Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Cake Man wrote: »
    Disappointing about the minor result, it shows how much of a strange championship it can be when we lose to Cork, beat Tipp and Tipp beat Cork. Definaely at least shows were all around the same level anyway.

Not sure if finances really affect our minors too much, our AI winning team would've been 13/14 in 2009 when the recession was at its worst but I suppose it probably didn't get much better until recently so it's an interesting point to speculate if younger lads missing out on more coaching and development has impacted on us and is coming home to roost now.
    Agree with a previous poster tho that said were probably in for a few barren years at minor as our underage teams haven't been great the last few years.

any word on those supposed challenge games we played this week, someone mentioned one against Dublin?

Cork beat us by 4pts in a high scoring challenge match last week according to Denis Walsh on Newstalks preview of the hurling Qualifiersvthis weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Well done to the camogie team - who despite being on their 3rd management set up this year - are acquitting themselves very well this year in the top grade.

With the hurling know how in the county now surely these girls deserve a proper set up from the start next year - it is a serious disadvantage competing with best if you are chopping and changing managers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Westneath batting ahead against limerick this could be a big upset in the making

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

JesusRef why have they changed managers so much this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any news on Dara Fives ???

Love to see Galway win today and then us winning next weekend

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    JesusRef why have they changed managers so much this season?

Initially down to ill health and subsequently it is difficult to get a new set-up to stand in and give the time required at the last moment.

The men that stood in did so for the good of Waterford camogie - so I am not being critical.

I am just saying for next year we should aim as high as we can with the appointment - with camogie teams from Waterford now nearly all playing at the top grades it's time to establish ourselves as one of the top camogie counties - which I believe is on the horizon.

By the way in my 1st 18 years I witnessed Waterford winning 2 games - I would have travelled to the moon to see them in the munster final... thankfully that desire to follow the team has never left me but it sounds like some posters around here are a bit spoiled!!

Kilkenny the team to beat this year again but we're up with prob the 2nd best team in the country Tipperary next week

The last 4 Munster finals vs Tipperary have ended in defeat for us, hopefully they end that hoodoo next Sunday

I trust the lads and our management are going to give it everything next week. Win/lose out year is not over but a Munster win would be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Kilkenny the team to beat this year again but we're up with prob the 2nd best team in the country Tipperary next week

The last 4 Munster finals vs Tipperary have ended in defeat for us, hopefully they end that hoodoo next Sunday

I trust the lads and our management are going to give it everything next week. Win/lose out year is not over but a Munster win would be huge

Waterford win by 4-5pts next Sunday. Don't say you weren't told!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would it really be a disaster to lose next Sunday? Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to get another Munster and beat Tipp (we badly owe them one in championship, especially in a Munster final having lost the last 4 I think?) but it would mean another 5 or 6 week break until the semi final which has never served us well. A quarter final v Limerick or Cork would represent an opportunity to get back on track (not sure we could meet Clare again in QF?)

I suppose the benefit of winning is it would then send Tipp on a collision course with KK and likely semi final opponents would be Galway, Limerick, Clare or Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Would it really be a disaster to lose next Sunday? Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to get another Munster and beat Tipp (we badly owe them one in championship, especially in a Munster final having lost the last 4 I think?) but it would mean another 5 or 6 week break until the semi final which has never served us well. A quarter final v Limerick or Cork would represent an opportunity to get back on track (not sure we could meet Clare again in QF?)

I suppose the benefit of winning is it would then send Tipp on a collision course with KK and likely semi final opponents would be Galway, Limerick, Clare or Cork.
    Munster finals are there to be won and as you say weve lost enough of them. The motivation for these players going into this game should be to win a Munster medal, nothing else. If your mind is occupied by other counties and what their doing, avoiding this team or that team then your beaten before you go out on the field.

A big few days with the Munster senior final and the U21s out 4 days later. It will be hard for the lads in both to get themselves focused on the u21 game, win lose or draw. I agree losing the senior final wouldn't be 'a disaster'. But a defeat in both could be a big setback for the season.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Munster finals are there to be won and as you say weve lost enough of them. The motivation for these players going into this game should be to win a Munster medal, nothing else. If your mind is occupied by other counties and what their doing, avoiding this team or that team then your beaten before you go out on the field.

A big few days with the Munster senior final and the U21s out 4 days later. It will be hard for the lads in both to get themselves focused on the u21 game, win lose or draw. I agree losing the senior final wouldn't be 'a disaster'. But a defeat in both could be a big setback for the season.
    Yeah definitely, it would be horrible to lose both. I remember 2 years ago when Wexford knocked us out and a few days later I think it was Clare then beat us in the U21, it was an awful few days. You kind of had a bad feeling even going into the U21 game as everyone was on a low after being knocked out of the senior championship.

Not getting ahead of ourselves by any means and I agree regarding the lads being only focussed on Sunday and no further. The championship is entering the business end now and taking shape. By next Sunday, there will only be 6 teams left so it's just interesting to speculate who will face who come the knock out stages.

Yeah definitely, it would be horrible to lose both. I remember 2 years ago when Wexford knocked us out and a few days later I think it was Clare then beat us in the U21, it was an awful few days. You kind of had a bad feeling even going into the U21 game as everyone was on a low after being knocked out of the senior championship.

Not getting ahead of ourselves by any means and I agree regarding the lads being only focussed on Sunday and no further. The championship is entering the business end now and taking shape. By next Sunday, there will only be 6 teams left so it's just interesting to speculate who will face who come the knock out stages.

Yea of course its really taking shape now. Tomorrows draw for the qualifiers will be interesting. Everyone will hope to draw Wexford with due respect to them. And Clare will be the team everyone will fear coming through the back door. If we lose Munster we will probably be paired opposite them in the quarters, but win there is every chance we could meet them again in the semi's. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of them this year. What can you say about Kilkenny were ridiculously good again yesterday

Yea of course its really taking shape now. Tomorrows draw for the qualifiers will be interesting. Everyone will hope to draw Wexford with due respect to them. And Clare will be the team everyone will fear coming through the back door. If we lose Munster we will probably be paired opposite them in the quarters, but win there is every chance we could meet them again in the semi's. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of them this year. What can you say about Kilkenny were ridiculously good again yesterday
    Didn't see the KK game, only saw the result and match report but it seems they were able to step it up a gear or two when needed and pulled away. Although that basically describes nearly 90% of KK games the last few years. Not that it's KK fault, it's a bit disheartening seeing them just swat aside what many would consider one of the top teams in the country. Apart from Galway, I think most would probably consider Tipp to be the only team left to stop KK, with ourselves and Clare to a lesser extent capable of doing so. Seems more and more ominous though that KK will walk to another relatively straightforward AI.

Didn't see the KK game, only saw the result and match report but it seems they were able to step it up a gear or two when needed and pulled away. Although that basically describes nearly 90% of KK games the last few years. Not that it's KK fault, it's a bit disheartening seeing them just swat aside what many would consider one of the top teams in the country. Apart from Galway, I think most would probably consider Tipp to be the only team left to stop KK, with ourselves and Clare to a lesser extent capable of doing so. Seems more and more ominous though that KK will walk to another relatively straightforward AI.
    Yea its scary stuff alright. Although Galway are pretty fickle imo, as we seen in last years all Ireland Final aswell. Have the talent but not the b***s. Everyone has been waiting for KK to slip, given that they've not really been dominant at underage for a good few years. Then they go and bring in the likes Johnjo Farrell, first championship season at 28/29 years of age. Waiting for his chance with years, comes in and is probably in line for an Allstar already. As much as I want to believe we can be the ones to take them down, being brutally honest I can't see anyone beating them again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

We have to beat Tipp to stand any chance of going toe to toe with Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

thesultan wrote: »
    We have to beat Tipp to stand any chance of going toe to toe with Kilkenny.

And beating Tipp will send them on same side with KK, if Tipp get through quarter final they playing the Cats, and hopefully send the Cats packing.

STIG83 wrote: »
    And beating Tipp will send them on same side with KK, if Tipp get through quarter final they playing the Cats, and hopefully send the Cats packing.

Clare and Wexford win the qualifiers

We win Munster

Qf (draw in this case) Tipperary vs Wexford & Galway vs Clare. Tipperary and Clare winners

As provincal finals can't be repeated in the all Ireland semis than its. Kilkenny vs Tipperary & Waterford vs Clare

We can meet Clare again

If we lose Munster than its a qf with Wexford or. Cork most likely (given Clare beat Limerick which is expected.

There's a Draw if it's Limerick who beat Clare and we lose Munster. WE CANT PlAY GALWAY In the QFs

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Clare and Wexford win the qualifiers

We win Munster

Qf (draw in this case) Tipperary vs Wexford & Galway vs Clare. Tipperary and Clare winners

As provincal finals can't be repeated in the all Ireland semis than its. Kilkenny vs Tipperary & Waterford vs Clare

We can meet Clare again

If we lose Munster than its a qf with Wexford or. Cork most likely (given Clare beat Limerick which is expected.

There's a Draw if it's Limerick who beat Clare and we lose Munster. WE CANT PlAY GALWAY In the QFs

So if we lose munster and assuming Clare beat Limerick we cant play Clare again so play Cork or wexford?

IanVW wrote: »
    So if we lose munster and assuming Clare beat Limerick we cant play Clare again so play Cork or wexford?

QF will be against Wexford or Cork (owe both these teams a beating in knock out hurling). Kilkenny will be semi opponents if we get through the QF.

A Limerick win next weekend could mean a draw for QF pairings if were involved

Bowl 1- Waterford, Galway
    Bowl 2- Limerick, Cork or Wexford

Please please please dont be a drawn match in the munster final as we will be out on Sat 16 or Sun 17 July for the replay and possibly the next sunday for the All Ireland QF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

QF will be against Wexford or Cork (owe both these teams a beating in knock out hurling). Kilkenny will be semi opponents if we get through the QF.

A Limerick win next weekend could mean a draw for QF pairings if were involved

Bowl 1- Waterford, Galway
    Bowl 2- Limerick, Cork or Wexford

Please please please dont be a drawn match in the munster final as we will be out on Sat 16 or Sun 17 July for the replay and possibly the next sunday for the All Ireland QF

Waterford won't be playing in any quarter finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If Waterford beat Tipp, every chance Clare play Tipp in quarter final.

Yeah if Cork win and Tipperary lose to us.

I wonder what would happen if it's Cork and Limerick who win the qualifiers and Galway/Tipperary are the prov losing finalists. Tipperary have played both Cork and Limerick already ???

Hopefully we will be all sitting at home with a few bottles watching the quarter finals lol

Likely/Best Case scenario

Assuming both games go as expected on Saturday, Clare and Cork to win. Then we obviously need to concentrate on winning Sunday. Hopefully that would put Tipp, KK and Clare all on the opposite side of the draw to bate the living s***e out of each other. Then leave us with a very winnable AI semi to look forward to. (I wouldn't fear Cork or Galway).

Likely/Best Case scenario

Assuming both games go as expected on Saturday, Clare and Cork to win. Then we obviously need to concentrate on winning Sunday. Hopefully that would put Tipp, KK and Clare all on the opposite side of the draw to bate the living s***e out of each other. Then leave us with a very winnable AI semi to look forward to. (I wouldn't fear Cork or Galway).
    Exactly, that would be the dream to win Sunday and have Tipp, KK and Clare all battle it out on the same side which would most definitely mean Cork or Galway in an AI semi final for us. The 5/6 week break wouldn't be ideal (especially then having to play in Croke Park) but I'd very happily take that if offered right now.

However, in that scenario the only thing that would give me cause for not getting too far ahead is that the last time we had a "handy" AI semi final was 07 v Limerick and we all know how that went!

Even if we were to lose Sunday, we'd still fancy our chances in a QF against Cork/Limerick/Wexford but then the inevitable showdown v KK in an AI semi. Simply put, we'd really be making life a lot easier by winning Sunday.

Exactly, that would be the dream to win Sunday and have Tipp, KK and Clare all battle it out on the same side which would most definitely mean Cork or Galway in an AI semi final for us. The 5/6 week break wouldn't be ideal (especially then having to play in Croke Park) but I'd very happily take that if offered right now.

However, in that scenario the only thing that would give me cause for not getting too far ahead is that the last time we had a "handy" AI semi final was 07 v Limerick and we all know how that went!

Even if we were to lose Sunday, we'd still fancy our chances in a QF against Cork/Limerick/Wexford but then the inevitable showdown v KK in an AI semi. Simply put, we'd really be making life a lot easier by winning Sunday.
    Don't mention the war! Christ I was depressed for weeks after that. But that year our excuse was that we had to play 3 weeks on the trot, every other year it was the 5 week break. Truth be told even when we has a 2 week break from the quarter finals we haven't been good enough in semi finals either. The direct route is the best route, no excuses. If its no problem for KK it should be no problem for anyone else.

Yeah it was awful, I'll put my hand up and admit I was one who felt we just had to turn up. Was on the way to the game thinking of what it was going to be like in an AI final!

That was an odd year all the same, they introduced the rule that provincial winners only got to the quarter final and not the usual semi final place which typically had to happen one of the few years we won Munster! It was to be our demise in the end anyway.

Yeah I agree, the best way is through the front door. 5/6 weeks would still allow a few rounds of club games to at least keep the players sharp. If we're then good enough to take the likes of Galway, Cork etc. then so be it. All down to Sunday though, that result is going to shape our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

We'll know on Sunday if Waterford can deal with a 5/6 week break as its been that long since the Clare game. If we do win on Sunday i wouldn't be too worried about that break, i think having a strong panel of players with plenty of competition for places is the best way to combat the long layoff.

Looking ahead for Sunday if Darragh Fives isn't fit enough to play id like to see someone like Conor Gleeson start rather than say dropping back Moran or Austin Gleeson into the half backline. We seem to have plenty of forwards to come in but we don't see any backs get a chance although Conor Gleeson did come off the bench in the league final and acquitted himself well even if it was only the last 10 minutes.

I know the team might be stronger dropping Moran back and say starting Devine, Dillon, O Halloran etc but i'd love to see another defender come in and put pressure on our regular 6 backs who have done very little wrong so far this year.

Hopefully though Darragh fives will be fit to play as he's the Rolls Royce of Waterfords backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word of how training is going in the camp?

Just watched the full all Ireland semi last year again and Dunford had a serious second half.

Is Stephen Bennet back to full fitness yet and if so would he be anywhere near starting or a first choice sub?
    With the likes of Devine and O Halloran I'd be interested to know the pecking order.

Counting down the days til Sunday

Yeah it was awful, I'll put my hand up and admit I was one who felt we just had to turn up. Was on the way to the game thinking of what it was going to be like in an AI final!

That was an odd year all the same, they introduced the rule that provincial winners only got to the quarter final and not the usual semi final place which typically had to happen one of the few years we won Munster! It was to be our demise in the end anyway.
    I think 07 was actually the last year of the '4 quarter final' structure which had also been tried for the 2 years previous. And the qualifiers were played via a league system. It was a ludicrous system when you think of it, completely undermined the provincial championships.

I was very nervous going to that semi v Limerick. Had a bad feeling about it being honest, given our luck in previous semi finals. Many of the players never really recovered from it in many ways. 2008 was all a bit of a fluke getting to the AI if you ask me. Anyway, all water under the bridge now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

It's a bit pointless speculating about the QF - SF permutations at this point. I'm sure Brian Cody wasn't fretting about it prior to last Sunday.

Bubbles is a big loss to Tipp but could be cancelled out if D. Fives is unavailable. Having Pauric Mahony back is a huge plus (he is to W'ford what TJ Reid is to Kilkenny). In addition, the likes of Gleeson, Bennett and Curran have another year's hurling under their belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I think the "curse of winning Munster" or whatever is actually to do with a team peaking. You can only keep up an intensity for so long in a year and the teams that win Munster often do so at full pelt. Coming down from that intensity and back up again for the semi and final is extremely difficult. When tipp have been knocked out of Munster in recent years they've generally looked very flat. 2010 obviously the best example then they built up nicely to end up winning the final. Whereas look at them in 2011 and last year - they looked brilliant in the Munster final and weren't able to maintain that for the semis. I actually think we were similar last year. We were at our best in the Munster final and had run out of steam a bit by the time we met Kilkenny. Which was understandable - we'd gone all out to win promotion.

Looking at Leinster - I've never seen Kilkenny peaking before August. They always look like they're tipping along nicely until then.

I think this year is a bit different for us and tipp though. I don't get the impression both teams are thinking about August / September and that Sunday is a step along the way rather than what they've been dreaming of since the end f last year.

blue note wrote: »
    I think the "curse of winning Munster" or whatever is actually to do with a team peaking. You can only keep up an intensity for so long in a year and the teams that win Munster often do so at full pelt. Coming down from that intensity and back up again for the semi and final is extremely difficult. When tipp have been knocked out of Munster in recent years they've generally looked very flat. 2010 obviously the best example then they built up nicely to end up winning the final. Whereas look at them in 2011 and last year - they looked brilliant in the Munster final and weren't able to maintain that for the semis. I actually think we were similar last year. We were at our best in the Munster final and had run out of steam a bit by the time we met Kilkenny. Which was understandable - we'd gone all out to win promotion.

Looking at Leinster - I've never seen Kilkenny peaking before August. They always look like they're tipping along nicely until then.

I think this year is a bit different for us and tipp though. I don't get the impression both teams are thinking about August / September and that Sunday is a step along the way rather than what they've been dreaming of since the end f last year.

The heartbreak of the late league final replay defeat is another motivating factor for us. We should never of lost that and the team don't want to be disappointed/embarrassed like that again. Seems like an age now since that defeat

Leinster is a non event most years and it's become a chore for kilkenny (and Dublin football) captains to go up and collect the cup. The joy of 2012/13 when Galway/Dublin won it

2005 was the last time a Munster winner won the all Ireland (cork)

If there was an open draw would Kilkenny be as strong as the path to September would be very different ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think 07 was actually the last year of the '4 quarter final' structure which had also been tried for the 2 years previous. And the qualifiers were played via a league system. It was a ludicrous system when you think of it, completely undermined the provincial championships.

I was very nervous going to that semi v Limerick. Had a bad feeling about it being honest, given our luck in previous semi finals. Many of the players never really recovered from it in many ways. 2008 was all a bit of a fluke getting to the AI if you ask me. Anyway, all water under the bridge now.

I remember well the Monaghan fans around me shouting for Limerick that day. Never really like to see them win since.

It's a big if beating Tipp on Sunday but if we do then an All Ireland semi final against Galway is a real 50/50 game. No way would I be putting Waterford as favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I think I would fear Galway more than any other team in a knockout game right now (excluding KK of course who are in an AI semi final). Their eyes are on an AI and nothing less. They will know they can compete with KK and after Ger Loughnanes comments and self imposed pressure from the Anthony Cunningham debacle will be buoyed for the next round. They will be a very dangerous proposition. I would prefer to play Cork or Clare in a quarter than Galway. Remember the result could have literally being a Cillian Buckley swing of a hurley from being different.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I think I would fear Galway more than any other team in a knockout game right now (excluding KK of course who are in an AI semi final). Their eyes are on an AI and nothing less. They will know they can compete with KK and after Ger Loughnanes comments and self imposed pressure from the Anthony Cunningham debacle will be buoyed for the next round. They will be a very dangerous proposition. I would prefer to play Cork or Clare in a quarter than Galway. Remember the result could have literally being a Cillian Buckley swing of a hurley from being different.

Galway have never beaten us in the championship and owe us a beating. If we were to play them at some stage this year Waterford people will be getting ahead of themselves given our championship record over them and think we just have to turn up.

Wexford are another team I hate playing in the championship, they seem to up there game whenever they play us (we scraped a win against them in 2008 remember Damien Fitzhenry put a penalty over the bar instead of scoring a goal which could of won the game fur them that day). They beat us in 2003 and 2014. If they were better at scoring last April in the league QF they would of won the game handy

Wexford seem to struggle in Thurles for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Not sure if it's been mentioned already haven't been keeping up witj the posts but Callinan hasn't trained all week for tipp. Struggling with an injury. Prob will start according to a few tipp people I know but mightn't be 100%.

Deise189 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already haven't been keeping up witj the posts but Callinan hasn't trained all week for tipp. Struggling with an injury. Prob will start according to a few tipp people I know but mightn't be 100%.

He's struggling with the injury for definite and add O Dwyer's absence to the equation we are definitely never going to get a better chance to win Munster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah, everyone's injured going into most games. I'd say he'll be grand! Probably just leaving him off training as a precaution.

• Advertisement

I have heard he is a major doubt. Why risk playing him when it could make or break your season if he is marked absent for an AI Qtr/semi final. It would be a major gamble by Tipp management to play him and could backfire later on in the year when we need him most. Munster Finals are fantastic to win but August is when the championship really takes on a different life.

I think Waterford are quite good value to win on Sunday myself. Tipp potentially missing 2 best forwards in Bubbles and Callinan (or if he plays a half fit Callinan). I would make Waterford marginal favourites. Thats how much Callinan matters to Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I

I would make Waterford marginal favourites.

I wonder what Whiplash has been smoking...:rolleyes:

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I wonder what Whiplash has been smoking...:rolleyes:

Well Jeff Tipp are 11/10 (-2) in PP at the minute. If you take out a teams free taker and main scoring threat and someone who averages in and around 4 points from play and who has scored 22 goals in 34 championship games (including those as substitute) well then that is why I would have Waterford slight favourites. Shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.

If Wales were missing Gareth Bale or Portugal were missing Cristiano Ronaldo for their respective teams or they had to come off injured tomorrow night that would cause the line to shift with the bookmakers odds. The only reason I use that analogy is because Callinan is Tipps Marque Forward and match winner. Only for him against Galway last year Galway would have won by 10 points.

The smart money is on Waterford.

Well Jeff Tipp are 11/10 (-2) in PP at the minute. If you take out a teams free taker and main scoring threat and someone who averages in and around 4 points from play and who has scored 22 goals in 34 championship games (including those as substitute) well then that is why I would have Waterford slight favourites. Shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.

If Wales were missing Gareth Bale or Portugal were missing Cristiano Ronaldo for their respective teams or they had to come off injured tomorrow night that would cause the line to shift with the bookmakers odds. The only reason I use that analogy is because Callinan is Tipps Marque Forward and match winner. Only for him against Galway last year Galway would have won by 10 points.

The smart money is on Waterford.

Waterford at 11/8 is a great price and one I've taken some of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If Callanan doesn't play or plays half fit we simply have to win this game, we've had a bad record in Munster Finals recently and after the league final defeat it would be very bad for confidence to loose another final, I think if we are to win the AI this year we must go through the front door, loosing the Munster final even if we win the QF we're in the exact same position as last year playing KK in the SF, we need to show progress from last year, the Clare game was a great confidence boost but now we have to show we are the real deal and back it up with a victory over Tipp, especially if it's a Tipp missing two vital players. I slightly fancy us for Sunday by 2-3 points think the lads have come on a good bit in the year and with Tipp missing Bubbles and not having a 100% fit Callanan but it will be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Any word of how training is going in the camp?

Just watched the full all Ireland semi last year again and Dunford had a serious second half.

Is Stephen Bennet back to full fitness yet and if so would he be anywhere near starting or a first choice sub?
    With the likes of Devine and O Halloran I'd be interested to know the pecking order.

Counting down the days til Sunday
    unfortunately the game was up a few minutes into the second half ,with kk getting the first two scores ,lead went from 2 to 4 points ,too much to do then ,even with 30 minutes left

• Advertisement

watch at 7.29 and see whos sitting down with a big smile on his face lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

thesultan wrote: »
    Is it only Marty og and Austin Flynn left from 59 team?

Joe Harney Ballydurn corner back

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deise10

U21 Team For Clare Game?

1 Gavin Power
    2 Willie Hassessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Darragh Lyons
    5 Micheal Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Mark O Brien
    8 Mikey Kearney
    9 Andy Moloumby
    10 Shane Bennett
    11 Stevie Bennett
    12 Tom Devine
    13 Paddy Curran
    14 Dj Foran
    15 Conor Gleeson (sweeper)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Deise10 wrote: »
    U21 Team For Clare Game?

1 Gavin Power
    2 Willie Hassessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Darragh Lyons
    5 Micheal Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Mark O Brien
    8 Mikey Kearney
    9 Andy Moloumby
    10 Shane Bennett
    11 Stevie Bennett
    12 Tom Devine
    13 Paddy Curran
    14 Dj Foran

I would expect Colm Roche (a couple of brief appearances for the senior team already this year) to be at centre forward. I wouldn’t see Darragh Lyons as a corner back – most likely to see Conor Gleeson there as that’s where he has been operating for the senior team. I doubt if this team would need a sweeper but you might find Darragh Lyons operating as third midfielder or behind the midfield. Perhaps also Jordan Henley in goal instead of Gavin Power (better option in my view). Cormac Curran should also be in the frame, probably on the wing as target for puckouts.

My team:
    1 Jordan Henley
    2 Willie Hahessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Conor Gleeson
    5 Michael Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Shane Bennett
    8 Mark O’Brien
    9 Tom Devine
    10 Mikey Kearney
    11 Colm Roche
    12 Cormac Curran
    13 Patrick Curran
    14 DJ Foran
    15 Stephen Bennett

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Deise10 wrote: »
    U21 Team For Clare Game?

1 Gavin Power
    2 Willie Hassessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Darragh Lyons
    5 Micheal Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Mark O Brien
    8 Mikey Kearney
    9 Andy Moloumby
    10 Shane Bennett
    11 Stevie Bennett
    12 Tom Devine
    13 Paddy Curran
    14 Dj Foran

I would expect Colm Roche (a couple of brief appearances for the senior team already this year) to be at centre forward. I wouldn t see Darragh Lyons as a corner back most likely to see Conor Gleeson there as that s where he has been operating for the senior team. I doubt if this team would need a sweeper but you might find Darragh Lyons operating as third midfielder or behind the midfield. Perhaps also Jordan Henley in goal instead of Gavin Power (better option in my view). Cormac Curran should also be in the frame, probably on the wing as target for puckouts.

My team:
    1 Jordan Henley
    2 Willie Hahessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Conor Gleeson
    5 Michael Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Shane Bennett
    8 Mark O Brien
    9 Tom Devine
    10 Mikey Kearney
    11 Colm Roche
    12 Cormac Curran
    13 Patrick Curran
    14 DJ Foran
    15 Stephen Bennett
    I would think Molumby is ahead of Cormac Curran given he is on the co senior panel. I'd play Foran out around the half forward line where you have Curran but other than that your team is pretty much on the money, assuming all are fit of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement