Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

O Riain wrote: »
    Can't be too serious if there is no mention of any of it.

Heard Aussie's injury is not too serious but so many different stories going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    O Riain wrote: »
    Can't be too serious if there is no mention of any of it.

Heard Aussie's injury is not too serious but so many different stories going around
    Yea mostly from people like you, picking teams without him and speculating even though you know nothing about his injury.

An awful lot of bull**** on here, criticising club matches and the decisions to play club games. Genuine GAA people know the importance of the club championship. The club championships are already a month behind due to the league final replay and now I see Derek McGrath has called for the cancellation of another round. Basically 1000 club players in the county being pushed out to accommodate an elite group of 30. Ludicrous when you think of it. The clubs are the bread and butter of the GAA, the show should go on regardless of the county team. If a lad picks up a knock in the process, that's life. Im as big a Waterford fan as any but I would free up the weekend before an intercounty championship fixture from club games but anymore than that is just ott for an amateur sport

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I'd only agree with calling off club games when it comes to the all Ireland quarter final stage. At this time of year when its not knockout we should be playing club games and if a few injuries occur then we have plenty on the bench who can come in and try and nail down a spot for themselves. If Tom Devine or Brian O Halloran have to come in to the forward line from the start or if Conor Gleeson or Shane McNulty have to come into the backline from the start then so be it. I for one would like to see how these players cope before we get to the knockout stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blaamain

carter10 wrote: »
    A game between the 04 team and the present team.Who would win and why?
    Present team I think - we are now the exact kind of team the 04 boys would struggle most against.

Interesting to look at match-ups between key players though.

Tony B v Tadgh
    Ken v Austin
    Mullane v Bennett
    Flynner v Pauric
    Dan v Maurice

5 genuine all time greats of Waterford hurling from the 04 team but the 16 team by no means outclassed....

Blaamain wrote: »
    carter10 wrote: »
    A game between the 04 team and the present team.Who would win and why?
    Present team I think - we are now the exact kind of team the 04 boys would struggle most against.

Tony B v Tadgh
    Ken v Austin
    Mullane v Bennett
    Flynner v Pauric
    Dan v Maurice

5 genuine all time greats of Waterford hurling from the 04 team but the 16 team by no means outclassed....
    And Brick Walsh vs........ Brick Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Tony B v Tadgh
    Ken v Austin
    Mullane v Bennett
    Flynner v Pauric
    Dan v Maurice

at this stage of the game id say,Tony B ,more consistent at his age,Ken/Aussie 50/50 (that saying something)considering Ken played minor,U21 and Senior in the same year,Mullane hands down ,although would love to see Bennett actually play a forward role ,their is only one Paul Flynn (case closed )Maurice slightly ahead at the same stage as Dan (hurler of the year,****ing legend )

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Tony B v Tadgh
    Ken v Austin
    Mullane v Bennett
    Flynner v Pauric
    Dan v Maurice

at this stage of the game id say,Tony B ,more consistent at his age,Ken/Aussie 50/50 (that saying something)considering Ken played minor,U21 and Senior in the same year,Mullane hands down ,although would love to see Bennett actually play a forward role ,their is only one Paul Flynn (case closed )Maurice slightly ahead at the same stage as Dan (hurler of the year,****ing legend )

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

http://www.the42.ie/jackie-tyrrell-kilkenny-4-2827685-Jun2016/

Jackie Tyrrell with a very fair and balanced interview on the whole sweeper debate. Basically saying that while Kilkenny don't and very likely will never use one particular player as a sweeper, different players throughout the game retreat at different times to help in defence. A good example of this in the Dublin game was Mick Fennelly in the last 10 minutes winning one or two balls in front of Joe Holden and not giving Dublin a sniff of a goal. I would say that having a set sweeper would be much easier to perfect rather than one player at any one time taking it upon himself to go back when he sees his defenders are isolated. That takes alot of experience to get right which Kilkenny have in bucket loads getting to and winning so many all ireland finals. That experience is now Kilkennys biggest advantage over Waterford and its an advantage that should not be underestimated.

Looking forward to the Limerick/Tipp game at the weekend and was wondering what team do ye want Waterford to meet in the Munster final? Personally, i want a Munster final rematch with Tipp. It would be a good barometer of the progress we've made if any. A loss would only refocus the minds and tighten up any weakness that Tipp expose and a win would give this group a massive confidence boost. It feels like Limericks backs are against the wall in this one and against Tipp they should come out fighting. The result will likely depend on which Tipp turn up.

Jackie Tyrrell with a very fair and balanced interview on the whole sweeper debate. Basically saying that while Kilkenny don't and very likely will never use one particular player as a sweeper, different players throughout the game retreat at different times to help in defence. A good example of this in the Dublin game was Mick Fennelly in the last 10 minutes winning one or two balls in front of Joe Holden and not giving Dublin a sniff of a goal. I would say that having a set sweeper would be much easier to perfect rather than one player at any one time taking it upon himself to go back when he sees his defenders are isolated. That takes alot of experience to get right which Kilkenny have in bucket loads getting and winning so many all ireland finals. That experience is now Kilkennys biggest advantage over Waterford and its an advantage that should not be underestimated.

Looking forward to the Limerick/Tipp game at the weekend and was wondering what team do ye want Waterford to meet in the Munster final? Personally, i want a Munster final rematch with Tipp. It would be a good barometer of the progress we've made if any. A loss would only refocus the minds and tighten up any weakness that Tipp expose and a win would give this group a massive confidence boost. It feels like Limericks backs are against the wall in this one and against Tipp they should come out fighting. The result will likely depend on which Tipp turn up.

Don't really have a preference. I expect Tipp to prevail but if Limerick do overcome that Tipp team it will mean they are a serious outfit aswell. Hard to judge Limerick with so many new starters, they looked poor in the league and struggled with the sweeper system, so its easy to see why most people are backing Tipp. Unless TJ Ryan has cracked the magic formula to turn it around since then but Id have my doubts to be honest.

Yea Jackie talks a lot of sense in that article, but I wouldn't be buoyed by KK saying they will never succumb to the sweeper system. They haven't lost a championship game (yet) since the sweeper system came in so why would they change. They have their ways and means of counter-acting it but it shouldn't deter us from sticking with it. Each county to their own and I firmly believe that no one operates this system as good as we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Hard to say anything other than a Tipp win. Limerick fans confidence is at an all time low. Very similar to a 2014 Waterford.

I know in the lead up to the Cork game that year confidence was at an all time low and we still should have beaten them but ultimately the fears came to pass that year. They were well beaten last year, don't see a huge improvement likely.

• Advertisement

Hard to say anything other than a Tipp win. Limerick fans confidence is at an all time low. Very similar to a 2014 Waterford.

I know in the lead up to the Cork game that year confidence was at an all time low and we still should have beaten them but ultimately the fears came to pass that year. They were well beaten last year, don't see a huge improvement likely.
    Its rare to see so many young championship debutants in one team. It reminds me of 1999 when Cork handed 8 or 9 lads their championship debut against Waterford in a Munster semi final, they were coming off an exceptional u21 and minor bunch. Guys like Mickey O'Connell, Rock O'Sullivan and Joe Deane.They blew us away that day. Can't see that happening on Sunday. It took us a year or 2 to integrate the youth into our team. It will take Limerick a similar timeframe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Jackie Tyrrell with a very fair and balanced interview on the whole sweeper debate. Basically saying that while Kilkenny don't and very likely will never use one particular player as a sweeper, different players throughout the game retreat at different times to help in defence. A good example of this in the Dublin game was Mick Fennelly in the last 10 minutes winning one or two balls in front of Joe Holden and not giving Dublin a sniff of a goal. I would say that having a set sweeper would be much easier to perfect rather than one player at any one time taking it upon himself to go back when he sees his defenders are isolated. That takes alot of experience to get right which Kilkenny have in bucket loads getting to and winning so many all ireland finals. That experience is now Kilkennys biggest advantage over Waterford and its an advantage that should not be underestimated.

That's really funny. He's basically saying "no, I can't see us every playing a sweeper. With us, Larkin might track back from corner forward, the half forwards might pick up the midfielders and that allows the midfielders to go back to defence."

It is a little different that they mightn't play with a designated sweeper, but the effect is the same - avoid 1 on 1 situations in defence, have a spare man there to be an outlet for the defenders to pass to when under pressure. And even with pretty much every team playing at most 5 full time forwards, they still want more than 6 defenders back.

There's nothing wrong with this obviously. It's the most effective way to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

robopaddy2 wrote: »

Its rare to see so many young championship debutants in one team. It reminds me of 1999 when Cork handed 8 or 9 lads their championship debut against Waterford in a Munster semi final, they were coming off an exceptional u21 and minor bunch. Guys like Mickey O'Connell, Rock O'Sullivan and Joe Deane.They blew us away that day. Can't see that happening on Sunday. It took us a year or 2 to integrate the youth into our team. It will take Limerick a similar timeframe at least.

Cork didn't actually blow us away that day. That game really showed how bad Gerald McCarthy was at managing games from the sideline. Fergal Hartley, who was playing in midfield, broke his finger at the throw-in and could hardly grip his hurley but was left on the field for ages. Tony Browne, the other midfielder, had an ankle injury and should never have started. McCarthy made a big mistake playing him in the first round game against Limerick instead of allowing the injury to recover. That left Waterford with no midfield essentially. I remember screaming down from the stand to the sideline to make a change there, but it didn't happen until it was too late. With nobody effectively marking him, Mickey O'Connell had a field day. He got an All Star for that game alone and held his place on the team for years afterwards although I don't remember him having another good game for Cork. Even then, Waterford were coming back strong late in the game and had the gap down to three or four points when the referee gave a terrible free against Stephen Frampton when it should have gone the other way. This handed the initiative back to Cork. I think they won by around five points at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Anyone have news on D. Fives, Colin and Aussie re injuries? I heard Darragh has a quad tear but nothing confirmed officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Anyone have news on D. Fives, Colin and Aussie re injuries? I heard Darragh has a quad tear but nothing confirmed officially.

http://www.wlrfm.com/sport/local/70582-waterford-selector-hopeful-player-injuries-will-clear-before-munster-final.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is it just me or is the Munster championship very drawn out this year? Like, more than usual?
    We played Clare two weeks ago and not out again for another three weeks. Seems like Tipp beat Cork ages ago.

Could they not have played Tipp v Cork last Sunday (12th), Waterford v Clare today (19th), Tipp/Cork v Limerick the following weekend (26th) and then Munster final on 10th July? I suppose in the event of a replay it makes things messy but maybe it should be done such that there are none and extra time be played (and a winner decided) on the day. Would at least give the clubs a few more weekends to play off fixtures.

It just feels like the buzz of beating Clare is long gone, things have gone quiet and probably won't pick up again until the week of the Munster final.

Best of luck to the footballers today against Leitrim. Very winnable game

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the Munster championship very drawn out this year? Like, more than usual?
    We played Clare two weeks ago and not out again for another three weeks. Seems like Tipp beat Cork ages ago.

Could they not have played Tipp v Cork last Sunday (12th), Waterford v Clare today (19th), Tipp/Cork v Limerick the following weekend (26th) and then Munster final on 10th July? I suppose in the event of a replay it makes things messy but maybe it should be done such that there are none and extra time be played (and a winner decided) on the day. Would at least give the clubs a few more weekends to play off fixtures.

It just feels like the buzz of beating Clare is long gone, things have gone quiet and probably won't pick up again until the week of the Munster final.
    The provincial championships are dying a slow death and the hurling championship as a whole need restructuring. The provincial championships are out-dated and dragged out unnecessarily. Having a Munster and Leinster championship is just a convenient way of splitting the early stages of the championship in 2 groups at this stage. The Leinster Championship is very lob-sided, only 3 teams with realistic hopes of winning it and one of them is from Connacht! Time for the powers that be to bite the bullet and scrap the provincial championship. Its a decision people are afraid to take because it wouldn't be be a popular one, but its for the benefit of the game for future generations.

The best way for hurling would be a champions league style format, 12 team competition, drawn from 2 groups of 6. Top 2 through to semis, 2nd and 3rd into 2 quarters. Bottom 2 from each group play a relegation play off and the winners of nthe Christy Ring promoted. Play the entire championship off in June, July, August. No need to drag things out and free up the rest of the year for the clubs.

Theres only one team with a realistic chance of winning Leinster with about 16 years. 3 teams is giving it far more credit than it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Theres only one team with a realistic chance of winning Leinster with about 16 years. 3 teams is giving it far more credit than it deserves.

There has been 3 different winners of Leinster in the last 4 years in fairness. Its not as certain to go to KK as it was previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Best of luck to the footballers today against Leitrim. Very winnable game

Good luck indeed. Only the hardy will be in attendance for that today. The glamour side of the championship it ain't.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Good luck indeed. Only the hardy will be in attendance for that today. The glamour side of the championship it ain't.

Wlr not doing it and can't find a radio station from leitrim.

Score at the min 0-4-0-2 too leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

It's on shannonside

5-2 leitrim now

KevIRL wrote: »
    There has been 3 different winners of Leinster in the last 4 years in fairness. Its not as certain to go to KK as it was previously

This will be there 3rd in a row. We can manipulate it anyway we want but it is very weak, I stand by what I said.

Kilkenny are going to get a bit weaker themselves and they were outstanding but I can only see two teams in it this year that could be competitive later in the year and the jury is out on Galway.

Save Galway, there hasn't been a team outside of Kilkenny from Leinster in an all ireland final since 2000. And when you look at the u21 championship, and the fact that Galway don't compete in Leinster and that only one u21 team outside of Kilkenny has won it (Wexford in 65) from Leinster in 52 years tells you all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Letrim 12 points to 5 up with 65 mins played.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    The provincial championships are dying a slow death and the hurling championship as a whole need restructuring. The provincial championships are out-dated and dragged out unnecessarily. Having a Munster and Leinster championship is just a convenient way of splitting the early stages of the championship in 2 groups at this stage. The Leinster Championship is very lob-sided, only 3 teams with realistic hopes of winning it and one of them is from Connacht! Time for the powers that be to bite the bullet and scrap the provincial championship. Its a decision people are afraid to take because it wouldn't be be a popular one, but its for the benefit of the game for future generations.

The best way for hurling would be a champions league style format, 12 team competition, drawn from 2 groups of 6. Top 2 through to semis, 2nd and 3rd into 2 quarters. Bottom 2 from each group play a relegation play off and the winners of nthe Christy Ring promoted. Play the entire championship off in June, July, August. No need to drag things out and free up the rest of the year for the clubs.

Yeah......Champions League format with all teams playing sweepers, that would about do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Tipp down to 14 after 14 mins into the game, Bubbles again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Tipp down to 14 after 14 mins into the game, Bubbles again

Is that him out of the Munster final if Tipp win?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Is that him out of the Munster final if Tipp win?

??? You watching no? 100%, a straight red card and a minimum one game suspension

• Advertisement

??? You watching no? 100%, a straight red card and a minimum one game suspension

Let's hope you're as intelligent in real life to justify that sarcasm!!

Let's hope you're as intelligent in real life to justify that sarcasm!!

Not sarcasm just surprised at the question, did you think it was two yellows or something?

Not sarcasm just surprised at the question, did you think it was two yellows or something?

No, but the precedent the Gaa have set in overturning suspensions doesn't mean it's 100%

No, but the precedent the Gaa have set in overturning suspensions doesn't mean it's 100%

Well in that case nobody can answer that technically until the middle of the week.

But having seen that, theres little doubt he's getting at least one game. And given Brian O Sullivan got two a couple of years ago, think it would be only right that he gets a two game suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Are suspensions time based or match based now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Limerick are awful. awful game of hurling.
    Tip have had no test yet in 2 championship games. They are coasting today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

3-12 is a terrible return no way we would have conceded at least 2 of those goals. Tipp are relying on Callanan imo keep him quite and you beat Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

Right so it's Tipp who even allowing for the fact Limerick are a hapless bunch , did play well and am sure will put it up to us as you would expect . As long as we bring our A game it's there to be won , but we will have to fight like dogs and with equal skill to boot .

Ah thought Limerick were going to snatch it, clock went against them

We should ask to play it in Limerick. It may be a pain in the hole to get to and from but playing in thurles gives Tipperary a huge advantage as seen last year. Forget about this 'thurles is like our second home' stuff it's our opponents home ground

There were home wins in the last 3 Munster finals, the last neutral final was 2012 in Cork between us and tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Is there any reason why Waterford and Clare couldn't have played the U21 game in the 5 week gap between the senior Semi Final and Munster final? Playing it 3 days after the Munster final seems very harsh. Players spoke of the effect it had on them last year playing it so soon after losing to Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

Limerick were poor - didn't know what to do with spare man. Tipp's greater stickwork very evident in wet conditions.

Rumour has it that we're off to Limerick for Munster Final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

5948ai wrote: »
    Limerick were poor - didn't know what to do with spare man. Tipp's greater stickwork very evident in wet conditions.

Think Waterford at full strength will turn them over no matter where it's played

If a vote was on...I'd vote thurles....Limerick has worse memories for Waterford than croke park nearly

Be nice to shut tipp up....the bitterness after the league match where Waterford came out on top in close match....to them dismissing Waterford beating Clare as that being wayerfirds big win for the year

They've won nowhere near enough to back up that arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Gleeson fives and Dunford all training in lismore mid week

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

5948ai wrote:

Munster council tweeted a while ago saying 4 o clock Sunday 10th and venue to be decided in the next few days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Feck going to Thurles why should Tipp get an advantage, seriously give over with the extra travel stuff, we want to win why would or should we give Tipp home advantage again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

n why would or should we give Tipp home advantage again.

50k in the pocket for the cobo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Feck going to Thurles why should Tipp get an advantage, seriously give over with the extra travel stuff, we want to win why would or should we give Tipp home advantage again.

Pfft...we had the measure Of them last year and we've to my eyes improved since

It's only an advantage if their mentally weak and IMO this Waterford team isn't...,tipp tried upset them last year by forcing them to warm up in front of tipp terrace

Waterford to their credit (management in particular) shrugged it off as nothing and made no deal of it.

Twould be worth winning two munsters to beat them on their home pitch

Either way....il be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Think Waterford at full strength will turn them over no matter where it's played

If a vote was on...I'd vote thurles....Limerick has worse memories for Waterford than croke park nearly

Be nice to shut tipp up....the bitterness after the league match where Waterford came out on top in close match....to them dismissing Waterford beating Clare as that being wayerfirds big win for the year

They've won nowhere near enough to back up that arrogance

Lol the irony in all of this

Limerick co board have already requested this game so I think it's limerick we're going to.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Are suspensions time based or match based now?

Match based now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement