Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

When will we know officially where the Munster final is on ??
    Looking like Gaelic ground in Limerick ...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

skaface wrote: »
    When will we know officially where the Munster final is on ??
    Looking like Gaelic ground in Limerick ...

Final will be in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cul beag wrote: »
    Final will be in Limerick.
    offically announced ???

Lower capacity maybe an issue but anyone who wants a ticket will get one imo.

tickets prob on sale late next week or after the Munster minor semi finals

would love if we got to the minor final too. (playing weds 29th against Limerick in Walsh Park in that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    offically announced ???

Lower capacity maybe an issue but anyone who wants a ticket will get one imo.

tickets prob on sale late next week or after the Munster minor semi finals

would love if we got to the minor final too. (playing weds 29th against Limerick in Walsh Park in that)

Afaik thurles capacity has been reduced in recent year for safety concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Fcuking hate us playing in Limerick. Makes no sense to drive through Thurles (where we love playing ) to go to shagging Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

After Tipps first day out everyone was saying how terrible Cork were and now everyone is saying how terrible Limerick were after today (to be fair they were both terrible)
    But obviously it is also down to how good Tipp are - they have absolutely strolled through munster so far, they also have a very impressive manager.

They are a serious outfit - and time will tell if we can be a match for them - if we are... we are in for a long summer

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

JesusRef wrote: »
    After Tipps first day out everyone was saying how terrible Cork were and now everyone is saying how terrible Limerick were after today (to be fair they were both terrible)
    But obviously it is also down to how good Tipp are - they have absolutely strolled through munster so far, they also have a very impressive manager.

They are a serious outfit - and time will tell if we can be a match for them - if we are... we are in for a long summer

Bubbles is a huge loss for them. They are there for the taking especially with our format,Callanan won't have the same space to work in. Rest of there forward line isn't anything to write home about so expect a tactical battle but one we can come out on top in.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Watching the Sunday Game and the Letrim qualifier match, our fullback had last years kit on. Are we not meant to be spendin a bomb on the footballers, ywt we can't come up with a full set of jerseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

cul beag wrote:
    Bubbles is a huge loss for them. They are there for the taking especially with our format,Callanan won't have the same space to work in. Rest of there forward line isn't anything to write home about so expect a tactical battle but one we can come out on top in.

Don't think Tipp will be too concerned about winning Munster. There was 5 weeks between Munster final and AI semi final last and combine that with the fact that they were playing only their third game really cost them v Galway. Mick Ryan in his first year as manager might like to deliver some silverware but then again he might just be able to see a bigger picture.
    Similarly do ye want a 5 or 6 week break if ye win Munster?
    A seriously poisoned chalice that one if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Would it not be wiser to play the game in Thurles in a pitch familiar to Waterford and a good hunting ground over the years. Limerick is a difficult place to get to and can be heavy going on a wet day. Tipp are well familiar with Limreick. They will feel more at home there than Waterford.

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Watching the Sunday Game and the Letrim qualifier match, our fullback had last years kit on. Are we not meant to be spendin a bomb on the footballers, ywt we can't come up with a full set of jerseys?

Joke how can they not afford a jersey there's loads made up and on sale in shops etc, must of ran out of stitches or something in azzuri lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

3-12 is a terrible return no way we would have conceded at least 2 of those goals. Tipp are relying on Callanan imo keep him quite and you beat Tipp.

If you consider they played almost the entire game with 14 men and still won its no mean achievement. Scorelines don't matter games are there to be won at the end of the day. If you want to believe that about Callanan, and that Tipp will be as poor in the Munster final go ahead, that's exactly what they'll want us to think.

Deskjockey wrote: »

Fcuking hate us playing in Limerick. Makes no sense to drive through Thurles (where we love playing ) to go to shagging Limerick
    What Limerick are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    What Limerick are you going to?

He'd be going the Waterford city Kilkenny Thurles Limerick city route avoiding the congestion other way.

Makes no sense playing in Limerick, Tipp love playing there and are more familiar to the Gaelic grounds than Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

He'd be going the Waterford city Kilkenny Thurles Limerick city route avoiding the congestion other way.

Makes no sense playing in Limerick, Tipp love playing there and are more familiar to the Gaelic grounds than Waterford.

As opposed to being more familiar to
    Semple Stadium?

I'm not sure we've been given the opportunity to decide on the venue even. That may have been a one off thing. I'd imagine Limerick wouldn't have been too happy about that last year, maybe they were told the next time those 2 teams meet in a Munster final it'll be in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

The game should be played in Thurles, simple as. A pitch is a pitch, it shouldn't matter if it is in Limerick ir Thurles. More Waterford people will travel if the game is in Thurles. I can't understand this idea that Limerick should be guaranteed a game just to fill the Gaelic Grounds. It's white elephant that stadium and it's ridiculous the amount of money pumped into it over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

What's the ridiculous amount of money put into the Gaelic Grounds in the last few years? Id love to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Lads, get over it.

What in essence it means is that you'll have to get out of bed an hour earlier.

We shouldn't be handing home advantage to Tipp considering it's such a big game. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Lads, get over it.

We shouldn't be handing home advantage to Tipp considering it's such a big game. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

true

That 'Deise Hurling banter page' mod on facebook is up in arms over the game possibly being played in Limerick. Saying the game should be in Thurles

Although pubs and all that seem further away in Limerick than Thurles it will be nice to go to a different ground for a change. Sure if we lose we will be back in Thurles for the QF on the 24th July (and if Tipp lose the final the argument of a home QF will come up again with them due to be played in Thurles)

Anyway ill be there wherever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

We would be insane to give them home advantage again. We've played Tipp a heap of times in Thurles and our record against them there is terrible.

It's handier for the fans, but playing in Thurles is worth a few points to Tipp.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    We would be insane to give them home advantage again. We've played Tipp a heap of times in Thurles and our record against them there is terrible.

It's handier for the fans, but playing in Thurles is worth a few points to Tipp.

I just hope we don't say 'ah sure we beat them in the league there dis year, the monkeys off our back' league and championship are a different ball game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Here's a post I wrote last year before the Munster final.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96005430&postcount=475

So our record is slightly better there now, but for anyone that thinks that home advantage means nothing because we like playing in Thurles, consider that we've played Tipp 24 times there in league and championship and have won just 3. We have won more matches against Tipp in the 6 we played in neutral venues in the noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I'll travel no matter where its on but in terms of venues i do prefer Thurles. I do wonder why a final would be played in Limerick though when theres Hawk Eye in Thurles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Since 2011, Waterford have played 12 Championship matches in Thurles, Tipp have played 9 in the same time-frame, I don't know where the idea that it gives Tipp an unfair advantage comes from to be honest.

danganabu wrote: »
    Since 2011, Waterford have played 12 Championship matches in Thurles, Tipp have played 9 in the same time-frame, I don't know where the idea that it gives Tipp an unfair advantage comes from to be honest.

They train in thurles and are very hard to beat there

Even the Dublin footballers don't train in Croke Park and they are given home advantage almost all the time in championship

Munster finals in non neutral venues in recent years
    2009- Tipperary vs Waterford- thurles- Tipperary
    2013- Limerick vs Cork- Gaelic Grounds Limerick- Limerick
    2014- Cork vs Limerick- PUC Cork- Cork
    2015- Tipperary vs Waterford- Thurles- Tipperary
    Not good reading for the travelling team

2006 was the only time In recent years where an away team beat the home team in a Munster final (Cork beat Tipperary in Thurles)

Hopefully the venue will be announced today

They train in thurles and are very hard to beat there

Tipp train in Dr Morris park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Play it in Limerick!!

Tipp have already played both championship games in thurles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

con89 wrote: »
    Play it in Limerick!!

Tipp have already played both championship games in thurles!!

We've played 4 games in a row in Thurles, 5 this year. I would say that's as many or more than Tipp have this year.

Don't see it as an advantage myself, I don't think we would have beaten them in Limerick if we played them last year. Wouldn't be using it as an excuse this year either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Lads, get over it.

Last big match Waterford played in Limerick (league final 04) took over two hours to get to tipp town

Stayed in Galway the night they played Clare there in 08 over this

The Limerick-tipp town/cahir road is by far and away the worst most narrow windy national road left in the country

(I go to Limerick 3-4 times a year visiting friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Waternut wrote: »
    The game should be played in Thurles, simple as. A pitch is a pitch, it shouldn't matter if it is in Limerick ir Thurles. More Waterford people will travel if the game is in Thurles. I can't understand this idea that Limerick should be guaranteed a game just to fill the Gaelic Grounds. It's white elephant that stadium and it's ridiculous the amount of money pumped into it over the last number of years.
    at least it will see a championship match ,unlike those two horrendous excuses for a Gaa Ground ,Fraher field /Walsh Park

John Fogarty in the Examiner tweeted John Mullane views from last year and this year on the venue, last year it was "final must be played in Thurles, Derek McGrath cant show any weakness" this years article starts with "The Munster final cannot be played in Thurles"

Got to love John, loved him as a hurler but some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious.

were all forgetting about Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney. That could very well host the match on the 10th but its very doubtful as there hosting the Football final a week earlier

When will they put us out of our misery and announce where its on and we can start planning our day

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

The Limerick-tipp town/cahir road is by far and away the worst most narrow windy national road left in the country

Go Tipp Town - Cashel - Clonmel or Tipp Town - Dundrum - Cashel - Clonmel (not much further). Cashel the same distance from Tipp as Cahir and is basically only 5 minutes further from Clonmel as Cahir is. Travel it a fair bit when I need to be in Clonmel for work. There's a way around Tipp town if you take a left just after Limerick junction too.
    Tipp town is a horrible town to travel through on a normal day. Would love to see it in Limerick. 40000 mix of fans. Be a great day for the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gaelic Grounds confirmed on Munster GAA twitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

danganabu wrote: »
    John Fogarty in the Examiner tweeted John Mullane views from last year and this year on the venue, last year it was "final must be played in Thurles, Derek McGrath cant show any weakness" this years article starts with "The Munster final cannot be played in Thurles"

Got to love John, loved him as a hurler but some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious.

In fairness, that's not what he said. He said "it will be played in Limerick". The Waterford management took the view that they could compete in Thurles last year, I wonder were they as keen to go back there themselves this year.

Personally think we've as much chance in Thurles as anywhere and prefer going there.

Gaelic Grounds confirmed on Munster GAA twitter

It will be a change anyway

Prob go for the uncovered stand I imagine tickets will be hard to get for the covered stand

Remember it was a very hot day back in 2008 when Clare beat us there in the Munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I love the way you always have to have the negative comment PTH, "it was a very hot day when Clare beat us there in the Munster Championship...do you look for someone to call you up on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully we get a Big following from Waterford
    the next day.. It's a Munster final after all..
    We know Limerick is a pain.to get to compared
    to Thurles.. However nobody will even remember how long it.takes us to get home if
    we Win.. Onwards.and upwards..
    Up the Deise :-)

Cry me a bloody river. Weve nothing to be complaining about. I remember the days getting to a Munster Final was but a distant dream. Its probably a complete once off that this will be in Limerick as when the new 'Pairc de Frank' opens up in Cork it will be the neutral venue for Tipp v Waterford again. Thos of us abroad will do what we can to get there, but people saying there not going because they were stuck going through Tipp town last time is pitiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

The lads will have to do the hard work on the field, the least we can do is sit in our cars and put the time in on the road to support them .

When we win it will be the happiest journey home back through Tipp

UP THE DEISE
    eyes on the prize

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Cry me a bloody river. Weve nothing to be complaining about. I remember the days getting to a Munster Final was but a distant dream. Its probably a complete once off that this will be in Limerick as when the new 'Pairc de Frank' opens up in Cork it will be the neutral venue for Tipp v Waterford again. Thos of us abroad will do what we can to get there, but people saying there not going because they were stuck going through Tipp town last time is pitiful

Others talked about how long extra it will take them to get to Limerick city and fair enough but your the first person on here to say you weren't going

Others talked about how long extra it will take them to get to Limerick city and fair enough but your the first person on here to say you weren't going

No I didn't. I said I hope to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Would going up the motorways be a good way of getting to Limerick? Google Maps says it's 60km longer than going along the N24 but takes only ten minutes longer, and that's before you consider the matchday traffic through Tipp town et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

deiseach wrote: »
    Would going up the motorways be a good way of getting to Limerick? Google Maps says it's 60km longer than going along the N24 but takes only ten minutes longer, and that's before you consider the matchday traffic through Tipp town et al.

What route is this deiseach?

It will be a change anyway

Prob go for the uncovered stand I imagine tickets will be hard to get for the covered stand

Remember it was a very hot day back in 2008 when Clare beat us there in the Munster championship

Uncovered Stand is 100% the better option, the covered stand is a terrible terrible stand and there is no good view from it, would prefer the terrace that the covered stand in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HangBlaa

Waterford City - Kilkenny - Durrow - Borris-in-ossory - Limerick

About 2hr 10

KevIRL wrote: »
    What route is this deiseach?

waterford-to-limerick-e1466503039213.png

Problem with that route is you end up coming in the same road as all the North Tipp traffic and from Castleconnel to the Gaelic Grounds will take an eternity. If you come that route the best thing is to come off the motorway at Birdhill and take the back road in to Limerick via Parteen, you come out at Hassett's cross beside Thomond Park.

Good to see the universality of "don't go through X, the smart people go through Y" advice in the GAA.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement