Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

cul beag wrote: »
    Paudie from play? I don't remember him doing much bar his contribution from frees but as for Brick it's only when that colossus of a man decides he has nothing more to offer will we really realise what we are missing. You could count on one hand the amount of bad games he has had for us,he truly is an inspiration for any young fella on this panel. His professionalism,dedication and consistency throughout his career has been phenomenal. Another player that is showing that consistency is Jamie Barron. He is quickly becoming one of the top midfielders of the modern game,his work rate is excellent but his distribution is what sets him apart as he rarely wastes possession. He is now adding a scoring side to his game which we always saw when playing for Fourmilewater.
    One interesting battle next Sunday will be Brick and Paudie Maher,I hope the foundation under the stand is solid!!
    Cant think of enough words to describe the brick. In an era where most fella's don't want to commit after they hit 30, this guy is 33 or 4, has a big enough job with the bank, farms at home and has a young family. Yet, he keeps coming back, year on year, putting his body on the line, even after suffering his fair share of heart-ache over the years. Un unbelievable man. I'd run into hell and back for him if he was on my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My dads season ticket was scanned yesterday but he is down as not attended on his account page

Anything I can do about it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My dads season ticket was scanned yesterday but he is down as not attended on his account page

Anything I can do about it ??

send them an e-mail they will get back to you before the week is over and mark it as attended , it sometimes takes a few days to be updated too

send them an e-mail they will get back to you before the week is over and mark it as attended , it sometimes takes a few days to be updated too

sent them an email thanks

My team for the Tipp game would be

Sok
    S Fives
    B Coughlan
    N Connors
    TBD
    D Fives
    S Mcnulty
    J Barron
    C Gleeson
    K Moran
    P Mahony
    Brick
    P Curran
    Stephen Bennett
    A Gleeson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

Good to see 13 clubs involved in the Senior hurling this weekend, no surprise what club had the most players involved, you'd swear they were the best club in the county. This is in stark contrast to the Kilkenny team at the weekend where not one of Coadys James Stephens club men were selected on the Kilkenny match day squad. Worth keeping an eye on this during the league.

Waterford
    DLS: 4 Moran, Daniels, McNulty, Dillon
    Ballygunner: 2 Coughlan, Mahony
    Fourmilewater: 2 Barron Gleeson
    Mount Sion: 2 Iggy Aussie
    Passage: 1 Connors
    Tourin: 1 Fives
    Clashmore: 2 TDB BOH
    Stradbally: 1 Brick
    Ballyduff Upper: 1 Kearney
    Dungarvan: 1 Curran
    Roanmore: 1 O Brien
    Modeligo: 1 Devine
    Ballysaggert: 1 Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

It has been posted here before and will again but this system has turned me off going to watch Waterford especially in the slog. Derek won't change and give us a three man full toward line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Good to see 13 clubs involved in the Senior hurling this weekend, no surprise what club had the most players involved, you'd swear they were the best club in the county. This is in stark contrast to the Kilkenny team at the weekend where not one of Coadys James Stephens club men were selected on the Kilkenny match day squad. Worth keeping an eye on this during the league.

Waterford
    DLS: 4 Moran, Daniels, McNulty, Dillon
    Ballygunner: 2 Coughlan, Mahony
    Fourmilewater: 2 Barron Gleeson
    Mount Sion: 2 Iggy Aussie
    Passage: 1 Connors
    Tourin: 1 Fives
    Clashmore: 2 TDB BOH
    Stradbally: 1 Brick
    Ballyduff Upper: 1 Kearney
    Dungarvan: 1 Curran
    Roanmore: 1 O Brien
    Modeligo: 1 Devine
    Ballysaggert: 1 Bennett

Should he not pick Dls players is that what your saying ?

debok wrote: »
    Should he not pick Dls players is that what your saying ?

They shouldnt get prefrence in the team, thats what im saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So who would you place in the team ahead the four named players?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

ThaiTanic wrote:

Would you rather he didn't select Kevin Moran ?

So who would you place in the team ahead the four named players?

Moran merits his place,
    Daniels/McNulty? Mahony, Darragh Fives, Harney, Prunty
    Dillion? Beth Carton

Don't think they do in my opinion. Think you just don't like magrath and are looking for a reason to give out.

Don't think they do in my opinion. Think you just don't like magrath and are looking for a reason to give out.

Im not, its there in black and white its facts from the game Sunday? Just made a point and the DLS heads didnt like it obviously. DLS are not even in the top 4 senior clubs in the county, thats another fact buddy. But yeah we shall see what happens for the rest of the league. People are getting very carried away about beating a brutal KK side. Tipp will show us where we really stand on Sunday.

Im not, its there in black and white its facts from the game Sunday? Just made a point and the DLS heads didnt like it obviously. DLS are not even in the top 4 senior clubs in the county, thats another fact buddy. But yeah we shall see what happens for the rest of the league. People are getting very carried away about beating a brutal KK side. Tipp will show us where we really stand on Sunday.

Whose the dls heads buddy?clashmore had 2 and there junior. Doesn't matter how good club is. Dillion moran and Daniels are good enough and mcnulty is young fella who deserves ago. So your hoping tipp beat us?

Whose the dls heads buddy?clashmore had 2 and there junior. Doesn't matter how good club is. Dillion moran and Daniels are good enough and mcnulty is young fella who deserves ago. So your hoping tipp beat us?

Moran is good enough thats about it, No im not its just hilarious listening to people texting into Wlr all day and writing up on this about the win, its nice to beat kilkenny and all but its only Feburary some people are getting abit carried away over it. If you honestly think Dillion is in the top 10 forwards in the county and Daniels is in the top 10 defenders your delusional. McNulty deserves his chance alright. Didn't stand out for WIT in the fitzgibbon but il take your word on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

The last time McNulty played a competitive game if I'm right, was against Galway last year in the league where himself and Conor Gleeson had a very good game and didn't look out of place against the team who went on to be only beaten by a point in the All Ireland semi.

I couldnt see a problem trying Daniels yesterday but he did seem to struggle quite a bit in my honest opinion.
    He was a great prospect before the injury in the same way Conor Gleeson looks very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I'm from the west have no affiliation to Del Le Sall and think you just don't like McGrath. Daniels prior to injury was class and if he can get back to post injury form will be in the top 10. Moran is just class. Dillon might not make the team anymore when fully fit but has had great games in the past for us. Jees I'm sick o hearing people winging, beat Kilkenny in Nielsen park and Ye still have something to give out about McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Moran merits his place,
    Daniels/McNulty? Mahony, Darragh Fives, Harney, Prunty
    Dillion? Beth Carton

You do realise Mahony,, Darragh Fives and Harney are injured and Prunty wasn't making the CIT team for whatever reason. Is there not anyone you can think of that should be playing instead or is it a meaningless accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

thesultan wrote: »
    It has been posted here before and will again but this system has turned me off going to watch Waterford especially in the slog. Derek won't change and give us a three man full toward line..
    Eh you obviously weren't at the match yesterday where for the entire first half and a bit of the second it was noticeable (in a good way) that we played with a 3 man full forward line. It was brilliant to see a bit of a threat up there.

Yes, we did revert back to the 1 man forward line for the last 20 mins, and that's when KK got a bit of a run on us, but whether that was tactical or just the players reverting to type remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

nobody plays 3 in the full forward line any more

• Advertisement

Moran is good enough thats about it, No im not its just hilarious listening to people texting into Wlr all day and writing up on this about the win, its nice to beat kilkenny and all but its only Feburary some people are getting abit carried away over it. If you honestly think Dillion is in the top 10 forwards in the county and Daniels is in the top 10 defenders your delusional. McNulty deserves his chance alright. Didn't stand out for WIT in the fitzgibbon but il take your word on him.

As you say yourself it's only February and real hurling people aren't getting carried away we just happy to beat kilkenny it doesn't happen often. Many times we have played well against worse kilkenny teams and got bet. Just enjoy a win boy and leave your dislike of magrath until it warrants it. It is only February as you said. By the way I'm not from dls I'm from waterford

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Eh you obviously weren't at the match yesterday where for the entire first half and a bit of the second it was noticeable (in a good way) that we played with a 3 man full forward line. It was brilliant to see a bit of a threat up there.

Yes, we did revert back to the 1 man forward line for the last 20 mins, and that's when KK got a bit of a run on us, but whether that was tactical or just the players reverting to type remains to be seen.

Kilkenny pulled men out the field more than Waterford for most of the game. Noelie was out on the 65 alot with hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

HillFarmer wrote: »
    I'm from the west have no affiliation to Del Le Sall and think you just don't like McGrath. Daniels prior to injury was class and if he can get back to post injury form will be in the top 10. Moran is just class. Dillon might not make the team anymore when fully fit but has had great games in the past for us. Jees I'm sick o hearing people winging, beat Kilkenny in Nielsen park and Ye still have something to give out about McGrath

Daniels is finished, he's been getting roasted for years in the club championship by average players ever since his injury. Yet he's straight back into the side. If he was from any other club he wouldn't even be considered and if you deny that you're delusional. It's the same reason Fagan from Meath was "pointed towards" DLS when he wanted to move to Waterford. There is a clear DLS bias in the management.

With the amount of players De La Salle have on the team you'd think they were winning county championships every year.

Who can forget when Eddie Barrett started the Munster Final two years ago out of nowhere and was absolutely shocking, what club is he again?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Daniels is finished, he's been getting roasted for years in the club championship by average players ever since his injury. Yet he's straight back into the side. If he was from any other club he wouldn't even be considered and if you deny that you're delusional.

With the amount of players De La Salle have on the team you'd think they were winning county championships every year.

I was suprised he kept Daniels and dropped Jack Fagan. He looked promising to me. I'd have him as a bigger threat to the opposition than Dillon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Conor Prunty picked up an injury against Limerick (I think although it could have been Clare) in the Munster League. I'd imagine that's why he wasn't with CIT until his late appearance in the last game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Delighted with the win yesterday. Great to see Stephen Daniels back and he had a super game. Top class management performance from Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Oh holy God!! I suppose giving away frees,possession and deserving of a red card warrants a super game alright 😂😂😂. I'll give Daniels the benefit of the doubt and see how the year pans out for him because if he gets back to where he was before the injury he has a lot to offer but yesterday he was ring rusty to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Kilkenny pulled men out the field more than Waterford for most of the game. Noelie was out on the 65 alot with hogan.

Connors has no business out around there...
    Open to being exposed for pace imo

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Tipperary played three full forwards in the All-Ireland final last year. This was a crucial factor in their victory. Two of the Kilkenny full backs were of only modest ability (Holden and Prendergast) but Paul Murphy was able to protect them previously because other teams never played more than two full forwards against them. With Murphy having his hands full with Bubbles O'Dwyer in last year's final, Seamus Callanan and John McGrath took the other two to the cleaners.

There should be a lesson there for Derek McGrath, but one which I doubt will be taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

I see the Limerick manager had a go at the referee (you've guessed it, D. Kirwan) and was especially incensed that he did not get a penalty in the 2nd half.  Liam Sheedy on Sunday night passed funny comment that he had seen Kirwan award softer penalties (i.e. for Kilkenny against Tipp in 2009).

• Advertisement

Tipp do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Connors has no business out around there...
    Open to being exposed for pace imo

Has Connors over done the gym work a bit, looks like a body builder more than a hurler?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

You do realise Mahony,, Darragh Fives and Harney are injured and Prunty wasn't making the CIT team for whatever reason. Is there not anyone you can think of that should be playing instead or is it a meaningless accusation.

Prunty picked up a calf injury against Limerick earlier in the year I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

Oh holy God!! I suppose giving away frees,possession and deserving of a red card warrants a super game alright 😂😂😂. I'll give Daniels the benefit of the doubt and see how the year pans out for him because if he gets back to where he was before the injury he has a lot to offer but yesterday he was ring rusty to say the least!

Daniels defending was excellent for ninety per cent of the time. What do you mean deserving of a red card ? It happened right in front of me and he simply delivered a powerful hit, actually one of many that he gave.

We have been the gentle county for long enough. Would you rather have seen us loose the game ? Whether you give Daniels the benefit of the doubt is immaterial. Thank God that decision rests with Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Daniels defending was excellent for ninety per cent of the time. What do you mean deserving of a red card ? It happened right in front of me and he simply delivered a powerful hit, actually one of many that he gave.

We have been the gentle county for long enough. Would you rather have seen us loose the game ? Whether you give Daniels the benefit of the doubt is immaterial. Thank God that decision rests with Derek.
    Were you really at the game?????

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Where did I say anything about wanting to lose the game? If it's rucks and mauls you want head out to Waterpark but give us our beautiful game back on the way out. One forward scored from play,what's that telling you? The natural ability of these fellas is being substituted by flankers and second rowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

culbaire wrote: »
    Were you really at the game?????

Still waiting for those four players that should be on the panel. Great win on Sunday but I am sure you will still find a way to knock the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

danganabu wrote: »
    Has Connors over done the gym work a bit, looks like a body builder more than a hurler?

Has been like that for several years and won all stars since, he was excellent on Sunday. Wouldn't agree with the other posters assertion about a lack of pace

Where did I say anything about wanting to lose the game? If it's rucks and mauls you want head out to Waterpark but give us our beautiful game back on the way out. One forward scored from play,what's that telling you? The natural ability of these fellas is being substituted by flankers and second rowers.

I suppose Kilkenny had nothing to do with the rucks and mauls even though they are the masters at it. Waterford or Derek Mcgrath did not bring this in to the game but they are good at it. They have to be and off course there will always be that type of hurling on winter ground. I was impressed with Waterford on Sunday and we played some good hurling for this time of the year but then again you did'nt see that or maybe you dont want to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Last year when we played Tipp in the league we got 1-10 and they got 1-07 from play. 5 forwards scored for us I think 3 for them. I don't see what your point proves at all, I think there was some people expecting to see the game we saw last August on the first weekend of the league in February. And I know these people have seen plenty of leagues before, so I'm finding it hard to understand how that was the expectation.

There was 3 good goal chances created where Kilkenny created none, as JJ Delaney said winter hurling is made for backs anyway. I think it was plenty more positive from and attacking point of view than the first league game last year. Cannot understand the criticism based on sunday, if you were to hold off commenting and observe and air concerns if we were playing very negatively over the course of the next 4 games than that would be at least something.

But just cannot understand how anyone could be anything but pleased with Sunday. Our attack was far more dangerous than Kilkenny's, and while they were going on about who they were missing we were short hurler of the year and the u21 hurler of the year which I think is more than they will have to come back in up front if the sides meet again in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

cascade12 wrote: »
    Still waiting for those four players that should be on the panel. Great win on Sunday but I am sure you will still find a way to knock the manager.
    Derek knows it all. It seems he is now working on a seven year plan judging by his comments in relation to Tipperary. I suggest that you attend a few matches at Senior and Intermediate level this year. You seem to have a closed mind! There are some fine hurlers who are being ignored. They are not Vauxhall Conference either. But then again it seems you have a closed mind.

Derek knows it all. It seems he is now working on a seven year plan judging by his comments in relation to Tipperary. I suggest that you attend a few matches at Senior and Intermediate level this year. You seem to have a closed mind! There are some fine hurlers who are being ignored. They are not Vauxhall Conference either. But then again it seems you have a closed mind.

Well done with the big bold writing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

In the wind and muck and sh1te do people expect us to be scoring 25 plus points and playing champagne hurling? People from other counties reading this must be laughing their holes off

I have been involved in Waterford club hurling for many years at management level. In the west of the county. I have not missed a match at county level at all grades for close on thirty years. I have a club season ticket this year, I did not need it in previous years because I had free entry for most games. Is that enough for you. Now like I said before, name the players or stop talking nonsense. And while you are at it, take the chip of your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Literally just nearly choked on my tea, the irony is quality though :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

cascade12 wrote: »
    Derek knows it all. It seems he is now working on a seven year plan judging  by his  comments in relation to Tipperary. I suggest that you attend a few matches at Senior and Intermediate level this year. You seem to have a closed mind!   There are some fine  hurlers  who are being ignored. They are not Vauxhall Conference either.   But then again it seems you have a closed mind.
    There are only 15 starting places on a team. We have strength in depth like never before. All the players on the panel or fringes of the all good hurlers, but many are of the same level, quality-wise. It comes down to the manager or management team as to which players are best fit into their plans Inevitably some people are going to be unhappy. You can't rotate 30 or 40 players just for the sake of it either. You've got to settle on your best team. That's why a management team and selectors are appointed to select the team and not the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Deiseland

Answer the question for cascade12 if you know so much. A lot of people here would like to know. Every one is entitled to an opinion. So start typin and share the names.

List of the sub's from.last Sunday please?

List of the sub's from.last Sunday please?

could be wrong as im going by the programme and of course our team was wrong as they were going by squad numbers four starting 15

Subs
    16 SOK
    7 Shane Mcnulty
    18 Darragh Lyons
    19 GOB
    15 Jake Dillion
    6 Aussie Gleeson
    22 BOH
    14 Stephen Bennett
    24 Tommy Ryan
    25 Mark O Brien
    26 Stephen Roche

deisedude wrote: »
    In the wind and muck and sh1te do people expect us to be scoring 25 plus points and playing champagne hurling? People from other counties reading this must be laughing their holes off

when do we ever score 25 plus points or play champagne hurling?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement