Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

We were unlucky not to beat Clare in 2013, we ran them close, we were leading much of the game and then got a man sent off and Clare won it in the last few minutes, had we won that we could very well have won it out. 2012 we underperformed and were blown away by a magnificent Clare team. 2014 we didnt turn up against a hungry but limited Cork side.
    2015 we could have gone all the way too but once again Clare put up a big performance and knocked us out. Hopefully this is our year.

Wouldn't it be great. Personally I'm not looking past the semi. But I do think we will beat Antrim. I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that
    I just think this crop of players are special. And will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Hslaw wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great. Personally I'm not looking past the semi. But I do think we will beat Antrim. I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that
    I just think this crop of players are special. And will be hard to beat.

Ah we wont have any problems whatsoever against Antrim but if the seniors do win their semi, it could affect preparations for the U21 final. Will be interesting to see a senior/u21 double is a nice thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Another thing that was fantastic about last night, was the fact that the players who played represent 17 different clubs.
    17 clubs, and that's not including unused substitutes (which would up this number to about 25 or so clubs).
    This number of clubs getting a representation on the pitch is surely some sort of record for any county in a provincial decider?
    The fact that we've fewer GAA clubs here, than in any of the other Munster counties makes this all the more special.
    Henley (Tallow)
    Lyons & Curran (Dungarvan)
    Gleeson & Ryan (Fourmilewater)
    Harney (Bunmahon)
    Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    Hahessy (Clonea)
    Prunty (Abbeyside)
    Roche (Shamrocks)
    O'Brien (Ferrybank)
    Foran (Portlaw)
    Devine (Modeligo)
    Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)
    The Bennetts (Ballysaggart)
    Hogan (Ballygunner)
    Fagan (De La Salle)
    Whelan (Tramore)
    Fives (Tourin)

I don't have a programme at hand so I'm not sure who else is on the panel. But I'd presume Ross Browne (Colligan), Paidi Prendergast (Lismore) and Andy Molumby (Cappoquin), who all played friendlies with the seniors earlier in the year are on the panel?
    And if the minor team of three years ago is anything to go by then a few of these lads are on the panel?
    Michael Cronin (Ardmore)
    Paul O'Connor & Ed O'Halloran (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    Paul O'Toole (Roanmore)
    Sam O'Neill (Erin's Own)
    Sean Hogan (Passage)
    Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers)
    Christy Breathnach (An Ghaeltacht)

That's 31 lads from 27 clubs throughout the county which is a phenomenal achievement, (key senior player Brick Walsh's club Stradbally isn't included).
    To me this shows the strength of hurling in every corner of the county, and is a feat that may never be beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

con89 wrote: »
    Another thing that was fantastic about last night, was the fact that the players who played represent 17 different clubs.
    17 clubs, and that's not including unused substitutes (which would up this number to about 25 or so clubs).
    This number of clubs getting a representation on the pitch is surely some sort of record for any county in a provincial decider?
    The fact that we've fewer GAA clubs here, than in of the other Munster counties makes this all the more special.
    Henley (Tallow)
    Lyons & Curran (Dungarvan)
    Gleeson & Ryan (Fourmilewater)
    Harney (Bunmahon)
    Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    Hahessy (Clonea)
    Prunty (Abbeyside)
    Roche (Shamrocks)
    O'Brien (Ferrybank)
    Foran (Portlaw)
    Devine (Modeligo)
    Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)
    The Bennetts (Ballysaggart)
    Hogan (Ballygunner)
    Fagan (De La Salle)
    Whelan (Tramore)
    Fives (Tourin)

I don't have a programme at hand so I'm not sure who else is on the panel. But I'd presume Ross Browne (Colligan), Paidi Prendergast (Lismore) and Andy Molumby (Cappoquin), who all played friendlies with the seniors earlier in the year are on the panel?
    And if the minor team of three years ago is anything to go by then a few of these lads are on the panel?
    Michael Cronin (Ardmore)
    Paul O'Connor & Ed O'Halloran (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    Paul O'Toole (Roanmore)
    Sam O'Neill (Erin's Own)
    Sean Hogan (Passage)
    Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers)
    Christy Breathnach (An Ghaeltacht)

That's 31 lads from 27 clubs throughout the county which is a phenomenal achievement, (key senior player Brick Walsh's club Stradbally isn't included).
    To me this shows the strength of hurling in every corner of the county, and is a feat that may never be beaten?

That is interesting alrite, perhaps we are becoming the new Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Jack Mullaney will be on 21 team next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

limerick beat that team every time they met
    dont lose the run of yourself pal

limmyhulk wrote: »

The point I was making is the wide range of clubs represented on the panel perhaps indicates the level of hurling throughout the county is strong.
    You've completely missed the point. How many clubs are represented on the current Limerick under 21 team?

I never said this team would go on to win the AI, and I've no doubt that if it were to play Limerick's under 21 side, we'd be in for a close game.

The teams haven't played in 3 years, so your point is kind of irrelevant by taking this back to the minor championships of 2013. But if you insist on it, you didn't beat us ''every time'', we drew once, and ye won the replay by a goal.
    We went on to win the AI, beating Galway in the final by 8 points.

Tipperary's minors also beat us in 2013. Three years on we've beaten them by 10 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Not sure you got the gist of the post you were replying to...

(Hint: he was talking about the health of hurling across the county measured by representatives from lots of clubs on the county panel, nothing to do with the winning of intercounty titles)...

im delighted ye beat tipp
    im replying to stacks
    hes disrespecting limerick
    cant see anyone denying ye all ireland now
    just my opinion but were limerick still in it ye wouldnt beat us
    nor ye wont get anywhere near us next year
    last years limerick team better than this years waterford team,just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

As was said above the list of clubs last night was so great to see - just like in 2013.

Waterford is a unique county, we are surrounded by 98 senior all Ireland hurling titles.
    KK - 36
    Cork - 30
    Tipp - 26
    Wexford - 6

No other county borders the 3 heavyweights Tipp, KK and Cork,

No other county has emerged from the hurling doldrums like us in recent times.

Even when our underage teams were getting walloped (pretty much anyone who didnt play minor or U21 in 92 or 94 and aside for the recent underage upsurge) some guys off these teams turned the tables on the bigger teams at senior level - in hurling this is unheard of...

The smallest county in Munster - yet now we see hurlers being supplied from clubs all over the county.

Hopefully it will continue and the next generation will see a few All Stars emerge from places like Tramore.

Yep We are doing some job down here, Waterford are unique..
    It's great being fom Waterford!

• Advertisement

how great was it when tipp handed ye yere balls on a platter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

?

Stayed til the last puck of the ball as I have done and will do with every hammering I witnessed or will witness, didn't feel great but I knew there would be another day - if not with the county with the club.. it always gets purged somewhere down the line but luckily for us we didn't have to wait long.

arent you just the greatest gael
    green giant beware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Didn't we hammer Antrim up in Ashbourne at minor 3 years ago? Not assuming the same will happen again but gives us an indication of where we should be at. Dublin have a strong side. They have a lot of lads on the senior team like ourselves. Wouldnt be the strongest Galway u21 group we beat them well at minor a couple years ago but then they won the minor last year so I'm guessing a few of them will have come along. Who ever wins that will be tough but it will take a good team to beat us

yip sure did weather was rank they had a big glss front like the dogs in kilcohan everyone went inside, missed most of the second half as cork were beating kk on the the telly, never as strange a sight seeing a bar with 200 people cheering on a cork win

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

The lack of a harty cup playing school in mid Waterford will stifle the supply of quality hurlers from smaller junior and intermediate clubs in the future. This current crop have been the best produced all the way up but further down the grades the teams are not as strong. Fantastic lift to the county last night and credit to all involved. Wonderful if they could go all the way and bring home some silverware.

How was it when the under 21s handed tips balls to.them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

just my opinion but were limerick still in it ye wouldnt beat us
    nor ye wont get anywhere near us next year
    last years limerick team better than this years waterford team,just my opinion

Just my opinion but ye were beaten beat a very average Tipp side so maybe yere not as good as you thought ye were

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Fair play to Waterford. Their trajectory is on a similar path to Clare in terms of minor All Ireland victory and now looking like serious contenders for the U21 All Ireland. The 2013 All Ireland victory for Clare culminated in winning titles at underage so who knows what lies ahead for Waterford. Stephen Bennett was magnificient and he has a lovely touch. The assist for the second goal was sublime. I cannot fathom how he doesn't start for seniors. Tom Devine needs to start as well. He does a lot of the unseen donkey work and can chip in with vital scores.

I have to say some of the blinkered myopic views I have read over the last 2 pages are disappointing to say the least. Why you can not enjoy a success or laud a player without running down another player is beyond my comprehension. Also maybe some posters on here can apply the same standards when assessing players misdemeanors on both sides. There was one incident in the first half where a tipp player had a facemask pulled off by the Waterford player. Also in same passage of play Gleeson punched a Tipp player. The jeering from Waterford supporters which accompanied every Tipp free was like something you would see at a Millwall MK dons game. Also the level of goading by Waterford players masks some of the bitterness and bile spewed around these parts. But I guess its just small time attitude and pettymindedness that accompanys sets of supporters who are starved of success, who rarely win and dont know how to react when they do win. So it kind of adds up.

Its been very sweet to sit back and read all the begrudgery from posters from other counties, Tipp (oh the irony) telling us we are bad winners and small minded, and now Limerick. Keep it coming lads

Hslaw wrote: »
    This team is seriously talented, bout time we broke through the ranks at this level. To be honest we've had good u21 teams the past few years. But got matched against very good clare teams. I feel we could of won a few of those. But here we are. Honn the deise.

We were unlucky not to beat Clare in 2013, we ran them close, we were leading much of the game and then got a man sent off and Clare won it in the last few minutes, had we won that we could very well have won it out. 2012 we underperformed and were blown away by a magnificent Clare team. 2014 we didnt turn up against a hungry but limited Cork side.
    2015 we could have gone all the way too but once again Clare put up a big performance and knocked us out. Hopefully this is our year.

u21 has been a disaster for a good few years considering the individually talented players that have come through.

2012 we were hammered out the gate, many of that team are now the Waterford senior team so looking back on it was a shambles. 2013 indiscipline let us down, we had the beatings of Clare until a guy already on a yellow card made a stupid pull that you'd slaughter an u12 for doing. He was sent off and Clare pulled away. 2014, beaten by a 14 man Cork side that was supposedly one of their worst u21 sides in history. Last year wasn't much better. We got revenge on Cork but were well beaten by a Clare side that had very few left from their all conquering u21 team so really there should have been no excuses.

I'm actually surprised that we got it together this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Limerick are **** at every grade atm, destroyed in the Minor MF, beaten by an average Tipp team in the under 21s and don't even get me started on the embarrassment that was the seniors this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Limerick are a joke of a county. Only bit of success there at all are the Rubber Bandits, and at least they're meant to be funny, unlike their GAA teams.

Previous u21 management made some awful selection choices as well, it's nice to see probably the best 15 available play their positions and trusted to play their positions. Was a very entertaining game to watch, fair play to both teams for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Remember Sportsworld? It was a Friday night sports show where they'd do a round-up of Euronews-style footage of sport from about the globe. If sumo or cross country skiing was your thing, it was your thing. For a couple of years though they bundled in 'Gaelicworld' which was their effort at a GAA magazine programme. I have no idea why we decided to record it the night we did because there was no promo to indicate that were going to show it - perhaps all the underage games coming thick and fast that year meant we thought there might be something about Waterford - but didn't we record it the night they showed eight minutes of highlights of Waterford beating Clare in the 1992 Munster Under-21 final. There were days that summer where the first thing I'd do in the morning would be to watch it. I was 16 and it was the first time we had won ANYTHING at inter-county level in my entire life. I still get goosebumps thinking about it, and it really puts not being able to win the MacCarthy Cup into perspective. Wednesday night may not have been the same, even to a 16-year-old who will have seen Waterford win Senior Munster titles and the All-Ireland Minor crown, but anyone in Walsh Park was among the first only people EVER to see Waterford win a title on our own turf*. I've got a boy myself now, and surely he can aspire to be there someday. Barry Whelan showed that even a Tramore man has a chance! There was an eight year gap between winning the Under-21 Munster title in 1994 and winning the Senior gong in 2002, but since then three years is as long as we've gone without winning some manner of inter-county title. It's been riches beyond the wildest dreams of my youth.

Ah, I'm gushing here, and it'll probably flush out trolls for whom Under-21 medals are handed out in the change in their county (although you can be sure none of them have ever won anything in their puffs). But it just made me so happy to see all the efforts of everyone who puts in a shift for Waterford GAA get some tangible feedback. To all of them, I'd like to say thanks.

*Edited to reflect those who saw us win the 1929 Munster Minor title at home. Fair play to you if you saw both :p

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭letsseehere14

Ropaire wrote: »
    Limerick are a joke of a county. Only bit of success there at all are the Rubber Bandits, and at least they're meant to be funny, unlike their GAA teams.
    Limerick are **** at every grade atm, destroyed in the Minor MF, beaten by an average Tipp team in the under 21s and don't even get me started on the embarrassment that was the seniors this year.

This is really disappointing, two counties trying to head in the same direction, with 'similar' success across the grades, a small bit of recent success from one and it doesnt take long for the bile to float to the top. Talk like that is as bad or worse than what iv seen KK or Tipp people come out with, only difference, they have the success to back it up.

As for Limerick, I am compelled to defend. Senior success recently, especially the last two seasons has been disappointing. But is comparable if not greater, championship wise, than Waterford.

Senior

Limerick
    2013 Knocked Tipperary out of Munster
    2013 Munster Champions
    2013 AI Semi Final, Disappointing defeat but competitive.
    2014 Knocked Tipperary out of Munster
    2014 Munster Senior Hurling Finalist.
    2014 AI Semi FInal, Disappointing Defeat to Kilkenny, competitive.
    2015 Disappointing Senior run.
    2016 Disappointing Senior run.

Waterford
    2013 Knocked out of Munster
    2013 AI Qualifiers, knocked out, all be it by KK
    2014 Knocked out of Munster
    2014 Knocked out of Qualifiers, by Wexford!
    2015 Munster Final, lost
    2015 AI Semi, lost
    2016 Munster Final, crushed
    2016 AI Semi Final, ......

So Senior Championship, Waterford have had 2 years of dominance over Limerick, but over the last 4 seasons, championship, Limerick have been the more successful team.

U21

Limerick
    2011 Munster Champions, lost to Galway (eventual winners)
    2012 Lost in Munster to Tipp
    2013 Lost in Munster to Tipp
    2014 Lost to Clare
    2015 ALL Ireland Champions

Waterford
    2011 Lost in Munster
    2012 Hammered by Clare
    2013 Lost in Munster to Clare
    2014 Lost to Cork
    2015 Lost to Clare
    2016 Munster Champions

Minor

Limerick
    2013 Munster Champions
    2014 Munster Champions, Losing AI Finalist
    2015 Lost Munster Final
    2016 Lost Munster Final (Still in AI Series)

Waterford
    2013 AI Champions
    2014 Lost Munster Final to Limerick
    2015 Knocked out in Munster by Limerick
    2016 Knocked out in Munster by Limerick

So to re-cap, Senior, more recent success in Munster, and better showings in AI Semi finals. U21, More recent success including and AI last year. Minor, 2 Munster championships vs 1 AI to Waterford. And ye come out with comments like those quoted above?

Enjoy yere success but a when ye show the need to attack other counties after ye have won something smacks of over compensation. You will get begrudgers and sore losers the whole time but the speed some posters here have dropped to the level of ridiculing other counties, WHO HAVE HAD MORE RECENT SUCCESS OVER THE 3 GRADES, shows little class.

Oh, and I didnt even bother going through the Club Series.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: This is the Waterford thread, not the Waterford v Limerick thread. Enough of the tit-for-tat nonsense!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

How has Jack Fagan been doing for both De La Salle and Waterford? Has he been getting much game time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Limerick and Tipp lads coming on here and giving Waterford plenty of stick, then they are giving out when people fight back.

If Waterford lads were giving out about other counties out of the Blue then I'd say fair enough but they're not. They're responding to other clowns. Ridiculous not to expect a reaction and ridiculous to blame the Waterford lads for it.

This is really disappointing, two counties trying to head in the same direction, with 'similar' success across the grades, a small bit of recent success from one and it doesnt take long for the bile to float to the top. Talk like that is as bad or worse than what iv seen KK or Tipp people come out with, only difference, they have the success to back it up.

As for Limerick, I am compelled to defend. Senior success recently, especially the last two seasons has been disappointing. But is comparable if not greater, championship wise, than Waterford.

Senior

Limerick
    2013 Knocked Tipperary out of Munster
    2013 Munster Champions
    2013 AI Semi Final, Disappointing defeat but competitive.
    2014 Knocked Tipperary out of Munster
    2014 Munster Senior Hurling Finalist.
    2014 AI Semi FInal, Disappointing Defeat to Kilkenny, competitive.
    2015 Disappointing Senior run.
    2016 Disappointing Senior run.

Waterford
    2013 Knocked out of Munster
    2013 AI Qualifiers, knocked out, all be it by KK
    2014 Knocked out of Munster
    2014 Knocked out of Qualifiers, by Wexford!
    2015 Munster Final, lost
    2015 AI Semi, lost
    2016 Munster Final, crushed
    2016 AI Semi Final, ......

So Senior Championship, Waterford have had 2 years of dominance over Limerick, but over the last 4 seasons, championship, Limerick have been the more successful team.

U21

Limerick
    2011 Munster Champions, lost to Galway (eventual winners)
    2012 Lost in Munster to Tipp
    2013 Lost in Munster to Tipp
    2014 Lost to Clare
    2015 ALL Ireland Champions

Waterford
    2011 Lost in Munster
    2012 Hammered by Clare
    2013 Lost in Munster to Clare
    2014 Lost to Cork
    2015 Lost to Clare
    2016 Munster Champions

Minor

Limerick
    2013 Munster Champions
    2014 Munster Champions, Losing AI Finalist
    2015 Lost Munster Final
    2016 Lost Munster Final (Still in AI Series)

Waterford
    2013 AI Champions
    2014 Lost Munster Final to Limerick
    2015 Knocked out in Munster by Limerick
    2016 Knocked out in Munster by Limerick

So to re-cap, Senior, more recent success in Munster, and better showings in AI Semi finals. U21, More recent success including and AI last year. Minor, 2 Munster championships vs 1 AI to Waterford. And ye come out with comments like those quoted above?

Enjoy yere success but a when ye show the need to attack other counties after ye have won something smacks of over compensation. You will get begrudgers and sore losers the whole time but the speed some posters here have dropped to the level of ridiculing other counties, WHO HAVE HAD MORE RECENT SUCCESS OVER THE 3 GRADES, shows little class.

Oh, and I didnt even bother going through the Club Series.

Maybe if Waterford too, had a population of 200,000 we might have had stronger teams?

I've been to intermediate & junior matches in Limerick. The difference in standard is incomparable. Two of the last three Munster Junior champions were Waterford sides. Fenor lost last years final to a Cork team.

Since 2002 Waterford have reached 10 Munster finals, winning four.
    Since 2002 Limerick have reached 3 Munster finals, winning one.
    Since 2002 Waterford have reached 11 AI semi finals, winning one (with another still to be played).
    Since 2002 Limerick have reached 4 AI semi finals, winning one.

Limerick City with a population of 100,000, has only one senior club.
    Waterford City with a population of 50,000 has four senior clubs.

Na Piarsaigh are the only club on the northside of the City. I think having a bigger pick than some counties may have something to do with them being AI club champions?

This was all started when Limerick posters came on a Waterford thread, reminding us of the senior Munster final, claiming that last years Limerick under 21 side was better than this years Waterford under 21 side, and furthermore that this years Limerick under 21 side would have beaten this Waterford under 21 side.

A normal poster would have simply congratulated the team on their Munster final victory.

As expected on this thread some people laughed at the stupidity of his posts, to which you took offence, and went on a pitiful rant.

Don't you have your one forums? Get lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

con89 wrote: »
    Maybe if Waterford too, had a population of 200,000 we might have had stronger teams?
    Haven't you heard that rugby is way bigger in Limerick city than GAA? Clown. When KK give ye an even bigger pasting than 2008 we'll be laughing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

How has Jack Fagan been doing for both De La Salle and Waterford? Has he been getting much game time?

Came on for the U21's the other night when the game was won. Haven't seen De La Salle this year yet so can't comment there

And the award for selective quotation goes to . . .

Haven't you heard that rugby is way bigger in Limerick city than GAA? Clown. When KK give ye an even bigger pasting than 2008 we'll be laughing :D

Pretty sad really. Least we get to play them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek and Co looked a bit worried near the end of the under 21 match when they showed them on tv

Surly they knw if things go pear shaped nxt Sunday then people will be out for there heads

The under 21 management team will deff get a crack at the senior setup someday

Heard that he is impressing but he is just coming back from injury so there is more to come from him

I put this piece from Monday Night Soccer about the Blues up on YouTube a while back. The answers to what sport to associate with Waterford are revealing, not just in terms of the answers but what the producers were looking for:

A mere 20 years ago, no one would have associated Waterford with hurling. Now, it's the alpha game here. I don't think Waterford GAA folk give themselves enough credit for the transformation that has been wrought.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

Im sorry but Sean Power will never be up to senior intercounty management. Nice guy and all as he is. Flynn would be a decent shout for coach/selector

JesusRef wrote: »

Heard that he is impressing but he is just coming back from injury so there is more to come from him
    Is he u21 again next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

That Soccer match was in 1980 - 36 years ago not 20 years ago. Waterford has always been a hurling city steeped in tradition, Mount Sion and Erins Own are two city clubs with hug tradition, we were just not a very successful one - and yes soccer was more followed for a period because of sucess but hurling always had a bigger core following. When Waterford got to the Munster Finals in 1982 and 1983 Thurles and Limerick were packed, 1989 we packed Parc ui Caoimh for the infamous Munster Final v Tipp. The minor Munster Final success and the U-21 All Ireland success of 1992 was the real catalyst for development, as young lads throughout the county saw what sucess was like and wanted to be a part of it - they started to believe they could acheive it. 1997 with the arrival of Ger McCarthy and the emergence of young talent such as Ken, Dan, Dave Bennett, Jame Murray who merged with the likes of Hartley, Flynn, Browne & Co., to forge a formidable team. For the first time in a long time we were getting a consisten crop of real youth mixed with those who had experienced winning and a change was in the air.

1998 was a year when we packed out Thurles for the League Final, Munster Final and Reply. We then packed Croke Park to face the Cats in a Semi Fnal that could have been ours and one wonders what would have hapened had we managed to win the AI that year. From there on while Waterford has not managed that elusive AI Ireland title, we have now for almost 20 years, evolved year after year to be a top four team, with few exceptions. KK are probably the only team to have managed this more consistently

Credit for this most go not only to the players that have lead the charge but the underage structures that were put in place and the work that was done. While we have hosted the Tony Forristal Tournament for over 30 years we have been reallycompetitive in it for the last 12 years. The net has widened and whilst we always had representaitons from the smaller clubs, this has increased dramatically.

While not being involved personally, I know better than most, the work and commitment done by those at the real grass roots. Victories like last Wednesday nght belong as much to these people as it does to current management and players. I hope they enjoyed it and I hope they savoured it because they deserve it. They are not in the limelight, they weren't up in the VIP section of the stand taking the plaudits, they don't do it for plaudits, they do it for the love of the game and for the love of their county. It is easy for the more sucessful, traditional counties to poke fun at "fist pumping and celebrating" but they do not know what it is like to suffer as much as these lads have, because if they did suffer to the extents that we have they would be truly glad for those who have worked so hard insted of begruding it. A starving man if offered food is likely to forget his manners and shuld be forgiven for that.

Long may the upward curve continue and please God some day in the not too distant future we wil celebrate the big one. it might only be one, but by God would we treasure it and celebrate it.

Deise ABu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

What do you be smoking Pth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

blueflame wrote: »
    1998 was a year when we packed out Thurles for the League Final, Munster Final and Reply. We then packed Croke Park to face the Cats in a Semi Fnal that could have been ours and one wonders what would have hapened had we managed to win the AI that year. From there on while Waterford has not managed that elusive AI Ireland title, we have now for almost 20 years, evolved year after year to be a top four team, with few exceptions. KK are probably the only team to have managed this more consistently

Deise ABu

Hard to believe 98 isn't far off 20 years. I can still vividly remember seeing Frampton creaming Leahy in Cork, which is probably one of my favourite moments ever to witness watching Waterford. Traffic that day was shocking as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any takers for the Semi final next sunday ???

Hogan Stand Hospitality Package:

Secure your lower Hogan ticket and upgrade your day with a hospitality package for only €185.00 per person
    Included in the Package:
    Lower Hogan tickets – Section 328/327
    Casual buffet
    Full complementary bar that runs until 1 hour after the main game.
    Private area that hold up to a mx of 100 guests – Area will have TV’s showing game, private bar and also features a glass wall so that the game is viewable at all times.

if i got a free ticket for this section id take it but its awful expensive to buy and not worth it if youre driving home after the game

for people who buy these things, would they not be better off in the pub watching it if they want to drink and eat heavily ???

There was a hen night or something from Wexford in Thurles last sunday who stayed in the bar area for the whole game and asked people the score, had **** all interest in being there and would of been better too of stayed in the pub and watch the game lol

Another thing to remember from that day in 1998 was Paul Flynn going through the Tipp defence in the second half like a hot knife through butter. On The Sunday Game that evening they highlighted Paul Shelly whispering sweet nothings into Flynn's ear at every turn. He must have been talking about the weather or the ongoing troubles in Chechnya though, because thanks to the helpful advice of our betters in the last couple of days we know it is only Waterford players who get up to any kind of verbal skulduggery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Derek and Co looked a bit worried near the end of the under 21 match when they showed them on tv

Surly they knw if things go pear shaped nxt Sunday then people will be out for there heads

They showed them at the same time Bennett and Aussie were both on the ground.

But no you're probably right, they must be living in almighty fear of the chop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

deise_boi wrote: »

But no you're probably right, they must be living in almighty fear of the chop :rolleyes:

I would say there's a good chance that Sunday week could be their last game in charge...

blueflame wrote: »

You're right. Only Kilkenny and Tipperary have reached more AI semi finals since the introduction of the qualifiers prior to the 1997 championship.
    1.Kilkenny 19 (2013 the only exception)
    2.Tipperary 12
    3.Waterford 11
    4.Cork 10
    5.Clare 7
    6.Galway 6
    7.Wexford 5
    8.Limerick 4
    9.Offaly 3
    10.Dublin 2

Tipp reach the semi (and the final) in 1997, so from 1998, we've had just as much success as them in getting in to the final four.

A negative being we've only reached one final, compared to six each for Tipperary (possibly seven in September) and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 premiertipp

Just want to say most real Tipp supporters congratulated the Waterford U21s on Wed night. We had no great expectations on the night and were given a master class by Austen Gleeson in the second half. I think ye will go the whole way.. .history is with ye.. The last four winners in Munster went on to win in September. As I'm married to a Deise man I hope we'll both be celebrating in Sept... Tipp on the 4th and Waterford on the 10th!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Have a 5yr old showing an interest in hurling. Any clubs his age training tomorrow morning (sat 30 jul)I can bring him and show him the craic?

Have a 5yr old showing an interest in hurling. Any clubs his age training tomorrow morning (sat 30 jul)I can bring him and show him the craic?

What part of the county? Who do his friends from school play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

JesusRef wrote: »
    What part of the county? Who do his friends from school play with?

Jeez sorry totally forgot... City clubs...a few of the older lads/lass' in the area play with DLS.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    u21 has been a disaster for a good few years considering the individually talented players that have come through.

2012 we were hammered out the gate, many of that team are now the Waterford senior team so looking back on it was a shambles. 2013 indiscipline let us down, we had the beatings of Clare until a guy already on a yellow card made a stupid pull that you'd slaughter an u12 for doing. He was sent off and Clare pulled away. 2014, beaten by a 14 man Cork side that was supposedly one of their worst u21 sides in history. Last year wasn't much better. We got revenge on Cork but were well beaten by a Clare side that had very few left from their all conquering u21 team so really there should have been no excuses.

I'm actually surprised that we got it together this year.

I agree with you. But a lot of those teams mentioned had bad management imo. shocking when lost to a poor Cork side Side at home. I can still remember paudie prendry getting sent off and that was the turning point of that game. Clare were at the height of power at that stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement