Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

If sorry but if you look at Conor Prunty, you know the 20 year old whos 6ft 5 and 16 stone? Yeah him. He will be starting come championship. Guarantee. Anyone who knows him or knows of him knows he's an animal, hes bigger and stronger than the entire team already, and his hurling is top notch. He could be the countys answer too the full back problem. Problem is he can play anywhere 2-15. I think anyone whos been clued in on his development can vouch that statement! He will be starting somewhere in the backs come championship!

Easy there tiger, hes not even starting on the CIT Fitzgibbon team. Big and mobile fair enough but to say his hurling his top notch without having him tested at senior intercounty is stretching it, bit more development required yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    1. SOK
    2. D Fives 3. C Gleeson 4. N Connors
    5. M Harney 6. T D Burca 7. S Fives
    8. J Barron 9. K Moran
    10. Shane Bennett 11. Austin Gleason 12. P Mahony
    13. P Curran 14. M Shannahan 15. St Bennett
    From 8-15 there looks really good but I'd have to find a place for Brick as he offers a lot and his experience is invaluable. The problem is accommodating Brick means having to either move Aussie back to 6 or drop someone. The Bennetts are in good form, Paudie works hard and is on the frees while Shan and Curran are some of our best chances of getting goals. It's a tough one.

Would it be worth trying Tadgh at full back? This could allow Aussie to 6, D.Fives to 5, S.Fives to 2 and one of Philip Mahony/Harney/Conor Gleeson at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

If sorry but if you look at Conor Prunty, you know the 20 year old whos 6ft 5 and 16 stone? Yeah him. He will be starting come championship. Guarantee. Anyone who knows him or knows of him knows he's an animal, hes bigger and stronger than the entire team already, and his hurling is top notch. He could be the countys answer too the full back problem. Problem is he can play anywhere 2-15. I think anyone whos been clued in on his development can vouch that statement! He will be starting somewhere in the backs come championship!

Look size alone means he will get a stint in the team eventually and he certainly has potential but if you are saying he can play anywhere from 2-15 at inter county level - he cant. Also his hurling isnt top notch - no insult to him but I wouldnt say that about the Bennetts (Stephen uses his hurley too much for balls in the air, is too reliant on his left side and can stop up when striking, Shane can run too much with the ball and doesnt see what is around him when soloing) hopefully he can do a job full back but it is the most demanding position at intercounty

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Stephan O Keeffe is one of the best shot stoppers in the game but as you said his distribution isn't up to the same standard as other top keepers imo. The problem though for me is that a keepers ability to find a player and keep possession in the modern game is just as important if not more so than shot stopping.

Ya Soky simply isnt one of the best goalies in the game - a good shot stopper but the forwards are so good at inter county he rarely makes a save anyway - A goalie with a good puck out, a good organiser, decision maker and catcher should get in before a shot stopper any day

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eastwestlad

JesusRef wrote: »
    Look size alone means he will get a stint in the team eventually and he certainly has potential but if you are saying he can play anywhere from 2-15 at inter county level - he cant. Also his hurling isnt top notch - no insult to him but I wouldnt say that about the Bennetts (Stephen uses his hurley too much for balls in the air, is too reliant on his left side and can stop up when striking, Shane can run too much with the ball and doesnt see what is around him when soloing) hopefully he can do a job full back but it is the most demanding position at intercounty

Its a valid point, but you cant compare forwards to back in sports really. The Bennetts are better strikers and carries of the ball but backs have different skill sets. Ive never seen a 6ft 5, 16 stone player who can play wing back to that ability. I do think personally he possesses the ability to play 2-15, not saying he should start corner back but he can play full, centre, wing and midfield and he wouldnt look out of place in the forwards. He is an athlete really, a great dual player cause of that. I do think his future lays in full back for waterford, atleast until a better full back comes along. What ive found with him is his work rate tends to get him into every team's XV. Being on the bench and not the main man will be an adjustment for him too make. There are some players that need to be wrapped in cotton wool and coddled, and get introduced bit by bit to a higher level of ball. But then you have players, in my opinion like Conor, who thrive off being one of the main men and the main XV. There are better to throw some players into the deep end and let them swim. Great hurler however, he has never been a sub. He's the type of player you either start or dont select in my opinion. Bold statement but I think it can be said about alot of players in sport. Its a statement in my opinion that he needs to work on his teamwork because i remember watching him at underage and people said he likes getting things his own way. No offence to conor, this meant be him. It is only the perception i have gather but i think some can verify this. He is a great personality to have but I think based on his performances so far in a waterford jersey he will show it in the league why he will start come championship. I dont think anyone will be rooting against him starting, he has the ability. I think he can fill the whole we have at full back. As a great coach in Dublin once told me, the league never lies! Im not too worried about our chances this year. I think the main target should be bringing home the munster trophy. I think lads on this forum are jumping the gun with all ireland talk. Let's focus on munster. Win munster, avoid kilkenny and lets talk then. We havent brought home a munster title since 2010? and we have all ireland talk. Lets focus on the semi final first, then lets focus on the final. Then lets focus on an ail semi and then the final. We are renouned for jumping the gun. Its great to be ambitious. Joe Schmidt isnt even focusing on a six nations victory. He is focusing on a top two finish, winning every game and being competitive. This year is year two on a five year journey in my opinion. Brass tax, blind luck or a sly red card will be required to gun down Tipp and Kilkenny. Look, were one of the top four sides in the country. If this was football we'd be happy being in croke park every year. Relax. Our time will come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Your jumping the gun there on Conor Prunty, His hurling is no where near good enough to be on that Waterford team yet. All he has played is one years u21. He would be better off in the short term to nail down a fitzgibbon place with CIT and focus on the U21 next year and establish himself more on the club senior scenes (I think he has 2 years left u21). Yeah he has the size alright but id defiantly give it atleast another year before i brought him into the senior setup and leave his hurling develop more. His hurling needs to improve about 60-70 percent before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i knw its very early to talk about the championship but unless Cork surprise Tipp next may in the Munster QF, were looking at facing a daunting test in the munster semi final against Tipp (in either the GG in Limerick or Thurles), hell if Cork can beat Tipp they wont be a walk in the park either. Get to a munster final (mim from there is the All ireland QFS) and face either Limerick or Clare, we lose the munster semi final and its the dreaded Qualifer route where we have to win 2 games to get to the All Ireland QFs.

The leinster semis will be Kilkenny vs Wexford (who play one of the Grp winners) and Galway/Dublin vs Offaly/Grp winner. I imagine it could be another Kilkenny vs Galway final but Wexford/Dublin might be there too

A defeat for Waterford in the Qualifers/Possibly QFs will end Derek Mcgraths reign as Manager but in fairness the management options may be scarce going into 2018, A big name like Donal Og Cusack etc will get the money driven Dublin hurling job, A lot of other intercounty managers will still be with there teams. Sean Power and co seem to be favourites to be the next senior management team as they won Minor and u21 All Irelands recently and would know a lot of the current crop.

anyway its the league time of the year and im looking forward to the games and trips to Kilkenny and Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Those are reasonable questions by the very intelligent Giveitfong and deserve serious discussion. My views are that Stephen Bennett ould have been asked by Derek if he wanted to play given that he had such a light season last year. I think he is getting him ready to be our full forward for the League campaign with a view to the Championship. After all he is the one of the best forwards in the entire country and he does seem to moving a lot better this time round. No problems there.

I expect he is using Shane to build up his confidence after a quiet end to the Championship for him last year. Again, this is a good idea if that is the case.

I do not know why Keiran did not start both games as he is very talented and this is the time to try him out.

There is a lot of balderdash spoken about games this time of year. With the exception of the above of course this is the time to try out players. There is no point whatsoever in starting seven or eight of the established seniors in these matches. There is nothing to be gained at all. We all know what they can do. We want them fresh or August and hopefully September not on cold freezing days in January that nobody will remember come Summer.

The Roanmore angle is perfectly natural as all new selectors like to give a few of their own players a chance and in fairness they have showed up well. Nothing wrong there.

The Billy Nolan question is very valid. He is a great talent but this is the time to be giving him match practice as a goalkeeper, no question.

I have been impressed by Shane and Colm Roche plus Ian Kenny and a few more of the lads in the games so far. I hope to see more of them tried today. As for the league I hope we do not kill our Championship hopes as the fresh horse nearly always win the race, remember last year ......

there is no basis for a claim like that. he has nothing done at senior level

and players as well
    picking lads from your own club to give them a go is not natural at all. once they come into a senior set up they have no club they are simply Waterford players when it comes to selection. any deviation of any kind from that is the hole in the dyke of squad cohesion

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Easy there tiger, hes not even starting on the CIT Fitzgibbon team. Big and mobile fair enough but to say his hurling his top notch without having him tested at senior intercounty is stretching it, bit more development required yet.

so far he has just played well on an utterly dominant under 21 team.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Ahascragh Fohenagh 1-17 Lismore 0-13

A poor all-round performance saw Lismore slump disappointingly to defeat to Ahascragh Fohenagh in the All-Ireland Intermediate club championship semi-final in Tullamore today. The game was played in wet conditions on soft underfoot conditions made worse by the preceding junior semi-final. There were 3,444 paying customers, a large number of whom left the ground after the first game.

There was a general systems failure here on Lismore’s part, and it would be hard to identify one of their players who had a good game, although I thought their full back line fought admirably all through. Probably the biggest problem for Lismore was the failure of their half back line to exert the kind of control which we saw in earlier games during the year.

A second major problem for them was a simplistic game plan involving hitting as many long balls into the opposition goal area as possible, in the hope that Dan Shanahan would inflict some damage inside. In the first half, playing into the breeze, too many of these fell short and were gobbled up by the Ahascragh half backs, especially their powerful centre back Pádraig Mannion. However, even in the second half, this persistent tactic never once produced a scoring chance, as Shanahan’s double markers repeatedly denied Dan clean possession.

Ahascragh were a better organised side with a good game plan involving good passing movements with a clear emphasis on getting possession to their other county player, Cathal Mannion, who gave a towering performance, especially in the second half. He ended up with twelve points, four of them from play.

Even then, Lismore created more than enough scoring chances to win this game. They hit 14 wides to Ahascragh’s six, three of which came in the closing stages when they had the game won. While Maurice Shanahan did convert eight frees, he also sent four wide, and had the misfortune to hit the crossbar from a 20 metre free midway through the second half. He also failed to score from four further attempts at goals from close-in frees in the last five minutes. The frustration finally got the better of him, and he received a straight red following a skirmish in the closing minutes. I thought myself that Ray Barry might have had a shot from one or two of these frees.

The first half was fairly evenly contested, with both teams having their periods of dominance. Jack Prendergast started well for Lismore, with Maurice also causing problems down the left wing. Lismore got their only clear goal chance in the 20th minute, but Prendergast’s well-struck shot was well stopped by the Ahascragh goalkeeper.

Ahascragh’s goal in the 26th minute was something of a disaster for Lismore. A long ball into the Lismore goal area broke behind the defence, but they had two or three defenders in position to clear the danger. However, one of them seemed to panic, sending a mis-hit clearance across his own goal to the unmarked Luke Cosgrove who finished gratefully to the net. This goal was to prove an anchor around Lismore’s neck for the rest of the game.

With the wind assistance to come in the second half, Lismore’s half-time deficit of four points (1-10 to 0-9) seemed quite retrievable. However, a series of bad wides sucked the life out of them while at the same time putting additional wind into Ahascragh’s sails, as reflected in the number of times they emerged with the ball out of rucks, with their supporters’ cheers giving them extra momentum.

Lismore dominated the closing stages as they desperately sought to save the game, but in the mucky conditions, and with Ahascragh packing their defence, the goal they desperately needed never materialised. A goal from one of the late series of close frees might have changed things, but it was not forthcoming.

Lismore: Seanie Barry; Stevie Barry; David Prendergast; Pat Hennessy; Eoin Bennett; Ray Barry; Paudie Prendergast; John Prendergast (0-2); Jordan Shanahan; Brendan Landers (0-1); Jack Prendergast (0-1); Maurice Shanahan (0-9, 0-8 frees); Peter O’Keeffe; Dan Shanahan; Brian Bennett.

Subs: Anthony McGlone for Brian Bennett; Seán Reaney for Jordan Shanahan; Ronan Landers for Peter O’Keeffe; Aaron Whelan for Brendan Landers.

would he not have been better off hitting them over the bar?

the string of scores alone could have caused a little bit of panic

• Advertisement

I dont thinks its unreasonable to expect imptovement yeat on year???
    Esp with age profile of panel hes gotten....a year going backwards is a year too much
    (why woulf anyone want to see us going backwards??)

I wanna see waterford win out an all oreland at some stage.....possibly think the u21 manager should get a look in???

Waterford may not have won the all Ireland last year but equally they didn't get to play limerick and cork like we did in 2013.

Unless he makes some drastic errors I think its premature to be removing him in favour of an under 21 manager who we can only say for certain was in the right job at the right time. if Waterford win another under 21 all Ireland then maybe that conversation can start.
    After we beat that team in 2015 in Ennis Waterford could have appointed panti Bliss and they would have won it out considering the squad available.

Waterford may not have won the all Ireland last year but equally they didn't get to play limerick and cork like we did in 2013.

Unless he makes some drastic errors I think its premature to be removing him in favour of an under 21 manager who we can only say for certain was in the right job at the right time. if Waterford win another under 21 all Ireland then maybe that conversation can start.
    After we beat that team in 2015 in Ennis Waterford could have appointed panti Bliss and they would have won it out considering the squad available.

2015 was a lost opportunity for Waterford in the under 21 as we had a huge bulk of the 2016 team and guys like TDB, Jamie Barron and Colin Dunford too but the management team of that year employed horrible tactics that didn't work. We did beat Cork well that year but bad management cost us against Clare . You could say the same for 2014 when a star studded under 21 team lost at home to a weak cork side in the semi final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Slightly dwgenerating the u21 management as its not inconceivable they under achived a bit on winnibg only 1 all ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2015 was a lost opportunity for Waterford in the under 21 as we had a huge bulk of the 2016 team and guys like TDB, Jamie Barron and Colin Dunford too but the management team of that year employed horrible tactics that didn't work. We did beat Cork well that year but bad management cost us against Clare . You could say the same for 2014 when a star studded under 21 team lost at home to a weak cork side in the semi final

Taking Harney off at halftime for Lyons's own youngfella was madness as he had Duggan held scoreless in the first half. Duggan went on to score 8-10 points in the second half off Darragh Lyons and that cost us an Under21 All Ireland IMO. The management didn't have a clue. None of them including Brown and Mullane should be left near a County Management set up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Taking Harney off at halftime for Lyons's own youngfella was madness as he had Duggan held scoreless in the first half. Duggan went on to score 8-10 points in the second half off Darragh Lyons and that cost us an Under21 All Ireland IMO. The management didn't have a clue. None of them including Brown and Mullane should be left near a County Management set up again.

Should be interesting to see how Lyons gets on with Dungarvan this year. Kenny Moore will be a loss to them as he has been their most consistent player over the past 3 seasons. They're in a tough group so it won't be easy for them. He certainly talks a good game so I'm looking forward to seeing how his team performs.
    I wonder how many of the Lismore squad will get a call from the senior set up now that they've been beaten yesterday? 4-5 of them i would imagine would warrant a call up after their success and I'm sure Big Dan will use his influence to do so.
    The loss of Philip Mahony for the first few games isn't a huge problem at the moment given the amount of top class wing backs available. In fact his lack of pace cost us against Tony Kelly in last year's league final and when he's turned he hasn't got the turn of foot to recover.
    Interesting reading about Conor Prunty as i have watched him from underage upwards and while he has frightening potential i think maybe this year could be used to blend him in to the senior set up but he's certainly one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

What players should McGrath be looking at during the league and in what positions? There's no doubt that there's plenty of talent off that U21 team last year that should push at least a few of the more established players on the senior team. As the saying goes competition breeds success.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Very strange that Moore left Dungarvan. It's not as if the journey from Lismore to Dungarvan would take that long. He will be a loss to them. Dungarvan are a team that could start slipping back in the pecking order. There isn't a lot coming through over the next 4 or 5 years either.
    There are probably only 1 or 2 Lismore lads in addition to Maurice who will get a look in with McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/07/15/bord-gais-energy-munster-u21-hurling-championship-semi-final-clare-v-waterford/

Duggan had six from play and at least two of those in the first half (first 5 minutes).

Typical of the fact twisting, bolloxolgy on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/07/15/bord-gais-energy-munster-u21-hurling-championship-semi-final-clare-v-waterford/

Duggan had six from play and at least two of those in the first half (first 5 minutes).

What he said was exaggerated but the point stands. Taking Harney off and making a number of positional changes really backfired that day. If memory serves me right Tom Devine was relocated to wing back and was tasked with marking Duggan in that second half.

Anyone any idea where the Wexford and Limerick challenge games are on during the week?

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    What he said was exaggerated but the point stands. Taking Harney off and making a number of positional changes really backfired that day. If memory serves me right Tom Devine was relocated to wing back and was tasked with marking Duggan in that second half.

The comment wasn't fair on Darragh Lyons at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

cul beag wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where the Wexford and Limerick challenge games are on during the week?

Wexford game is on in Ferns at 7.30pm tonight.
    Bring your gear and we might have a look at you

Sorry Devine was put marking Duggan, Harney was on Ian Galvin who hit 5-6 points from play in the second half off Lyons! We only lost by 2 points and we had a forward marking their best forward (duggan) who hit 6 from play with 7 frees, and then took off one of our better defenders to accommodate the managers son who was taken for 6 points in the second half. The book stops with Derrick Lyons & Management IMO. No Bolloxology about that just facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

DiscoStew wrote: »
    A stupid decision to take off Harney. Cost Waterford the game!

Would I get a game at fullbackðŸ˜

Any idea how the match vs wexford went tonight ???

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Some interesting (I think) statistics from Waterford’s participation in the Munster Hurling League. In all, no less than 45 players had at least some game time (albeit only a few minutes in some cases). These did not include regular first team members Stephen O’Keeffe, Philip Mahony and Maurice Shanahan. I take it that Shane O’Sullivan is no longer involved, but I could be wrong there. I presume Michael Harney would also have played if he wasn’t injured. Kieran Bennett was named to start in two of the games but didn’t play. I am surprised that William Hahessy did not figure in any of the games – is he injured?

There were very few established seniors involved in the first three games, which I don’t agree with, as I think having experienced players on the field helps newer players through providing encouragement and advice, and also showing them how things are done at this level. The other teams in the league followed this policy of a mix of experienced and new players.

That said, the inexperienced teams were very competitive in all their games, which bears out what I said in an earlier post about the unprecedented depth of quality players currently available in the county. In that earlier post, I included a list of 42 current players whom I thought were capable of playing senior hurling for the county. In fact, 14 players who were not on that list played in the Munster League and most of them seem to have performed creditably, adding further to the range/depth of available talent.

Of the 45 players who played in the Munster League, I reckon that 12 of them are under 21 this year: Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Conor Gleeson, Darragh Lyons, Andy Molumby, Billy Nolan, Colm Roche, Charlie Chester, Conor Prunty, MJ Sutton, Calum Lyons, Peter Hogan. Have I left anyone out or included anyone who shouldn’t be there? I don’t know if Jack Fagan is under 21 this year, but I doubt it.

Jordan Henley (who didn’t figure in the Munster League) is also under 21 this year, but may be considered too good an outfield player to remain in goal, if an adequate alternative can be found. That said, I was alarmed to see Derek McGrath being reported in the paper as saying that he now regards Iggy Regan as having equal status as Stephen O’Keeffe as candidates for the goalkeeping position. I would much prefer to see Henley or Billy Nolan being groomed for this position, bearing in mind that Kilkenny’s goalkeeper Eoin Murphy plays outfield for his club (and also played outfield for WIT).

Would I get a game at fullbackðŸ˜
    If you're from Roanmore then more than likely

No place for the faint hearted last night I believe! I should have brought the Everlast gloves by the sounds of things ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

No place for the faint hearted last night I believe! I should have brought the Everlast gloves by the sounds of things ðŸ˜

What team started and what was the score ???

I hope McGrath cuts out these heavy training sessions days before league games like last year when they cost us the Dublin game and almost cost us Wexford game (not that it made much difference as we still got to the final)

Can't wait for the Kilkenny game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

What team started and what was the score ???
    e
    Team I heard in work was:
    1. Ray Sheridan 2. Charlie Chester 3. Barry Coughlan 4. Micky Wadding 5. Gavin O Brien 6. Tadhg De Burca 7. Conor Prunty 8. Eoin Madigan 9. Noel Crowley 10. Billy Nolan 11. Stephen Bennett 12. Brick Walsh 13. Peter Hogan 14. Eddie Nolan 15. Kieran Delahunty.

1. Ray Sheridan 2. Charlie Chester 3. Barry Coughlan 4. Micky Wadding 5. Gavin O Brien 6. Tadhg De Burca 7. Conor Prunty 8. Eoin Madigan 9. Noel Crowley 10. Billy Nolan 11. Stephen Bennett 12. Brick Walsh 13. Peter Hogan 14. Eddie Nolan 15. Kieran Delahunty.

😂😂😂ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘👠Brilliant.

Apparantly theyve tried to entice Daryl Murphy back for a trial game, hasn't hurled in about 15 years but they said feck it hes only on the bench for Newcastle this season and has nothing better to be at

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Apparantly theyve tried to entice Daryl Murphy back for a trial game, hasn't hurled in about 15 years but they said feck it hes only on the bench for Newcastle this season and has nothing better to be at

Heard Kevin Sheridan was due to come on at corner forward but was deemed unfit to play because he still had three chapters to finish of "To Kill a Mockingbird"

And apparently also John Ryan is not being considered at full back for the league campaign because he has not yet mastered the basic Latin phrases of "cum se cum sa"

Morrie Wadding however has made the panel for the League because he is seen to have a bright future having shown tremendous strength of character in raising 95 euro in a bake sale at his butcher's block over the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

so who won the fight in the Waterford Wexford game since no one can give us the score or team

• Advertisement

from this weeks news and star

Soky out for the start of the league with a arm injury. Mcgrath about the goalkeeping position 'We are going with a split decision anyway with the keepers.

On the munster league teams and squad selection 'We had a definte plan of two, two and one for games, we were going to stick with that process no matter what the noise from the outside waas or how we were going from game to game. Were going to continue to create harmony in our squad by using our squad'

on this years league 'were just really looking for good performances throughout the league, we think were psychologically able to take relagation if it comes or a quarter final or semi final if it comes. Were gearing ourselves up for june 18th and the process towards that will be giving it everything we can in every league match'

The league panel is getting selected this week and we are due to play a full scale match away to Limerick on sunday

I wish managers would stop talking about what everybody else thinks. They shouldn't care but they just come across as really insecure.

Davy was the worst wih the whole siege mentality tripe but McGrath is at pains to tell us all about what other people think as well. Who cares? It's just irritating reading the back patting. I'm happy with the management of Waterford in the last two years but I don't need to be reading about how they're defying the odds or doing things no matter what "the noise" from outside the camp.

In fairness, theres gob****es spewing ****e but that's all they are, we give it so much attwntion?For every one person accosting Dan at a funeral, there's a good few hundred people that are supporting Waterford and fair in their judgement.

any word on the under 21 hurling management team for 2017 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

from this weeks news and star

Soky out for the start of the league with a arm injury. Mcgrath about the goalkeeping position 'We are going with a split decision anyway with the keepers.

On the munster league teams and squad selection 'We had a definte plan of two, two and one for games, we were going to stick with that process no matter what the noise from the outside waas or how we were going from game to game. Were going to continue to create harmony in our squad by using our squad'

on this years league 'were just really looking for good performances throughout the league, we think were psychologically able to take relagation if it comes or a quarter final or semi final if it comes. Were gearing ourselves up for june 18th and the process towards that will be giving it everything we can in every league match'

The league panel is getting selected this week and we are due to play a full scale match away to Limerick on sunday

Load of codswallop Soky played in Wexford the other night. More less starting 15 was our first team and half time both teams emptied the bench. Waterford won by few points possibly 5 in the end.

Lads anyone else sick to their teeth reading the cringeworthy tripe coming out of Derek McGraths mouth.
    That interview 2 weeks ago was embarrassing and this week he mentions "We are going to create harmony in our squad by using our squad"
    On the ball boy..

Load of codswallop Soky played in Wexford the other night. More less starting 15 was our first team and half time both teams emptied the bench. Waterford won by few points possibly 5 in the end.

Lads anyone else sick to their teeth reading the cringeworthy tripe coming out of Derek McGraths mouth.
    That interview 2 weeks ago was embarrassing and this week he mentions "We are going to create harmony in our squad by using our squad"
    On the ball boy..

Derrick McGrath should give up the Management and become a Poet boy..........

• Advertisement

Derrick McGrath should give up the Management and become a Poet boy

well he is an English teacher lol

well he is an English teacher lol

English teachers and poets arent the same profession ;)
    Every time McGrath gives an interview he reminds me of Louis Van Gal and his bloody 'Philosophy'

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

English teachers and poets arent the same profession ;)
    Every time McGrath gives an interview he reminds me of Louis Van Gal and his bloody 'Philosophy'

TT, did you not know, as per mien Fuhrer's interview with The Examiner, he invented Waterford hurling and is trying to bring about a culture change to us traditional Waterford hurling people?

The whole of Waterford hurling folk were really comforted to learn that Derek - unknown to us all - implemented four different game plans in the space of 20 minutes in the first half against Tipp in last years Munster final. Thank God for that. It really made that hammering more palatable for me anyway. I look forward to learning many more tactical nuggets as this year unfolds.

I have also deleted all my recordings of our All Ireland U21 victories last year and put my signed jersey up for sale on ebay at a knock down price as "Derek the Don" expounded in the same interview that it was the soccer equivalent of winning the Vauxhall Conference championship.

I have also read and re-read To Kill a Mockingbird, along with learning Latin, in an effort to become as intelligent as Derek so I can understand his progressive philosophy on that much misunderstood sport of hurling.

In addition my pals and I are also going on the lash in Newcastle next month. But in keeping with Derek's teachings we are not asking anyone for a bob to finance us in our endeavours. I can't wait for how good we all feel when we get back for the huge effort we will have made and I honestly think we will feel far superior to our lowly team mates when we return to clubs.

I also promise to keep you informed as to my daily travails in dealing with the paranoia that I am also trying to develop to help me in my day to day efforts to understand the most progressive and deep thinking Manager we have ever had in charger of Waterford hurling.

Many thanks for your understanding.

On the ball boy..

Look I guess youve gotta take him or leave him. Personally, if I was a player I don't know how I could keep a straight face in the dressing room if he goes on like he does to the media. But then again some of these lads endured 4 years of Davy Fitz so I guess they've built up a tolerance to verbal diahorrea over the years.  everyone manager has their own way of dealing with media, half of of those premier league managers talk pure scutter half the time aswell. Then you've got the likes of Brian Cody who rarely gives the media an inch. Say the same thing whether they win lose or draw. I do agree that McGraths interview in the examiner a few weeks ago was bizarre even by his standards. Showed a man very much feeling the heat and knows the expectation for success is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Great showing by the Waterford lads today. Probably won't see so many to the fore in fitzgibbon again. Shane Ryan brace a reminder of another one for the 21s this year. Bennets Curran Kearney DJ and MoB all scoring well. Aussie with only a point..pff. Prunty surely injured not to be seen.

Seniors play Limerick at half 12 Sunday in Doon. Might be a bit early for some of the Roanmore lads listed from earlier in the week

Look I guess youve gotta take him or leave him. Personally, if I was a player I don't know how I could keep a straight face in the dressing room if he goes on like he does to the media. But then again some of these lads endured 4 years of Davy Fitz so I guess they've built up a tolerance to verbal diahorrea over the years.  everyone manager has their own way of dealing with media, half of of those premier league managers talk pure scutter half the time aswell. Then you've got the likes of Brian Cody who rarely gives the media an inch. Say the same thing whether they win lose or draw. I do agree that McGraths interview in the examiner a few weeks ago was bizarre even by his standards. Showed a man very much feeling the heat and knows the expectation for success is growing.

Brian Cody = Alex Ferguson
    Derrck McGrath = Louis Van Gal

There is more than just playing styles and ****e talk in common

3ships wrote: »
    Great showing by the Waterford lads today. Probably won't see so many to the fore in fitzgibbon again. Shane Ryan brace a reminder of another one for the 21s this year. Bennets Curran Kearney DJ and MoB all scoring well. Aussie with only a point..pff. Prunty surely injured not to be seen.

Seniors play Limerick at half 12 Sunday in Doon. Might be a bit early for some of the Roanmore lads listed from earlier in the week

Shane Ryan Fourmilewater that was. Definitely not U21.
    Great to see so many showing up well in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Shane Ryan Fourmilewater that was. Definitely not U21.

A lad that I feel McGrath should have looked at more closely, a very good club hurler and seems to be playing well with WIT now, only about 24

A lad that I feel McGrath should have looked at more closely, a very good club hurler and seems to be playing well with WIT now, only about 24

Definitely a good club hurler. Might lack a little for intercounty possibly. I don't think he ever played on minor / U21 teams. It's not impossible to break in without playing at these levels but it's definitely more difficult. With the amount of underage prospects coming through I couldn't see him getting a look in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I obviously thought Shane Ryan DLS was the forward for WIT.

Shane Ryan 4mile I would have had as a Wing Back / Centre Field.
    He was on the 21 panel in 2013. He had a winter trial with the seniors last year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement