Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Dungarvan is a sh1thole. Small pitch with a really bad surface.
    Walsh Park is a bog. Dungarvan is light years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

'My Daddy is bigger than your Daddy' 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Sean power salvaged an u21 all ireland....in reality we should have more than the 1 with that team

In reality....him in club management will be wasted as mt sion are somewhat off challenging for county titles and no city club will back a mt sion manager to take over county team?

People talk about an east/west divide....some of the club rivalries around the town are bitter and make the whole east/west thing look like just an madeup Internet thing

Mount Sion lads don't even rate Sean Power which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

culbaire wrote: »
    Walsh Park is a bog. Dungarvan is light years ahead.

There both absolute dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mount Sion lads don't even rate Sean Power which is surprising.

If he applies for the senior Waterford job when it becomes available he will get it as its the most logical thing to do after winning minor and under 21 All Ireland's. Liam Sheedy, the 2 Clare guys, John Keily in Limerick among others all successfully managed underage teams before taking the senior jobs

Who else would be good manage our seniors ?? Fergal Hartley, Peter Quelly , Kevin Ryan ???

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

You left out Colm and Shane Roche, either Mark or Gavin O Brien and either Kieran or Shane Bennett.

Also Ian Kenny who has been playing very well

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If he applies for the senior Waterford job when it becomes available he will get it as its the most logical thing to do after winning minor and under 21 All Ireland's. Liam Sheedy, the 2 Clare guys, John Keily in Limerick among others all successfully managed underage teams before taking the senior jobs

Who else would be good manage our seniors ?? Fergal Hartley, Peter Quelly , Kevin Ryan ???[/QUOTE

No im afraid he will not get the job when it becomes available and it won't have anything to do with where he is from. Manage a senior club team first. Nobody should walk into a position of Waterford senior hurling manager like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Dungarvan is a sh1thole. Small pitch with a really bad surface.

Dungarvan has a good surface

diarmuid kirwan ref today

Stephen Bennett replaces brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Jesus the pitch is ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Jesus the pitch is ****e

Looks like the grass hasnt been cut since august.
    Hard to tell on the tv but back to playing only 2 men in full forward line with dillon droppin back?
    Lots of space up there if gleeson gets his head up

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

One man at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

lit
    2 bennetts

Stephen is in UL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

1st half,
    Poor game, pitch is in awful condition for Hurling, brick been sick is a big blow for us.

On the 3 replacements I talked about already,
    Dilion non existent useless,
    Gavin O Brien not been seen bar one good point from play.
    McNulty hot and cold after been caught for 2 frees. Bad distrubition.
    Conor Gleeson is also non existant Brendan Maher running midfield.

On a positive TDB having a stormer for us, pauric flawless from dead balls and Our full back line is playing well. Bubbles just on and will cause us problems in the second half. Mikey Kearney also very lively

Suprise surprise surprise the first 3 off are McNulty Gavin O Brien & Dillion.
    Where are the fools now?
    McNulty is the only one Id have near the panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Is it not a red now for interfering with a helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

Yes what are you referring to?

Yes what are you referring to?

Did the Waterford no6 just pull off the Tipp players helmet and just get a yellow?
    That is why I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Suprise surprise surprise the first 3 off are McNulty Gavin O Brien & Dillion.
    Where are the fools now?
    McNulty is the only one Id have near the panel
    Have to say you are correct here. I didnt think GoB was too bad, but doesnt really cut it at this level. Jake very very poor today.
    Forwards in general tbh really werent great. Awful shooting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

how many times is devine going to run into tipp players and give up the ball.
    Must have happened 6 times today

• Advertisement

Have to say you are correct here. I didnt think GoB was too bad, but doesnt really cut it at this level. Jake very very poor today.
    Forwards in general tbh really werent great. Awful shooting again.

6 points loss, Can't wait to read this thread later and see what the pro Dereck camp has to say on the matter and see are they as bullish as they were earlier in the week saying x y z and some even questioning my Hurling knowledge. Jake shouldn't be near the panel and that's final. Bunch of fools the whole county is laughing at Dereck McGrath. All this about a "process". Buying time is all he's at he hasn't a clue, only for Tadgh and Pauric today we would have been bet by a cricketscore.

Up De La Salle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Shane Bennett's shooting was woeful. Very frustrating game. Pitch looking atrocious. I know it's winter/spring but turned it into a dreadful spectacle. Tipp's scores came far easier. They just have that bit more class than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Not the best performance from Waterford. McNulty and O' Brien not up to this level. Dillon also poor as was Shane Bennett but at least with Bennett you know he will come good.
    Hopefully some other fringe players get a chance next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Shane Bennett's shooting was woeful. Very frustrating game. Pitch looking atrocious. I know it's winter/spring but turned it into a dreadful spectacle. Tipp's scores came far easier. They just have that bit more class than us.
    Austin Gleeson had a lot of wides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

A poor all round petformance but really disappointed that none of the fringe players today made any impression. We don't have the strength in depth we thought we had

Did the Waterford no6 just pull off the Tipp players helmet and just get a yellow?
    That is why I asked

No he didn't pull it off

Bit of a meh match and performance. Really missed Barron and Brick (which is worrying as this will be his last year)

We really really need to beat Dublin and Cork

Wexford winning in Galway means that they are looking very good for promotion and top place in 1B. Us finishing 4th would mean us vs wexford in walsh park in the qfs. Expect Galway or Limerick toofinish 2nd/3rd and one of Kerry/Laois 4th.

No he didn't pull it off

Okay he didn't I imagined it :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

ThaiTanic wrote:
    6 points loss, Can't wait to read this thread later and see what the pro Dereck camp has to say on the matter and see are they as bullish as they were earlier in the week saying x y z and some even questioning my Hurling knowledge. Jake shouldn't be near the panel and that's final. Bunch of fools the whole county is laughing at Dereck McGrath. All this about a "process". Buying time is all he's at he hasn't a clue, only for Tadgh and Pauric today we would have been bet by a cricketscore.

Yes you were right about the 3 players you questioned. You were always going to be right about them . The point was that they were on the panel and deserved their chance to start. They got it , they didn't take it and were rightly taken off. It doesn't mean they didn't deserve their shot at it though.
    It was a very poor second half performance. I'm not sure they even realise bubbles had come on.
    Shane Bennett- nothing seems to go right for him at all and must be lacking in confidence. He needs a break for a while.
    TDB had a great game, outside of him no-one done much . Austin Gleeson will be fine, he just needs more games .
    All in all a very poor performance today

Aussie clearly pulled Number 5's helmet, if you go by the rules he should have seen red.

Worth rewatching it on TV if you havent seen it before commenting

• Advertisement

Yes you were right about the 3 players you questioned. You were always going to be right about them . The point was that they were on the panel and deserved their chance to start. They got it , they didn't take it and were rightly taken off. It doesn't mean they didn't deserve their shot at it though.
    It was a very poor second half performance. I'm not sure they even realise bubbles had come on.
    Shane Bennett- nothing seems to go right for him at all and must be lacking in confidence. He needs a break for a while.
    TDB had a great game, outside of him no-one done much . Austin Gleeson will be fine, he just needs more games .
    All in all a very poor performance today

It's obvious what's frustrating for a class player like Shane Bennett - any decent forward would hate to be chasing 2-3 men. Thought he had a gd game except for his shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Nothing delusional about it or swallowing of pride needed. As mentioned, you were correct about the players you highlighted. All 3 are good players, just not good enough at intercounty level. They deserved to get a chance and have now proven they arent championship options. End of.

Re Mcgrath, I think everyone agrees we need to show some proper progress this year for him to be kept in the job. If we go out and get bet by Tipp in the same fashion as we have the last 2 years then it is probably time to go.

Nothing delusional about it or swallowing of pride needed. As mentioned, you were correct about the players you highlighted. All 3 are good players, just not good enough at intercounty level. They deserved to get a chance and have now proven they arent championship options. End of.

Re Mcgrath, I think everyone agrees we need to show some proper progress this year for him to be kept in the job. If we go out and get bet by Tipp in the same fashion as we have the last 2 years then it is probably time to go.

No probably about it

Worth rewatching it on TV if you havent seen it before commenting

I saw it and that is why I asked the question because I didn't know the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Its only February

You seem to have high horse syndrome. I honestly don't think we're as good as a lot on this forum would believe and today bore this out. We don't have many natural scoring forwards at this level. There's a big difference between doing it at u21 and senior. I think McGrath has done a reasonable job so far. The lads you got in a strop over were due their chance. They didn't grab it so bar several injuries I'd say that's the last start O'Brien and McNulty will get this year. And by the way I don't hide in the bushes. I just couldn't be arsed commenting most of the time, especially when it starts turning juvenile.
    Really looking forward to the following experts analysis of the match, que the comments from: mountgomery burns, Crottys Lake, HatchetMan7, deisechap09, Horseboxhead, and also the lads hiding in the bushes: Alpha Centauri, carter10, clonner123, conditioned games, danganabu, debok, Deise Vu, deisechap09, fitzall, Limestone1, Take no prisoners, TheScoringGoal, tomwaterford.

Only for Iggys saved peno, Paurics Frees and TDB's dominance we would have been bet by double digit scores today. Dillion & O Brien need to be cut from the panel as I have outlined all week, I would have serious doubts about McNulty also dosent look like he will cut it at this level. Conor Gleeson is a defender was lost at mid field. Aussie is just getting his bearings for this year wouldnt read too much into it. Shane Bennett is on a bad run for the past few weeks including the last two games he played for LIT but he is good enough to play at this level IMO. Brian O Halloran should have got the nod instead of Dillion. After Kilkennys heavy loss to Clare today how good was our victory over Kilkenny really?

Worring times for Waterford hurling in my opinion. As for the names mentioned above if your big enough to talk crap before it be man enough to swallow your medicine after it or else shut up in the future as ye are delusional about Waterford and the spoffer that is McGrath.

Agree with that. I just think Shane Bennett's shooting isn't good enough. He should either be moved further out or back to the half backs or be told to recycle the ball. He goes for a lot of hail marys as does Gleeson. Gleeson would frustrate you at times but when he's on song he can be extremely accurate. I just don't see that with Shane Bennett.
    culbaire wrote: »
    Austin Gleeson had a lot of wides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Really looking forward to the following experts analysis of the match, que the comments from: mountgomery burns, Crottys Lake, HatchetMan7, deisechap09, Horseboxhead, and also the lads hiding in the bushes: Alpha Centauri, carter10, clonner123, conditioned games, danganabu, debok, Deise Vu, deisechap09, fitzall, Limestone1, Take no prisoners, TheScoringGoal, tomwaterford.

Only for Iggys saved peno, Paurics Frees and TDB's dominance we would have been bet by double digit scores today. Dillion & O Brien need to be cut from the panel as I have outlined all week, I would have serious doubts about McNulty also dosent look like he will cut it at this level. Conor Gleeson is a defender was lost at mid field. Aussie is just getting his bearings for this year wouldnt read too much into it. Shane Bennett is on a bad run for the past few weeks including the last two games he played for LIT but he is good enough to play at this level IMO. Brian O Halloran should have got the nod instead of Dillion. After Kilkennys heavy loss to Clare today how good was our victory over Kilkenny really?

Worring times for Waterford hurling in my opinion. As for the names mentioned above if your big enough to talk crap before it be man enough to swallow your medicine after it or else shut up in the future as ye are delusional about Waterford and the spoffer that is McGrath.

Poor game today lot of poor performances and not just by the the players you talked about during the week. I thought the full back line actually played alright and tdb was very good. It's not that your analysis do be wrong its just that you came straight on here saying magrath was bias to dls etc and abused people by calling people fools and then calling people out because they disagreed with you. Also anyone that adds in that's just my opinion in most of the posts comes across as very defensive and then calling people Muppet's for having there own opinions. Your entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else. Calling everyone out because they had there own opinions different to you is bit childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

and for all your "hurling knowledge" , i'd expect you to get the name of the manager right

Up De La Salle!!!

we lost by 21 points to the same opposition not so long ago, the same team that bet kk by half time in an ai final ,get over yourself . we were in it until the goal and luck swung against us, not to mention we hunted for the goal instead of picking off points we could have sided up 1 -3 points off if we wanted to , not forgetting aussie was completely off form, but glad to see we were level ten times without him.

yes, but there was 2 involved on the ground no one saw who started it, you cant punish one without punishing the other equally, and since he didn't see anything to give 2 reds, the only sensible option was to give 2 yellows

• Advertisement

You must have ,look back on it later and see

we lost by 21 points to the same opposition not so long ago, the same team that bet kk by half time in an ai final ,get over yourself . we were in it until the goal and luck swung against us, not to mention we hunted for the goal instead of picking off points we could have sided up 1 -3 points off if we wanted to , not forgetting aussie was completely off form, but glad to see we were level ten times without him.

yes, but there was 2 involved on the ground no one saw who started it, you cant punish one without punishing the other equally, and since he didn't see anything to give 2 reds, the only sensible option was to give 2 yellows

Bet Kilkenny in an All Ireland semi at half time? Are you serious hahaha, jesus your laughable to be counting half time results to try and back up your point! Any interference with a helmet is a red simple it's in black and white, number 5 didn't interfere with aussies helmet, should have been a red and a yellow by the rules. We were never going to win today and as Eamon Dunphy said during the week when I saw Bubbles coming on I went to the back of the stand and rang the bookies haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Very poor today from a lot of the players, TDB was outstanding same with Connors, Aussie was very poor today hit some awful wides, personally think he's wasted playing Full Forward, Biggest take away from today is sadly we do not have the depth of squad i thought wee might, Non of the fringe players showed anything today to suggest they should play first team, We badly missed the Brick and Barron we won little or no dirty ball which is exactly what the two lads do very well. Forwards were very poor we rely too much on Mahony to get the scores was the same last week as well. We badly need to beat Dublin now, a defeat and we're right in the fight to stay up and with Galway loosing today and looking like another year in 1B we really need to keep ourselves out of danger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Maybe we can all chip in a few shillings and buy the Waterford Co board a lawnmower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Bet Kilkenny in an All Ireland semi at half time? Are you serious hahaha, jesus your laughable to be counting half time results to try and back up your point! Any interference with a helmet is a red simple it's in black and white, number 5 didn't interfere with aussies helmet, should have been a red and a yellow by the rules. We were never going to win today and as Eamon Dunphy said during the week when I saw Bubbles coming on I went to the back of the stand and rang the bookies haha.
    `

all ireland final not semi, youre not so good with facts are you?

yes any unprovoked interference, how do we know he didnt grab it on the way down to stop from falling , did you see it? did you see that aussies wasnt grabbed, because the camera and the linesman and the ref didnt see it, the umpires didnt signal to share what they saw, 2 yellows the fairest result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

What we need to do is play three in the full forward line not two or one with everyone else in midfield or further back

• Advertisement

`

yes any unprovoked interference, how do we know he didnt grab it on the way down to stop from falling , did you see it? did you see that aussies wasnt grabbed, because the camera and the linesman and the ref didnt see it, the umpires didnt signal to share what they saw, 2 yellows the fairest result

Your good with your English when you clearly say semi in your last post,

Yes you can clearly see it on the TV I recorded the game and watched it back there. Dosent matter about been provoked or unproveked, I don't see anything in the rules in brackets saying 'ah sher if he's provoked it's only a yellow'

You need to get your own facts right before making a fool out of yourself ;)

`

Also edit away your previous posts, you won't look as stupid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Sorry now but that is awful rubbish.

Basically, we got another lesson today from Tipp and this time in our own back yard. Half a Tipp team btw with little or nothing done.

For all this talk of Derek's systems and tactical nous Tipp were happy enough to pick us off from distance today. At no stage did we look like winning this match.

Not one of our forwards made any impact from play. We are nearly totally reliant on Paudie Mahony's frees to get scores.

For those on about Jake Dillon getting his chance, my God how many chances does he need to get. The whole county knows that himself and Gavin O'Brien wouldn't be near an inter county panel if Derek McGrath wasn't involved. McNulty deserved his chance but he was very poor.

Iggy, the full back line and TdeB were the only lads up to the standard today.

It's one thing getting beaten by a better team, but it's another thing getting beaten and having to watch the sh*te that we are serving up that is supposed to pass for hurling. It was refreshing to watch the other two games in our division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Imagine being delighted your own team loses just because you don't like the manager. How pathetic is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Imagine being delighted your own team loses just because you don't like the manager. How pathetic is that?

I don't see anyone celebrating? There's nothing wrong with criticising a performance. Jesus you'd swear McGrath was the messiah.

I don't want him sacked, I think he should be given the year to see how he does and reassess then.

That doesn't mean he's immune to criticism.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement