Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the time to admire these lads is gone, we have enough heroes of our own, laochra gael the lot of them . nothing to fear everything to gain, lets do this

There bench looks weak enough but 1-15 look very good

Our entire senior panel is prob the strongest it's ever been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There bench looks weak enough but 1-15 look very good

Our entire senior panel is prob the strongest it's ever been

and we are what . 1-20/22 when have we had a bench keeping a fit colin dunford or brian o halloran or devine off the pitch, even our best team in 2004-2010 had maybe 12 first choice starter an maybe one or 2 over the hill impact subs(sorry lads,ye got old happens to all of us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

KevIRL wrote: »
    Sorry, just referring to this weekend, nothing further than that.

Yeah thought Dublin might well cause an upset but having seen the Kilkenny team I think they will win. Richie Hogan is no doubt a big loss but other than that I think they are pretty much full strength as captain or no captain, Shane Prendergast is only barely making that team.

Michael Fennellys inclusion is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It's mad to think that by the time we play again, Euro 2016 will basically be done and dusted (Munster final @ 4pm on the 10th, Euro final at 8pm on the 10th). Seems like ages away. Is there any more rounds of senior championship in that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cake Man wrote: »
    It's mad to think that by the time we play again, Euro 2016 will basically be done and dusted (Munster final @ 4pm on the 10th, Euro final at 8pm on the 10th). Seems like ages away. Is there any more rounds of senior championship in that time?

And more importantly, the Leinster championship will be done and dusted as will the qualifiers, barring replays of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Cake Man wrote: »

And more importantly, the Leinster championship will be done and dusted as will the qualifiers, barring replays of course.
    As someone said, just win our next 3 games & we'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    As someone said, just win our next 3 games & we'll be grand

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taken from Colligan GAA Page[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nice shot of the large crowd gathered in our field tonight as Colligan played host to the Co. SHC clash between Abbeyside and Cappoquin - after an entertaining contest , Abbeyside emerged winners by 1 - 20 to 2 - 15 ... fair play to all who helped with stewarding, parking cars etc. Overall a very entertaining evening and hopefully we'll see more Senior games come to our venue... [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] # GAA [/font]

Taken from FMW Page

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]County Senior Hurling Championship Result[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fourmilewater 0-24
    Tallow 0-11[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Well done to everyone involved[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

A game between the 04 team and the present team.Who would win and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

carter10 wrote: »

Completely opposite styles. Gung Ho attack versus a brilliant defence. You'd like to think the 04 team would but I guess it would depend on whether it's an All Ireland semi final or not.

04 team had more all star quality players but had mediocre players too. There's no weaknesses on the current team player wise but they are going to have to win multiple provincial titles/an all Ireland before they're worthy of being compared as equals.

A whole month till our next game. There's going to be a lot of ****e like this talked.

redlead wrote: »
    There's going to be a lot of ****e like this talked.

how many of the 2014-present team would get on the 2004-2010 team and vice versa bar the Brick and SOS ???

I could not imagine John Mullane, Ken, Tony, Paul Flynn being able to play the roles of the team today.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

carter10 wrote: »

The current crop 8/10 times - a way more more consistent team, much better defence and goalkeeper, better temperaments and discipline, the current team would also score a few goals against the old team (as most teams did)

The current crowd can grind out a win - think Clare in the AI semi in 02 - it would be a similar affair I'd say!

JesusRef wrote: »
    The current crowd can grind out a win - think Clare in the AI semi in 02 - it would be a similar affair I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

I see we're in silly season here. A long time to go till the 10th. Are we the real deal ? We will only know this come September. I have followed Waterford hurling a long time. My first game probable a league match I think in 1977. Yes 1977. I have seen it all. The worst in 82 and 83. Every year I'm convinced we'll win the All Ireland. This year no different. BUT we have a mountain to climb. Be it Tipp or Limerick in Munster. Limerick I believe if they get it right will rattle Tipp. Win or loose Munster we still have potentially Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipp, kilkenny, Galway or Dublin on route in All Ireland serious. But bring it on. This bunch under Derek and his team have a special bond and believe. Again will it be enough. That will only be revelied in September. But I'll keep believing that this is the year. Up The Deise.

I see we're in silly season here. A long time to go till the 10th. Are we the real deal ? We will only know this come September. I have followed Waterford hurling a long time. My first game probable a league match I think in 1977. Yes 1977. I have seen it all. The worst in 82 and 83. Every year I'm convinced we'll win the All Ireland. This year no different. BUT we have a mountain to climb. Be it Tipp or Limerick in Munster. Limerick I believe if they get it right will rattle Tipp. Win or loose Munster we still have potentially Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipp, kilkenny, Galway or Dublin on route in All Ireland serious. But bring it on. This bunch under Derek and his team have a special bond and believe. Again will it be enough. That will only be revelied in September. But I'll keep believing that this is the year. Up The Deise.

This is the first year since 07 I've gone into a championship thinking we could win it. I still get sick even thinking of that game. All through the Davy years I always had that fear we were going to get destroyed by someone. To Davy's credit it was always only Tipp or Kilkenny. The fear was always there though. Ryan had the transition team and the same was likely to happen. Thank God for that minor team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

redlead wrote: »
    This is the first year since 07 I've gone into a championship thinking we could win it. I still get sick even thinking of that game. All through the Davy years I always had that fear we were going to get destroyed by someone. To Davy's credit it was always only Tipp or Kilkenny bar Clare in 08. The fear was always there though. Ryan had the transition team and the same was likely to happen. Thank God for that minor team.

i feel so bad for skully ryan did better than could be expected got ****ed out anyway, dereks 3 year plan ends this year, if no dice would love to have him back

i feel so bad for skully ryan did better than could be expected got ****ed out anyway, dereks 3 year plan ends this year, if no dice would love to have him back

The ship has sailed. He's doing great stuff with Westmeath now anyway. I was annoyed when they got rid of him as I didn't rate McGrath at all but I'm happy to admit he's proven me wrong. He's done a great job and should be kept for another few years as this team matures.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Ballygunner demolishing Ballyduff Upper in the SHC tonight. 3-21 to 0-8 with 15 mins left. 1-10 for Pauric

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Ballygunner demolishing Ballyduff Upper in the SHC tonight. 3-21 to 0-8 with 15 mins left. 1-10 for Pauric

Even at this early stage it's looking like a Tallow V Ballyduff relegation playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

4-28 to 0-09 in the end. Christ

• Advertisement

Final score 4-28 to 0-9 . Pauric got 1-13 I think. Patrick Curran scored 1-8 for Dungarvan earlier in a good win over Passage

Sean power cud be next in line when McGrath goes but that won't be for a long time

2014 was a horrible year for Waterford and McGrath, players didn't have a clue what to do tactically, we let in a lot of goals, could and should of beaten cork in the qf but lost heavly in the replay, Laois asked questions of us but we got over the line and we lost to an average Wexford team in the graveyard of Nowlan Park

Was critical when I heard that some of the senior lads where dropped for the 2015 season with a few them being 1st team regulars in 2014 (Liam Lawlor, Jamie Nagle, Richie Foley) and . We also lost a few lads to retirement Molumphy, Seamus, Shane Walsh (speculating where they told there was no room in the 2015 panel for them ??) .

The ship is pretty much on course now and the current panel are like brothers and egos are left outside the door

Sean power cud be next in line when McGrath goes but that won't be for a long time

2014 was a horrible year for Waterford and McGrath, players didn't have a clue what to do tactically, we let in a lot of goals, could and should of beaten cork in the qf but lost heavly in the replay, Laois asked questions of us but we got over the line and we lost to an average Wexford team in the graveyard of Nowlan Park

Was critical when I heard that some of the senior lads where dropped for the 2015 season with a few them being 1st team regulars in 2014 (Liam Lawlor, Jamie Nagle, Richie Foley) and . We also lost a few lads to retirement Molumphy, Seamus, Shane Walsh (speculating where they told there was no room in the 2015 panel for them ??) .

The ship is pretty much on course now and the current panel are like brothers and egos are left outside the door

When you think back to his first year and the cull off the panel McGrath has down an incredible job... he is only 40 as well makes it even more impressive the way he backed himself to do it his way with no experience at this level to fall back on when times were tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

When you think back to his first year and the cull off the panel McGrath has down an incredible job... he is only 40 as well makes it even more impressive the way he backed himself to do it his way with no experience at this level to fall back on when times were tough

It was an insane cull and I honestly feared for the future of. Waterford hurling...knew we had a few good players to come through but taught twud be years before they made a impact

I remember being in nowlan park and they getting hammered (think they a 40 min player meeting after it) and the kk fans laughing at Waterford and I fuming in the stand....a week later they went to ennis and another hammering (5 goals afaik)

If I was told then that with 2-3 years Mcgrath would have Waterford even dreaming of winning an all Ireland I'd have been calling the mental on anyone saying such

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The logic of the Western board fixing another round of hurling fixtures for next weekend is unbelievable. Clubs were informed that no further rounds would be played after this weekend but now there are junior and intermediate ties down for decision. The amateurs running this is all for there to see and it is just another example of how ridiculous the whole set up is. Clubs have left players travel for the summer months under the pretence that no games were to be played and add to this other players doing exams it just shows what is thought of these such clubs. At a quick count I reckon there are 8-10 players from the county panel involved again next weekend and given that the management were of the same opinion regarding the games not being fixed,the now sudden change of heart by the board has scuppered their schedule leading into the Munster final along with the risk of several injuries being picked up also.
    One of the ties is Ballysaggart versus Lismore which won't be for the faint hearted I would imagine so the possibility of injuries being picked up surely increases in such a volatile game. Does this round of fixtures need to be played in such a hurry or can common sense prevail?

cul beag wrote: »
    The logic of the Western board fixing another round of hurling fixtures for next weekend is unbelievable. Clubs were informed that no further rounds would be played after this weekend but now there are junior and intermediate ties down for decision. The amateurs running this is all for there to see and it is just another example of how ridiculous the whole set up is. Clubs have left players travel for the summer months under the pretence that no games were to be played and add to this other players doing exams it just shows what is thought of these such clubs. At a quick count I reckon there are 8-10 players from the county panel involved again next weekend and given that the management were of the same opinion regarding the games not being fixed,the now sudden change of heart by the board has scuppered their schedule leading into the Munster final along with the risk of several injuries being picked up also.
    One of the ties is Ballysaggart versus Lismore which won't be for the faint hearted I would imagine so the possibility of injuries being picked up surely increases in such a volatile game. Does this round of fixtures need to be played in such a hurry or can common sense prevail?

It's three weeks before the Munster final, can't see the big problem with it, the board can't legislate for guys travelling if they want to travel and not miss a club game than pick a time close to the munster final as you won't get a club game due to involvement in either the munster final or qualifiers.

Can't he worried about injuries either - look I am sure there will be a big rivalry between Lismore and ballysaggart - but don't expect any game to be that volatile.... if that was the case there would never be a good time to play it

It's three weeks before the Munster final, can't see the big problem with it, the board can't legislate for guys travelling if they want to travel and not miss a club game than pick a time close to the munster final as you won't get a club game due to involvement in either the munster final or qualifiers.

Can't he worried about injuries either - look I am sure there will be a big rivalry between Lismore and ballysaggart - but don't expect any game to be that volatile.... if that was the case there would never be a good time to play it
    But clubs were told there wasn't going to be another round of fixtures so accordingly players booked holidays etc. Add to this the fact that Waterford were to be back training next Tues Wednesday and Thursday they now have to do without several key players until the following week. Ok maybe the game I mentioned may not boil over but the fact is the chance of injuries has increased with these list of fixtures going ahead. Why the rush to play just the Western fixtures next weekend all of a sudden? The problem is clubs are working on one list of fixtures and then at the drop of a hat are supposed to pull players back from other arrangements? It's no wonder the club players are complaining about being treated unfairly when this sort of amateurish decisions are being made. I hope all the clubs make a strong opposition to this and sanity eventually prevails. I imagine the Waterford management team aren't best pleased either!

cul beag wrote: »
    But clubs were told there wasn't going to be another round of fixtures so accordingly players booked holidays etc. Add to this the fact that Waterford were to be back training next Tues Wednesday and Thursday they now have to do without several key players until the following week. Ok maybe the game I mentioned may not boil over but the fact is the chance of injuries has increased with these list of fixtures going ahead. Why the rush to play just the Western fixtures next weekend all of a sudden? The problem is clubs are working on one list of fixtures and then at the drop of a hat are supposed to pull players back from other arrangements? It's no wonder the club players are complaining about being treated unfairly when this sort of amateurish decisions are being made. I hope all the clubs make a strong opposition to this and sanity eventually prevails. I imagine the Waterford management team aren't best pleased either!

If the club's were told there would be no fixture than ya you are right that is unfair on the players and clubs, apologies I didn't see that on your post

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Darragh Fives went off in Jnr match v 4mile today. Leg injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone in Walsh Park? Did Gleeson go off with a knee injury?

• Advertisement

Oh Christ! Great result for Roanmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Yes he did, but don't know how serious. Looked bad enough. And Data Fives last night.

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Yes he did, but don't know how serious. Looked bad enough. And Data Fives last night.

Dara Fives

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

bad injury for Austin gleeson today?

Any update?

The one player we can least afford to be without.

Bloody club games that's are season gone up In smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

He could get injured training.

Munster final team if Aussie and Dara are out

Sok

S fives
    B coughlan
    N Connors

C Gleeson ???
    Tdb
    Philip Mahony

J Barron
    K Moran

Pauirc Mahony
    Shane Bennett
    M Walsh

M Shannahan
    P Curran
    C Dunford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Ridiculous statement in this instance - you don't think intercounty players should be playing club matches FOUR WEEKS before the next championship outing?? Good luck having a functioning club championship from which to obtain intercounty players... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Anyone know for definite if Gleeson is badly injured or is this just speculation?

Massive blow if he is.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    Munster final team if Aussie and Dara are out

Stop speculating and wait till something official comes out about both players .

Stop speculating and wait till something official comes out about both players .

Fit young men - they'll recover quickly from whatever injuries they have. May not be too serious and it could have happened as easily in training. Of course we need to play club championship games when we have the chance, and with a five week break between senior games it was the correct thing to do.

I'd like to see what a county team would look like if we got rid of the bloody clubs - show the club's some respect there would be nothing without them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He has to be a troll, nobody can be that negative

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He has to be a troll, nobody can be that negative

Nope just letting off a bit of steam no offence was meant (heat is making me narky)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Nothing officially confirmed on severity of the injuries but it appears Derek has pulled next weeks intermediate fixtures in fear of any more.
    Still a round of football scheduled to go ahead in 2 weekends time but I wouldn't be surprised to see that pulled also. Or at least any games involving Waterford players.
    Hopefully the injuries aren't too serious. Heard that Dunford came off injured for Colligan too, anyone able to confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

Any news on Austin Gleeson today?

Rumour that he could be out for a while by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

All Intermediate games gone, All football games involving Senior Hurlers gone as well... At this rate we'll have the same situation as last year come September/October....

Clubs need to stand up now and realize that games have to be played.. Otherwise we may as well all go to America and start playing 2 games a week in September to finish championships..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

leerushon wrote: »
    All Intermediate games gone, All football games involving Senior Hurlers gone as well... At this rate we'll have the same situation as last year come September/October....

Clubs need to stand up now and realize that games have to be played.. Otherwise we may as well all go to America and start playing 2 games a week in September to finish championships..

I think they should play the club games. The players can get injured at intercounty level too. Maybe the clubs should call a halt to the intercounty fixtures while the club championship is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Deise2016 wrote: »
    Any news on Austin Gleeson today?

Rumour that he could be out for a while by the looks of it.

Can't be too serious if there is no mention of any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

blue note wrote: »
    I think they should play the club games. The players can get injured at intercounty level too. Maybe the clubs should call a halt to the intercounty fixtures while the club championship is on!

I understand Derek McGrath's point of view as well though, the effort these lads put in is unbelievable..
    The poor club player is getting ridden again... The clubs have to put the foot down and look for games to be played, give the county board a mandate to play them.

No point in giving out in September that the games weren't played.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement