Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Figerty wrote: »
    decies wrote: »
    I really hope we batter this Clare crowd , you would swear they were the best hurling team that ever lived with their referee helped league title . Anybody like me whose going to the game that doesn't leave Thurles with a sore throat hasn't done their job . Get behind the team and hopefully cheer them to victory !!!

If ye can't beat this Clare team with 3 first choice backs missing, then ye aren't going anywhere. Conor Ryan, David McInerney and Pat Donnellan are all missing.

By the way,,,did Waterford not get a free at the end of the first half that the David Fitzgerald "conceeded" but never touched the Waterford player, yet a free given. The game balanced out on that score and the soft one awarded to Tony Kelly. I hope it won't come down to a referring decision on Sunday, but look at the whole game overall.
    Hon the Banner
    Is that yourself Davy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Is that yourself Davy?

No, but also add Aaron Cunningham to that list also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If ye can't beat this Clare team with 3 first choice backs missing, then ye aren't going anywhere. Conor Ryan, David McInerney and Pat Donnellan are all missing.

By the way,,,did Waterford not get a free at the end of the first half that the David Fitzgerald "conceeded" but never touched the Waterford player, yet a free given. The game balanced out on that score and the soft one awarded to Tony Kelly. I hope it won't come down to a referring decision on Sunday, but look at the whole game overall.
    Hon the Banner!

I doubt anyone is naive enough to think that at least one of them won't magically be ok for Sunday
    In reality who deos fitz thinks he's fooling

As for the league final it did show up some flaws in the waterford game...I really can't wait for this match and find it astonishing quality of some of the tickets still available online yesterday....taught this would sell out quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

999/112 wrote: »

What's your point? I was there anyway.

I wouldn't say there is any difference in Clare and Waterford's travelling support.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I was there too, was a decent crowd for a freezing cold day that was also on Valentines day to be fair. The missus didn't appreciate her "present" of a ticket in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Hon the Banner!

Or what about when Cunningham got the hurley into the head intentional or not it should have been a Clare free.

Or what about when Cunningham got the hurley into the head intentional or not it should have been a Clare free.

As a Claren man I disagree, the hit on Cunningham was accidental. The ball wa in the air, the waterford man played the ball and the follow through hit him. That's one you have to suck up and take. The ref was right.

I doubt anyone is naive enough to think that at least one of them won't magically be ok for Sunday

As for the league final it did show up some flaws in the waterford game...I really can't wait for this match and find it astonishing quality of some of the tickets still available online yesterday....taught this would sell out quickly

Not likely, Conlon might be ok for some part of it. But the rest won't.

Bank Holiday weekend matches usually suffer on attendance figures. Leaving cert around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't see us doing well in the qualifiers as there are potentially very tough games in it.

Imagine getting Dublin/Kilkenny or Galway in the 1st round. Wexford would be a very tough draw and have a bit of a hoax over us. Loais,Westmeath and Offaly Wud be the easier picks but anything can happen on the day

Round 2 could feature teams Like Cork, Limerick and Tipperary

Wud love a Waterford vs Limerick Munster final and Dublin vs Galway Leinster final. Leaving the bigger guns Clare, Kilkenny and Tipperary fight it out in the qualifiers

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can't see us doing well in the qualifiers as there are potentially very tough games in it.

Imagine getting Dublin/Kilkenny or Galway in the 1st round. Wexford would be a very tough draw and have a bit of a hoax over us. Loais,Westmeath and Offaly Wud be the easier picks but anything can happen on the day

Round 2 could feature teams Like Cork, Limerick and Tipperary

Wud love a Waterford vs Limerick Munster final and Dublin vs Galway Leinster final. Leaving the bigger guns Clare, Kilkenny and Tipperary fight it out in the qualifiers

Looking for the soft route to the All-Ireland final?
    From the outside it always seems that Waterford want to win an Ireland but don't have the confidence to beat the big teams along the way. Clare were like that until Loughnane beat it out of us..there is no soft All-Ireland, it has to be a relentless pursuit along the way.. no prisoners to history.
    I hope Waterford win an all-Ireland, and they have the talent to do it but not at the expense of Clare mind you!

• Advertisement

PTH is not playing on Sunday. No need to worry about this team's mentality.

Looking for the soft route to the All-Ireland final?
    From the outside it always seems that Waterford want to win an Ireland but don't have the confidence to beat the big teams along the way. Clare were like that until Loughnane beat it out of us..there is no soft All-Ireland, it has to be a relentless pursuit along the way.. no prisoners to history.
    I hope Waterford win an all-Ireland, and they have the talent to do it but not at the expense of Clare mind you!

If we do a Clare 2013 on it and win the all Ireland without playing Tipperary and Kilkenny I'll take that.

The draw for round 1A qualifiers in the football takes place next Tuesday. We are in with Armagh, Derry,Carlow,Wiclow,Leitrim and the losers of Dublin/Loais and Meath/Louth. Few winnable games there

If we do a Clare 2013 on it and win the all Ireland without playing Tipperary and Kilkenny I'll take that.

The draw for round 1A qualifiers in the football takes place next Tuesday. We are in with Armagh, Derry,Carlow,Wiclow,Leitrim and the losers of Dublin/Loais and Meath/Louth. Few winnable games there

Indeed, I would take it again also, but hoping for the handy route through is never a going to win an all-Ireland.

only 2 posters have gone our way in the hurling pools thread

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

only 2 posters have gone our way in the hurling pools thread

Really! That's it so, we may as well give Clare the walk over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What is with interviews with the Waterford management always on the quays. Are they living in a boat on the docks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

citykat wrote: »
    What is with interviews with the Waterford management always on the quays. Are they living in a boat on the docks?

Yep. Have been for years

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Derek and jake live on a boat together down there

Maurice and dunford in for Dillon and devine

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Clare in Semple Stadium on Sunday at 4pm has being named.

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
    6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    18. Darragh Fives (Tourin)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)
    21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

Best of luck to Derek and all the lads! #DeiseAbú

• Advertisement

Must be the youngest intermediate team Waterford have ever had.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Must be the youngest intermediate team Waterford have ever had.

Yes it probably is . And no harm considering our poor record in this grade

Intermediate team for those wondering...

1. Gavin Power (Dungarvan)
    2. William Hahessy (Clonea)
    3. Niall Fives (Tourin)
    4. Kieran Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    5. Míchéal Harney (Bunmahon)
    6. Conor Prunty (Abbeyside)
    7. Billy O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)
    8. Seamus Keating (Ardmore)
    9. Mark O'Brien (Ferrybank)
    10. Andy Molumby (Cappoquin)
    11. David Gartland (Ardmore)
    12. Jordan Henley (Tallow)
    13. Peter Hogan (Ballygunner)
    14. DJ Foran (Portlaw)
    15. Tommy Waring (Erins Own)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

What's the point of intermediate and junior teams at intercounty level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Gavin Power hasn't played in goal since 2013, they've surely found another keeper since then?

Very surprised he has dropped Jake too

Between the senior and intermediate teams are almost all the 2013 all Ireland minor team playing or included

Strong senior team and with so much talent we have it's a tough choice too leave some players out

Impact subs Dillon, pauric, Devine and Stephen Bennett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

'Sitting by the clock on the quay...'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Very surprised he has dropped Jake too

He's the weakest player on the team so the obvious choice to drop. The real hard decision is who to drop if Mahony comes back this year.

• Advertisement

McGrath seemed to love his work rate though. Colin will make way for Mahony if he's back on form. For Sunday I think they'll line up like
    SOK
    Shane Fives, Barry, Noelie
    Darragh Fives
    Philip Mahony, Tadhg, Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron, Colin Dunford
    Brick, Shane Bennett, Aussie
    Maurice and Paddy Curran

Then we have the likes of Brian O'Halloran, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon, Stephen Bennett, Tom Devine to come in...when have we ever had 5 subs as strong as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

McGrath seemed to love his work rate though. Colin will make way for Mahony if he's back on form. For Sunday I think they'll line up like
    SOK
    Darragh Fives
    Maurice and Paddy Curran

Then we have the likes of Brian O'Halloran, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon, Stephen Bennett, Tom Devine to come in...when have we ever had 5 subs as strong as that?

Never before - harder to pick a team now than ever before

As much as the "weve defied all expectations" approach McGrath takes irks me a bit, it's really nothing compared to Davy's description of Tony kelly taking the free the last day.

You'd swear he took the free himself the way he's going on.

As much as the "weve defied all expectations" approach McGrath takes irks me a bit, it's really nothing compared to Davy's description of Tony kelly taking the free the last day.

You'd swear he took the free himself the way he's going on.

Although Davy won 2 Al and 3 Munster's as a player I think he was an average enough goalkeeper, his fiery attitude helped him get over more. Brendan Cummins, DOC, James Mcgarry, Damien Fitzhenry ahead on the pecking order for top goalkeepers of the late 90's/early 00's

Derek was more of a good club player who never really shined at senior intercounty level. Think he actually got injured in training a few days before the 2009 club all Ireland Final.

Fitzgerald was a good keeper, better than Cusack who was exceptionally over rated and McGarry.

The other two are arguably to of the best of all time so no shame there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Davy was a great keeper. Fitzhenry was probably the best I've seen. DOC was great too, a new style keeper that probably changed the way keepers play more than any other and provided the base for the Cork attacks.

I don't generally hear mcgarrys name mentioned when talking about the great keepers of that era, although he was excellent. Not on the same level as the other 4 though.

Cummins was another great one but the least great of the 4 in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just listening to an interview with Derek McGrath on Off the Ball on Newstalk. Not sure when it was recorded.

McGrath comes across as a very honest, likeable guy (I think I've said this on this thread before when I heard a previous interview). It's great listening to him... he practices some meditation, he listens to songs from muscials. Interesting chap! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

SOK
    Darragh Fives
    Maurice and Paddy Curran

all forwards,,

Clare team. Conlon back and rumours of a few of the previously injured guys on the bench

1. Pa Kelly
    2. Oisin O'Brien
    3. Cian Dillon
    4. Pat O'Connor
    5. Brendan Bugler
    6. Conor Cleary
    7. David Fitzgerald
    8. Colm Galvin
    9. David Reidy
    10. John Conlon
    11. Tony Kelly
    12. Darach Honan
    13. Podge Collins
    14. Shane O'Donnell
    15. Conor McGrath

Nerves setting in quick now how am I going too sleep tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

too fu#]%&g dear ,if you have say 25,000 at the match at €25 =€625000 and the place half full/empty or you could have 45/50,000 @ €15=€675.000/750.000 ,point im making is when people go to matches they continue to go and when they stay at home,its very hard for them to get into travelling again,also its better to have the place full/ish than half empty ,,when will they ever learn

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

If Waterford have real designs on winning an All-Ireland and beating Kilkenny in the process they have to be putting Clare away-full stop.
    I believe that they have such designs and I believe that they are good enough.
    Tomorrow is NOT league. Tomorrow is war and Waterford will prevail with something to spare.
    Their time is now!!!

• Advertisement

If Waterford have real designs on winning an All-Ireland and beating Kilkenny in the process they have to be putting Clare away-full stop.
    I believe that they have such designs and I believe that they are good enough.
    Tomorrow is NOT league. Tomorrow is war and Waterford will prevail with something to spare.
    Their time is now!!!

Strongest Waterford team I've seen in a long time, very balanced.

I know a few people have put a bet on that there will be a sending off in the first five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Niallers87

I know a few people have put a bet on that there will be a sending off in the first five minutes.
    jez i dunno about a sending off in the first five minutes! I know both teams will be fired up but the two games played between these teams already have been played in a pretty honest manner. I dont think the managers on both sides will send there teams out to do that; if either team are not focussed on the task at hand from the start they could be in trouble

Hope to God the ref lets them hurl.
    Certainly the absence of Jake gives it a more attacking look. But at what price?
    If Conlon is fully fit he'll bring a totally different dimension to the Clare team.
    Likewise if Paudie is anywhere near his best when introduced he is the man who can find the pass that will create goals for us. Maybe release the full potential of Bennett and Curran.
    Can't wait for it.

Hope to God the ref lets them hurl.
    Certainly the absence of Jake gives it a more attacking look. But at what price?
    If Conlon is fully fit he'll bring a totally different dimension to the Clare team.
    Likewise if Paudie is anywhere near his best when introduced he is the man who can find the pass that will create goals for us. Maybe release the full potential of Bennett and Curran.
    Can't wait for it.

I agree,, if we get a ref that is nervous then over-reaction is possible.
    Conlon will test the full back..It gives Clare a different route than the last day. Conlon gives Clare midfield a pressure relief valve.

Conlon will test the full back..It gives Clare a different route than the last day. Conlon gives Clare midfield a pressure relief valve.

Conlon cud be the winning of the game for Clare. We all knw what Derek will say if we lose 'we're a young team still developing and there will be plenty of bumps along the way'

Someone was saying to me the qualifiers mite suite us better it gives players like Pauric, Maurice etc more match time but what if we draw Kilkenny or Dublin in round 1 and our season ends prematurely ???. A big beating of the likes of Offaly, laois in round 1 wud boost confidence

We still have the under 21 championship too fall back on in July if **** happens to the seniors

Conlon cud be the winning of the game for Clare. We all knw what Derek will say if we lose 'we're a young team still developing and there will be plenty of bumps along the way'

Someone was saying to me the qualifiers mite suite us better it gives players like Pauric, Maurice etc more match time but what if we draw Kilkenny or Dublin in round 1 and our season ends prematurely ???. A big beating of the likes of Offaly, laois in round 1 wud boost confidence

We still have the under 21 championship too fall back on in July if **** happens to the seniors
    Are you feeling the nerves PTH??
    It's great isn't it? Don't worry by this time tomorrow night they'll all be changing there minds and making up stories about how Mc Grath tweaked this ,that and the other and we're not so sh1te after all.

Pth stop going on about qualifiers will you!

Pth stop going on about qualifiers will you!

Same year in year out. Not only qualifiers but assuming the worst draw possible.

Heard last night there could be an injury forced change to the team with mahony in for Curran. Would be great of course to see Mahony back but Curran a huge loss if it is the case. Still if the guy ain't fit, then don't risk him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Some man to be negative. Loves thinking the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Conlon hasn't hurled in 3 months. Looks a big gamble to start him if you ask me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement