Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I would expect Colm Roche (a couple of brief appearances for the senior team already this year) to be at centre forward. I wouldn’t see Darragh Lyons as a corner back – most likely to see Conor Gleeson there as that’s where he has been operating for the senior team. I doubt if this team would need a sweeper but you might find Darragh Lyons operating as third midfielder or behind the midfield. Perhaps also Jordan Henley in goal instead of Gavin Power (better option in my view). Cormac Curran should also be in the frame, probably on the wing as target for puckouts.

My team:
    1 Jordan Henley
    2 Willie Hahessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Conor Gleeson
    5 Michael Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Shane Bennett
    8 Mark O’Brien
    9 Tom Devine
    10 Mikey Kearney
    11 Colm Roche
    12 Cormac Curran
    13 Patrick Curran
    14 DJ Foran
    15 Stephen Bennett

Roche will definitely start and I agree with you about Henley he's the lesser of two evils for goal. Power doesn't play there for his club and didn't look at all confident in there in the intermediate game versus Clare. Speaking of which Molumby was substituted at halftime in the same game having made zero impact on the game. I would expect him to start on Wens though. Don't see Cormac Curran making the first 15.
    As for Sunday we'll be selecting from a full strength squad which is great news and to be honest I can't see us being beaten. Without sounding over confident I think we'll be comfortable winners I don't see that Tipp forward line that's minus Bubbles and a struggling Callinan causing too much problems for our defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

1. Jordan Henley
    2. Willie Hahessy
    3. Conor Prunty
    4. Conor Gleeson
    5. Michael Harney
    6. Austin Gleeson
    7. Mark O'Brien
    8. Mikey Kearney
    9. Colm Roche
    10. Shane Bennett
    11. Tom Devine
    12. DJ Foran
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Stephan Bennett
    15. Andy Moloumby

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

cul beag wrote: »
    Speaking of which Molumby was substituted at halftime in the same game having made zero impact on the game. I would expect him to start on Wens though. Don't see Cormac Curran making the first 15.

He will do it if he feels like it but could turn his arse to a ball 5 yards away - questionable attitude as evidenced in the intermediate earlier in the year the U21 might not 'do it for him' now he is with the seniors - I have seen this with him at various age groups

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

What about Jack Fagan is he back from injury. Does he play in the full forward line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

JesusRef wrote: »
    Speaking of which Molumby was substituted at halftime in the same game having made zero impact on the game. I would expect him to start on Wens though. Don't see Cormac Curran making the first 15.

He will do it if he feels like it but could turn his arse to a ball 5 yards away - questionable attitude as evidenced in the intermediate earlier in the year the U21 might not 'do it for him' now he is with the seniors - I have seen this with him at various age groups
    Any manger worth his salt will either knock that out of a player or just not tolerate it. Unreal amount of talent in this particular group. any fellah with a bad attitude is easily dispensable. Never heard that about this lad myself so only speaking in a general sense.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Any manger worth his salt will either knock that out of a player or just not tolerate it. Unreal amount of talent in this particular group. any fellah with a bad attitude is easily dispensable. Never heard that about this lad myself so only speaking in a general sense.

He has a lot of ability - I would say he is up there with the best performing players in the senior Club championship this year.
    He was good enough to be a minor in 2013.

If Colm Roche popped the ball to him in the last play of normal time in the 2014 semi final we would have made a 2nd minor final in a row - he was up there with waterfords best performers on the day if not the best.

That's why he is so frustrating on the bad days - and it is not just because things are going wrong it is just from an obvious lack of effort. When you have seen what he is actually capable of

But he is young and that can be overcome.

There is one player who is now a very important player for Waterford that had a similar attitude at underage -

JesusRef wrote: »
    robopaddy2 wrote: »

He has a lot of ability - I would say he is up there with the best performing players in the senior Club championship this year.
    He was good enough to be a minor in 2013.

If Colm Roche popped the ball to him in the last play of normal time in the 2014 semi final we would have made a 2nd minor final in a row - he was up there with waterfords best performers on the day if not the best.

That's why he is so frustrating on the bad days - and it is not just because things are going wrong it is just from an obvious lack of effort. When you have seen what he is actually capable of

But he is young and that can be overcome.

There is one player who is now a very important player for Waterford that had a similar attitude at underage -
    Its been our downfall over the past 20 years. Too many fellah's with bags of ability but thought they were god almighty. The new breed of lads that have come through seem a lot more committed and grounded to be fair. There are a lot better coaching structures in the county nowadays and younglads are thought the value of team work and appreciation for one another. I can guess who you are talking about there but I believe he is an all round good lad. His attitude and commitment cannot be questioned but temperament can be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

How is Stephen Bennett since form wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Lads, how are we for injuries? Is Dara Fives ok? Is everyone else fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deise10

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I would expect Colm Roche (a couple of brief appearances for the senior team already this year) to be at centre forward. I wouldn’t see Darragh Lyons as a corner back – most likely to see Conor Gleeson there as that’s where he has been operating for the senior team. I doubt if this team would need a sweeper but you might find Darragh Lyons operating as third midfielder or behind the midfield. Perhaps also Jordan Henley in goal instead of Gavin Power (better option in my view). Cormac Curran should also be in the frame, probably on the wing as target for puckouts.

My team:
    1 Jordan Henley
    2 Willie Hahessy
    3 Conor Prunty
    4 Conor Gleeson
    5 Michael Harney
    6 Austin Gleeson
    7 Shane Bennett
    8 Mark O’Brien
    9 Tom Devine
    10 Mikey Kearney
    11 Colm Roche
    12 Cormac Curran
    13 Patrick Curran
    14 DJ Foran
    15 Stephen Bennett

Gavin Power will be on goal id say, cant see Cormac Curran or Roche starting, Shane Bennett deffiently wont be wing back, Every waterford team plays with a sweeper now, could be lyons or gleeson, young Shanagher will need to be man marked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Deise10

Theres a good preview of the Senior match here irishtipz.weebly.com/previews.html
    Dosent say anything about waterford injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

We have no injuries fives is grand.

thesultan wrote: »
    How is Stephen Bennett since form wise?
    Don't know about county but saw him play for Ballysaggart a month or 2 ago, didn't have much of an impact as they played him in full forward line with very little supply of ball going in. Think he scored a point. Shane was the man that everything went through. I think Stephen struggling for form and confidence after all his injury troubles to be honest. Hopefully he can get it back with the u21s, don't expect him to see much action on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare win the intermediate Munster title Wednesday night in extra time over Limerick. Will give them a big lift going into the u21 next Wednesday. There quietly confident of upsetting us once again in that grade.

The killer for us is the 3 day turnaround for some of the players. Like last year we could be going in on a high or a low. What happens if the Munster final is a draw Sunday ??? They will surly postpone the under 21 game (but if we lose the senior replay we have to play the quarter final on Sunday 24th Jul, under 21 Munster final due to take place on Weds 27th Jul) There caught either way

If we win Sunday there will be a huge crowd in Walsh Park on Wednesday

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Clare win the intermediate Munster title Wednesday night in extra time over Limerick. Will give them a big lift going into the u21 next Wednesday. There quietly confident of upsetting us once again in that grade.

The killer for us is the 3 day turnaround for some of the players. Like last year we could be going in on a high or a low. What happens if the Munster final is a draw Sunday ??? They will surly postpone the under 21 game (but if we lose the senior replay we have to play the quarter final on Sunday 24th Jul, under 21 Munster final due to take place on Weds 27th Jul) There caught either way

If we win Sunday there will be a huge crowd in Walsh Park on Wednesday
    What's the point spending your life worrying about other counties and what their doing. Completely pointless. Concentrate on getting behind our lads, if we perform to our ability I believe we will be celebrating 2 wins in the space of a few days next week. We have as good hurlers as any other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

some pricks AS IF Andy moloumby was being paid to play for Waterford, ignorant shower of *****, Lad doing his best , definatly no Waterford fans there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Watched last years Munster final, I had to stop watching 12 minutes into the second half, the amount of silly passes we did and wides we had in the 2nd half was ridiculous. We were depending on Maurice for scores, we had Jake, Eddie Barrett and Brick on the pitch for work rate and Colin didn't have his shooting boots on. I'd be more confident going into this game Sunday, a fully fit team, our best forward line since 2007. Brick Paudie Shane Bennett, Paddy Curran, Maurice and Aussie floating around. I think the 2 young lads Shane and Paddy will be raring to go after the Clare game, both were pretty quiet. Callanan is gonna play but they're without bubbles who could get a point out of nowhere and our backs have been excellent all year. SOK, Shane and Darragh Fives, Noelie, Barry Coughlan, Philip and Tadhg. The oldest out of them is Shane Fives who's 27/28... They're gonna have another 3/4 years together and it's gonna be pretty tough to dislodge any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I watched Tips semi against Galway in 2015 last night, jesus Callnan was on fire from play.

If Callnan brings that form Sunday he will need stopping. He's lethal in the air.
    Hopefully we can contain him like last year and if we can, we have to be there or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Some saying Calinan struggling for Sunday, others saying he'll be grand. Hard to know what is accurate but I'd be full sure he'll play. Definitely need to keep him quiet, it would go a long way to sealing victory.

Nerves starting to build a little now, can't wait for Sunday.

Watched some of last years Munster final the other day myself, we were doing really well up til about 55mins before Tipp started to pull away. Stephen Bennett and Dunford were through on goal but the former just narrowly kicked the sliotar wide of the far post and Dunfords shot was saved. Could've been a totally different second half had we taken either chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Cake Man wrote: »
    Watched some of last years Munster final the other day myself, we were doing really well up til about 55mins before Tipp started to pull away. .

Not trying to start a row here or anything, but I have to disagree, yes the scoreboard was tight up to the last 10-15 mins, but there was never a single time in that game where it looked to me as if Waterford were going to win, they played the entire game with the sole objective of not loosing, but never went about actually winning the game.

FWIW I think Waterford have most certainly improved and evolved this year and Sunday really is a flip of a coin (13/8 Waterford is massive) but last year was just a matter of when Tipp pulled away not if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have a sneaky feeling Deise will do it on Sunday, but I also think that they *have* to do it, at this stage in their evolution as a team. I don't think losing another Munster final and going thru' qualifiers will help them significantly. Equally, I don't think Tipp' will be too keen to lose and face a potentially banana-skin tie v Clare. Question is, which would Tipp/Waterford prefer more, meet KK in a semi-final or in a final? From a Galway POV, I think we'd prefer Waterford in a semi' and let the other 2 knock themselves out. (Yes, assuming we get that far.)

If Limerick and Cork win tomorrow and Tipp' lose, I presume Tipp will play Cork again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Think we should win ....if we can't back ourselves to beat tip minus odwyer....we've no right to be dreaming of playing into September

I expect it to be a fierce battle though....will tip take their scores or keep trying to work goals as they did to their cost in the league

Bring it on I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waterford would prefer to meet Kilkenny in a final, because we'd actually be in an all ireland final. Don't care who we meet if we make an AI final, and I think all Waterford people and players alike are sick of losing all ireland semi finals.

The record is 1/10 wins since 98.

Under 21 match will now throw in at 7pm on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Forecast is for light showers sunday in Limerick.

Programme on tonight at 9 on rte 2, apparently they'll be looking back on the 2002 munster final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Under 21 match will now throw in at 7pm on Wednesday

Its live tg4 wed but coverage doesn't start till 7:15....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Is John 3:7 still about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)

2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)

4. Noel Connors (Passage)

5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)

6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

18. Darragh Fives (Tourin)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)

11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)

13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)

20. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)

21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Once Darragh was named then the team was always going to be the same as the Clare match. It's definitely our best 15 . Surprising that Jason Forde isn't on the Tipp team and glad too as he is a scoring threat

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Just had another go on us at 13/8. Genuinely can't see us being beaten. Year older,year wiser,stronger panel on the day and the best 15 starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

if we win tomorrow can only get wexford or galway in semi, how bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

if we win tomorrow can only get wexford or galway in semi, how bad

You sure? Think if we win its a draw to see which qualifiers play which losing provincial finalists. Meaning its possible clare and tipp make the semi final and of course we'd have to play one of them.

Anyway, let's worry about all that after tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    You sure? Think if we win its a draw to see which qualifiers play which losing provincial finalists. Meaning its possible clare and tipp make the semi final and of course we'd have to play one of them.

Anyway, let's worry about all that after tomorrow...

repeat pairings are avoided, but if both clare and tipp make it through you're right then its an open draw

Just had another go on us at 13/8. Genuinely can't see us being beaten. Year older,year wiser,stronger panel on the day and the best 15 starting.

We have made unbelievable progress in the last 12 months - I really, really believe we can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

In 2002 I stood in the Venue pub in cork - was being goadwd by a few Tipip lads were goading me and asked what our chances were i told them we were only here to enjoy the day out - there was two cork lads nearby and asked me what did I truly believe - I told them we would ate Tipp that day and am glad to say we did - I believe rightly or wrongly (maybe the alcohol has helped) but I believe this team we have is special, very special, and I believe tomorrow we will see them start a very special journey - UP THE DEISE

repeat pairings are avoided, but if both clare and tipp make it through you're right then its an open draw

From 2008 onwards the all Ireland semi finals can not be a repeat of a provincial final

If we win 2morrow, there will be a draw for the qf pairings (Clare and Wexford bowl 1 and Galway and Tipp bowl 2). If both Tipp and Clare win there Qf then the semis will be Kilkenny vs Tipp and Waterford vs Clare.

Its simple if we lose 2morrow its one route, its Wexford in the Qfs and a possible SF with Kilkenny

Have a feeling its going to be a drawn game 2morrow and we will lose the replay and be out for the third week in a row for the Qf vs Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

From 2008 onwards the all Ireland semi finals can not be a repeat of a provincial final

If we win 2morrow, there will be a draw for the qf pairings (Clare and Wexford bowl 1 and Galway and Tipp bowl 2). If both Tipp and Clare win there Qf then the semis will be Kilkenny vs Tipp and Waterford vs Clare.

Its simple if we lose 2morrow its one route, its Wexford in the Qfs and a possible SF with Kilkenny

Have a feeling its going to be a drawn game 2morrow and we will lose the replay and be out for the third week in a row for the Qf vs Wexford

thats assuming that tipp and clare wouldnt be drawn against each other!!

best of luck tomorrow - i for one think ye will win!

A bit apprehensive ahead of the final today. Lads a win is the only option imo. Don't care who we would get in the quarters because we'd looking at another semi against the cats anyway.. A Munster final win and an AI appearance would be a successful year in my eyes. Weve already lost the last 4 Munster finals v Tipp.2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015. A 5th one would be damaging and set us up for another semi defeat against KK. I don't want these lads to end up in that old familiar cycle. Come on the deise...

A bit apprehensive ahead of the final today. Lads a win is the only option imo. Don't care who we would get in the quarters because we'd looking at another semi against the cats anyway.. A Munster final win and an AI appearance would be a successful year in my eyes. Weve already lost the last 4 Munster finals v Tipp.2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015. A 5th one would be damaging and set us up for another semi defeat against KK. I don't want these lads to end up in that old familiar cycle. Come on the deise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

I have 100% confidence in the lads today. They are a special bunch of players, they deserve this.

Come on Waterford !!!!

I have 100% confidence in the lads today. They are a special bunch of players, they deserve this.

Come on Waterford !!!!

Two more wins after today....

Think people are massively underestimating the quality of players on this team....they are more than a match for any team out there...as even on a bad/off day the workrate will bring them into games

Honestly expect to be celebrating another win today

Draw today can feel it

safe travels everyone. heading off in a while myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How's the weather looking at home lads? They're saying showers?

Ffs they still have there special olympics 2003 home team sign up in pallas green lol

Good crowd heading up so far

Big crowd even in the last half hour after arriving outside the ground

Big crowd even in the last half hour after arriving outside the ground

Parked near thomand park good crowd around

Rain staying off ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ffs they still have there special olympics 2003 home team sign up in pallas green lol

Good crowd heading up so far

You do know pallas green is in limerick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Tip team news?

Calling starts I presume?

• Advertisement

Jake for pauric

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement