Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tickets on sale starting 12pm on Mon 27th June on tickets.ie

Does anyone knw what way the seat numbers go in the Gaelic grounds ??? Have to try and get a seat on the outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tickets on sale starting 12pm on Mon 27th June on tickets.ie

Does anyone knw what way the seat numbers go in the Gaelic grounds ??? Have to try and get a seat on the outside

Which is Waterford terrace??
    I'm short for cash atm

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

See my post on his at the top of this page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Yeah on the Waterford News and Star they were previewing a few SFC games!

Lads has DJ Foran been called up to the Senior team? Surely deserves another crack after his last few games for club and the county intermediates. Why did he and Harney get dropped off the panel at the end of last season? Harney is another one I'd have time for, hopefully they get a good run with the u21s

As far as I'm aware both were invited to rejoin the panel when began training back in late 2015 but both opted out. Harney may have trained for some stage before pulling out. It doesn't seem to have done DJ any harm at all anyway. Doesn't seem to be a closed panel as such so would imagine he was extended an invitation to train with the panel again alright. I'd be amazed if he wasn't. Hopefully he can have an impact on the U21 this year.

On the topic of U21 are people expecting success this year? Between our rather large volume of U21's training with the seniors and playing Clare 3 days after the Munster final I wouldn't be so sure. We Aussie, Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran who will start the Munster final in all likelihood. Then there's Tom Devine, Stephen Bennett, Conor Gleeson who could all see action from the bench. Add to that fellas like Mikey Kearney, Colm Roche, Andy Molumby who are training with the seniors and probably not very accessible to U21 management.
    Not to forget the fact that the minor team also lost 2 games along the way as well as drawing one in winning the all Ireland. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see us not come out of Munster.
    Stephen Bennett is unfortunately not at the same high level as he was in 2013 just yet. Kevin Daly has done another cruciate. Cian Leamy is recovering from a broken leg. Has Gavin Power played in goal since that year? Billy Nolan being ineligible could be a huge blow.
    Thankfully we have talented players from other minor teams, Conor Prunty could possibly go in full back, Darragh Lyons could play anywhere in the backs or midfield. Andy Molumby could break into the team too. Jordan Henley another who'll be in and around the team, maybe even in goals possibly.
    Have they had any challenge game yet with the senior U21's involved?

If I was to hazard a guess at it I'd expect the team to be along the lines of:

Power

Hahessy
    Prunty
    Lyons

Conor Gleeson
    Aussie
    Harney

Mark O'Brien
    Mikey Kearney

Shane Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Tom Devine

Colm Roche
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran

Andy Molumby, Cormac Curran, Jordan Henley any of those 3 could dislodge someone there. The forward line does look very potent but it might be necessary to strengthen the full back line maybe by rejigging the team a little.

Have I any glaring omissions?

There are guys on the senior panel who probably wont even start for the u21s that's how strong we are at this grade this year. But not holding my breath for success. We fail to deliver at this level every year with some really strong teams in the past. With so many lads involved in the senior panel its hard to see how they have done any meaningful preparation as a group. And the game being 3 days after the Munster final its a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I take it Kieran Bennett and Shane McNulty are overage? This is the team that won the AI minor three years ago so it'll be interesting to see if this group has pushed on since then.

The game v Clare could go wither way, if we win the Munster senior final the U21 lads should go into the game on a high but lose the Munster final and it's tough to pick yourself back up a few days later for another big game. For the first time in a good few years with our u21's, I'll actually go into this game not really expecting a win.

Any word on the minors? They're out next Wednesday at home to Limerick. Would be great to have them in on the big day with the seniors. A potential chance to get one back over on Cork who beat us in the first round too.

Gaelic-Grounds.jpg

Cake Man wrote: »
    I take it Kieran Bennett and Shane McNulty are overage? This is the team that won the AI minor three years ago so it'll be interesting to see if this group has pushed on since then.

The game v Clare could go wither way, if we win the Munster senior final the U21 lads should go into the game on a high but lose the Munster final and it's tough to pick yourself back up a few days later for another big game. For the first time in a good few years with our u21's, I'll actually go into this game not really expecting a win.

Any word on the minors? They're out next Wednesday at home to Limerick. Would be great to have them in on the big day with the seniors. A potential chance to get one back over on Cork who beat us in the first round too.

in the under 21 the munster winners will face the Ulster champions in the All Ireland semi finals with Galway vs Dublin (presuming they beat Offaly in the Leinster final) in the other Semi. brillent chance of getting to the All Ireland final if we can win Munster. Clare who may not be as good as previous years will still be a very tough challenge and will want to get revenge on us over the senior win

The minor has a similar draw with the losing Munster Finalists playing the Ulster Champions in the All Ireland Quarter finals while the Leinster runners up play Galway in the other QF. getting through a munster minor final will give us a good chance of playing in Croke Park this year. Dublin vs Wexford is the leinster final BTW. Limerick who beat Clare in the 1st round back in april are supposbly very strong and made up of a lot of Ard Scoil Ris players who won the harty cup this year

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

in the under 21 the munster winners will face the Ulster champions in the All Ireland semi finals with Galway vs Dublin (presuming they beat Offaly in the Leinster final) in the other Semi. brillent chance of getting to the All Ireland final if we can win Munster. Clare who may not be as good as previous years will still be a very tough challenge and will want to get revenge on us over the senior win

The minor has a similar draw with the losing Munster Finalists playing the Ulster Champions in the All Ireland Quarter finals while the Leinster runners up play Galway in the other QF. getting through a munster minor final will give us a good chance of playing in Croke Park this year. Dublin vs Wexford is the leinster final BTW. Limerick who beat Clare in the 1st round back in april are supposbly very strong and made up of a lot of Ard Scoil Ris players who won the harty cup this year

My fear with the U21 is we will come up against Limerick or Tipp, both of which beat this team at minor level. I don't know how many of Limericks all Ireland winning U21 side are underage this year but I have no doubt they would be a formidable challenge!
    So getting out of Munster could prove hugely tricky.

Shane McNulty, Kieran Bennett, Tadhg de Burca and Colin Dunford all overage from last years team, while Billy Nolan is ineligible as he is too young under the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Gaelic-Grounds.jpg
    allocated seating i presume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

There's nobody on the senior panel that won't start for the u21s. Not a chance.

• Advertisement

My fear with the U21 is we will come up against Limerick or Tipp, both of which beat this team at minor level. I don't know how many of Limericks all Ireland winning U21 side are underage this year but I have no doubt they would be a formidable challenge!
    So getting out of Munster could prove hugely tricky.

Shane McNulty, Kieran Bennett, Tadhg de Burca and Colin Dunford all overage from last years team, while Billy Nolan is ineligible as he is too young under the new rules.

Think there's 12 or something ridiculous from last year playing for Limerick's starting team this year. The worry for them though is that the senior setup is inctedibly poor, and a lot of them are involved in that this year. Woukd be better off under the stewardship of the 21s management Id say.

Cake Man wrote: »

The minor has a similar draw with the losing Munster Finalists playing the Ulster Champions in the All Ireland Quarter finals while the Leinster runners up play Galway in the other QF. getting through a munster minor final will give us a good chance of playing in Croke Park this year. Dublin vs Wexford is the leinster final BTW. Limerick who beat Clare in the 1st round back in april are supposbly very strong and made up of a lot of Ard Scoil Ris players who won the harty cup this ye
    Antrim actually have a really good minor team coming. Wouldn't even be looking down that route in terms of losing. Just get behind the minor lads Wednesday night and let what happens after happen

Just someof the forwards the u21s have to pick from,

Shane Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Tom Devine
    Colm Roche
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran
    Andy Molumby,
    Mark O'Brien
    Mikey Kearney

All part of, or have been part of the senior setup this year. Not considering some lads not on the senior panel who will be looking for a spot; Peter Hogan, Cormac Curran. Sure not all have to play in the forwards but 9 Into 6 doesn't go. There will be huge competition for places

Just some of the forwards the u21s have to pick from,

Shane Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Tom Devine
    Colm Roche
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran
    Andy Molumby,
    Mark O'Brien
    Mikey Kearney

All part of, or have been part of the senior setup this year. Not considering some lads not on the senior panel who will be close to a starting spot; Peter Hogan, Cormac Curran, Shane Ryan. Sure not all have to play in the forwards but 11 Into 6 doesn't go. That's assuming the likes of Austin Gleeson, Harney and Conor Gleeson aren't deployed as forwards. There will be huge competition for places

Obviously they won't be. They will be shifting it around to make room. Harney will be doing well to start anywhere other than corner back Id say. Molumby might not start, he's the only one I think you might be right on. The rest will all start.

Obviously they won't be. They will be shifting it around to make room. Harney will be doing well to start anywhere other than corner back Id say. Molumby might not start, he's the only one I think you might be right on. The rest will all start.

Don't think Harney has ever played corner back for Waterford. Would imagine he is likely to feature as a wing back.
    As for your assertation that no senior panellist will be on the bench for the U21's; Mikey Kearney was a sub for the game against Cork last year despite having been on the senior panel all year. So it certainly can happen.

Don't think Harney has ever played corner back for Waterford. Would imagine he is likely to feature as a wing back.
    As for your assertation that no senior panellist will be on the bench for the U21's; Mikey Kearney was a sub for the game against Cork last year despite having been on the senior panel all year. So it certainly can happen.

There was 14 lads on the Senior panel though last year, is it 10 this year? Might be totally wrong but did he get injured not long before that game?

There was 14 lads on the Senior panel though last year, is it 10 this year? Might be totally wrong but did he get injured not long before that game?

No no injury at the time as it was a little surprising at the time. He did start against Clare the next day and I'd be pretty confident he'll start this year but there will be some big decisions to be made like that. Molumby could lose out, or Mark O'Brien who is also training with seniors. Hard to call without having any idea where they see certain players playing. I'd be amazed if Aussie and Conor Gleeson weren't in the backs. They'll be vital in protecting what could be a weak full back line potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Welcome to the Waterford GAA discussion thread.

Is it only Marty og and Austin Flynn left from 59 team?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

If Molumby loses out we must have some team !!!!! I wonder will Jack Fagan be back from injury, looks a cert to start by the way he was going with the seniors before his mishap, some prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If Molumby loses out we must have some team !!!!! I wonder will Jack Fagan be back from injury, looks a cert to start by the way he was going with the seniors before his mishap, some prospect.

Molumby is U21 for another 2 years after this campaign and i wouldnt see him lighting up the sky at all. I'd actuslly be disappointed to see him start he's nowhere near this level yet same apllies to Darragh Lyons. Potential yes but more lads ahead of them this year U21.

Molumby is U21 for another 2 years after this campaign and i wouldnt see him lighting up the sky at all. I'd actuslly be disappointed to see him start he's nowhere near this level yet same apllies to Darragh Lyons. Potential yes but more lads ahead of them this year U21.

Fagan is one I had totally forgotten about. What sort of injury has he?
    In fairness didn't Darragh Lyons start last year? Or was it the year previous, I can't be certain. He wouldn't be out of place at corner back at all I don't think. Molumby has turned in some very good performances for Cappoquin in the club championship, something that's not always that easy to do when training so much without seeing game time. Whether that would translate to decent performance for U21's I don't know. He could play midfield with Kearney if Mark O'Brien dropped to wing back with maybe Gleeson going into the full line to strengthen it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Yes, Molumby is loads good enough and has to play a part if we are to be successful. He was an outstanding minor, often going unnoticed, he is a
    like Jamie Barron, just minus a bit of the Fourmilewater's man skill, but then again that is a bit unfair as Barron is in line for an All Star this year as he is surely the best midfielder in the country at present.

After the shenanagins re the hold up on Jack Fagan's transfer [some people must be burying their heads wherever they can now over their objections] it is great to see the impact he has made in such a short time. He has won over everybody with his application. Such a shame injury intervened but he is making rapid progress now I believe and could be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Yes, Molumby is loads good enough and has to play a part if we are to be successful. He was an outstanding minor, often going unnoticed, he is a
    like Jamie Barron, just minus a bit of the Fourmilewater's man skill, but then again that is a bit unfair as Barron is in line for an All Star this year as he is surely the best midfielder in the country at present.

After the shenanagins re the hold up on Jack Fagan's transfer [some people must be burying their heads wherever they can now over their objections] it is great to see the impact he has made in such a short time. He has won over everybody with his application. Such a shame injury intervened but he is making rapid progress now I believe and could be ready.

Not doubting the lads potential but he was certainly not an outstanding minor, the club pulled out of the minor A after 2 maybe 3 games he was always in the shadow of Aaron Sullivan & Eoghan Murray. He done Okay for the county minor team for the two years he was involved.
    He has potential but what i am sayin is he shouldn't be starting in our U21 team given what forwards we have at our disposal.

He has another 2 yrs after this year to play u21 so lets not build him up to something hes not yet ready to be,
    we seem to do that with a lot of young lads.

Munster senior hurling final page now gone off tickets.ie suppose to be onsale at 11.30 Monday morning ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

thesultan wrote: »

Mick Flan and Larry Guinan, maybe more (thankfully).

Munster senior hurling final page now gone off tickets.ie suppose to be onsale at 11.30 Monday morning ????

I wonder if they're waiting for results of minor semis.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

DeiseDawg wrote:
    I wonder if they're waiting for results of minor semis.

Munster council probably hoping Cork and limerick get to the minor final which will bump up the attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Few points lads,first I,d love to have the problem of travelling to a Munster final,second I couldn't blame any Waterford person for complaining the match is on in Lim as the rd is shocking(by the way I,d park as close to city centre as possible and walk to the grounds once you cross the river its about a 15 min walk to the grounds)if you are to drive take the tunnel take the first exit after going thru that,ll bring you towards na piarsaigh's ground and approx ten min walk.third I think ye,ll beat them and also hope ye do

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Think there's 12 or something ridiculous from last year playing for Limerick's starting team this year. The worry for them though is that the senior setup is inctedibly poor, and a lot of them are involved in that this year. Woukd be better off under the stewardship of the 21s management Id say.

This yrs Limerick u21 team will be down 4 of last yrs all irl winning team the whole half back line d Byrnes Barry o Connell gearoid Hegarty and the goalie Mc carthy but hopefully we,ll have ample back up in players that weren't strong or old enough last yr.
    Not excusing our terrible terrible performance v tipp last week but our current senior management team wouldn't lace the boots of our 21s management or at least that,s what we are comforting ourselves with. We,r playing cork this tue evening and it,s live on tg4

Our minors aren't great this yr struggled at home v Clare in a poor match I have no idea what way Waterford are so anything could happen.

Another note on the Gaelic grounds go to the uncovered stand for me it's the best stand in the country hopefully it will be a dry day.

• Advertisement

Munster council probably hoping Cork and limerick get to the minor final which will bump up the attendance

possibly

prob go on sale Friday 1st July

Dont think it will sell out as people will be cribben about the venue (as the limerick poster siad himself and fans from 4 other counties would love to be driving to a munster final)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:
    Dont think it will sell out as people will be cribben about the venue (as the limerick poster siad himself and fans from 4 other counties would love to be driving to a munster final)

Not a hope of it selling out . 10 thousand from Waterford and maybe 15 from tipp I'd say

DeiseDawg wrote: »

Mickey O'Connor (Cappoquoin)

Mickey O'Connor (Cappoquin)

Mickey O'Connor (Cappoquin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

No sign of tickets available online yet, am I correct?
    checked tickets.ie and don't see them. Just checking in case they're on a different site!

What will be best stand to go for?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Question regarding Mick flannelly. Was he born in Waterford? It's his father who was a Galway man?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Working in Dublin & I don't plan on going home before the munster final....planning on getting a train to limerick from heuston

Anyway of getting tickets up here? Websites etc

Munster Final tickets online now at tickets.ie

Keep refreshing to get better tickets

First was offered 214 in the open stand and refreshed a few times and got offered 219 row C (half way line)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

Waterford have been allocated the City End terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Mackey stand row F are they front or rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Worse they're getting for me by refreshing!! Don't know whether to just bite or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Or just goole map it

Google maps will check live traffic and reroute you if there are blockages in towns by finding the quickest route even if longer. It's a lifesaver use it all the time in Dublin particularly good for Friday evening traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Worse they're getting for me by refreshing!! Don't know whether to just bite or not.

I am refreshing here and the tickets have remained the same as originally offered ie pure muck in sections 101 and 115 on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 24 meathhurler48

con89 wrote: »
    Working in Dublin & I don't plan on going home before the munster final....planning on getting a train to limerick from heuston

Anyway of getting tickets up here? Websites etc

Join the Waterford GAA Supportesd Club Dublin. Always sure of a ticket. Follow us on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The integrated senior and under-21 setup in Westmeath hurling this year provides a template which, if adopted by Waterford, would surely have generated several Munster titles and perhaps one or two All-Ireland titles over the last 10-15 years. Most years, Waterford have had an under-21 panel which, in terms of potential, should have been serious contenders for championship honours. However, year after year, these panels have simply not delivered on this potential.

The problems are familiar enough – poor managers/coaches and a complete absence of any interaction between the under-21 and senior management setups, and in particular no support for the under-21s from senior management, with no intervention from the county board to counteract this problem.

In Westmeath this year, the manager of the under-21 team is a selector on the senior team while Michael Ryan, manager of the senior team, was a selector on the under-21 team. Both panels trained together (helped by the fact that there was a high level of overlap between the two). They had a common hurling coach in Michael Walsh of Kilkenny. They also had a common backroom team including performance coach, strength and conditioning coach and physiotherapists.

Essentially, therefore, the Westmeath under-21 team was being used as a development squad for the senior team, learning the same tactics and game plans as the seniors as well as developing their skills and physical fitness to a high level. The benefits of this were seen in their breakthrough victory over Kilkenny this year and they also put it up to Dublin in Parnell Park in the Leisnter semi-final.

The high level of overlap between under-21s and seniors in Waterford in recent years has meant that the under-21 management have had little access to their seniors either for collective training or for challenge matches. Would it not make a lot more sense to integrate the two as is the case in Westmeath? The senior management should look at the under-21 grade as a development resource and not a nuisance, as is the case at the moment. Success at the under-21 grade surely provides all sorts of benefits for senior players in terms of development of experience and confidence. Good and all as Limerick were, if last year’s Waterford under-21 team had been properly prepared, they would surely have won the All-Ireland.

I am also of the view that there is a lack of top-level coaching experience in the Waterford setup, and the idea of bringing in a hurling coach with experience of playing with, or coaching, All-Ireland winning teams would strengthen the ticket, especially at under-21 level.

IanVW wrote: »
    Mackey stand row F are they front or rear

Terrace tickets only available on tickets.ie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.the42.ie/limerick-minor-waterford-2850565-Jun2016/

Limerick and Waterford unveil sides for Munster minor hurling semi-final

• Advertisement

Question regarding Mick flannelly. Was he born in Waterford? It's his father who was a Galway man?

Yes Mick himself was born and reared in Waterford. His parents were west of Ireland people. His father was Matt a famous Galway footballer in the early part of the century, and even captained them to an All Ireland. They moved to Morrison's Road Waterford and his 5 sons went onto play for Mount Sion.

A lovely piece on Mick here back in 2013. He was captain of the minors in 48, the last Waterford team to win it before 13'.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/micks-proud-memories-of-48-242277.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement