Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

All the very best to the seniors and intermediates today. Hopefully a Munster final to look forward to by 6pm this evening.

Hon the Déise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

Jackie reporting on twitter pauric starting looks like that's legitimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who knew that a student card starting in 2011 would not work ****en cow lol.

Intermediates well beaten 3-20- 2-12 say they players and management weren't arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Who knew that a student card starting in 2011 would not work ****en cow lol.

Intermediates well beaten 3-20- 2-12 say they players and management weren't arsed

Haha mines 2010, I just burned the 0 so you can't make it out really, they wouldn't accept it in June 2014 because they said I'm done college (even though I done a masters 2014-2015 so was still a student), they presume everyone's in college 4 years which is stupid.

works every time now!

Disappointing for intermidates, Foran and Harney the best of the u21s on display

Pauric on for dunford

Strongest team possible out today

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Referee is screwing us! Hope history dosent repeat itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Is it too early to start the rounds of Olé Olé? Stephen Bennett is a cousin of mine and I was delighted to see him get a good long run :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well done to Waterford. Brilliant tactics and display. And IMHO that team are serious contenders for the ultimate prize.

Well done lads, we may have played better before but we dominated today and didn't allow them to play.

Onwards to a crack at Munster, we're overdue that title. Worst case an AI quarter final.

Go on the Déise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Justice was served for Waterford today.To be honest I was worried when Clare got into the game in the last 20 minutes or so, but they couldn't do league final on us this time!!. Waterford really had the work cut out for them today and it paid off well.

Nothing gives more entertainment then seeing Davy Fitz going bat**** crazy on the sidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Better team today no doubt about that. Frustrating though seemed like there was more in Clare but ye didn't let us play. There is no fear of ye in thurles. It's when you get to croke Park things fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Well done to the Waterford players very important win, would not like to be going through the qualifier minefield that's for sure. Thought Maurice was an absolute handful for Clare all day. He does what defenders normally do which is play close to the edge of fouling and tackling and forces the ref into a difficult decision. Great to see Pauric back too a vital cog in this machine and i think Darragh Fives is starting to hit top form. But Austin Gleason was an absolute colossus today like whats his limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Waaterford won the lions share of the ruckball on the ground......Moran and especially Brick were massive in this regard.

**** ur qualifiers

Well done

What a summer we have in store late summer hurling, the euros

It's going to be a good night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Will we bate tipp

• Advertisement

Will we bate tipp

They have too beat Limerick first

We cud be Limerick bound if Tipperary win the semi

Will we bate tipp

Can't write Limerick off at all but i think if Tipp do come through it will be a much closer game than last years Munster final. The great thing about this Waterford team is that Bennett and Curran were generally quite by their standards but they could come out the next day and cause any defence real problems. With plenty of options up front, competition like that is vital if you want to be playing in September.
    Kilkenny (with no injuries) and Tipp in that order still favourites for the all Ireland and Galway a dangerous side but i think Waterford have closed the gap again this year. Waterford are not far away at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done lads best team won today by a mile , we could have done with that scoreboard operator from croke park yesterday to give us a dig out ,

ye cancelled us out all over the place and caught us on the break , punished every time we hit a wide with a score down the other end , the game plan is coming together nicely now and it dose seem to be close to being perfected ,great win

well done lads best team won today by a mile , we could have done with that scoreboard operator from croke park yesterday to give us a dig out ,

ye cancelled us out all over the place and caught us on the break , punished every time we hit a wide with a score down the other end , the game plan is coming together nicely now and it dose seem to be close to being perfected ,great win

Clare really needed a fully fit Conlon and McInerney today. No team will fancy meeting Clare in the qualifiers but i think your weakest link is standing on the sideline. I think is passion is clouding his judgement at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clare really needed a fully fit Conlon and McInerney today. No team will fancy meeting Clare in the qualifiers but i think your weakest link is standing on the sideline. I think is passion is clouding his judgement at times.

yeah i agree with this , fitz dosnt know how to compensate players to positions and tactics i feel , however today we were not let play and i dont think it would have made a huge difference any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah just following up on other Clare supporters here, ye were by far the better team, no excuses here.

Best luck going forward too, that's a serious team ye have, proper AI contenders.

Jackie Cahill has a piece on the42.ie on the intermediate game. He suggests that DJ Foran, who got 2-4 today for the intermediates, is tipped for a senior call up due to recent club form. Another talented U21 player who hopefully can realise his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Austin ****ing Gleeson lads. What a performance. MOTM for sure, special mentions to Noel Connors, Daragh Fives, Maurice Shanahan and Kevin Moran (2nd half) as well.

Great stuff to be into a Munster final, nice to be able to relax now and watch Leinster, Munster and qualifier games as we retreat to the long grass till the 10th July. Nice place to be.

This will be our 7th Munster final appearance of the last 10. More than any other county. Would be nice to win a third of those seven though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

KevIRL wrote: »
    Austin ****ing Gleeson lads. What a performance. MOTM for sure, special mentions to Noel Connors, Daragh Fives, Maurice Shanahan and Kevin Moran (2nd half) as well.

Great stuff to be into a Munster final, nice to be able to relax now and watch Leinster, Munster and qualifier games as we retreat to the long grass till the 10th July. Nice place to be.

This will be our 7th Munster final appearance of the last 10. More than any other county. Would be nice to win a third of those seven though..

Our 10th in the last 15 years, and if we win it we'll have won half of them.

Our 10th in the last 15 years, and if we win it we'll have won half of them.

Good times indeed. Not so long ago we would only make 1 or 2 appearances in a decade and often get bet out the gate in the final.

Few important dates

Munster minoir semi final vs Limerick- walsh park 29th june 7.30
    Munster u21 semi final vs Clare- Walsh park 13th July 7.30

Senior final sun 10th july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Fcuk YESSSS. Great day out, red arms and a hoarse throat. Met another boardsie too, although he doesn't know it yet. Delighted with that performance. Can't wait for 10th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Most geniuses have a flaw, e.g Elvis, Ronnie O'Sullivan,Van Gogh (for those critics, the latter individual was some form of artist, apparently). Aussie, F**k those small minded, ignoramuses.

Robopaddy2 ..."what do you think of that" to quote Kieran Donaghy (refer to my quote of 18 Feb, around the time you were calling for Austin to learn his trade)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Fcuk YESSSS. Great day out, red arms and a hoarse throat. Met another boardsie too, although he doesn't know it yet. Delighted with that performance. Can't wait for 10th July.

Did you leave him sleeping?!

Great win today, all this talk of Clare not playing well, they weren't allowed play well. Good dept in the squad too, will hopefully be a long summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

000c5886-642.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Comprehensive win, great to see Shan back to his best. It will be interesting to see what Sean Stack has to say about that?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Few important dates

Munster minoir semi final vs Limerick- walsh park 29th june 7.30
    Munster u21 semi final vs Clare- Walsh park 13th July 7.30

Senior final sun 10th july

Is this right we're playing U21 3 days after Munster final similar to last year? Why can't this game be played a week or two before or after the Munster final. That's a complete joke.......3 days!!! That's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

the thing i am most impressed with today , besides the fact that a 10 min spell just after half time , put an avarage Clare side to bed, but it was the quality of substitutes we could spring from the Bench, really are bulking out the panel now, think we'll beat Tipp , just think that they will overcome Limerick, because Limerick Management seem unable to get them fit enough to play Balls out for 70 min, and cupboard is bare after first 15, but just think Tipp are still unsure and have not really been tested, limerick will test them for 40 mn and die on their hole, but we'll hit them foe 70+, and win by 3 points, C'mon Waterford, Great day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

niallo27 wrote: »
    Better team today no doubt about that. Frustrating though seemed like there was more in Clare but ye didn't let us play. There is no fear of ye in thurles. It's when you get to croke Park things fall apart.
    Fall apart? If you mean losing out to a better and more experienced KK side in the AI semi final last year? Show me where else you claim this group of guys has 'fallen apart'. Maybe look at the issues a bit closer to home, Ye have won 1 game in the Munster Championship since 2008. Aside from 2013 which is looking like a bit of a once off, ye have showed no form at all.

Most geniuses have a flaw, e.g Elvis, Ronnie O'Sullivan,Van Gogh (for those critics, the latter individual was some form of artist, apparently). Aussie, F**k those small minded, ignoramuses.

Robopaddy2 ..."what do you think of that" to quote Kieran Donaghy (refer to my quote of 18 Feb, around the time you were calling for Austin to learn his trade)
    Happy to be proven wrong. Austin is coming of age and is becoming the player we know he could be. I still stand over my comments at the time that he had a lot to learn, and his league final performances didn't do anything to change my mind. But when he's on yesterdays form he's one of the best in the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Will we bate tipp

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The perfect performance. Team selection,match ups, decision making all got right. Moran's best game all year for us he was superb. Aussie,what can you say! His natural ability and balls to do what he does,at 20yrs of age is a joy to behold,and when he plays the way he played yesterday he's unplayable.
    Clare had 11 wides in the first half and were so poor in that time they were unrecognisable from the league final but when they eventually came at us in the second half and got to within 4 of us I can honestly say we saw the inner strength of this team shine through then. Have no doubt if we meet the Tipp's and Kilkenny's of this world later in the year you can expect the same treatment because yesterday proved one thing,we're on more than a revenge mission,we're the real deal and as Mullane said on the radio it will take some team to stop us. Connors at full back on Conlon was some display aswell and it went unnoticed by alot of the pundits and to think we scored 1.21, 1.15 of it from play and Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran were quieter than normal!
    We have strength on the bench now which we will need going forward but for today,and for really the first time I cant see too many getting the better of us by the end of the championship. I suppose the biggest fear is that what happened to Clare might happen to us as in we might give a flat performance but I believe the hunger we have for the ultimate prize will counteract that such problem.
    From the intermediate game its obvious Foran deserves a call up to the senior panel. What a hand on this fella I think he could be another option for us if utilised accordingly.
    So a huge congrats to everyone involved there's nothing more refreshing than when you see Waterford people bursting with pride on our team's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Happy to be proven wrong. Austin is coming of age and is becoming the player we know he could be. I still stand over my comments at the time that he had a lot to learn, and his league final performances didn't do anything to change my mind. But when he's on yesterdays form he's one of the best in the business.

Fair enough Robopaddy2 !

Onwards and upwards for this team.

The Ref was largely anonymous today, which is a good sign.

Would like to see subs come in 5-10 minutes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

cul beag wrote: »
    We have strength on the bench now which we will need going forward but for today,and for really the first time I cant see too many getting the better of us by the end of the championship.

Let's not get carried away.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

well played waterford hope ye plough on an win it out

By the time we play again (barring replays) there will be only 6 teams left in the championship. The qualifiers will be finished the night before the munster final and the Leinster final is the week before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

By the time we play again (barring replays) there will be only 6 teams left in the championship. The qualifiers will be finished the night before the munster final and the Leinster final is the week before it.

A nice thought. There have been times when I've was grateful that Waterford were one of the 6 teams left in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Good times indeed. Not so long ago we would only make 1 or 2 appearances in a decade and often get bet out the gate in the final.

And this is why we are "ruining" hurling for all the "neutrals". We were great fellas when they were scoring 5 & 7 goals against us. If yesterday passes for "puke" hurling then long may it continue.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

If Tipp beat Limerick the munster final could well be on in Limerick . I know Waterford would be willing to concede home advantage to Tipp and have it in Thurles but munster council may not allow that again this year as they are keen to have a final In Limerick I'm told

Hopefully Thurles anyway, I read something about it having to be Thurles since the stadium has hawk-eye. Gaelic Grounds in Limerick doesn't.
    Imagine the uproar if they held it in Lk (just assuming Tipp come through) and a controversial point/wide cost either side..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'm fed up of people giving out about our style of play, other teams play a similar system but we seems to get the most stick, we scored 1-21 which is certainly not bad scoring when you consider we hit a lot of wides, We scored 3 goals in the league SF against Limerick, everyone agrees the first day against Clare was poor but that happens, can anyone honestly say they did not enjoy our hurling yesterday especially in the second half. It's just typical negativity about Waterford people think we should still be playing wide open hurling and having to score 4 goals to win a match, Some of the points we scored yesterday were as good as you will see if you want to see a negative and boring game then watch Cork against Tipp but to suggest that scoring 1-21 in a Munster championship is playing negative is ridiculous.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hopefully Thurles anyway, I read something about it having to be Thurles since the stadium has hawk-eye. Gaelic Grounds in Limerick doesn't.
    Imagine the uproar if they held it in Lk (just assuming Tipp come through) and a controversial point/wide cost either side..

If puc was still intact the match wud be there like in 2011/2012 if we're playing tipp. I imagine when the new place is built it will have hawkeye

Thurles Wud be easier for tickets than Limerick.

If it's Limerick in the final it will deff be in thurles

I'd Love if the minors win in the semi final and we have a double day in the Munster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good job on yesterday's performance and did a very KK thing with the surge after half time. No final for me as on hols in France so will have to find a venue to get a score when I'm up a mountain side. Wearing the jersey though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    And this is why we are "ruining" hurling for all the "neutrals". We were great fellas when they were scoring 5 & 7 goals against us. If yesterday passes for "puke" hurling then long may it continue.

Ya it must be disappointing that the uppity Waterford haven't disappeared back to the Doldrums

Shur look theres only 7 or 8 teams in the championship that are realistic contenders anyway. Whoever is left is going to be tough to beat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement