Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

well i knew that would be the response from somebody ,he was having a bad day ,take him off end of,ive seen plenty of KK stars subbed after 20 mins ,if your not playing well out you go ,the very fact that you said "He's been excellent last year and this"says it all ,,he was great last year so dont take him off even though he is playing bad,sure he was great last year,imagine he was great last year ,sure that will do ,

Well then maybe if it popped in to your own head you might have considered and realised how stupid your comment sounds. He as actually mopping up balls the whole way through the first half 3, of his mistakes would have been scores without him; added to that he turned around his game 5 minutes later. If eh was taken off we would of been much worse for it and his confidence likely affected. What happened instead was he limited the Clare fullf orward line to pretty much nothing and as the previous week had Davy Fitz trying anything to bring get around him. I don;t know what this personal crusade against De BUrca is about but its definitely no to do with how the team is performing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

This TDB bashing is absolute nonsense. Anyone who knows anything about the game will tell you he contributed more good than bad on Sunday. Why not take off Philip Mahony after he was blatantly caught for pace against Tony Kelly time and time again? Why not take off Shane Fives after he too gave away possession a couple of times? TDB's errors were more obvious that's all, so he's the easiest fellah to slate for those who have to find something to give out about but don't really know what's going on in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Well then maybe if it popped in to your own head you might have considered and realised how stupid your comment sounds. He as actually mopping up balls the whole way through the first half 3, of his mistakes would have been scores without him; added to that he turned around his game 5 minutes later. If eh was taken off we would of been much worse for it and his confidence likely affected. What happened instead was he limited the Clare fullf orward line to pretty much nothing and as the previous week had Davy Fitz trying anything to bring get around him. I don;t know what this personal crusade against De BUrca is about but its definitely no to do with how the team is performing.
    nothing personnel at all ,ah thats so cute," If eh was taken off we would of been much worse for it and his confidence likely affected.never heard so much bull,so you cant sub a lad now or his confidence would be affected ,so no mental strenght at all ,doubt that,i made a point and all im doing is replying ,i pointed out what should have been done ,simple as that,sometimes its a little bit like cruel to be kind,if their is no consequence to playing badly ,lads will never learn ,

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Looking to this weekends fixtures what are people expecting? Has anyone got a full list of senior fixtures for the weekend we could try and predict results.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryan1990

Senior;

Group 1;
    Portlaw vs Dungarvan
    Ballygunner vs De La Salle
    Passage vs Ballyduff Upper

Group 2;

Abbeyside vs Roanmore
    Mt. Sion vs Fourmilewater
    Tallow vs Cappoquin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

ryan1990 wrote: »
    Senior;

Group 1;
    Portlaw vs Dungarvan

Group 2;

Abbeyside vs Roanmore
    Tallow vs Cappoquin

Dungarvan,
    Ballygunnar,
    Passage,
    Abbeys ide,
    Mt Sion,
    Tallow...

Not too many shocks after so many last year

Think Ballyduff, Roanmore & Fourmilewater all have a chance.

The other 3 games easier to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm just hoping for all our inter county players to come through uninjured! How many more rounds of games before June 5th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm just hoping for all our inter county players to come through uninjured! How many more rounds of games before June 5th?

Only this weekends round. Waterford players have there fota island training camp next weekend and then the footballers are out on the 29th May

We have had bad luck with major inter county injurys the last 2 county's championship hopefully none dis year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

What are the chances of Another Padraic Mahoney incident like last year occurring this weekend IE one of the county stars sustains a bad injury

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What are the chances of Another Padraic Mahoney incident like last year occurring this weekend IE one of the county stars sustains a bad injury

Losing someone like curran, Maurice, Shane Bennett, dunford etc will be catastrophic

Hopefully nobody inter county or otherwise gets injured

Anyone any info in the Waterford intermediate team for dis year ???

Senior;

Group 1;
    Portlaw vs Dungarvan

Group 2;

Abbeyside vs Roanmore
    Tallow vs Cappoquin

Id imagine Dungarvan match will be canceled following the death of one of their players Trevor Crotty on Tuesday. (Rip)

It's as likely as any club player getting injured probably.

Senior;

Group 1;
    Portlaw vs Dungarvan

Group 2;

Abbeyside vs Roanmore
    Tallow vs Cappoquin

As mentioned the Dungarvan game will probably be postponed due to the tragic death of Trevor Crotty.

Ballygunner vs DLS should tell us a good deal about DLS approach this year. Ballygunner are the team to beat again I feel. Wayne Hutchinson return should offset the rumoured loss of David O'Sullivan, although I imagine he could feature later in the year.

Passage Ballyduff could be a good game. Passage were caught on the hop slightly last year possibly and will relish the chance to atone for that immediately. Both teams struggling with injuries apparently so could see changes from both sides from last year. I wouldn't rule out the draw here.

Abbeyside are apparently going well under the coaching of Brendan Landers and seem to have placed a greater emphasis on hurling this year. Roanmore have improved each year recently so this could be an even enough match up. I'll give a tentative vote to Abbeyside.

The noise out of the Fourmilewater camp hasn't been great. They seem to be struggling for numbers if reports of challenge games are to be believed. Mt Sion lost Bill Walsh I think and Martin O'Neill has left the country. These will be big losses but they should have enough I think to get over the line here.

Tallow I feel should emerge comfortably from this group. Their younger players having last year behind them could be of great benefit and all the older players seem to have committed again. Fancy Tallow to take care of Cappoquin with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

How about the intermediate? Presume Lismore are favorites?

Still hard to believe there is separate East and West championships

JesusRef wrote: »
    How about the intermediate? Presume Lismore are favorites?

Still hard to believe there is separate East and West championships

I find it confusing there's senior clubs who have teams in the intermediate/junior championships

Why don't they have these clubs in a separate intermediate/junior comp

Intermediate A and Junior A- clubs from east and west who don't have a senior team

Intermediate B and Junior B- clubs who are also rep in the senior championship. Senior players are eligible to play. A club rep in intermediate A level will also play in this section of they have a junior team.

How many Munster club championships are there in each grade ??

Eastern Intermediate Group A;

Clonea vs Dunhill
    Erins Own vs Ballygunner (B)

Eastern Intermediate Group B;

St Saviours vs Butlerstown
    De La Salle (B) vs St Mollerans

Western Intermediate Group 1;

Lismore vs Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    Modeligo vs Ballysaggart

Western Intermediate Group 2;

Shamrocks vs Ballinameela
    Brickey Rangers vs An Rinn

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Looking to this weekends fixtures what are people expecting? Has anyone got a full list of senior fixtures for the weekend we could try and predict results.
    JesusRef wrote: »
    Dungarvan,
    Ballygunnar,
    Passage,
    Abbeys ide,
    Mt Sion,
    Tallow...

Not too many shocks after so many last year
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    I find it confusing there's senior clubs who have teams in the intermediate/junior championships

Why don't they have these clubs in a separate intermediate/junior comp

Intermediate A and Junior A- clubs from east and west who don't have a senior team

Intermediate B and Junior B- clubs who are also rep in the senior championship. Senior players are eligible to play. A club rep in intermediate A level will also play in this section of they have a junior team.

How many Munster club championships are there in each grade ??

Had De La Salle lost to Lismore last year they'd now have two teams in the Intermediate!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Maybe we should just cancel the club championship altogether. Inter county lads wouldn't have to worry about getting injured during the inconvenience of playing for the clubs that nurtured and coached them all their lives.
    I'm sure everyone who went to Thurles over the last two weeks will come out in droves again this weekend to see their heroes playing 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Maybe, with the thought of getting away from all the handwringing and fallout from last Sunday and with a view to improving our lot for the Championship....

Firstly, I have to say that I am really proud of this bunch of young lads, they owe us nothing, but did our lack of pace in key areas get us punished last Sunday?

To my thinking it did.

Now, before the naysayers get going, this isn't a witch hunt against anyone, just wondering how we could improve things before June 5th?

That's all.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should just cancel the club championship altogether. Inter county lads wouldn't have to worry about getting injured during the inconvenience of playing for the clubs that nurtured and coached them all their lives.
    I'm sure everyone who went to Thurles over the last two weeks will come out in droves again this weekend to see their heroes playing 🀔

Talk about flying off the handle, you reply as if I suggested club games should be postponed/cancelled. Where did I say anything to do with that?

If anything, I'm very much in favour of these games being played and was actually hoping there would be another round the following week as it will keep our county lads match fit and sharp (senior, U21 and minor) and the non-county lads interested for the summer. Just making the point that it would be great if all come through with a clean bill of health given our history of lads getting injured just before championship the last few years.

It's as likely as any club player getting injured probably.

Agreed but the club player is unlikely to affect the ending of a 57 year drought!

Agreed but the club player is unlikely to affect the ending of a 57 year drought!

I can't think of any example other than Mahony of a player being ruled out for the championship as a result of an injury in a club game.
    These games are what helped to shape the county set up, we can't just stop them all without there being reprecussions down the line. If anything it benefits the squad players hugely who get much needed game and possibly confidence that they could return to the county set up with.

I can't think of any example other than Mahony of a player being ruled out for the championship as a result of an injury in a club game.
    These games are what helped to shape the county set up, we can't just stop them all without there being reprecussions down the line. If anything it benefits the squad players hugely who get much needed game and possibly confidence that they could return to the county set up with.

I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of them. It's all about 'risk' or that the county player is being exposed to......probability is low but severity to the cause is high if he gets injured such as Mahoney last tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of them. It's all about 'risk' or that the county player is being exposed to......probability is low but severity to the cause is high if he gets injured such as Mahoney last tear

Same for every County. Will be no hurling without clubs, end of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Losing someone like curran, Maurice, Shane Bennett, dunford etc will be catastrophic

Hopefully nobody inter county or otherwise gets injured

Anyone any info in the Waterford intermediate team for dis year ???

tbf the forwards get all the attention, baks you dont notice until theyre missing, imagine mising tdb or barry coughlan disaster in the making

tbf the forwards get all the attention, baks you dont notice until theyre missing, imagine mising tdb or barry coughlan disaster in the making

True it will be a relief come Sunday afternoon if there's no reports of injurys from any game

Lismore vs clashmore Tdb will be marking Maurice

Ballygunner vs Dls- Philip Mahony marking Kevin Moran

There prob a few more inter county panel battles too

Tom Devine v one of the Bennetts in Modeligo v Ballysaggart too.

That western group 1 with Lismore, Ballysaggart, Modeligo and Clashmore/Kinsalebeg looks tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Some quality games in intermediate. On the county panel playing intermediate or junior are: Shane Fives, Darragh Fives, Tadgh de Burca, Shane Bennett, Stephan Bennett, Brick Walsh, Maurice Shanahan, Colin Dunford, Tom Devine, Brian O Halloran, Colm Roche and Shane Roche. That's about 35-40% of the panel. Intermediate is the strongest its ever been in Waterford. As an intercounty panel do we have the most players playing outside of senior club hurling?

• Advertisement

Tom Devine v one of the Bennetts in Modeligo v Ballysaggart too.

That western group 1 with Lismore, Ballysaggart, Modeligo and Clashmore/Kinsalebeg looks tasty.

friday results

Lismare 1-20- Clashmore 0-19

Senior- Abbeyside 1-16- Roanmore 0-13

Any reports on who played well?

Speaking of intermediate, who is likely to feature on the intermediate team v Clare in a few weeks? Are u21 management over the intermediates too?

Kilkenny out of the minor championship, Dublin vs Wexford Leinster final

Our lads have a good chance if they can get over Limerick (who have hoodoo over us in the minor grade the last few years) in the semi in Walsh park in June. Losing Munster finalist plays the Ulster champions in the all Ireland qf.

Although have heard the 2016 minor team are not world beaters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What happened to cause mullane to get a red tonight?

KevIRL wrote: »

Think it was a pull on Stephen O'Keeffe the defender. Socky saved a penalty in the last minute to deny DLS the win.

Any reports?

Saw Mahony got 0-10 and was quite sharp by all accounts which is good news. Why didn't Shane Ryan for DLS just tap the penalty over the bar!? They were level 0-15 with time just up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Watched Ballysaggart v Modeligo tonight. Shane Bennett was in tremendous form as was Tom Devine for Modeligo. He really is a strong man when he runs at defenders. Very disappointed with Stephen Bennett, his contribution was minimum and frustration started to creep in to his game as things weren't working out for him. Shane on the other hand was a joy to watch scoring from frees,from play and a sideline. It's an interesting western championship as 5-6 teams will fancy their chances. Ardmore for me could be the victors come the end of it but it will be close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads who was at the Ballygunner DLS game? I know Mahony scored 0-10 but was he running freely with no problems? He's been hobbling anytime I've seen him throughout the league which is normal after a leg break but it means you're still not ready. And Stephen Bennett is fully fit again too? I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Diarmuid Kirwan was referee

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Mahony's free taking was excellent as was his striking in general. While he didn't look to be impeded in his running he wasn't really involved as much as you'd have hoped from a county perspective. Stephen O Keeffe was the best county player on display with two excellent saves, batting away to safety a ball that was definitely going over the bar and excellent distribution throughout, particularly when any Ballygunner player was in trouble. Barry Coughlan didn't play by the way. Jake Dillon probably best for DLS in a deeper role than expected with Jack Fagan showing some promising ball winning.

Disappointing to hear that Stephen Bennett was held, there has been a lot of talk in recent weeks that he has been flying in training and challenge games lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Really harsh sending off. I had a great view of the incident and there was some handbags between the defender and Mullane. Then there was a sort of pretend kick by Mullane, no contact whatsoever and the linesman called the referees attention. Definetly not a sending off. As to the game itself DLS were the better team and had Mullane who scored a brilliant point just before half time stayed on they would have won. I was a little disappointed with Dillon in the replay against Clare but he was the best player on the field last night. He was playing a withdrawn role around the middle of the field and I think he could be our best option for that job with the County team. I thought Paudie Mahoney was very good both from play and frees and has to be in contention for a starting position against Clare. Other players to impress on the night were Stephen Dalton, Jack Fagan and Stephen O Keeffe the defender for Ballygunner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

cul beag wrote: »
    Watched Ballysaggart v Modeligo tonight. Shane Bennett was in tremendous form as was Tom Devine for Modeligo. He really is a strong man when he runs at defenders. Very disappointed with Stephen Bennett, his contribution was minimum and frustration started to creep in to his game as things weren't working out for him. Shane on the other hand was a joy to watch scoring from frees,from play and a sideline. It's an interesting western championship as 5-6 teams will fancy their chances. Ardmore for me could be the victors come the end of it but it will be close!
    I wouldn't be too harsh on stephen Bennett the operation he had earlier in the year is a very debilitating one. Eoin Larkin had the same op a few years ago and said in a recent interview it took him a full year to feel right again

carter10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too harsh on stephen Bennett the operation he had earlier in the year is a very debilitating one. Eoin Larkin had the same op a few years ago and said in a recent interview it took him a full year to feel right again

Not being harsh on him I just call it as I see it. He has being training and hurling well during Waterford sessions so that's why I was disappointed with his display. A fully operational Stephen is a huge bonus to both club and county. As for Shane,well he has the hurling world at his feet. His potential is frightening. Glad he's in the blue and white for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

It seems Cappoquin have beaten Tallow.........thats a bit of a surprise I guess.

cornerboy wrote: »
    It seems Cappoquin have beaten Tallow.........thats a bit of a surprise I guess.

Great value for their win. They were by far the hungrier team tonight and Tallow were a real disappointment scoring only 1.06. Lost there discipline aswell with 2 sending offs but for the victors Shane O Rourke and Keith Landers were excellent. It certainly opens up that group for the rest of the championship.

Stephen Bennett isn't doing too badly for a fellah who was told he may never hurl again before his op 6 months ago

Fourmilewater beating mount sion 2-12-0-17 is a bit of shock

Passage beat Ballyduff Upper 4-24-1-10

'Fourmilewater beating mount sion 2-12-0-18 is a bit of shock'

Any team that can win by that scoreline is a surprise indeed....

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    'Fourmilewater beating mount sion 2-12-0-18 is a bit of shock'

Any team that can win by that scoreline is a surprise indeed....

Edited lol

No injuries reported in any games thank god

It will take a while for Stephen Bennett to get back to his best maybe won't see him til 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Did Tommy Ryan get injured in the first half

Is there another round of championship games to be played before the Clare game? I know their away on a training camp at Fota shortly.

Just want to say how impressed Ive been with Derek McGrath and how he conducted himself in the interviews about Diarmud Kirwan after the league final. If the shoe was on the other foot you d never have heard the end of it out of Davy. I guess given the tough week that some of the players had in leading up to the game he was seeing the bigger picture. Also heard that he had a family holiday to America booked to go on the day after the drawn game which he didn t go because of the replay. He s certainly not a man to make excuses or wallow in self-pity. Don t agree with everything he does or says and Ive been judgemental of him in the past, but he s definetly a guy I would fight for if he was on my side. I can see why so many younglads would run through walls for him. I hope we can turn it around get the right result against Clare. If ever a bunch of guys deserved a break after a tough couple of weeks its these lads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement