Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Great stuff. Massive lift. Stephen Bennett return to form confirmed. Oh for that vision on the senior team. I bet when Peter Hogan goes home tonight his family will be talking about that pass.
    Half that team underage next year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

There was a girl near me, maybe 7 or 8 years old, and at the final whistle her dad suggested they go down on the pitch to see the cup being awarded. The look on her face. "And we get a CUP?!"

Cherish these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

There were certainly phases of the game tonight where we left Tipp back into it and the one good thing was our response on both occasions. It was wonderful to see that fight and determination to get us out of those sticky spells and push on again. Foran drifted in and out of the game as did Kearney and one think that could be worked on was the puckouts as we didn't vary them too much even when we were clearly losing possession from them as both wing forwards were struggling to win primary possession from these. But to beat Tipp by 10pts in a Munster final is no mean achievement and you could feel in the support there tonight,we're craving success and also craving a more positive game plan which we got tonight. I just wonder if things don't go according to plan against KK in the senior and we go on to win the u21 could we see a change at the helm?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

what a night ,how to get thousands of people on their feet,hon HOGIE,SOME FORWARDS WHEN THEY ARE ALLOWED HURL,AND THEN ADD Maurice Shanahan into the mix ,a team now that could and would worry any defence in the country ,and that means any ,up the Deise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Weird statement but

For a packed Walsh Park there was a bad atmosphere, was it our supporters were nervous or was it too packed ??
    Thats strange, I thought the same! Had to double check it was actually on in Walsh park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jayus the club championship will never be played at this rate

7th Aug- kilkenny match
    Weekend of 12/13/14- free weekend
    Weekend of 19/20/21- u21 semi vs Antrim
    Weekend of 26/27/28- free weekend
    Weekend of 2/3/4 sep- all Ireland Final weekend
    Weekend of 9/10/11sep- all Ireland u21 final weekend

There's 5 rounds left to play I think

Anyway it's a night of celebration
    Since when were you ever worried about club championships ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

You'll be hard pressed to find a better U21 team to come out of Munster than that. Clare in 2012/13/14 and Tipp in 2010 were savage teams too but I dont think they won in such a convincing fashion as that. Cork had a brilliant U21 team in the 90's and our own team that won in '92 were exceptional too. Going back any further I cant comment really

3ships wrote: »
    Half that team underage next year as well.

Aussie, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran, Devine, Harney, Kearney, Mark O Brien, Hahessy all overage next year. Thats the spine of the team, wont be as strong and Tipp did us a favour by beating Limerick being honest. so lets cherish it this year and hope we can go all the way as these days don t come around often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Since when were you ever worried about club championships ;-)
    just a bit courious and bored lol.
    Aussie, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran, Devine, Harney, Kearney, Mark O Brien, Hahessy all overage next year. Thats the spine of the team, wont be as strong and Tipp did us a favour by beating Limerick being honest. so lets cherish it this year and hope we can go all the way as these days don t come around often

its hard to know what the result would of been if we played Limerick or if we played Tipp in thurles.

Or Clare did Limerick a favour by beating us last year..anyway ts great to be looking forward to an All Ireland final, of course need to take care of Antrim first and anyone who was in Mullingar in 2002 will know better than to underestimate Antrim teams, but looking at their result tonight they wont be one of the stronger teams Antrim have put out in recent years and we should have too much for them by a distance. I wouldnt fear either Galway or Dublin but both could cause us problems if we're not fully at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah next years team probably won't be as strong but I think we'll still have the guts of a decent enough team. There will be the remaining lads who are still underage next year, those being (by my estimation anyway) Jordan Henley, Darragh Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran and Peter Hogan.
    Then you have the cream of the last two years minor teams, to me being the likes of Billy Nolan, Tommy Douglas, Eoghan Murray, Jack Prendergast, Michael Mahony, Andy Molumby and Aaron O'Sullivan.
    I'd like to think we'll at least be competitive but it looks like we'll also have a few (if not all) away games.

Well done to the lads tonight, fantastic performance particularly in the second half. Aussie was majestic (probably could've seen red though), great vision by Stephen Bennett for the second goal and some fine scores taken all over the field. Bit concerned that we went long spells where we just couldn't win a puck out for our lives. It seemed every ball that went into the FF line was coming right back at us but to be fair Tipp backs did generally well.

Should hopefully now be as good as guaranteed an AI final as Antrim/Derry will pose as cannon fodder with all due respect. Who came through from Leinster, was it Dublin? Could be a rematch of the 2013 AI minor final against Galway. I wonder if they'll hold the final in Thurles or Croke park.
    All in all a great nights work and hopefully another confidence booster ahead of Sunday week. Well done Sean Lyons and all involved.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah next years team probably won't be as strong but I think we'll still have the guts of a decent enough team. There will be the remaining lads who are still underage next year, those being (by my estimation anyway) Jordan Henley, Darragh Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran and Peter Hogan.
    Then you have the cream of the last two years minor teams, to me being the likes of Billy Nolan, Tommy Douglas, Eoghan Murray, Jack Prendergast, Michael Mahony, Andy Molumby and Aaron O'Sullivan.
    I'd like to think we'll at least be competitive but it looks like we'll also have a few (if not all) away games.

Well done to the lads tonight, fantastic performance particularly in the second half. Aussie was majestic (probably could've seen red though), great vision by Stephen Bennett for the second goal and some fine scores taken all over the field. Bit concerned that we went long spells where we just couldn't win a puck out for our lives. It seemed every ball that went into the FF line was coming right back at us but to be fair Tipp backs did generally well.

Should hopefully now be as good as guaranteed an AI final as Antrim/Derry will pose as cannon fodder with all due respect. Who came through from Leinster, was it Dublin? Could be a rematch of the 2013 AI minor final against Galway. I wonder if they'll hold the final in Thurles or Croke park.
    All in all a great nights work and hopefully another confidence booster ahead of Sunday week. Well done Sean Lyons and all involved.

Yeah Dublin came through, a good but not great Dublin team, I'd actually fancy them to take Galway, most of Galways minor winning team of last year are underage again this year and their previous few minor teams were average enough. Thats about all I can go on but I dont think either team will come near us going by the last 2 matches

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

Superb performance second half.

This team are a pleasure to watch and hopefully we will have two more games to follow them in.

If only our seniors played with the same freedom.

But anyway, not a night for moaning.

Special mention to the Bennetts who were superb, Jordan Henley did very well in goal again, Tom Devine and Mikey Kearney very impressive and Mark O'Brien with another excellent performance.

But lads, Austin Gleeson.

We really do have a special talent on our hands.

What is it about Mount Sion men and that number 6 jersey?

One of the best performances I have seen.

Ronan Maher not fit to lace Austin's boots and the less said about the Tipp player rolling around trying to get Austin sent off. An absolute disgrace. Yes Austin shouldn't have shoved his faceguard and was lucky not to get red, but to jump on the ground like that to try and get another lad sent off? Awful stuff.

Anyway with Austin, Patrick Curran and the Bennetts on form we can beat the cats.

Or Clare did Limerick a favour by beating us last year..anyway ts great to be looking forward to an All Ireland final, of course need to take care of Antrim first and anyone who was in Mullingar in 2002 will know better than to underestimate Antrim teams, but looking at their result tonight they wont be one of the stronger teams Antrim have put out in recent years and we should have too much for them by a distance. I wouldnt fear either Galway or Dublin but both could cause us problems if we're not fully at it.

Didn't we hammer Antrim up in Ashbourne at minor 3 years ago? Not assuming the same will happen again but gives us an indication of where we should be at. Dublin have a strong side. They have a lot of lads on the senior team like ourselves. Wouldnt be the strongest Galway u21 group we beat them well at minor a couple years ago but then they won the minor last year so I'm guessing a few of them will have come along. Who ever wins that will be tough but it will take a good team to beat us

Didn't we hammer Antrim up in Ashbourne at minor 3 years ago? Not assuming the same will happen again but gives us an indication of where we should be at. Dublin have a strong side. They have a lot of lads on the senior team like ourselves. Wouldnt be the strongest Galway u21 group we beat them well at minor a couple years ago but then they won the minor last year so I'm guessing a few of them will have come along. Who ever wins that will be tough but it will take a good team to beat us

AFAIK a lot of Galways minor team from last year are underage again this year, if that makes any difference. They are always a bit of an unknown quantity and I dont think its fair on them actually to start their championship this late, but that's another debate. I'd say its a 50/50 game themselves and Dublin but going by tonite and the last nite we shouldnt have anything to fear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Fair play to ye lads from a tipp man. That's probably the best under 21 team I've ever seen come out of the Munster.

Ye played some lovely hurling last night. Really fluid stuff - some of the points aussie put over from his own half were outrageous. Would be a pity now if ye don't take home the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deisexile

Cake Man wrote: »

Definitely won't be as strong next year but should be more than competitive at least. You'd also have to include Neil Montgomery in that list from this years minor team. Probably the best performer over the course of the 3 games.
    Outstanding display last night though. Great to see some traditional, free flowing Waterford hurling again! Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

Deise2016 wrote: »
    n.

Ronan Maher not fit to lace Austin's boots .

Gracious in victory i see, yet again.
    Like the gloating in Tipp players faces on the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

First half was poor enough......especially our half forwards who weren't able to compete on own puckouts. Second half was completely different but mostly because Gleeson grabbed it by the scruff of the neck.........great performance. The second half was the first time I have enjoyed watching a Waterford team in a couple of years......it was like a throw back to the early 00s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Gracious in victory i see, yet again.
    Like the gloating in Tipp players faces on the pitch!

Sorry now but I have to come in on this. I saw first hand the sledging that Stephen Bennett was getting from the Tipp defender all through that first half. It was a credit to him that he didn't snap and to be honest what he did having scored was mild in comparison to what he should really have done! You'll tell me now that that's part of the game I suppose so if it is then don't dish it out if you're not able to accept it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

This U21 team has an unusual make up. Of the starting 15 only one player from Mt. Sion and none from DLS or Ballygunner. There are players from non senior clubs such as Clonea, Bunmahon, Shamrocks, Ballysaggart, Ferrybank and Modeligo. In my opinion this bears testament to the developement of colleges hurling in Waterford in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Didn't get to see the game down under, checked the TG4 website and couldn't see it on the Player.

Anyone know when it will be up on the TG4 site to watch?

Also, I'm interested to See Conor Gleeson again was impressed by him against Clare when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

cul beag wrote: »
    Sorry now but I have to come in on this. I saw first hand the sledging that Stephen Bennett was getting from the Tipp defender all through that first half. It was a credit to him that he didn't snap and to be honest what he did having scored was mild in comparison to what he should really have done! You'll tell me now that that's part of the game I suppose so if it is then don't dish it out if you're not able to accept it back!!

Not to mention the filthy swipe on Shane Bennett in the final minute or the throwing of the hurley at Peter Hogan when he was through on goal, either of which could have caused serious injury!

Looking at a re run of the game on TG4 this morning Donal O'Grady made reference to the treatment of Stephen Bennett by his marker and his non protection by the referee.

Always good to hear from the keepers of the flame. I'd say ladiesman216 is named for the number of Tipp fans who made the perilous journey to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

cul beag wrote: »

I was actually more annoyed with the previous poster that felt he had to belittle Ronan Maher to praise Gleeson. Smacks of bitterness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ObiwanKenoby

I was actually more annoyed with the previous poster that felt he had to belittle Ronan Maher to praise Gleeson. Smacks of bitterness.

You'd be better off graciously congratulating us on an outstanding win - like your fellow county man Malisman did in a post here earlier - rather than nitpicking about some relatively harmless comment about Maher. I think you're the bitter one. SOME Tipp fans can't take a beating by Waterford. We were by FAR the better team. I am not gloating, this is a fact. Get over it and get used to it because these lads will be around for a few years yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Fair play to Waterford. Their trajectory is on a similar path to Clare in terms of minor All Ireland victory and now looking like serious contenders for the U21 All Ireland. The 2013 All Ireland victory for Clare culminated in winning titles at underage so who knows what lies ahead for Waterford. Stephen Bennett was magnificient and he has a lovely touch. The assist for the second goal was sublime. I cannot fathom how he doesn't start for seniors. Tom Devine needs to start as well. He does a lot of the unseen donkey work and can chip in with vital scores.

I have to say some of the blinkered myopic views I have read over the last 2 pages are disappointing to say the least. Why you can not enjoy a success or laud a player without running down another player is beyond my comprehension. Also maybe some posters on here can apply the same standards when assessing players misdemeanors on both sides. There was one incident in the first half where a tipp player had a facemask pulled off by the Waterford player. Also in same passage of play Gleeson punched a Tipp player. The jeering from Waterford supporters which accompanied every Tipp free was like something you would see at a Millwall MK dons game. Also the level of goading by Waterford players masks some of the bitterness and bile spewed around these parts. But I guess its just small time attitude and pettymindedness that accompanys sets of supporters who are starved of success, who rarely win and dont know how to react when they do win. So it kind of adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ObiwanKenoby

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Fair play to Waterford. Their trajectory is on a similar path to Clare in terms of minor All Ireland victory and now looking like serious contenders for the U21 All Ireland. The 2013 All Ireland victory for Clare culminated in winning titles at underage so who knows what lies ahead for Waterford. Stephen Bennett was magnificient and he has a lovely touch. The assist for the second goal was sublime. I cannot fathom how he doesn't start for seniors. Tom Devine needs to start as well. He does a lot of the unseen donkey work and can chip in with vital scores.

I have to say some of the blinkered myopic views I have read over the last 2 pages are disappointing to say the least. Why you can not enjoy a success or laud a player without running down another player is beyond my comprehension. Also maybe some posters on here can apply the same standards when assessing players misdemeanors on both sides. There was one incident in the first half where a tipp player had a facemask pulled off by the Waterford player. Also in same passage of play Gleeson punched a Tipp player. The jeering from Waterford supporters which accompanied every Tipp free was like something you would see at a Millwall MK dons game. Also the level of goading by Waterford players masks some of the bitterness and bile spewed around these parts. But I guess its just small time attitude and pettymindedness that accompanys sets of supporters who are starved of success, who rarely win and dont know how to react when they do win. So it kind of adds up.

To say that Gleeson punched the player is completely disingenuous. Furthermore, absolutely no mention from you of the disgraceful theatrics by the Tipp player who collapsed to the ground trying to get him sent off for nothing. Get your facts right before coming on here talking s****. We all know Austin needs to sort out his temprament. But he punched no one - and you know it!

Lads, don't feed the troll.

To say that Gleeson punched the player is completely disingenuous. Furthermore, absolutely no mention from you of the disgraceful theatrics by the Tipp player who collapsed to the ground trying to get him sent off for nothing. Get your facts right before coming on here talking s****. We all know Austin needs to sort out his temprament. But he punched no one - and you know it!

Watch the video or better still post it up here and will see who is being disingenuous. Maybe instead of blaming the player who got punched, you should look at the root cause of his behaviour. He seems to dish it out with impunity on a hurling field. Bonnar Maher got the handle of the hurley through the helmet during the senior munster final. In terms of trying to get a player sent off. Austin Gleeson gave an oscar like performance trying to do the same to Cathal Barrett in the senior munster final. Again dont take my word for it. Watch it back. He made a miraculous recovery moments later.

In terms of theatrics and gamesmanship Waterford are market leaders in this regard. Brick Walsh could go to Rio with some of his diving skills. Maurice has been afflicted with this wobbly legs and flopping syndrome as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

The goading stuff is not in people's imagination, nor is it sore loser talk. The entire country comments on it. Better for Waterford to face up to it and deal with it. Not a huge problem to solve but has an outsized effect on people's perception of you.

Austin Gleeson didn't punch him.

He gave him tap with his fist into the faceguard...and was probably lucky not to see red for making contact with the faceguard but a punch it certainly wasn't.

The reaction of the Tipp player was awful to say the least. A delay of about 3 seconds before jumping on the ground as if he had been shot.

Fact is Austin absolutely cleaned Tipp out of it last night.

And as regards Ronan Maher he is a very good player, anyone can see that.

But he has had it very easy against Cork, Limerick and Waterford so far at senior level.

Is he as good as Gleeson? I would say not even close but that's only my opinion.

But given they were the two centre backs on the night I think it's fair to compare their performances.

Watch the video or better still post it up here and will see who is being disingenuous. Maybe instead of blaming the player who got punched, you should look at the root cause of his behaviour. He seems to dish it out with impunity on a hurling field. Bonnar Maher got the handle of the hurley through the helmet during the senior munster final. In terms of trying to get a player sent off. Austin Gleeson gave an oscar like performance trying to do the same to Cathal Barrett in the senior munster final. Again dont take my word for it. Watch it back. He made a miraculous recovery moments later.

In terms of theatrics and gamesmanship Waterford are market leaders in this regard. Brick Walsh could go to Rio with some of his diving skills. Maurice has been afflicted with this wobbly legs and flopping syndrome as well.

We could go on here about Bubbles getting sent off against Limerick and a couple of other incidents where he 'dishes it out'.

What about Lar Corbett's antics in trying to get Tommy Walsh sent off in Croke Park a number of years ago.

Or Corbett's shoulder that could have knocked out Eoin Murphy?

Alternatively, we could just accept that no player is perfect and admire the likes of Austin, Bubbles o Dwyer etc for the wonderful talents they are and the enjoyment they give all of us hurling people regardless of our county...rather than picking out negatives.

Hurling first, county loyalty second and enjoy our game first and foremost.

deiseach wrote: »
    Lads, don't feed the troll.

Its an easy card to play to say that when you dont want to deal with the salient points being made or deal with a few uncomfortable home truths. Its the equivalent of pissing all over the toilet seat at home and complaining to your wife for trolling you for bringing to your attention. But if you want to be insular and talk abolute horse****e amongst yourselves then no problem. Where ignorance is bliss, its folly to be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

An article written in the Hogan Stand comments on a masterclass display of hurling and goading last night by Waterford - the author did not see fit to put his name to it, but it appears obvious where allegiances lie with his more extensive knowledge of the Tipp players. No comment however on William Maher being well outside his technical area buffooning Patrick Curran when standing over a free, a free that would either have yielded a point or a wide had he just shut up and left Curran alone - the fact that it resulted in a goal was perfect Karma in my view. Hard to control crowds but should be able to control management.

Cathal Barrett then tweets Stephen Bennett could have been on the goal line he was so far in the square. take off the glasses boy, when Curran is striking the ball at worst his left foot is on the line while his body and other foot are outside the square. In the second it take the ball to arrive he has moved in the square but is way too close to call - so much for he might as well have been on the goal line!!!!!!

I am sure there was plenty of reminders given to Gleeson, Bennett and Co about last Sunday fortnight in Limerick, and that goes both ways. There was also plenty of afters being dished out by Tipp lads, but that is part of the game. Quirke literally tried to walk Conor Gleesson into the ground before the ball was even thrown in, he repeatedly attempted to stamp back on his feet , but hey that happens.

As regards Gleeson's punch , Gleeson was silly and yes could have received a technical red, but I have seen women at sales being more agressive than that, it was a most a push to the side of the chin. The fact it took the Tipp lad to come back and then fall over about three seconds later was embarrassing. He tried to get Gleeson put off, it didn;t work. I know we have had a few actors ourselves in our time, but you Tipp lads are quick to lash it out when this has happened. Gleeson is a really special talent and he is going to be targeted, he has to learn to deal with this.

Three weeks ago we were soundly beaten by Tipp, we were told then we were making excuses and were bad loosers, now we are bad winners, take off the rose coloured glasses and see last night for what it was - a great game of hurling where the better side on the night over the sixty minutes won and stop the exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

No matter how much of a tap it was Gleeson was so stupid to throw the punch at josh Keane - if he got a yellow it should have been red -we got lucky.

Ya Bennett was in the square when the ball arrived.

As a county that never plays at home in the senior grades it us no harm to get a few home town decisions we don't have to be ashamed of it.

It was a cracking which Swang over and back about four times before finally coming g back in our favour.

Tipp fans were very gracious in defeat - something a lot of Waterford fans could learn from after the bile spewed after the league final.

Sure Waterford haven't much success - but it makes it all the sweeter when you win something. There is a tradition in Waterford - a tradition of keeping going, but a new tradition is emerging, the children in the county are hurling and camogie mad - with participation at an all time high. It can only lead us to better days..... and if not, it is already a success in itself - a beautiful thing to see

JesusRef wrote: »
    No matter how much of a tap it was Gleeson was so stupid to throw the punch at josh Keane - if he got a yellow it should have been red -we got lucky.

Ya Bennett was in the square when the ball arrived.

As a county that never plays at home in the senior grades it us no harm to get a few home town decisions we don't have to be ashamed of it.

It was a cracking which Swang over and back about four times before finally coming g back in our favour.

Tipp fans were very gracious in defeat - something a lot of Waterford fans could learn from after the bile spewed after the league final.

Sure Waterford haven't much success - but it makes it all the sweeter when you win something. There is a tradition in Waterford - a tradition of keeping going, but a new tradition is emerging, the children in the county are hurling and camogie mad - with participation at an all time high. It can only lead us to better days..... and if not, it is already a success in itself - a beautiful thing to see

Thank you for a well balanced post.

Gleeson was lucky. Never give the ref an excuse to do something daft - it's not as if they need an excuse.

But jeez, it would have been daft. If the roles were reversed and a red card was issued, you'd be pretty embarrassed to benefit from such a decision. It comes to something when (some of) the people who gave us Hell's Kitchen are bleating about being hard done by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It was a straight red according to the rules. The rules may be daft but the ref was well entitled to send him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We have to thank Willie Maher for our first goal as he was the cause of the delay with the free that made the goal lol

Has it been confirmed that the u21 semi finals a double header in thurles ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Waterford always getting criticism from other counties, Bennett was getting an awful time off his marker and did well not to react, As for the jeering from supporters, i'm sorry are we going to pretend it doesn't happen in Thurles? Not saying it's nice but Waterford do it no more then other counties. Feck the begrudgers sour grapes imo which stems from the belief the likes of Tipp have that Waterford have no business winning trophies and should be kept down. We won fair and square accept it and move on.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the game down under, checked the TG4 website and couldn't see it on the Player.

Anyone know when it will be up on the TG4 site to watch?

The match is now on TG4's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

This team is seriously talented, bout time we broke through the ranks at this level. To be honest we've had good u21 teams the past few years. But got matched against very good clare teams. I feel we could of won a few of those. But here we are. Honn the deise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's a very bad reflection on the Tipp fans that they can't leave Waterford enjoy one of the rare victories. It's easy for them to come on here after the senior result with a sympatric voice bemoaning the "system" and advising how we'll never win an All Ireland unless we scrap it. At the same time you can be sure their having a good chuckle over the whole thing.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    It's a very bad reflection on the Tipp fans that they can't leave Waterford enjoy one of the rare victories. It's easy for them to come on here after the senior result with a sympatric voice bemoaning the "system" and advising how we'll never win an All Ireland unless we scrap it. At the same time you can be sure their having a good chuckle over the whole thing.

I wouldn't hold the keyboard warriors on here against Tipperary folk. I was talking to a lad in a pub in Cashel on Sunday and he was quite unequivocal that last night's game was Waterford's to lose. No BS from him then and I doubt you'd get any BS from him now. The Ignore option is your friend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

JeffKenna wrote: »

There's very few keyboard warriors from Tipp bemoaning the result - vast majority knew beating Waterford was not going to be an easy task. One or two posters does not and should not equate to a reflection on the Tipp fanbase on here and outside of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Stephen Bennett was getting hassle from the Tipp full back line, right up until our second goal.
    Following him around, one of them constantly mouthing, very disappointing to see, but they hardly did this off their own back? Or did they?
    Did management tell them to go at him?
    Anyways he's one of the soundest, quietest fellas around & I'm not surprised he didn't snap.

As for the Cathal Barrett tweet, you can move into the square once the free has been taken. He was hardly on the goal line, he had one foot inside & one foot outside the square as Curran struck the free.

One Tipperary poster mentions goading. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I didn't see it. Some names? I saw players shaking hands and swapping jerseys at full time. And we've experienced all sorts of goading from Tipp fans in the past.

Anyways this goading thing is a sign of weakness. I can't imagine a Kilkenny player at it. Cody wouldn't want it. Fellas do it when they're up against a better player. After scoring 2-3 in the last game the Tipp lads were obviously going to be wary of Stephen. If anything it's a compliment. Look at the treatment Mullane got in the 2004 Munster final. He'd scored 3-1 in the final the previous year, and was possibly our biggest threat.

The Dublin footballers were masters of the goading in the noughties, a relatively unsuccessful period for them as they failed to reach an AI final. They dropped the "tactic", and have since won three All-Irelands.

Well done to all the lads last night. Fantastic to see 8,000 Waterford fans turn up for an under 21 match. We have a special team here.

Antrim next. They did beat Wexford (a team that had beaten Kilkenny) in the under 21 semis in 2014. Let's not take them for granted.

I can't see our seniors beating Kilkenny. I travel in hope more than in expectation. If we can end a 24 year drought and win an under 21 AI, and make some sort of a contest of the Kilkenny match (keep them to within a few points like we've done every year bar 2008), 2016 would be a successful year for Waterford hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

con89 wrote: »
    Stephen Bennett was getting hassle from the Tipp full back line, right up until our second goal.
    Following him around, one of them constantly mouthing, very disappointing to see, but they hardly did this off their own back? Or did they?
    Did management tell them to go at him?
    Anyways he's one of the soundest, quietest fellas around & I'm not surprised he didn't snap.

As for the Cathal Barrett tweet, you can move into the square once the free has been taken. He was hardly on the goal line, he had one foot inside & one foot outside the square as Curran struck the free.

One Tipperary poster mentions goading. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I didn't see it. Some names? I saw players shaking hands and swapping jerseys at full time. And we've experienced all sorts of goading from Tipp fans in the past.

Anyways this goading thing is a sign of weakness. I can't imagine a Kilkenny player at it. Cody wouldn't want it. Fellas do it when they're up against a better player. After scoring 2-3 in the last game the Tipp lads were obviously going to be wary of Stephen. If anything it's a compliment. Look at the treatment Mullane got in the 2004 Munster final. He'd scored 3-1 in the final the previous year, and was possibly our biggest threat.

The Dublin footballers were masters of the goading in the noughties, a relatively unsuccessful period for them as they failed to reach an AI final. They dropped the "tactic", and have since won three All-Irelands.

Well done to all the lads last night. Fantastic to see 8,000 Waterford fans turn up for an under 21 match. We have a special team here.

Antrim next. They did beat Wexford (a team that had beaten Kilkenny) in the under 21 semis in 2014. Let's not take them for granted.

I can't see our seniors beating Kilkenny. I travel in hope more than in expectation. If we can end a 24 year drought and win an under 21 AI, and make some sort of a contest of the Kilkenny match (keep them to within a few points like we've done every year bar 2008), 2016 would be a successful year for Waterford hurling.

Just on a technical point, you can't enter the square after a free is taken, you can't enter before the ball enters. Gaelic Football has different rules. Not that this had any effect on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

blackcard wrote: »
    Just on a technical point, you can't enter the square after a free is taken, you can't enter before the ball enters. Gaelic Football has different rules. Not that this had any effect on the result.

My bad, I don't play in the forwards haha

• Advertisement

Hslaw wrote: »
    This team is seriously talented, bout time we broke through the ranks at this level. To be honest we've had good u21 teams the past few years. But got matched against very good clare teams. I feel we could of won a few of those. But here we are. Honn the deise.

We were unlucky not to beat Clare in 2013, we ran them close, we were leading much of the game and then got a man sent off and Clare won it in the last few minutes, had we won that we could very well have won it out. 2012 we underperformed and were blown away by a magnificent Clare team. 2014 we didnt turn up against a hungry but limited Cork side.
    2015 we could have gone all the way too but once again Clare put up a big performance and knocked us out. Hopefully this is our year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement