manage a team. Every single player was played out of position in my opinion, this team should get in somebody with a business management and statistics degree because a team is like a business and the coaches dont have an idea of maangement between them. Its a bad day when you go to the stand for technical advice. You dont put your chocolate beside your frozen foods and you dont put the deli in the alcohol section. Brian Cody realized that, Jim McGuiness realized it. Sport is done on a 100% scale. 45% Management, 45% Psychological, 10% coaching. That team I saw lacked 90% of a successful team, they lacked organisation and they lacked the bite of putting your head where other lads wouldnt dare put their boots. Wake up and smell the gravy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

The rule would be for underage county teams and if the son is going to trials with that county team then it rules out the father been part of the management. All panel members can then be dealt with equally. Is that not a fairer solution to everyone else on the panel?

Deskjockey wrote: »

In fairness he has set the league on fire with his performances for Kilkenny alright!! Difference being Cody won't be afraid to make the hard calls,lets see will our fellas do the same.

The rule would be for underage county teams and if the son is going to trials with that county team then it rules out the father been part of the management. All panel members can then be dealt with equally. Is that not a fairer solution to everyone else on the panel?

Don't believe in that now. Eoghan Murray was starting either way, show me an example of nepotism in that team, noting Murray takes Cappoquin frees.

Maybe common sense is not readily available in Tyrone as much as spoofing is..

courtylad wrote: »
    Don't believe in that now. Eoghan Murray was starting either way, show me an example of nepotism in that team, noting Murray takes Cappoquin frees.

He wont be taking any frees in cappoquinn for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Courtylad posts are a bit like Brickeyvalleys...

cul beag wrote: »
    In fairness he has set the league on fire with his performances for Kilkenny alright!! Difference being Cody won't be afraid to make the hard calls,lets see will our fellas do the same.

When you start centre back for kilkenny u21 I think that merits a league chance. I think a few of ye are watching Rory stories a wee bit too much when it comes to nepotism.

Courtylad posts are a bit like Brickeyvalleys...

Who? Drift wee bit in and out of the boards, often an absence due to work. I live between Stradbally and Balinacourty in the posh part.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement