Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Any more reports from the club games?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

JesusRef wrote: »
    Any more reports from the club games?
    I got to four of the five matches this weekend and would have to say that DLS and Ballygunner look the teams to beat at this early stage. No surprise there. Mount Sion looked well off the pace against FMW and were it not for some poor wides FMW would have been comfortable winners. Conor Gleeson was excellent for FMW and Baron dominated the middle of the field, Thomas O Gorman was good at FB and Stephen Roche was Mount Sions best performer.
    Passage were good against a poor Ballyduff side without the two Moloumphys with Eoin Kelly, John Whitty and Noel Connors in top form. The performance of the weekend came from Cappoquin who won at their ease against Tallow. Andy Moulumby was outstanding for the winners and they will be a match for anyone in their group. Tommy Ryan scored a brilliant goal early on for Tallow but had to go off injured just before half time with what seemed to be a broken finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Surely Passage was performance of the week. Molumphys or no, Ballyduff aren't mugs and that was some hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Surely Passage was performance of the week. Molumphys or no, Ballyduff aren't mugs and that was some hammering.

Very impressive performance indeed. Laying down a serious marker for the year. Ballyduff were a much changed side from last year and will need to get a few of those missing fit again if they are to challenge for a quarter final spot.
    Fourmilewater showed very well against Mt. Sion and as mentioned earlier could have won by more only for some poor wides. They played some good stuff last year and ran Ballygunner very close in the semi final, a fact that was forgotten rather quickly for some reason.
    Abbeyside look a team to watch possibly, seem to have a good team spirit about them this season and have a good squad to pick from which should stand to them when the season is in full swing with hurling and football being juggled.
    Outstanding win for Cappoquin. Tallow were made to look very ordinary by a tenacious and disciplined Cappoquin effort. Excellent free taking by Shane O'Rourke and some top performaces from Paul Murray, Andy Molumby and Keith Landers. Tallow completely lost discipline in the second half unfortunately and may rue this in the next round of fixtures as they could potentially be down the 2 sent off and Tommy Ryan who broke his thumb in the first half. He was obviously a huge loss to Tallow's cause but I felt Cappoquin were on top ever before he left the field. He did stick a great goal in fairness. Ryan Grey and Jordan Henley were left to try to carry the scoring burden in his absence and this seemed to much weight for their young shoulders unfortunately for Tallow. Tallow could have had David O'Brien sent off also for what seemed to be an off the ball strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Went to the cappoquin game. One note, the near goals some very dodgy calls on points. At least three waved wide there. Not sure is it the closeness of the netting. Cappoquin were well on top. The sending offs were very harsh from what I saw. One was for mouthing I think. Heard the same about the Mullane incident. The younger refs (like young Walsh) seem to have a far less chip on their shoulders than their older counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MoPeer

Are the Murrays back with Cappaquin?

Two playing for ballyduff one blackrock in Cork I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

thesultan wrote: »
    Two playing for ballyduff one blackrock in Cork I think

The 2 younger lads transferred to Ballyduff. Finan, the eldest isn't hurling anymore. Became disillusioned after the whole Cappoquin fall-out. Who could blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    The 2 younger lads transferred to Ballyduff. Finan, the eldest isn't hurling anymore. Became disillusioned after the whole Cappoquin fall-out. Who could blame him.

Shame for the lad - he was handy although admittedly I haven't seen him play since the 2009 minor campaign when we beat Tipp in the munster final.
    For a talented enough lad to be so disillusioned to not even play anymore at that age is quite sad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Half time in Golden
    South TIpp 3-12
    Waterford city 0-7
    Celtic challenge
    Really poor first half from Waterford

Final score
    TIpp 4-21
    Waterford city 0-10

carter10 wrote: »
    Final score
    TIpp 4-21
    Waterford city 0-10
    Thanks but can we have no more updates from this group please. We know it is a poor group and seem to be getting beat by cricket scores. Its not a relevant competition in my opinion I would question what purpose it serves as the best u17s would be with the co minors anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Yea I think it's a pretty insignificant competition especially when you consider that probably six of seven of the current minor team would be eligible for U17. Unfortunately the County to too small to compete without our top players on the age.

To be honest I think it is some sort of an attempt by the GAA to phase in minor to U17 which I believe is coming in in 2018. I understand the GAA's reasoning for this but I just don't think a minor championship at U17 is going to generate much interest with the public. U17's really are still kids.

Waternut wrote: »
    Yea I think it's a pretty insignificant competition especially when you consider that probably six of seven of the current minor team would be eligible for U17. Unfortunately the County to too small to compete without our top players on the age.

To be honest I think it is some sort of an attempt by the GAA to phase in minor to U17 which I believe is coming in in 2018. I understand the GAA's reasoning for this but I just don't think a minor championship at U17 is going to generate much interest with the public. U17's really are still kids.

is there any other divisional teams competing? East/West? Waterford city is basically 6 or 7 clubs and their being asked to play against divisions of 25/30 clubs, without their best players.

Yea I think they've made a bit of a mess with that u17 grade decision to be honest. Can't really see how it will be a success. Minor grade is to remain at club level but not for intercounty? Don't see the logic. The minor championship is a terrific competition I know there is issues with player burnout and guys of that age doing the leaving cert etc but surely there are other ways around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

How good were portlaw lastnight or how bad were four mile in the U21 b last night?

• Advertisement

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Final score
    TIpp 4-21
    Waterford city 0-10
    Thanks but can we have no more updates from this group please. We know it is a poor group and seem to be getting beat by cricket scores. Its not a relevant competition in my opinion I would question what purpose it serves as the best u17s would be with the co minors anyway
    Apologies robopaddy2 I didn't realise you decide what's allowed on the thread. Next time I'll pm you and ask permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Barry Kelly doing the Tipperary game now so that rules him out for our game in 2 weeks

Will Kirwan get our game ???.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Barry Kelly doing the Tipperary game now so that rules him out for our game in 2 weeks

Will Kirwan get our game ???.

Lad, there is not a hope in hell Kirwan will be refereeing that match after the media attention his decision making got the last day.

Lad, there is not a hope in hell Kirwan will be refereeing that match after the media attention his decision making got the last day.

Brian Gavin or Johnny Ryan (who was terrible in league qf) then

Today's game was a shocker.Tipperary could end up winning it all the same

Was the fota island training camp dis weekend ??? McGrath was at the tipp game anyhow

Whoever is refereeing, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. We know it won't be Kirwan anyway.
    Its been a shocking start to the hurling championship so far. Yesterday was dire stuff and Dublin v Wexford even worse on Saturday. One thing I noted is that 2 teams adopting a defensive system, Cork & Wexford, neither were at the races. I think few teams have mastered the sweeper system like we have to be fair. We have the right players equipped to operate the system and we are in our third year at this system now so the players are comfortable with it. Hopefully our match with Clare will be the one that lights up the championship. We have unfinished business after the 2 league finals, I'm hoping Mahony back and on the frees could see us over the line this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The only thing that got me out of bed this morning was seeing how they were coping with being crap on PROC. Oh boy, they have not let me down. When I think of how bad things got for us back in the day, and they're getting upset over their current plight . . . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I read elsewhere we apparently played Limerick in a challenge game last Thursday night, anyone hear about this? Venue, team, result?
    One report I read said we hammered them but another saying Limerick played well.

Heard paudie Mahoney played well and we beat them handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Big shock in the u21 as Westmeath knock the cats out 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Big shock in the u21 as Westmeath knock the cats out 😮

I doubt even the Kilkenny version of PTH2009 would have predicted that one.

Both KK underage teams gone and it not even June. Strange times..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Some result for Westmeath in the U21.

Any word on Patrick Curran? Heard he was taken off injured in the re-arranged senior club game against Portlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Some result for Westmeath in the U21.

Any word on Patrick Curran? Heard he was taken off injured in the re-arranged senior club game against Portlaw

They went out to do him, portlaw man got straight red for hitting him apparently

Will Curran be alright for Sunday week? Hope it's not too bad.

That's a great result for Westmeath but it probably has to be said even if KK did win, I think the AI U21 winners this year would still most likely be coming from Munster with ourselves, Tipp, Clare and Limerick. Possibly Galway too.

They went out to do him, portlaw man got straight red for hitting him apparently

He will be a big loss hopefully it's not too serious

Cake Man wrote: »
    Will Curran be alright for Sunday week? Hope it's not too bad.

That's a great result for Westmeath but it probably has to be said even if KK did win, I think the AI U21 winners this year would still most likely be coming from Munster with ourselves, Tipp, Clare and Limerick. Possibly Galway too.
    Kilkenny won the AI minor 2 years ago and have won the last 3 Leinster minors in a row. So its not like they have been in decline. They win the All Ireland colleges pretty much every second year, between St Kierans and KK CBS. This is a huge upset make no bones about it. This Westmeath side hadn't shown any promise up through the ranks. They had no right to even believe they could beat KK last night. Don't know whose behind them (does skully ryan have anything to do with the 21s?) but massive credit due to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

CjUkWY_WgAAfbkP.jpg:large
    Don't know whose behind them (does skully ryan have anything to do with the 21s?) but massive credit due to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deise12

The portlaw guy got two yellows not a straight red neither incidents had anything to do with Patrick Curran as Patrick was actually on the sideline when the guy was sent off .Patrick wasn't 100% starting the game and got a fair few nasty slaps during the first half. If anything the guy that was sent off was on the pitch to taunt Jamie Nagle!! Dungarvan were lucky to win by a point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Twitter really is a boon to the GAA. Given the (ahem) tendency of the national media outlets towards anything egg- or English soccer-shaped at the expense of everything else, you'd have been doing well once upon a time to have heard anything about Westmeath's win over Kilkenny until days after the game. As it was, I was able to follow it as it happened on the Westmeath Twitter feed:

Come on Westmeath!

Ah Jaysus ref

Oh my God...

Great stuff altogether, and fair play to Eddie Brennan for his gracious comment on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

James Owens is the ref for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

James Owens is the ref for the game

That's grand. I think they're all terrible and favour every team over us, so he's as bad as any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

There was a classic in Walsh Park last night for the County under 21 A final with Gaultier and The Nire drawing 1-14 a piece, Gaultier got a goal and a point near the end to get the draw but both teams will feel they could have won it. God knows when the replay will be however!
    Sean White kicked 9 points for Gaultier, think all were frees but many were from long distance while Waterford senior hurler Conor Gleeson kicked 1-7 for The Nire.
    It was a fantastic open game of football played at a high intensity with plenty of hard hitting at the same time. Gaultier were much bigger and stronger and dominated the midfield and the physical exchanges in general but The Nire have pace and some excellent players.
    I look forward to the replay already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

There was a classic in Walsh Park last night for the County under 21 A final with Gaultier and The Nire drawing 1-14 a piece, Gaultier got a goal and a point near the end to get the draw but both teams will feel they could have won it. God knows when the replay will be however!
    Sean White kicked 9 points for Gaultier, think all were frees but many were from long distance while Waterford senior hurler Conor Gleeson kicked 1-7 for The Nire.
    It was a fantastic open game of football played at a high intensity with plenty of hard hitting at the same time. Gaultier were much bigger and stronger and dominated the midfield and the physical exchanges in general but The Nire have pace and some excellent players.
    I look forward to the replay already!

The replay will take place after the Leaving Cert.

Senior and Junior footballers in action in dis sunday in Fraher field against Tipp

although we got hammered last year in the thurles there could be a shock on the cards as tipp have lost a lot of good players due to travelling etc and they were not as good in the league this year. The finishing position we had in the league was not great but we put up some good performances losing out to the bigger teams (Wexford and Louth) by a score

Is Philip Mahony injured? picture on Club deise facebook page of training camp and his hand is in a cast.

13327553_1013990785349767_3253105715733641674_n.jpg?oh=efc7d8be55152c71670194b00d23b8b2&oe=57E70DF8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Is Philip Mahony injured? picture on Club deise facebook page of training camp and his hand is in a cast.

13327553_1013990785349767_3253105715733641674_n.jpg?oh=efc7d8be55152c71670194b00d23b8b2&oe=57E70DF8
    That is Tommy Ryan. Broke his thumb against Cappoquin.

Yeah Philip Mahony is behind your man shaking hands with Derek.

I'm trying to identify all the faces, can someone tell me who no.27 is on the far right, the two lads right behind Iggy O'Regan, no.30 between Noelie and Jake and the lad behind Tommy Ryan and BOH on far left? Also the two lads just over the left shoulder of the man with the red jumper.

Yeah Philip Mahony is behind your man shaking hands with Derek.

I'm trying to identify all the faces, can someone tell me who no.27 is on the far right, the two lads right behind Iggy O'Regan, no.30 between Noelie and Jake and the lad behind Tommy Ryan and BOH on far left? Also the two lads just over the left shoulder of the man with the red jumper.
    No. 27 is Molumby from Cappoquin. Kieran Bennett over Iggy's left shoulder and Roche of Shamrocks to the right. Number 30 I'm not sure on. It looks like Ryan Donnelly to me behind BOH and Ryan but I didn't hear that he was back on the panel. Over the left shoulder of the man in the red jumper, one is Mikey Kearney Ballyduff, not sure of the fair-ish haired lad possibly McNulty of DLS?

McNulty is definitely over the right shoulder of the man in red, with Jamie Barron just in front of him and GOB to his left in blue.

While we're at the guessing game, who's the lad behind Derek in the blue jersey, the lad at the very back to Maurice's right and the lad at the back left with the black top?

Was this from their Fota island training camp? Unless he's hidden behind someone there, I can't see Patrick Curran. Not sure if that's because he wasn't involved due to being with Dungarvan during the week or sat it out because of the injury from that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

McNulty is definitely over the right shoulder of the man in red, with Jamie Barron just in front of him and GOB to his left in blue.

While we're at the guessing game, who's the lad behind Derek in the blue jersey, the lad at the very back to Maurice's right and the lad at the back left with the black top?

Was this from their Fota island training camp? Unless he's hidden behind someone there, I can't see Patrick Curran. Not sure if that's because he wasn't involved due to being with Dungarvan during the week or sat it out because of the injury from that game.
    No Brick either, as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brick is at the back beside Aussie Gleeson and number 30 is Tommy Waring I think

• Advertisement

Dunford not Barron. That's Stephen O Keeffe behind McGrath

Best lot luck to the senior and junior footballers today in there championship games

Is the senior match on wlr ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Junior game finished 11 points each. Extra time now. Senior start time now 3.45

0-3- 0-00 to Waterford 6 mins gone

Game live on Tipp FM, very good crowd at it apperently

0-3-0-1 to Waterford

coverage on Wlr and Tipp fm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement