Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

6-5 to Tipperary now

8-6 to Tipperary at HT

11-6 to Tipperary now. Really upped there game in the 2nd half. Paul white just put a 45 wide for us

Goal for Tipperary. 1-11 to 6 now

1-14-1-7 Tipperary

full time score Waterford 1-7- Tipperary 1-15

Tipp play Cork in the Munster semi final and we play our round 1 qualifier on the 18th June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Commiserations to the footballers. They put up a decent showing by all accounts. Tipp had a strong enough bench maybe that was the difference. Theyre as group of guys who get slated a lot from within the county but I have a lot of time for them and the commitment they give. PS: Fair dues to Gavin Crotty for playing after a family tragedy a couple weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Could anyone tell me the logic of playing championship games on a Thursday night when younger players are involved in exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Any injury concerns for next Sunday apart from Tommy Ryan?

Any injury concerns for next Sunday apart from Tommy Ryan?
    Curran could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not good if Curran is out, any idea if it’s 50-50 or are his chances better or worse than that?

Clare seem to have a few out themselves - Aaron Cunningham, David McInerney and John Conlon said to be ruled out but I get the feeling a few of them will make a miraculous recovery for Sunday, particularly Conlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The mind games,bluffs and double bluffs,all part of the lead up to championship games. Is this fella injured and so on but come Sunday at throw in it all becomes irrelevant. If we are to lose this one I feel it will have a big effect psychologically but if we are to win it can give us a tremendous boost for the rest of the year. Go back to the league game against Kilkenny when McGrath was jumping for joy having beaten them for the first time under his reign. He saw this as a crucial mental step in the development of this team. Have no doubt about it Sunday's game is even more important than that as to lose to Clare again definitely doubts would start to creep in but were we to win then we need not fear anyone and would set us up nicely for the remainder of the championship.
    Rumours that Curran is out and than O Mahony and Shanahan are starting so it's the time of the week now to start putting on the poker glasses and see who will fold first! One thing is for certain it will be feisty,both on and off the pitch so roll on Sunday,when the REAL hurling starts.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Not good if Curran is out, any idea if it s 50-50 or are his chances better or worse than that?

Clare seem to have a few out themselves - Aaron Cunningham, David McInerney and John Conlon said to be ruled out but I get the feeling a few of them will make a miraculous recovery for Sunday, particularly Conlon
    Curran didn't train since he was taken off injured for Dungarvan last week. Whether its precaution or more serious Im not sure to be honest but if hes not training tonight it dosent look good as matchday squad has to be in by Wednesday morning now (ridiculous rule imo) Lee Chin missed Wexford game as he got injured on the Tuesday night but had apparently fully recovered by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Hasn't he five stitches in his hand but his main problem is his hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

thesultan wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me the logic of playing championship games on a Thursday night when younger players are involved in exams?

Can't see the logic, some young players involved in senior club doing the leaving with teams with panels like Roanmore, passage, portal, Ballyduff, Tallow and Cappoquin having starters who now have that choice to make... but every club is affected... who could blame the lads for opting out on this one

cul beag wrote: »
    Have no doubt about it Sunday's game is even more important than that as to lose to Clare again definitely doubts would start to creep in but were we to win then we need not fear anyone and would set us up nicely for the remainder of the championship.

Whilst disappointing - I wouldn't see a loss on Sunday as a huge setback for either team - both teams are up there with the best and the Losers will still have a say.

I think Waterford now have a set up that does not get too carried away with victories or defeats - thar was in clear evidence in the aftermath of the league final

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

I think it is very poor from the board, the gaa and GPA highlight the importance of player welfare yet the decision was made to put a round of championship on in the middle of the leaving

cookey123 wrote: »
    I think it is very poor from the board, the gaa and GPA highlight the importance of player welfare yet the decision was made to put a round of championship on in the middle of the leaving

The board don't care about clubs or players all they care about is the Levy

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

To be fair the disrespect of club players comes from the organisation as a whole! If waterford lose sunday will fixtures be canceled, if so there will be no action till August

• Advertisement

If Dublin beat Kilkenny than the cats will be in the opposite side of the draw too the Munster teams in the qualifiers (which could include us or Clare)

A nightmare draw for anyone would be a round 1 match in nowlan park against Kilkenny (remember they beat Tipperary there in 2013 in the qualifiers)

For us to beat Kilkenny it would be celebrated like we won a Munster final lol

Connacht/Leicester City/outsiders in the hurling could it be the year of the underdogs ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

PTH2009 wrote: »

The only thing that would he celebrated more is us winning the all Ireland. That's the truth.

Anyway, I'm felling confident about Sunday. I reckon we'll see a repeat of 2004. Double scores with Dan scoring a hat trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

blue note wrote: »
    The only thing that would he celebrated more is us winning the all Ireland. That's the truth.

Anyway, I'm felling confident about Sunday. I reckon we'll see a repeat of 2004. Double scores with Dan scoring a hat trick.

Quietly confident myself and with a full squad to pick from we have a great chance. The Clare halfback line lacks pace if got at but because of the congested middle third of the pitch it won't be easily done. Remember we were leading by 6 points on two different occasions in the league final replay and while no two games are the same I think we can take a huge amount of positives from that and hopefully have learned from it. Expect fireworks both on and off the pitch,but isn't that what championship hurling is all about. Can't wait for it now as I believe it will be a cracker. Any news on the intermediate team are they using a mixture of the extended panel and u21's?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

JesusRef wrote: »
    Whilst disappointing - I wouldn't see a loss on Sunday as a huge setback for either team - both teams are up there with the best and the Losers will still have a say.

I think Waterford now have a set up that does not get too carried away with victories or defeats - thar was in clear evidence in the aftermath of the league final
    The match is there to be won. Defeat will mean that the club championships will be ruined. It seems the team management and board could not care less about the clubs. Clubs are dying on their feet. Club matches are crammed in almost as an afterthought. Kilkenny can play club matches on a regular basis but Waterford cant. In addition clubs are crippled by the levy.

The set up in Waterford is a farce. It is time for the clubs to flex their muscles and not tolerate this any longer. Clubs should appoint delegates who will take no more nonsense. No point in appointing yes men as delegates. Unfortunately there are too many of them in Waterford.

The clubs have the power to put a stop to this nonsense. Use it. Time to put manners on the board and team management if they are not prepared to listen. Championship games are the oxygen that fuel the clubs. Championship matches must be played on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Kilkenny don't have a senior football team which is a guarantee of a minimum 4 weeks in the year where club games cannot be played.

But the biggest issue is dual clubs. When there are dual clubs it essentially means you have to double the amount of weekend for championship games. Minimum 10 weekends and more than likely you are talking 13 on average, which would effectively be up to a quarter in one code. Youll have separate weekends for semis and finals so that is around an extra 3 weeks I think.

Factor in weeks for County hurling and say you leave two weeks free and run it similar to last year and you have that would be another 9 weekends. Add it all together and you get 29 weeks. Then factor in the long league run which held games up by another 3 weekends + the replay and the football games called off on the 10th of April due to unplayable fields and that is 33 weekends to run off a championship. Which from April 10th would bring you to Novemebr 19th.

Now they will play midweek games to combat this but basic point is that it is difficult to run off two championships with teams that overlap i.e. Dual players and county players.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If Dublin beat Kilkenny than the cats will be in the opposite side of the draw too the Munster teams in the qualifiers (which could include us or Clare)

A nightmare draw for anyone would be a round 1 match in nowlan park against Kilkenny (remember they beat Tipperary there in 2013 in the qualifiers)

Connacht/Leicester City/outsiders in the hurling could it be the year of the underdogs ???
    Yep Westmeath are still at a good price get on it

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    The match is there to be won. Defeat will mean that the club championships will be ruined. It seems the team management and board could not care less about the clubs. Clubs are dying on their feet. Club matches are crammed in almost as an afterthought. Kilkenny can play club matches on a regular basis but Waterford cant. In addition clubs are crippled by the levy.

The set up in Waterford is a farce. It is time for the clubs to flex their muscles and not tolerate this any longer. Clubs should appoint delegates who will take no more nonsense. No point in appointing yes men as delegates. Unfortunately there are too many of them in Waterford.

The clubs have the power to put a stop to this nonsense. Use it. Time to put manners on the board and team management if they are not prepared to listen. Championship games are the oxygen that fuel the clubs. Championship matches must be played on a regular basis.

The club games are run off in a better fashion in Waterford now then back when Justin Mccarthy and Davy Fitz were involved, the league final replay disrupted it this year but usually it's a round of games in April, May and June - the last few years the county team was gone in July... last year was the first year we made August in ages so it was all the club's after that...

The Gaa season is a joke - intercounty should be way shorter... In hurling 1st round provincial should be played end of may, semis 2 weeks later on the same day as each other as a double header, provincial final 2 weeks later, semis 2 weeks later mid July, final last week of July. .. qualifiers and quarter finals run off on the spare weekends in between the games above.... no replays at any stage.

There are feck all counties playing hurling anyway - teams waiting 5/6 weeks to play games is ridiculous

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=256049

Should we not be passed all this crap talk of were a young team, we will suffer a heavy defeat etc. Derek's essential 3 year plan ends this year

Davy stating the obvious too about us being really fired up on Sunday. I hope we shut his mouth this Sunday, he's going to be on sideline again abusing our players and then deny it saying he was only having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I agree PTH, I'm a supporter of McGrath and he has taken this team forward but its a bit cringe or silly at times what he comes out with. True we have a relatively young team. We know Bennett, Curran and Gleeson are young but the nucleus of this team are in that mid twenty range and are hitting or should already be in their prime. O'Keeffe, Coughlan Connors, the Fives, Mahoneys, Shan, Barron, Brick and Moran aren't kids.

Waternut wrote: »
    I agree PTH, I'm a supporter of McGrath and he has taken this team forward but its a bit cringe or silly at times what he comes out with. True we have a relatively young team. We know Bennett, Curran and Gleeson are young but the nucleus of this team are in that mid twenty range and are hitting or should already be in their prime. O'Keeffe, Coughlan Connors, the Fives, Mahoneys, Shan, Barron, Brick and Moran aren't kids.
    Yea its stupid talk alright but its all part and parcel of mind games. Cant take anything these managers say at face value these days. Davy Fitz, Cody theyre all at it. the usual thing is to talk up the opposition but he's talking his own team down. There is huge belief in this Waterford side, they certainly don't look like a team that expects to go out and get hammered, by KK, Clare or anyone. Not like were Westmeath, Offaly or Laois who are a 'developing county'. We are very much a team who is here and now and pretty close in my view of winning an AI. Whether we have what it takes to get over the line is the big question. As you say when you scrutinise it the team isn't all as young as hes making them out. The likes of Clare are a young team not older than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

As regards the starting 15, does anyone see any changes from the league final replay? People are still talking about Pauric Mahony starting but i'd be surprised if he did. Obviously i hope i'm wrong but i would think he's still not match fit and maybe won't be for some time yet. I would think that Maurice will start and hopefully Patrick Curran is passed fit. Personally if i was picking the team id start Tom Devine again as he was very unlucky not to get at least one goal in the replay and shouldn't really have been substituted. This is the 15 id like to see start:

1. Stephan O Keeffe
    2. Shane Fives
    3. Barry Coughlan
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Darragh Fives
    6. Tadgh de Burca
    7. Philip Mahony
    8. Jamie Barron
    9. Kevin Moran
    10. Brick Walsh
    11. Shane Bennett
    12. Austin Gleason
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Maurice Shanahan
    15. Tom Devine

I would think though that if Curran and Maurice both start then Devine will probably lose out to Jake Dillon. In fairness its not an easy call as some would have you believe. Dillon got himself into a great position in the league final replay to take and gaol from a brilliant Curran hand pass. I think under the current system we play, Dillon will be favoured for his workrate in closing down the oppositions defence and his unselfish play when he has the ball.
    As both games against Clare were won, lost and drawn in injury time, how we use our bench will be vital and this may be the main reason why Devine will start on the bench. This game could very well be won by whoever's subs can make the biggest impact and having Tom Devine, Colin Dunford, Brian O Halloran and hopefully Pauric Mahony and Stephan Bennett on the bench could make all the difference.

• Advertisement

As regards the starting 15, does anyone see any changes from the league final replay? People are still talking about Pauric Mahony starting but i'd be surprised if he did. Obviously i hope i'm wrong but i would think he's still not match fit and maybe won't be for some time yet. I would think that Maurice will start and hopefully Patrick Curran is passed fit. Personally if i was picking the team id start Tom Devine again as he was very unlucky not to get at least one goal in the replay and shouldn't really have been substituted. This is the 15 id like to see start:

1. Stephan O Keeffe
    2. Shane Fives
    3. Barry Coughlan
    4. Noel Connors
    5. Darragh Fives
    6. Tadgh de Burca
    7. Philip Mahony
    8. Jamie Barron
    9. Kevin Moran
    10. Brick Walsh
    11. Shane Bennett
    12. Austin Gleason
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Maurice Shanahan
    15. Tom Devine

I would think though that if Curran and Maurice both start then Devine will probably lose out to Jake Dillon. In fairness its not an easy call as some would have you believe. Dillon got himself into a great position in the league final replay to take and gaol from a brilliant Curran hand pass. I think under the current system we play, Dillon will be favoured for his workrate in closing down the oppositions defence and his unselfish play when he has the ball.
    As both games against Clare were won, lost and drawn in injury time, how we use our bench will be vital and this may be the main reason why Devine will start on the bench. This game could very well be won by whoever's subs can make the biggest impact and having Tom Devine, Colin Dunford, Brian O Halloran and hopefully Pauric Mahony and Stephan Bennett on the bench could make all the difference.

That's a fair assessment. By all accounts Mahony is pretty much back, fit and ready to go. He hurled well for Ballygunner a few weeks ago. I suspect he won't start but will be introduced a lot earlier than he was in the league final. Can't see things changing too much, this management team isn't renowned for change. I saw Stephen Bennett for Ballysaggart a couple weeks back, he was full forward but got very little supply of ball so didn't get to do too much. I'd say hes a bit down the pecking order at this stage and will probably be concentrating more on a starting place for the u21s more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I’d say it must be frustrating enough to be Stephen Bennett, it’s not for lack of effort or ability that he’s not getting much game time. I think it’s down to the fact that he’s been hampered by injuries and his peers (Shane, Curran, Devine etc.) are taking their chances when given to them which keeps him out of the team.

I spent about an hour on YouTube the other night watching back our Munster semi final game over Cork last year where Bennett started. Not a whole lot went too right for him, he got into good positions and got his shots away (and one good point) but one or two dropped short to Nash, think he mis-hit another and had a good shot well saved by Nash as well. A few other balls he was unlucky with, had they bounced a little bit here or there, he would’ve been in for a score or goal chance. Probably just nerves in a big game I suppose. Hopefully we see more of him this summer, would be typical of him to come in with 10-15mins to go and bury a goal or two which would do his confidence the world of good.

The team posted by HatchetMan above is pretty much spot on apart from Dillon instead of Devine. If Mahony is back fit then he’ll likely be involved at some stage, you’d imagine he’ll be the first choice off the bench.
    Really can’t wait for it now, I’ll be absolutely sick if we lose. Nothing against Clare, just think we owe them one from the last day. Losing two big games to them would give the suggestion they are much better than us which I wouldn’t think is the case as there’s really nothing between us. Will be interesting to see if we have anything up our sleeves that will be revealed on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Despite Derek McGrath s reputation of being obsessed with detail, one area of game management to which he appears to have devoted very little thought involves the taking of sidelines. The general approach is that, if the ball is within 50 metres of the opposing goal, Austin Gleeson will attempt to put the ball over the bar. For sidelines taken further out the field, the very crude approach is to hit the ball as far as possible in the general direction of the opposing goal.
    Waterford are not alone in this respect. In an interesting article in a recent issue of the Irish Examiner, skill acquisition specialist Edward Coughlan criticised what he considered to be a general tendency among hurling teams to hoof the ball to no-one in particular from sideline cuts. In the game between Cork and Tipperary, ten of twelve sidelines were of this type with just two being quick taps to team-mates.

Coughlan is also critical of attempts to score points from sidelines, as the percentage probability of success is far too low in his view. I don t have specific data on this, but I would reckon that less than one fifth of Austin Gleeson s point-scoring attempts from sidelines hit the target, with the rest mainly going wide while some are under-hit and in most cases cleared by defenders.

In Coughlan s view, the main objective of sidelines should be to retain possession. The two ways of doing this are to hit the ball directly to a team-mare or to play the ball into open space. Properly executed, the latter option should give an 80% chance of retaining possession, whereas the long undirected ball gives only a 50% chance. I would say myself that the odds of retaining possession from long balls is well below 50%, as defenders nearly always have the advantage over attackers in these situations.

The chances of retaining possession from sidelines hit into space are maximised where the move is well-practised in training, with team-mates expecting the ball to be played into certain spaces and thereby having a head-start on their markers. Both the execution and the timing of the sideline stroke are key to success. For me, the best option where a sideline is being taken between halfway and the opponents 45-metre line is to place a player on the far sideline. This player then runs towards the sideline taker as the ball is struck crossfield towards him. If the ball arrives where it is supposed to, the receiving player picks it up while running more or less parallel to the end line which gives him a good angle for taking a shot at goal.

It is clear that there is no thinking of this kind in the Waterford game plan. When a sideline is awarded, the nearest player should grab the ball immediately and look up for the short tap option, with team-mates running into position for this. If this is not on, then a player who has practised the crossfield ball into space should take the stroke with target players moving into position as practised in training.

You see none of this with Waterford. When a sideline is awarded, one of a small number of designated players ambles over, spends some time teeing up the ball, and then hits it as far as possible towards goal. Some counties, especially Clare and Dublin, have a more tactical approach to the use of sidelines. At this level, margins of advantage are very tight, and we need to do everything possible to maximise those margins. Better sideline tactics could be crucial to achieving ultimate success.

Nerves setting in hard to believe it's championship time the year has flew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Anyone that thinks a sideline is 80-20 is deluded. It's a difficult skill to execute at the best of times.

I recall plenty of criticism of Clare a couple of years ago for the short sidelines, tried against us and many of them went awry meaning a more dangerous possesion for the opposition.

I think if you have someone that can score from a sideline, then if he is within range he should go for it everytime.

There is a definitely a bias towards possession in hurling at the moment most likely made popular through the influence of styles employed in other sports. But as Pat O Connor illustrated, its a risky game. A mistake while playing a posession game is heavily punished in a game like hurling. I've seen plenty of commentary saying that was a freak, but that is seriously naive. We've seen the product of mistakes when trying to maintain the ball in our own half on plenty of occasions the past two years.

Not damning the idea of finding the man in the best possession than just driving it as far and as fast as possible, but possession is not the be all and end all.

Two points: when we have a sideline, the opposition have an extra man in play.

With this in mind it makes it harder to win a ball anyway.

Secondly, and especially in light of the previous point, playing a ball directly across the field is madness. If that goes wrong, you have given an opposing player a chance to break on to it at pace and taken out two of your own team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I think Giveitfong is absolutely spot on re our sideline efforts. He demonstrated the wastage on our side. I never rule out Aussie from scoring, especially when he takes his time and settles down on the cut. We do hit way too many of them astray from further back though and that needs to be addressed somewhat. Small margins may count again in this game.

I must say John Mullane wrote a brilliant article on Monday. I think that he was alerting Sunday's referee to the bull**** that Fitzgerald and co bring to proceedings with their bullying tactics on the line. I expect a more robust response from our line on Sunday should the little man from Clare start this nonsense again.

In a way I hope this match turns out to be a strong physical battle as we have more strength on our side plus skill.

Our management team have several options up front as to what way they will go but to me it looks as if it is a straight choice between Pauric and Maurice for Tom's slot and therefore inherit the free taking duties also.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Anyone that thinks a sideline is 80-20 is deluded. It's a difficult skill to execute at the best of times.

I recall plenty of criticism of Clare a couple of years ago for the short sidelines, tried against us and many of them went awry meaning a more dangerous possesion for the opposition.

I think if you have someone that can score from a sideline, then if he is within range he should go for it everytime.

There is a definitely a bias towards possession in hurling at the moment most likely made popular through the influence of styles employed in other sports. But as Pat O Connor illustrated, its a risky game. A mistake while playing a posession game is heavily punished in a game like hurling. I've seen plenty of commentary saying that was a freak, but that is seriously naive. We've seen the product of mistakes when trying to maintain the ball in our own half on plenty of occasions the past two years.

Not damning the idea of finding the man in the best possession than just driving it as far and as fast as possible, but possession is not the be all and end all.

Two points: when we have a sideline, the opposition have an extra man in play.

With this in mind it makes it harder to win a ball anyway.

Secondly, and especially in light of the previous point, playing a ball directly across the field is madness. If that goes wrong, you have given an opposing player a chance to break on to it at pace and taken out two of your own team.

Kilkenny several times have used TJ Reid to take a sideline cut, where he passes it immediately to someone like Richie Hogan or whomever is closest - they are all switched on to it. In turn, the ball is hand passed back to Reid who now is in space with the ball in his hand and has an infinitely better chance of scoring.

Intelligence!

Giveitfong is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Have to feel theres some vindication for skully ryan with how things have gone for him in westmeath ,punching well above their weight pulling results from nowhere, he had 20 of those u 21 (you would presume all the starters) in senior camp as well as functioning as a selector, got them promoted in the league ,famous win over offaly for first time in 40 odd years he seems to do well with a team of people who should have no expectation of upsetting tradition

no problem with derek mcgrath, but i think he was well hard done by, cody had to go over to him to congratulate him after the extra time loss in 13 , stating it was the first time he ever saw waterford go toe to toe with them ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Have to feel theres some vindication for skully ryan with how things have gone for him in westmeath ,punching well above their weight pulling results from nowhere, he had 20 of those u 21 (you would presume all the starters) in senior camp as well as functioning as a selector, got them promoted in the league ,famous win over offaly for first time in 40 odd years he seems to do well with a team of people who should have no expectation of upsetting tradition

no problem with derek mcgrath, but i think he was well hard done by, cody had to go over to him to congratulate him after the extra time loss in 13 , stating it was the first time he ever saw waterford go toe to toe with them ,

It is somewhat controversial point

As someone who supported Ryan and felt he was wronged
    And slated McGrath particularly in the league of his first year....I feel he has earned the right not to critised in favour of Ryan now though

It is somewhat controversial point

As someone who supported Ryan and felt he was wronged
    And slated McGrath particularly in the league of his first year....I feel he has earned the right not to critised in favour of Ryan now though

I stated i dont have a problem with derek ,and i think hes done as well as could be expected, but , in my heart i think skully might have done better, the wa weplayed against kk in 13 was mesmerising, the fast ball the quick wit the bouncing off the hard turf, i like derek, but i lament a man who has 7 ( yes SEVEN) all irelands with waterford was ****ed out by a load of lads the new manager retired as soon as he had the mandate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Intermediate team named tonight?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Would Ryan have moved on the older players like mcgrath did though. Guess we will never know. Roll on Sunday it should be a cracker. Team will more or less pick itself as usual . Maurice likely to replace devine from the last day and hopefully Curran is available. Concerned about that ref though I can see him spoiling the game .

Would Ryan have moved on the older players like mcgrath did though. Guess we will never know. Roll on Sunday it should be a cracker. Team will more or less pick itself as usual . Maurice likely to replace devine from the last day and hopefully Curran is available. Concerned about that ref though I can see him spoiling the game .

i honestly think that was their motivation for dumping him( to avoid a clean out), he had more success than could be expected but they got rid of him anyway, on the day of the minor success no less, with less than half the panel in attendance, an absolute stitch up

once they ****ed out the last manager they had no choice but to put up and shut up when a new lad appointed, in that respect maybe they did us a favour by killing off the so called player power

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

, but i think he was well hard done by, cody had to go over to him to congratulate him after the extra time loss in 13 , stating it was the first time he ever saw waterford go toe to toe with them ,

in fairness Kilkenny were poor in 2013, you could argue that we messed up a great chance to beat them, they were well beaten by a poor enough cork team in their next match

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Intermediate team named tonight?

I'd love to know who's in charge an what is the starting team like?

Ryan would still be there now if the players hadn't acted. The county board weren't going to oust him anytime soon and he would have stayed in the job until his death-bed if he could, such was the mans love for managing his county. Harsh way to end it, and I don't believe for a second that one player took any pleasure in doing what they did. But it had to be done and 3 years down the line looking back I think it was the correct decision in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

I really hope we batter this Clare crowd , you would swear they were the best hurling team that ever lived with their referee helped league title . Anybody like me whose going to the game that doesn't leave Thurles with a sore throat hasn't done their job . Get behind the team and hopefully cheer them to victory !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

decies wrote: »
    I really hope we batter this Clare crowd , you would swear they were the best hurling team that ever lived with their referee helped league title . Anybody like me whose going to the game that doesn't leave Thurles with a sore throat hasn't done their job . Get behind the team and hopefully cheer them to victory !!!

I wouldn't back againest this being repeated as an all Ireland final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

decies wrote: »

If ye can't beat this Clare team with 3 first choice backs missing, then ye aren't going anywhere. Conor Ryan, David McInerney and Pat Donnellan are all missing.

By the way,,,did Waterford not get a free at the end of the first half that the David Fitzgerald "conceeded" but never touched the Waterford player, yet a free given. The game balanced out on that score and the soft one awarded to Tony Kelly. I hope it won't come down to a referring decision on Sunday, but look at the whole game overall.
    Hon the Banner!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement