Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

What way were waterford set up.....I'm away at the min with work and can't get to matches

Being a challenge match its hard to say what way ye set up plus I was really focussing on limk great to see top players from both sides up close I wouldn't exactly know all the Waterford players but Kevin Moran at midfield and tadgh de burca at 6 did well c lynch at first caused serious trouble for your no3( coughlan?) but in fairness he rallied and did well for last 10 min of half. I'm sure 'twas shane Bennett and Tom Devine in second half who were immense albeit v a second string limk at that stage

My team for Wexford would be

Quaid,English,r Mac,m casey,Byrnes,hannon,hickey,Jim Bob,Dempsey,hego,David Dempsey,Kyle,p casey,c lynch,mul.

If Nash had been avail he'd be hf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

lim4ev wrote: »

Quaid,English,r Mac,m casey,Byrnes,hannon,hickey,Jim Bob,Dempsey,hego,David Dempsey,Kyle,p casey,c lynch,mul.

Sure to be a huge Waterford interest in the Limerick vs Wexford game lol

My team vs Kilkenny would be
    1 SOK
    2 S Fives
    3 C Gleeson
    4 N Connors
    5 S Daniels
    6 D Fives
    7 TDB
    8 K Moran
    9 J Barron
    10 P Mahony
    11 DJ Foran
    12 Shane Bennett
    13 Stephen Bennett
    14 Brick
    15 P Curren

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Any reason why Nash left the panel. Fantastic young hurler. I think room needs to be made for Ronan Lynch too. Hannon has been tried centre back a number of times now and I just don't think he cuts there. Maybe wingback.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭limmyhulk

he got binned for drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

PTH2009 wrote: »

1 SOK
    2 S Fives
    3 C Gleeson
    4 N Connors
    5 S Daniels
    6 D Fives
    7 TDB
    8 K Moran
    9 J Barron
    10 P Mahony
    11 DJ Foran
    12 Shane Bennett
    13 Stephen Bennett
    14 Brick
    15 P Curren
    No room for Aussie Gleeson?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Nash was a player that really impressed me during some of those great Waterford vs Limerick Minor tussles, surprised to see him not on the panel

Deskjockey wrote: »

Forgot about him tbh

I'd prob start him at 15 instead of Patrick Curren

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Stephen Bennett reported as a doubt for Sunday with hamstring strain

3ships wrote: »
    Stephen Bennett reported as a doubt for Sunday with hamstring strain

Pity but we should deff have cover for him

Few kilkemy players reported as out for Sunday

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/234039/kilkenny-without-top-talent-for-waterford-tie.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Looking to Sundays game in Nowlan Park it does seem that Cody has given additional game time to more of his established players than McGrath has in the pre NHL tournaments. This time last year Waterford played the same opposition in the first round of the league at home where we won by 4 points in a low scoring game. What was clear that day was that Kilkenny had very little done in relation to match fitness. This time around the shoe could be on the other foot as McGrath and Co. have only played 10+ regulars in recent challenge games. 
    You can make a rational argument that playing 13+  inexperienced players together in the Munster league serves little to no purpose but there are a high number of young players coming through that need to be looked at before the NHL starts. All in all if 4-5 players have put their hand up during the Munster league games and get into the panel for the year then it has served its purpose. It's a sink or swim type of scenario which can be a little unfair on such young players but due to time constraints it might be the best way to find out who's up to the task and who is not at this time.
    Its difficult to guess what the starting 15 will be next Sunday in Nowlan Park especially since McGrath has said that he was using the league to look at a few new players. But i still think he'll opt for a very experienced team. Maybe something like this:
    (1) S O' Keeffe (if recovered).
    (2) S. Fives (3) Coughlan (4) Connors.
    (5) D Fives (6) De Burca (7) C Gleeson
    (8) Barron (9) Moran.
    (10) Brick (11) A Gleason (12) Mahony.
    (13) O Halloran (14) St Bennett (14) Sh bennett.

At this point their are doubts around the fitness of Stephan Bennett and Darragh Fives. I would think that McGrath will opt for Daniels if D Fives is not fit and possibly Dillon if Stephan Bennett is out. Personally i would like to see DJ Foran get a run in the full forward line at some stage as he's a regular goal getter. I would also hope to see Patrick Curran and Maurice Shanahan to come off the bench if both fit. I think against Kilkenny we might see 1 or 2 new faces in the starting 15 but probably not more than that as a win on Sunday is important for several obvious reasons.

1 SOK
    2 S Fives
    3 C Gleeson
    4 N Connors
    5 S Daniels
    6 D Fives
    7 TDB
    8 K Moran
    9 J Barron
    10 P Mahony
    11 DJ Foran
    12 Shane Bennett
    13 Stephen Bennett
    14 Brick
    15 P Curren

I apologise of course that should have been posted on the limk page as was intended

not more than that as a win on Sunday is important for several obvious reasons.

A win or draw is important for us next sunday cause Rounds 2 (Sun 19 Feb)and 3 (Sat 4th Mar) are not going to be easier with Tipp at home (going for 3 NHL wins in a row over them and they will want a win over us) and a Croke Park date with Dublin. We play Cork at home in Round 4 on Sunday 12 March and our final group game is a Trip to Ennis to face Clare on the 26th Mar (hopefully some of the Ballyea lads will still be getting over there AI hangovers by then lol). We have a tough fixture list this year and 2 wins from our first 3 games would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Any members of club Deise on here get their registration pack yet? Renewed my membership in December and haven't got anything yet. Was looking forward to the U-21 DVD!

Deise189 wrote: »
    Any members of club Deise on here get their registration pack yet? Renewed my membership in December and haven't got anything yet. Was looking forward to the U-21 DVD!

No nothing yet, funds were taking out straight after I joined early last December

Trying to remember Do we get texts of the league teams when there announced too ???

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

No nothing yet, funds were taking out straight after I joined early last December

Trying to remember Do we get texts of the league teams when there announced too ???

Yep there was texts last year so presume it will be the same this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Below is mail I received when I joined. They have been very good with updates last year. I would imagine we will get the pack fairly soon.

Thank you for joining Club Déise and for supporting your Waterford GAA teams. You are now eligible for the jersey signed by our two hurling All Stars, Austin Gleeson and Jamie Barron.

ecd11665-6ee1-49c5-8081-f7231dbdd3d3.jpg

You will receive your membership pack as soon as the DVDs are ready, estimated to be mid-January.
    We would love to hear from you on Facebook and Twitter, and if you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us.

To receive senior hurling team announcements, via text, before all championship matches, please confirm your membership details most importantly your mobile number in the button above or follow this link CONFIRM DETAILS 

Here's to a great year ahead for all Waterford GAA teams - Up the Déise!!
    Club Déise Membership Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Team news for Sunday?

SOK? Darragh Fives? Maurice? Stephen Bennett?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

By my count, no less than 29 Waterford players played in this year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, which surely is an all-time record, and again shows the depth of hurling ability in the county at the moment. I don’t know if the injured Michael Harney would have been eligible to play for IT Carlow this year but if he was, that would have brought the complement up to 30. Most of the 29 were regular starters.

The college affiliation of the players in question is given in the list below. Pride of place goes to UCC, who had eight Waterford players (seven starting in their game against Maynooth this week, with Colm Roche coming on to score).

I wasn’t aware that Jordan Henley is at the University of Limerick. He didn’t play in either of the first two games, but started at wing back in their demolition of St. Pat’s Drumcondra this week. Perhaps he was injured? John Paul Lucey of Shamrocks also started at wing forward for UL. An Rinn had three starters for St. Pat’s in this game, including the “other” Jamie Barron. I know St. Pat’s are not strong this year, but this is still a remarkable achievement for this relatively small intermediate club.

Calum Lyons was a regular starter at midfield for WIT, and is a fine prospect. Mikey Kearney seems to have been in excellent form for CIT. Conor Prunty only figured for them in their last game, and as a substitute, so perhaps he was injured. Eddie Hayden and Ross Brown have been figuring regularly at corner back for UCD and IT Carlow, respectively. William Hahessy, Ian Kenny and Shane Roche have also been playing at corner back for their colleges, so we appear to be well stocked in these positions at the moment.

LIT

Kieran Bennett
    Shane Bennett

WIT

William Hahessy
    Shane McNulty
    Austin Gleeson
    Calum Lyons

DCU

Patrick Curran

CIT

Mikey Kearney
    Conor Prunty

UCC

Ian Kenny
    Shane Roche
    Conor Gleeson
    Mark O’Brien
    Jamie Barron
    Tom Devine
    Gavin O’Brien
    Colm Roche

UCD

Eddie Hayden
    Tadhg de Búrca
    DJ Foran

UL

Stephen Bennett
    Jordan Henley
    John Paul Lucey (Shamrocks)

IT Carlow

Colin Dunford
    Ross Brown (Colligan)
    Jack Fagan

St Pat’s Drumcondra

Jamie de Barún (An Rinn)
    Christy Breathnach (An Rinn)
    Fearghal Curran (An Rinn)

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Team news for Sunday?

SOK? Darragh Fives? Maurice? Stephen Bennett?

Maurice deff out with a hand injury he got in lismores semi final

News and star suggest Iggy will start on goal

not sure on Darragh Fives or Stephen Bennett

on the Kilkenny side Liam Blanchfield came on as a sub for WIT tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Giveitfong wrote: »
    By my count, no less than 29 Waterford players played in this year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, which surely is an all-time record, and again shows the depth of hurling ability in the county at the moment. I don’t know if the injured Michael Harney would have been eligible to play for IT Carlow this year but if he was, that would have brought the complement up to 30. Most of the 29 were regular starters.

The college affiliation of the players in question is given in the list below. Pride of place goes to UCC, who had eight Waterford players (seven starting in their game against Maynooth this week, with Colm Roche coming on to score).

I wasn’t aware that Jordan Henley is at the University of Limerick. He didn’t play in either of the first two games, but started at wing back in their demolition of St. Pat’s Drumcondra this week. Perhaps he was injured? John Paul Lucey of Shamrocks also started at wing forward for UL. An Rinn had three starters for St. Pat’s in this game, including the “other” Jamie Barron. I know St. Pat’s are not strong this year, but this is still a remarkable achievement for this relatively small intermediate club.

Calum Lyons was a regular starter at midfield for WIT, and is a fine prospect. Mikey Kearney seems to have been in excellent form for CIT. Conor Prunty only figured for them in their last game, and as a substitute, so perhaps he was injured. Eddie Hayden and Ross Brown have been figuring regularly at corner back for UCD and IT Carlow, respectively. William Hahessy, Ian Kenny and Shane Roche have also been playing at corner back for their colleges, so we appear to be well stocked in these positions at the moment.

LIT

Kieran Bennett
    Shane Bennett

WIT

William Hahessy
    Shane McNulty
    Austin Gleeson
    Calum Lyons

DCU

Patrick Curran

CIT

Mikey Kearney
    Conor Prunty

UCC

Ian Kenny
    Shane Roche
    Conor Gleeson
    Mark O’Brien
    Jamie Barron
    Tom Devine
    Gavin O’Brien
    Colm Roche

UCD

Eddie Hayden
    Tadhg de Búrca
    DJ Foran

UL

Stephen Bennett
    Jordan Henley

IT Carlow

Colin Dunford
    Ross Brown (Colligan)
    Jack Fagan

St Pat’s Drumcondra

Jamie de Barún (An Rinn)

I remember seeing a Peter hogan from waterford playing for dcu I think in the walsh cup against kilkenny in dunmore.he wasn't to bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Maurice deff out with a hand injury he got in lismores semi final

News and star suggest Iggy will start on goal

not sure on Darragh Fives or Stephen Bennett

on the Kilkenny side Liam Blanchfield came on as a sub for WIT tuesday night

Kevin banchfield was a sub that came on for wit and is liams brother.liam is with a dublin college not sure which one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

brookville wrote: »
    I remember seeing a Peter hogan from waterford playing for dcu I think in the walsh cup against kilkenny in dunmore.he wasn't to bad either

Yep has been playing with Waterford in the Munster league. Scored the infamous goal for the 21s last year with Stephen Bennett's no look overhead flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Deskjockey wrote: »

you would need a nice bit of room to fit him at the moment

You calling him fat?

• Advertisement

Yep has been playing with Waterford in the Munster league. Scored the infamous goal for the 21s last year with Stephen Bennett's no look overhead flick.

Yeah, I don't know how I overlooked Peter. Another fine prospect with a great eye for goal. I wouldn't use the word "infamous" to describe the goal he got against Tipperary in the Under 21 Munster final. Deservedly it was one of the goals of the year shown on TG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

By my count, no less than 29 Waterford players played in this year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, which surely is an all-time record, and again shows the depth of hurling ability in the county at the moment.  I don’t know if the injured Michael Harney would have been eligible to play for IT Carlow this year but if he was, that would have brought the complement up to 30. Most of the 29 were regular starters.

The college affiliation of the players in question is given in the list below.  Pride of place goes to UCC, who had eight Waterford players (seven starting in their game against Maynooth this week, with Colm Roche coming on to score).

I wasn’t aware that Jordan Henley is at the University of Limerick.  He didn’t play in either of the first two games, but started at wing back in their demolition of St. Pat’s Drumcondra this week. Perhaps he was injured?  John Paul Lucey of Shamrocks also started at wing forward for UL. An Rinn had three starters for St. Pat’s in this game, including the “other” Jamie Barron.  I know St. Pat’s are not strong this year, but this is still a remarkable achievement for this relatively small intermediate club.

Calum Lyons was a regular starter at midfield for WIT, and is a fine prospect.  Mikey Kearney seems to have been in excellent form for CIT.  Conor Prunty only figured for them in their last game, and as a substitute, so perhaps he was injured.  Eddie Hayden and Ross Brown have been figuring regularly at corner back for UCD and IT Carlow, respectively.  William Hahessy, Ian Kenny and Shane Roche have also been playing at corner back for their colleges, so we appear to be well stocked in these positions at the moment.

LIT

Kieran Bennett
     Shane Bennett

WIT

William Hahessy
     Shane McNulty
     Austin Gleeson
     Calum Lyons

DCU

Patrick Curran

CIT

Mikey Kearney
     Conor Prunty

UCC

Ian Kenny
     Shane Roche
     Conor Gleeson
     Mark O’Brien
     Jamie Barron
     Tom Devine
     Gavin O’Brien
     Colm Roche

UCD

Eddie Hayden
     Tadhg de Búrca
     DJ Foran

UL

Stephen Bennett
     Jordan Henley

IT Carlow

Colin Dunford
     Ross Brown (Colligan)
     Jack Fagan

St Pat’s Drumcondra

Jamie de Barún (An Rinn)
    Whats the difference between 'DCU-St Pats' and 'St Pats'? Patrick Curran is playing for one this year but the other last year..

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Whats the difference between 'DCU-St Pats' and 'St Pats'? Patrick Curran is playing for one this year but the other last year..

As far as I am aware, the DCU GAA club was reconstituted as DCU-Dóchas Éireann last year to include previously independent third level colleges St. Patrick's College of Education (Drumcondra) and Mater Dei Institute which have been incorporated into DCU in recent years. However, St. Patrick's College continues to field a separate team in the Fitzgibbon Cup (I don't know about the other higher education competitions) under their own name, while DCU-Dóchas Éireann effectively means the original DCU campus. Patrick Curran was a student in St. Pat's last year and presumably switched to DCU this year (possibly doing a postgraduate degree, although he is still under 21 this year). I don't know where the Dóchas Éireann name comes from. It means Erin's Hope (which means its pretty meaningless, if you know what I mean!).

Yeah, I don't know how I overlooked Peter. Another fine prospect with a great eye for goal. I wouldn't use the word "infamous" to describe the goal he got against Tipperary in the Under 21 Munster final. Deservedly it was one of the goals of the year shown on TG4

Yeah bad use of English on my part. Famous would have been far more appropriate. A fantastic goal and to be honest, he doesn't get enough credit for the role he played in it.

There's two teams, DCU Dochas Eireanna and DCU St Pats. Curran is in St Pats but eligible to play for DCU Dochas Eireann and so opted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

There's two teams, DCU Dochas Eireanna and DCU St Pats. Curran is in St Pats but eligible to play for DCU Dochas Eireann and so opted to.
    Ciaran Kilkenny played football for DCU Dochas Eireann yet hurling for DCU St Pats. Seems  a bit silly the whole thing

dont be fooled with all these suppose 'Kilkenny players wont make it sunday' stuff. There going to have a very strong team out with some of these players making a miracle recovery

Hopefully we will have our team tonight or so and we too will name a strong team.

Is Derek going for the win or just a good performance ???. prob overeacting a bit but If we get bad beating then its not looking good for the year ahead as we will be under pressure a bit. A lot of Waterford fans are confident about sunday but its been 13 years since we beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park (only won 2 games up there since then both league victories over Tipp in 2007/2015)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dont be fooled with all these suppose 'Kilkenny players wont make it sunday' stuff. There going to have a very strong team out with some of these players making a miracle recovery

Hopefully we will have our team tonight or so and we too will name a strong team.

Is Derek going for the win or just a good performance ???. prob overeacting a bit but If we get bad beating then its not looking good for the year ahead as we will be under pressure a bit. A lot of Waterford fans are confident about sunday but its been 13 years since we beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park (only won 2 games up there since then both league victories over Tipp in 2007/2015)

You're right, it is overreacting. I couldn't give a monkies about the league. Winning 4 games in the summer is all that matters so the team are better off peaking then as opposed to some time in April.

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're right, it is overreacting. I couldn't give a monkies about the league. Winning 4 games in the summer is all that matters so the team are better off peaking then as opposed to some time in April.

the league creates a winning mentality and gives the supporters more days out and imo its less nerve racking than championship games

TBH watching Waterford playing championship is nerve racking and as we all know we never do things easy so just imagine a point for point all ireland final with us in it :eek::eek:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0210/851697-derek-mcgrath/

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd expect Kilkenny to win fairly comfortably Sunday and for it to have no relevance at all for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

I'd expect Kilkenny to win fairly comfortably Sunday and for it to have no relevance at all for the championship.

I can't say I agree with that.

With the players at Derek's disposal with virtually no injury concerns compared to Kilkenny's I am very confident that we will come away with a win. We will have a far more settled team.

After all Kilkenny are short the two Fennellys, Ger Aylward, and probably Walter Walsh - all game changers for them.

I'll be definitely putting a few bob on us for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I can't say I agree with that.

With the players at Derek's disposal with virtually no injury concerns compared to Kilkenny's I am very confident that we will come away with a win. We will have a far more settled team.

After all Kilkenny are short the two Fennellys, Ger Aylward, and probably Walter Walsh - all game changers for them.

I'll be definitely putting a few bob on us for Sunday.

Was on rte news that aussie is an injury concern

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

IanVW wrote: »
    Was on rte news that aussie is an injury concern

Either way our team will be far more experienced than Kilkenny's.

Cody is trying to mix and match and is bringing in new players with a view to finding the right blend for the Championship. Our squad is far more settled and bedded in and basically hasn't changed for the past two to three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just the 10 starters from last year's AI final lining out for Kk on Sunday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KilkennyCLG/status/830157205005533184/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Wont be long now we get the dummy team for the year.
    Johnny Brenner could be named midfield.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Beresford #17 for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Kilkenny in Nowlan Park on Sunday is as follows!

1. Ian O'Regan (Mount Sion)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
    17. Stephen Daniels (De La Salle)
    21. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    9. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)
    12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)
    23. Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    20. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

No Aussie, D.Fives or Stephen Bennett although that could change!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Cake Man wrote: »
    The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Kilkenny in Nowlan Park on Sunday is as follows!

1. Ian O'Regan (Mount Sion)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
    17. Stephen Daniels (De La Salle)
    21. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    9. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)
    12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)
    23. Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    20. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

No Aussie, D.Fives or Stephen Bennett although that could change!

If that's the 15 I'd imagine Conor Gleeson goes to wing or corner back. If corner Shane Fives possibly wing back. Moran out to midfield, Kearney to forwards. The forwards very interchangeable. I'd see Mahony as a very in half forwards and Curran more than likely in full line but the rest could be easily interchangeable.
    Decent balance of experience and opportunities. Devine hadn't played much so far this year, Daniels, Gleeson and Kearney all getting chances to impress.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    If that's the 15 I'd imagine Conor Gleeson goes to wing or corner back. If corner Shane Fives possibly wing back. Moran out to midfield, Kearney to forwards. The forwards very interchangeable. I'd see Mahony as a very in half forwards and Curran more than likely in full line but the rest could be easily interchangeable.
    Decent balance of experience and opportunities. Devine hadn't played much so far this year, Daniels, Gleeson and Kearney all getting chances to impress.

Hopefully this team will give a good performance. Be nice to start the year off with a win. Obv would love to see Aussie, Darragh Fives and Soky start but the 3 are injured AFAIK.

All the Bs about east vs west divide, there are 8 western players in the starting 15 and no Roanmore players

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

No Jake?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Bloody squad numbers. Give them starting position 1-15 on their backs

thesultan wrote: »
    Bloody squad numbers. Give them starting position 1-15 on their backs

So as Iggy is 01 does that mean be will first choice keeper this season

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Hopefully this team will give a good performance. Be nice to start the year off with a win. Obv would love to see Aussie, Darragh Fives and Soky start but the 3 are injured AFAIK.

All the Bs about east vs west divide, there are 8 western players in the starting 15 and no Roanmore players
    Wonder will Tom Devine and Mikey Kearney actually start?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Naming of dummy teams is fairly pointless unless your trying to protect a young player making his debut, that really should be the only time to do it and it should only be one change. If Kilkenny line out as selected i would prefer to see Conor Gleason and Noel Connors as our two corner backs to mark Hogan and JJ Farrell. Shane Fives has a good hand on him which is always needed in the halfback line especially against Kilkenny.

Kilkenny are still trying to fix problems at centre back and in the full back line so it would be a huge mistake by McGrath to play less than 3 in our full forward line. If (hopefully its not a big if) McGrath plays 15 on 15 i would say that Kearney will see more time in corner forward than Shane Bennett if Kearney even starts of course. I suppose the big question among Waterford supporters is will we play 15 on 15 or will we use a sweeper or another variation. As a former US President once said "Only thing we have to fear is fear itself". Its time for McGrath and Co. to trust the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Nice balance to that team, a lot of experience there married to guy's who have still been in and around the panel / team for more than a year, if this is the side , expect Mikey Kearney to be roving around the half forward line , real good intelligent hurler , but needs to show something else now as this is a massive year for him, tearing it up in the Fitzgibbon , but needs to give Derek a headache as to what his position is,but if he added 2/3 points reg to his game then he would be a starter, i think this is going to be a year that conor Gleason becomes a definate starter , love his aggression, good hurler and just the right amount of will to win, think midfield will suit him, as good feet , good ball winner and is defensive minded [Derek likes that], need a big game from Tom devine, cult hero and all , but really has not fixed on any position, or even if he is up to it, i don't see him as a forward , but then again i don't see him as a starting midfielder or defender either, i think certain games will suit him, and if his hurling has improved then maybe wing forward and turn and run, getting control of the ball though tends to be the issue , Nice to see Stephen Daniels back, i think he has a better upside than Phillip Mahony , better Athlete [Was anyway before injury and Travel], Physically he is a bigger man too, and has good leadership abilities, he also prob is a better corner back than Shane fives , but Fives gives you something extra when he is on the ball, thats why i'd be looking at daniels to put more pressure on Phillip, think we'll do ok, not too sure about the mindset, for this game, don't see massive hunger for a win, but who knows what goes on in-house, first time in a while if ever i have heard Brian Cody talk about missing players, Kilkenny side still a good side, don't think murphy will do Centre back, if we target him and maybe even put devine around there to run into him, simple but could be effective, think Waterford will win, but would not be overly confident, just Kilkenny have started the last tow leagues like they had nothing to prove in Feb, hopefully Waterford are not the same , because then Kilkenny wins that game, but if both are up for it , then i'd go waterford by 2/3 Points and then off to beat the ****e outa Tipp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement