Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

A link to Crottys Lake preview of match. A good read.
    h**ps://fourmileracing.wordpress.com/
    replace** with tt
    Can somebody with user priviliges put up proper link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cascade12 wrote: »
    A link to Crottys Lake preview of match. A good read.
    h**ps://fourmileracing.wordpress.com/
    replace** with tt
    Can somebody with user priviliges put up proper link.

Its not a bad read so link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't think the team will deviate much from that named tbh, mainly just positional switches here and there. I think we would all have been surprised if Fives and/or Daniels started, not saying they couldn't but I reckon we'll see them at some stage on Sunday. Two very nice options to come off the bench.
    Can't wait for Sunday now, nerves building already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

What's ryan like as a defender? Strengths, etc

Tough as Teak like his father Liam who played Football for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Cake Man wrote: »
    Don't think the team will deviate much from that named tbh, mainly just positional switches here and there. I think we would all have been surprised if Fives and/or Daniels started, not saying they couldn't but I reckon we'll see them at some stage on Sunday. Two very nice options to come off the bench.
    Can't wait for Sunday now, nerves building already!

You have some hope of seeing Daniels but I would imagine we won't see Fives. He hasn't been involved for a longtime so I can't imagine they'll throw him into the thick of it with no games under his belt.
    How do people think Barron will do on Harnedy if as expected he picks him up when De Burca drops deeper? The closer it gets the more confident im getting because I think McGrath will have a game plan to get at that fullback line where Dunford especially can go to town on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

archieknox wrote: »
    You have some hope of seeing Daniels but I would imagine we won't see Fives. He hasn't been involved for a longtime so I can't imagine they'll throw him into the thick of it with no games under his belt.
    How do people think Barron will do on Harnedy if as expected he picks him up when De Burca drops deeper? The closer it gets the more confident im getting because I think McGrath will have a game plan to get at that fullback line where Dunford especially can go to town on them.

Barron has probably been our best player in the league so you'd imagine he should do well. Harnedy is a class player though. Cadogan, Horgan and Lehane are all equally talented so the whole back line will be kept busy.

I'd still have a bit of fear about Coughlan but apart from that we look solid. Full back really is a thankless job. You only get remembered for your mistakes. I haven't seen a whole lot of the lad though so it's probably unfair of me to judge him.

The way we are set up I'm not sure McGrath can really have that much of a plan to target the Cork full back line because they will always have extra support there. We just have to take every sniff of a chance we get and Dunford has a good eye for a goal.

When is the team being named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

redlead wrote: »
    Barron has probably been our best player in the league so you'd imagine he should do well. Harnedy is a class player though. Cadogan, Horgan and Lehane are all equally talented so the whole back line will be kept busy.

I'd still have a bit of fear about Coughlan but apart from that we look solid. Full back really is a thankless job. You only get remembered for your mistakes. I haven't seen a whole lot of the lad though so it's probably unfair of me to judge him.

The way we are set up I'm not sure McGrath can really have that much of a plan to target the Cork full back line because they will always have extra support there. We just have to take every sniff of a chance we get and Dunford has a good eye for a goal.

When is the team being named?
    Last night, was posted here. Unchanged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

logbox wrote: »
    Tough as Teak like his father Liam who played Football for Waterford.

How many of these Cork players ha e Waterford lineage?

Aidan Walsh,
    Lima ryan,
    Harnedy (?)
    Luke Farrell
    I think all have a parent from the deise... We are practically holding them up at this stage

Played half forward for midelton county win two years ago and captain and made cork club team year

Strong under high ball can hurl both sides and has good presence and physical
    Twenty nine and six foot three
    Was cork under twenty one team munster championship winners eight years ago and half back and played minor senior cork under strike and two games Denis Walsh

Went Australia bit

He's good reader and weaknesses imo lacks bit pace so man may get few points but once cork don't conceded goals wouldn't bother me
    He stands tall rarely allows man clear goal chances

Huge test Sunday considered only played Laois challenge centre and full v KK but dome well last week
    Was back playing center back midelton league this year as jerry Wallis brought him out forwards brought peter dowling back to full back and put half back Jamie nagle half forward

Huge test Sunday so well know more then but worth try and it's risky but no more than o Neill or Mcdonnell

Thanks TTM sounds like he is jettisoned in to deal with shanahan tomorrow a lack of pace won't be exposed with O'Neill and Mcdonnell beside him.... Although I still have question marks about McDonnell, started like a train last year but some of his decision making in the Tipp game and the cork county final would make me think he has poor concentration or too lax an attitude

I attended the Waterford v Cork league final in 98 - the last time we met in the final... My memories of that day were that Fergal Hartley was amazing... But that on the other end of the field Brian Corcoran was better... We played outstanding and lost, Other than that my only memory was I think fergal McCormack goaled for Cork.

I remember the disappointment... I remember thinking no matter how good we were, no matter how our big men played that they would always play better and we could never beat... We were 'only waterford' but cork were cork... That red jersey, all that tradition - they lived on another planet and it was one that we would never inhabit.

How times have changed, in the intervening years the mystique of the Cork Jersey is not there anymore, a new breed now expect close games that can go either way and that we can beat cork as much as they beat us.
    The Blue and White clashing with the Red and White have given us some of the best days from the wonderful game.. What a privilege it was to witness it.
    Cork will always believe they are better then us I don't think we will ever believe it again... They are no longer from a different planet and the hurlers from both counties are exposed to each other from a young age across all the prestigious competitions.
    Hurling has never been this strong at underage levels in Waterford - the clubs the schools - I believe we are on the cusp of the best days, hopefully Sunday is the start... If not it will be another day... Waterford are here to stay.
    Thinking of 98 almost brings a tear to my eye.. Mention a year to a Waterford supporter and they know exactly what you mean, like when you say '92 or '98, 2004.
    I will never forget 98... As long as I live, so many firsts... Defeating Tipp when we were still considered nothing... The Clare epic... The first trip to Croke Park and a win against Galway.... The heartbreak against Kilkenny... But it was birth of he hop and the belief, which had never existed before...
    Ok now I am crying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

How many of these Cork players ha e Waterford lineage?

Aidan Walsh,
    Lima ryan,
    Harnedy (?)
    Luke Farrell
    I think all have a parent from the deise... We are practically holding them up at this stage

Didnt know aidan walsh did. Knew about harnedy alright his father is a shamrocks man from knockanore. Played for waterford in the 80s if im not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Jasus Tyrion you getting emotional there... Yea the 98 final, both Hartley and Corcoran gave exhibitions that day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Wonder is Tom Kelly going to the match tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Pos087

As a cork man I will start by saying May the best team win. I think it will go down to a puck of a ball. I am wondering what do Waterford people think of gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Pos087 wrote: »
    As a cork man I will start by saying May the best team win. I think it will go down to a puck of a ball. I am wondering what do Waterford people think of gleeson
    Average hurler, lucky to be on the squad imo, I'd say he's related to Mcgrath or something

Very talented but a lot to learn, could be a liability in the half back line if he doesn't tidy up his lazy tackling, soloing 50 yards into trouble, and driving the ball wide from 100 yards (worryingly what was being said when he was minor)

But he is outrageously talented - can get you out of your seat and win a game on his own on his day, he has the ability to be a multiple all star and a huge player

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Pos087

Very talented but a lot to learn, could be a liability in the half back line if he doesn't tidy up his lazy tackling, soloing 50 yards into trouble, and driving the ball wide from 100 yards (worryingly what was being said when he was minor)

But he is outrageously talented - can get you out of your seat and win a game on his own on his day, he has the ability to be a multiple all star and a huge player

I have not seen him play in person but looks very impressive on tele. Cork forwards are not known for tracking back so could be a huge advantage when Waterford have the ball breaking from the midfield. Not to sure what he will be like on the half back line. As a hurling fan it would be great if he had a free roll and try dictate the game but might be a bit young for that roll. If it's a battle through out I fancy Waterford but if it's free scoring point for point you would have to fancy cork. This game will be won from the side line. which every management can dominate their game plan should win. See ye all Sunday. up the rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I have not seen him play in person but looks very impressive on tele. Cork forwards are not known for tracking back so could be a huge advantage when Waterford have the ball breaking from the midfield. Not to sure what he will be like on the half back line. As a hurling fan it would be great if he had a free roll and try dictate the game but might be a bit young for that roll. If it's a battle through out I fancy Waterford but if it's free scoring point for point you would have to fancy cork. This game will be won from the side line. which every management can dominate their game plan should win. See ye all Sunday. up the rebels
    That's incorrect this year cork don't track back and horgan Walsh lehane all said improvement in tracking back tacking and work ethic from forwards by input landers this year
    Been huge improvement all games since KK this year even challenges also I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 3-10 Laois 2-5

Waterford’s camogie team emulated their male counterparts by getting into the top division in the camogie league following their fine victory over Laois in the Division 2 final in Carlow today.

The game was badly affected by the unseasonal perishing rain which fell throughout the game, although thankfully we did not have the driving rain which other parts of the country experienced. The players took a while to adopt to the conditions which saw a lot of dropped balls, poor ball control, slipping and sliding, etc. However, once Waterford gained control in the second half they did play some excellent hurling, given the conditions.

Waterford had first use of the significant wind and went two points up from early Patricia Jackman frees. However, they were rocked when Laois got in for a goal after just five minutes. Laois, powered by seven Camross players and managed by former county hurler David Cuddy, were causing Waterford some trouble in the middle third with their close handpassing game but could make little impression on the scoreboard playing into the wind.

With centre back Jennie Simpson and right corner back Vikki Falconer doing some excellent work, Waterford were getting some good ball into the forwards, mainly through some great long balls from midfielder Jackson. However, the Laois defence, led by full back Rosemary Bermingham, generally had the upper hand on their opponents. A lot of misplaced passes were also undermining Waterford’s efforts.

A further free by Patricia Jackman levelled matters after 15 minutes, and shortly afterwards wing forward Beth Carton put Waterford ahead. A Laois free restored parity, until a late point by Lorraine Bray sent Waterford in at half time leading by one point, 0-5 to 1-1. Given the low scoring and tightness of the exchanges, one wondered would Waterford regret a shot which hit the butt of the Laois goalpost and another shot for a point which went wide off an upright. Waterford also hit a couple of narrow wides from good positions.

Whatever was said in the Waterford dressing room at half time, they were a completely different team after the change of ends. They lifted themselves to a new level which Laois were simply unable to match. Full back Claire Whyte had a marvellous second half, Falconer and Simpson continued their good work, while Patricia Jackman, already prominent in the first half, became completely dominant in midfield.

However, it was in the half forward line that the real improvement was effected, with right half forward Lorraine Bray having a terrific thirty minutes, repeatedly running at the Laois defence, centre forward putting in a big shift and right half forward notching two crucial goals. Mention should also be made of corner forward Dawn Power who hit two good points and substitute Niamh Rockett, whose goal finally put the game beyond Laois’s reach.

Carton’s first goal came just two minutes after the restart, with another Jackman free pushing Waterford five points ahead. Just as we were thinking how important it was for Waterford not to concede a goal at this stage that is exactly what they did, with Laois’s long-striking centre back Sarah Ann Fitzgerald sending a long-distance free all the way to the net. Laois followed up quickly with a point which reduced the deficit to a single point again (1-6 to 2-2).

At this stage we feared that, playing with the wind and with their tails up, Laois would seize the initiative. However, Waterford now began to take control of the game, with some excellent interplay in the forwards creating scoring chances. Beth Carton’s second goal in the 42nd minute put them four points ahead, and while Laois got a point back, Niamh Rockett’s superb 48th minute flick stretched the Déise lead to six points and they were now in the driving seat (3-6 to 2-3).

Laois redoubled their efforts but could get little change from the Waterford defence, with goalkeeper Deirdre Brennan dealing very capably with a number of awkward balls that came her way. At the other end, Dawn Power’s two points and two more converted frees by Jackman sealed out the victory. Laois had one last chance of a goal, but Fitzgerald’s powerful shot from a close-in free flew narrowly over the bar to leave Waterford very deserving Division 2 champions by a score of 3-10 to 2-5.

A signficant feature of this Waterford victory was the important contributions of their three second half substitutes, Rockett, Iona Heffernan (who did a lot of good work in midfield) and Claire Murphy. Laois had nothing comparable on their sideline. A further interesting feature of the team is that it contained only two players from Lismore, the dominant club in the county, last year’s All-Ireland intermediate champions and this year’s defeated finalists.

Waterford now move up to Division 1 of the Camogie League. I do not remember them playing at this level before (but I could be wrong).

Waterford: Deirdre Brennan (Butlerstown); Vikki Falconer (Butlerstown); Claire Whyte (St. Anne’s); Emma Hannon (Gailltír); Kate McMahon (Butlerstown); Jennie Simpson (St. Anne’s); Jenny McCarthy (Cappoquin); Nicola Morrissey (Lismore); Patricia Jackman (Gailltír, 0-6, all frees); Lorraine Bray (Cappoquin, 0-1); Valerie O’Brien (Roanmore); Beth Carton (De La Salle, 2-1); Molly Curran (Brickey Rangers); Caitríona McGlone (Lismore); Dawn Power (Dungarvan, 0-2).

Substitutes: Niamh Rockett (St. Anne’s, 1-0) for Curran; Iona Heffernan (Ferrybank) for Morrissey); Claire Murphy (St. Anne’s) for McMahon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our Team & Management tomorrow

UP THE DEISE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Up early to put on the ribs. Good luck to the lads today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Greetings from. Thurles just to let you know weather is clearing and sun is shining after what was a miserable night ground might be a bit soft from the over night rain but never too much of a prob in Semple .temperature mild enough but not cold if rain stays off should make fr a good game but wouldn't expect to many run on balls

But sure of it ends up a washout what harm last that happened against cork we brought home a Munster title.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Up early to put on the ribs. Good luck to the lads today

What your thoughts on the game how it will go who will win today please Kevin
    I'd like to know as twice you quite rightly reminded me I was wrong in cork waterford football and tipp waterford straight after the games but you never imo really call the games yourself so it be nice to hear your views and
    You're pre match thoughts please
    Enjoy the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/waterford-crystalise-youthful-promise-in-renewed-senior-challenge-1.2192232

Thought this was a good article by Sean Moran. Nothing new learned as such but at least he dug a bit under the surface to explain why Waterford are making strides. And nice to see the recognition of the performances at Senior and how those predicting doom (himself included I might add) for Waterford have been wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

anyone know where i can watch the match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

tg4 player

Semple stadium throw in at 3.30

What your thoughts on the game how it will go who will win today please Kevin
    I'd like to know as twice you quite rightly reminded me I was wrong in cork waterford football and tipp waterford straight after the games but you never imo really call the games yourself so it be nice to hear your views and
    You're pre match thoughts please
    Enjoy the game.

Can you you please stop putting IMO into your posts

IMO its very annoying if IMO this happens as Imo it breaks the structure of the sentence and IMO adds nothing .IMO if you didn't include it the message would be the same and IMO you would save us all a lot of time

The very best of luck to all involved today. Would be fantastic to pick up another national league title. Really can't call the game, we'll need a big effort from 18-20 players and a bit of luck as well. Go on the lads!

UP THE DÉISE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Maurice Shanahan 18/1 for man of the match, worth a few bob.

cant wait now, up the Deise!

• Advertisement

Galway beat cork 18 21 hopefully a good omen send them home with nathin

Is the match on tg4 ? Using Irish Ip but all that I can see live is basketball!

So far so good anyway, working like dogs and restricting Cork to very little. If you offered me Cork only scoring 7 pts in the first half I'd have taken the hand off you. Keep it going lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Some bad wides from both sides. Harnedy has some hand on him. Some tackling from Waterford defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Waterford going well but should probably be another point or two in front. Austin Gleeson just out of this world, what a hurler he is. Noel Connors, Kevin Moran and Brick superb too. Dunford very busy but has to use the ball better.

But, it's not easy to watch that syle of play, Maurice seems to be the only forward inside the Cork 45 a lot of the time. So defensive, and it's leading to a lad of "hurling tennis" as both teams have extra men at the back due to Waterford playing with 4 of their forwards on their goal side of midfield.

It's working well so far but I'm not enjoying it. I still fancy Cork's better forwards to ultimately carry the day.

Some bad wides from both sides. Harnedy has some hand on him. Some tackling from Waterford defenders.

Waterford to do what I said all week and win as cork immensity hunger was officially and as said cork were mot going go full tilt and clare as day cork aren't going all out and I can't see cork changing attuode second half
    Pretty much as I expected all week and I wouldn't be shocked cork fell away second half as no hunger for this

All eyes on June

Hon Tom Devine boy!

Congratulations lads on yere win
    We'll deserves on the day the hungry and on the day itself was the better teams won
    As I said all week ye would win and while I thought it'd be closer I knew and posted at half time cork could fall away ay and I said it don't be shocked cork fall away

June can't come fast enough
    The slow delay cork subs they ones did come on imo showed cork lacked intent today
    Waterford are very good at their system to be fair but the hand has been well and truly showed now and cork fully now know what to expect

In disappointed cork weren't closer and more competitive but the second half they had no hunger for the battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I wonder if Harnedy has done his hamstring there - it would be a big blow for Cork for the championship game, he is the one Cork forward that really has caused us problems today

Congratulations lads on yere win
    We'll deserves on the day the hungry and on the day itself was the better teams won
    As I said all week ye would win and while I thought it'd be closer I knew and posted at half time cork could fall away ay and I said it don't be shocked cork fall away

June can't come fast enough
    The slow delay cork subs they ones did come on imo showed cork lacked intent today
    Waterford are very good at their system to be fair but the hand has been well and truly showed now and cork fully now know what to expect

In disappointed cork weren't closer and more competitive but the second half they had no hunger for the battle

Ah ya TTM, we've showed our hand now and havn't a hope in the championship

• Advertisement

Well done lads, absolutely delighted with that. 5 weeks time will be different but let's enjoy this, not often we destroy any Cork team. Fair play to all the team and management, league champs 2015:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Good win but not easy to watch at times.

Fair play lads, delighted for Maurice.

Barron, Moran, Brick de burke immense.

Congrats to all the management team and all players, great start to the hurling year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ha ha go way out of it, Cork knew full well what to expect before this game. Waterford "showed their hand" all through the league.

Good win but not easy to watch at times.

Trouble with your TV ?

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Ah ya TTM, we've showed our hand now and havn't a hope in the championship

Looking I said this all week and half time
    And it went exactly as I thought
    Never said ye don't have a hope in fact this is great for ye and mcgrath deserves credit yes but there is a big difference to beat cork who clear as day were lethargic with no hunger and I said this would happen as I know exactly what cork training was like the last two week

Yes talk was cork wanted it but look June will see a different cork
    If ye can improve more fair enough but have no doubt cork have a score to settle in June and that's one they wanted
    Ye won the battle but it's the war cork want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Congrats lads, completely deserved, there was only one team at the races today.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Maurice Shanahan 18/1 for man of the match, worth a few bob.

cant wait now, up the Deise!

Great bet - he had a great 2nd half and if those two shots from the right hand touchline had gone over instead of wide he might have got it. I'd imagine Jamie Barron will be first in line with Brick not too far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Great bet - he had a great 2nd half and if those two shots from the right hand touchline had gone over instead of wide he might have got it. I'd imagine Jamie Barron will be first in line with Brick not too far behind.

Think Kevin Moran won it.

Would have given it to Barron myself. Is he still U-21? Might be worth a few euro for YPOTY, although clearly he's not as much of a media favourite as the likes of Austin Gleeson. But his work rate is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

I think its probably the worst thing possible for Waterford winning the league when it comes to Championship hopes as the inevitable complacency creeps in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement