Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Fair play, ye were a different class when ye got going. Hopefully ye will get a few more performance's like that and win it out now because ye definitely have the talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

While Sunday is still a very painful memory i have to say full credit to the likes of Bennett, Gleeson, Curran ect who having taken such a hammering on Sunday were able to pick themselves up and play like that second half, We have some serious talent in the county we might be still off the level of Tipp or KK but Sundays performance was no doubt a one off, we're not suddenly useless off the back of one awful display, Hopefully a big performance now against Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was shock and awe Waterford style! The Bennetts fairly ran amok second half there. Impressed by Mark O'Brien throughout.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Stephen Bennett showing just how good he can be when fit/injury free. He would cause Wexford lots of trouble. Wonder will Derek start him and who would he leave out if he did.
    Final this night 2 weeks Walsh Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

How many of the team are from the 2013 minor? I think it's nine but I may be missing someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Much nicer journey home tonight compared to Sunday, in more ways than one. Just the tonic that was needed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Did they play 3 in the ff line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I said earlier in the year I couldn't see your seniors do much. It wasn't popular.

Now for your good news: this U21 team look like champions-in-waiting to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good win much needed. There will be a serious crowd in Walsh Park in 2 weeks time for the final. Other semi between Limerick and Tipp is live on TG4 2morrow. Limerick expected to win A worry about playing Limerick is that if they are too make the final it will be there third game this year (Cork in the QF and Tipp in the SF) but Walsh Park is a hard place to come and win. Derek and Co up behind the keanes road goal keeping an eye on things. defeats in 2007 and 2009 for us hopefully its third time lucky A scoreline of tonights calibre against Wexford in the senior would be nice lol a big thanks to my upc box for missing the first 15 mins of the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great second half performance. The wind definitely had a bearing but with Clare only 2 pts ahead at half time having played with it,they were fighting an uphill battle. Great to see our talented players being left to play as such,shackles off and left have a go. Congrats to the management also on helping this happen having only got hold of the players on Monday night. Devine for all his endeavour still hasn't convinced me,his hurling is slow at times but I suppose he serves a purpose in the forwards. Stephen Bennett was class along with Curran(he has got physically stronger) and Aussie's ability is off the charts! He is like a Paul Gascoigne he could just do about anything with a sliothar! Limerick will prove a stronger outfit and it has the makings of a cracker in Walsh park. €10 entry too was nice to see aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Just goes to show these bunch of hurlers we have are up there with the best of them and if they are allowed to play can carve teams up and create goal chances.

In the short term, that win tonight will do wonders for the confidence going into the Wexford game. It wasnt a bad Clare side and we blew them away in the second half. Whoever comes out of Tipp/Limerick will be a really tough match as both teams beat us a minor 3 years ago.I would hope slightly for Tipp as we would have them at home in the Munster final. If we get over that one I'd fancy us as strong favorites to win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

When was Walsh Park confirmed for final? No venue on master fixtures list. depends where Waterford played limerick last at U21 and Tipp last at u21. If Waterford last played Tipp u21s in thurles for example then if Tipp win 2moro night its a Walsh park final...need to check previous years fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Greensoup wrote: »
    When was Walsh Park confirmed for final? No venue on master fixtures list. depends where Waterford played limerick last at U21 and Tipp last at u21. If Waterford last played Tipp u21s in thurles for example then if Tipp win 2moro night its a Walsh park final...need to check previous years fixtures.

Limerick and Tipp both owe us one AFAIK

Greensoup wrote: »

If Im not mistaken, we last played Limerick at U21 in 2008 at walsh park and they hammered us. But I could be wrong about that

It was confirmed on twitter by Waterford Sport but not sure how reliable that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Only asking because when the master fixture list hasn't any updated venue it often means the venue for final depends on who wins the other semi....it must mean that Waterford might be away to either Tipp or Limerick....i don't know which one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If it's Tipp it's at home, if Limerick it's away. We last played Limerick at home in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

WLR said we are home in Munster final and if win that play Ulster champions .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Well that was a tonic! After the crushing defeat on Sunday, I really hope this helps lift the spirits of the county and the seniors in particular. What's the story with Stephen Bennett? I thought he looked very dangerous in the second half with a high work rate which as we know Derek and the system have as a prerequisite to get on the team. Surely after the shambles on Sunday, it's worth giving him anot her shot from the start against Wexford. Worst case scenario, he's not up to it (which I doubt) and we can make a change. He has a real eye for goal and I think he'd give defences something else to worry about. Him and Maurice and Curran in near the goals would certainly give us a decent goal threat. And I think that's what we're really crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Well done to the players and management, what kind of a game would we have had tonight if Derek Mcgrath and the "system" were imposed on the U21 team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

ovalu wrote: »
    Well done to the players and management, what kind of a game would we have had tonight if Derek Mcgrath and the "system" were imposed on the U21 team?

Probably about the same to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

From the Munster gaa web site Munster u21 final if Waterford v limk it's on in limk if Waterford v tipp on in Waterford. After tonight's performance ye,ll take some stopping even if ye had to come up again to that far off place out yonder(Limerick)though would think tipp or limk would be better than Clare.

lim4ev wrote: »
    From the Munster gaa web site Munster u21 final if Waterford v limk it's on in limk if Waterford v tipp on in Waterford. After tonight's performance ye,ll take some stopping even if ye had to come up again to that far off place out yonder(Limerick)though would think tipp or limk would be better than Clare.

feck sake expecting Waterford fans to travel all the way to Limerick on a weekday after already travelling to Thurles on the sunday before.

Limerick will be very hard to beat at home and the Waterford players have bad memories of the venue (last sundays senior final defeat and losing the lead to draw the 2013 munster minor final)

not expecting Tipp to win tbh 2morrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

PTH2009 wrote: »
    feck sake expecting Waterford fans to travel all the way to Limerick on a weekday after already travelling to Thurles on the sunday before.

Limerick will be very hard to beat at home and the Waterford players have bad memories of the venue (last sundays senior final defeat and losing the lead to draw the 2013 munster minor final)

not expecting Tipp to win tbh 2morrow night

I agree it's an awful long way for either county to travel to either place for the moment we don't have to worry bout that as we,ll be doing v well to get over tipp they're on a high we,r on a low we could do with the win tomorrow night.
    Such a tough draw for limk,cork away won that then tipp away and if we were to win that have to beat Waterford .
    Anyway small steps as they say would love to have to worry bout Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

When Limerick beat Tipp handy tomorrow it will be confirmend for Walsh Park in two weeks. If by some miracle Tipp win its in Thurles and thats concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

On Munster GAA site it says if Limerick win it's in Limerick :mad: and if it's Tipp it will be in Walsh Park :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Why are people so upset that if Limerick win tonight, it'll be in Limerick? Yes I know it's not ideal (especially if we have to go back to the scene of the crime) but the last time we played Limerick at U21 (2008) we were at home so naturally the home/away agreement would dictate the next time we meet, Limerick have home advantage. I think people were initially badly misinformed and are now raging and feel somehow cheated. If Tipp win, we will definitely be at home, having last played them in Thurles in 2011 so we can probably hope for a Tipp win.

On the game, excellent second half performance to blow Clare away. When we were 6pts down at one stage you started to get that sickening feeling again like Sunday. We were slow enough to start and will need to hit the ground running the next day. To be fair the lads responded well and clawed back in the deficit. Shooting was very good, just goes to show what can be done on fine, dry conditions but can't rely on that every game!

No need to even mention who stood out as it has been said already. Aussie superb - it's great knowing that a line ball anywhere in the oppositions half of the field has a good chance of being a score as opposed to just an opportunity to get the ball further up field. I think he still needs to keep his head a bit though, another yellow card tonight and seems like it's becoming the norm every game and one day will get the line. We just couldn't afford to lose him in a big game.

Really pleased with tonight overall, if we can win Munster it would be a great achievement and more or less guaranteed an AI final as the Munster winners play Ulster winners. Great shout to go all the way then but Limerick/Tipp will be a huge challenge.
    It'll be tough to get up for the Munster final 3 days after the Wexford game but a situation I'm happy to be in.

Think we badly needed that win and performance tonight, it at least gives the county a bit of a lift after Sunday and restores some confidence. Had we lost and/or played poorly, we would've gone into the Wexford game in a really dire position so well done to all the lads and management team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

When Limerick beat Tipp handy tomorrow it will be confirmend for Walsh Park in two weeks. If by some miracle Tipp win its in Thurles and thats concrete.
    Other way around you mean. Tipp beat us in Thurles in 2011 and Limerick in WP 2008. Haven't played either since.

A Tipp win tomorrow night is the best result for us as I think we could have a good chance against them at home. Limerick will be favourites however and a midweek trip to Limerick could be a daunting one for our lads, especially as it will only be a few days after the Wexford game. Either way, last nights win is a great boost for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Stephen Bennett showing just how good he can be when fit/injury free. He would cause Wexford lots of trouble. Wonder will Derek start him and who would he leave out if he did.
    Final this night 2 weeks Walsh Park
    if he(Derek) doesn't change his plan,well it will be all the same if he had Callalan,R,Hogan ,Joe Canning or Tj Reid in the forward line .system MUST change ,end of,

cul beag wrote: »
    Great second half performance. The wind definitely had a bearing but with Clare only 2 pts ahead at half time having played with it,they were fighting an uphill battle. Great to see our talented players being left to play as such,shackles off and left have a go. Congrats to the management also on helping this happen having only got hold of the players on Monday night. Devine for all his endeavour still hasn't convinced me,his hurling is slow at times but I suppose he serves a purpose in the forwards. Stephen Bennett was class along with Curran(he has got physically stronger) and Aussie's ability is off the charts! He is like a Paul Gascoigne he could just do about anything with a sliothar! Limerick will prove a stronger outfit and it has the makings of a cracker in Walsh park. €10 entry too was nice to see aswell!!
    was thinking more Johnny Giles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Gleeson is a fine talent........wins a pile of ball at half back. I would like to see him deliver it forward a bit quicker. His first instinct is to run which allows backlines to settle on their men. He seems to think of trying to score himself all the time instead of setting up a score for an inside forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Very poor start, good finish to first half and excellent second half before dropping off in final 5 minutes which can only be expected. I think very have another blossoming talent in Conor Prunty who must be encouraged to concentrate on his hurling (apologies to football lads, but think this guy could be great for us for years to come)

Thought Gleeson when he settled in was immense, and yes he does try to run with the ball too much, but that I feel is because he has become conditioned to a system that forces him to do so, with little option to deliver quality ball into. when you play. Stephen Bennett showed last night why we need him to be played close to goal, not as a work horse out the field. Every time he gets a ball he has one thing on his mind and that causes panic in defence, Fitzgerald's failure to collect the ball for his second goal i feel is a much about the pressure of needing to do so as it was about anything else.

Thought we showed a lot of hunger and determination especially after falling behind so badly in the first quarter. Still worries me how easily Calre found space to literally hang around unmarked for puck- outs and we got caught three times in a row whit relatively short puck outs. Of the normally unsung heros, already mentioned Prunty but thought all did very well last night with special mentions for Harney and O'Brien. A lot expected of DJ and I felt his confidence drained after getting caught in two minds in the first half when a goal chance was on. We need to build his confidence back up - there is much more in him. Devine is another struggling with confidence in his touch, needs to work hard and get it back to be a real force again - final word on game Peter Hogan showed some real touches of class when being introduced also.

Tough final ahead for us no matter who we play, especially after last night and the expectation it will bring. I believe if we keep our heads down, play with the same pattern and intensity from the off - we should fear no one.

cornerboy wrote: »
    Gleeson is a fine talent........wins a pile of ball at half back. I would like to see him deliver it forward a bit quicker. His first instinct is to run which allows backlines to settle on their men. He seems to think of trying to score himself all the time instead of setting up a score for an inside forward.
    he found it hard to adjust after being in the senior set up ,usually when he looks up their is no one in there ,its part of the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Man, that was so much fun. How often can you say that about a match involving Waterford?

Come on Tipperary

If as expected Limerick win, there management team will have the full squad to prepare for the game as there seniors are out of the championship. They have a hoax over our players ( never beat Limerick in minor level in recent years), the final will be Limericks third game and the Gaelic grounds Is a graveyard for Waterford

Ideal for Waterford is if (huge if) we're beating Wexford handy enough we can take off some of the u21 lads early in the game. 2 tough games ahead in the next few weeks.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Come on Tipperary

If as expected Limerick win, there management team will have the full squad to prepare for the game as there seniors are out of the championship. They have a hoax over our players ( never beat Limerick in minor level in recent years), the final will be Limericks third game and the Gaelic grounds Is a graveyard for Waterford

Ideal for Waterford is if (huge if) we're beating Wexford handy enough we can take off some of the u21 lads early in the game. 2 tough games ahead in the next few weeks.
    unfortunately we don't beat teams handy,its nearly always ,fingernail chewing,edge of the seat stuff,

unfortunately we don't beat teams handy,its nearly always ,fingernail chewing,edge of the seat stuff,

Comes with the Waterford supporters package lol

We scraped through Wexford in 2008 in thurles in the qf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Let it go man, that bitterness will eat you up :D Oh and you've got all your facts wrong as well! I don't think there will be too many asking you to pour concrete floors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Are we all agreed now that when Austin Gleeson is in range he should be going for a point from a sideline everytime?

• Advertisement

Are we all agreed now that when Austin Gleeson is in range he should be going for a point from a sideline everytime?
    seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Bobby Duggan only got three possessions in the game, the first when he brought the ball out over the sideline under pressure from several Waterford players, the second deep in his own half before half time, and the third in the last minute. Although his marker Conor Prunty played little ball himself, he deserve credit for sticking to Duggan like a leech and effectively taking him out of the game.

Duggan did terrible damage to Waterford last year when his marker Michael Harney was taken off at half time for no apparent reason. Harney did a very good defensive job last night. Taking him off last year was sheer lunacy which may have cost us an All-Ireland.

Aaron Shanagher only had two possessions, once in the first half when he scored a point and one near the end when he was pulled up for over-carrying when bottled up by the Waterford defence.

I thought Jordan Henley did really well in goal apart from a couple of errant puckouts. I know some people are unhappy with the way Jack Fagan transferred from Meath to Waterford but he could be a serious asset once he gets some hurling done following his recent injury. I was surprised to see neither Andy Molumby nor Cormac Curran among the subs. Anyone know anything about this? Is Cian Leamy still injured?

Giveitfong wrote:
    Duggan did terrible damage to Waterford last year when his marker Michael Harney was taken off at half time for no apparent reason. Harney did a very good defensive job last night. Taking him off last year was sheer lunacy which may have cost us an All-Ireland.

You're correct there. Last year's manager had no idea what he was doing , this year we have a proper one

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DARREN2016

I was surprised to see neither Andy Molumby nor Cormac Curran among the subs. Anyone know anything about this? Is Cian Leamy still injured?[/quote]

Cormac Curran is in America and Molumby is just returning from injury himself. Cian Leamy broke his leg playing a soccer match earlier in the year and is set for a long period out of action, big loss for both Ballyduff and the u21s.

Victory over Wexford or Munster under 21 victory ????

If offered one which would you take

I'd take victory in both like everyother deise supporter but victory in the senior championship is bigger Imo. Sadly underage hurling doesn't get as much a following as the seniors do. A lot of people had no idea there was a Match on last night

We have a better chance of winning the all Ireland at under 21 level than at senior level but a lot of hysteria Is created around the city and county if we qualify for a senior semi final against the cats

Honestly i'd take the win at U21 level because if we beat Wexford i can't see us beating KK and we might get a heavy defeat which would do no good, if we win the Munster Under 21 i think we'll at least get to the final and would be favorites to win it. I'd take an Under 21 AI over another SF defeat in the seniors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Tipp in Waterford it is, for the u21 munster final. Definitely have a better chance than heading into Lions Den in Limerick

Lovely we get Tipp at home now instead of having to travel to Limerick, easier game you would think. Hopefully a big crowd to roar our lads to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Once more a ref adds on at least three minutes injury time - allows Tipp to disrupt when the last free is being taken to waste at least 30 seconds and then still blows up on the three minute mark. Such inconsistent decision making again

blueflame wrote:
    Once more a ref adds on at least three minutes injury time - allows Tipp to disrupt when the last free is being taken to waste at least 30 seconds and then still blows up on the three minute mark. Such inconsistent decision making again

They all do it and it's frustrating..

Thought Limerick were a much better team on paper but they didn't build enough of a lead by half time. We will be favourites for sure

if we play our best we should be able to beat Tipp, i wasnt blown away by them at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement