Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/0506150653-shanahan-unlikely-to-feature-says-connors/

Have a read of this article lads. The part about absentees, jesus wept!

First I've heard of Daniels and Barron being injured, I sense a bit of mind games here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

First I've heard of Daniels and Barron being injured, I sense a bit of mind games here

I sense typically bad reporting by the GAA website. Between themselves and RTE constantly seeing things that would have me tearing my hair out.

Like the mentioned Molumphy for christ sake. Same reporters had articles on his retirement only 7 or 8 months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Would a big waterford crowd be expected for this? Hopefully they do because it's got the making of a big occasion.

Hard to tell really. The last few years have seen some very poor Waterford turnouts. While some of this was down to the poor economic situation I believe we aren't the group of superfans we liked to believe in the 2000's but more like all other counties depend on success for a big turnout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Nearly as bad as the CCC in this county. A young fella sent off in a football game and a letter back which stated that interfering with the helmet is a red card offence.

When will we have a team, I've to be in bed early tonight? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

When will we have a team, I've to be in bed early tonight? :pac:
    He'll name another dummy team, you'll have 1-9 same as league final. Then you can only say Brick, Jake Dillon and Colin Dunford are the definites for Sunday....Stephen Bennett more than likely to start also. He probably will name Tom Devine and won't name Maurice, Shane Bennett, Brian O'Halloran...but they could easily start on Sunday. Patrick Curran and Steven Daniels are the other 2 we have in contention too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford Intermediate and Senior Hurling Teams to play Cork on Sunday in Semple Stadium in the Munster Semi-Final.
    Best of luck to all concerned.
    Hope to see large Deise support there!!!
    Waterford Intermediate Hurling Team.
    1. Eddie Lynch (Passage)
    2. Eoin Madigan (Roanmore)
    3. Jerome Maher (Geraldines)
    4. William Hahessy (Clonea)
    5. John Dee (Mount Sioin)
    6. Killian Fitzgerald (Passage)
    7. Eoin Madigan (De La Salle)
    8. Harley Barnes (Ballygunner)
    9. Pa Walsh (Passage) CAPTAIN
    10. Owen Connors (Passage)
    11. Thomas Connors (Passage)
    12. Mark O’Brien (Ferrybank)
    13. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    14. Tommy Waring (Erin’s Own)
    15. Martin F. O’Neill (Mount S ion)
    Waterford Senior Hurling Team
    1. Stephen O’Keeffe (Ballygunner)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Tadhg de Búrca (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)
    8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
    21 Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle) CAPTAIN
    11. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)
    13. Brian O’Halloran (Brian O’Halloran)
    14. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

That's a fine club Brian O Halloran plays for

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford Intermediate and Senior Hurling Teams to play Cork on Sunday in Semple Stadium in the Munster Semi-Final.
    1. Eddie Lynch (Passage)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

Just two players from the West on the intermediate team. That is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

culbaire wrote: »
    Just two players from the West on the intermediate team. That is a joke.

You would have to ask the question if players from different clubs had been asked to play and declined the opportunity to do so? Thomas Ryan Aaron O Sullivan would definitely deserve to be starting but maybe they were asked and refused to play. That would have been the case over the years with the intermediate until the last few years when the u21 players were used along with the senior players that only make up the numbers during the year for the senior squad. Has there been anyone else from the west that stood out in this year's championships that are eligible to play? Remember if you played senior intercounty last year you're ineligible to play this year's intermediate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

That's a fine club Brian O Halloran plays for

That isnt funny at all but I had to post about it because its so funny hahahahahaha Clashmore/Kinsalebeg renmed as a tribute to him

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

archieknox wrote: »
    You would have to ask the question if players from different clubs had been asked to play and declined the opportunity to do so? Thomas Ryan Aaron O Sullivan would definitely deserve to be starting but maybe they were asked and refused to play. That would have been the case over the years with the intermediate until the last few years when the u21 players were used along with the senior players that only make up the numbers during the year for the senior squad. Has there been anyone else from the west that stood out in this year's championships that are eligible to play? Remember if you played senior intercounty last year you're ineligible to play this year's intermediate.

Thomas ryan is among the subs, aswell as jason roche (passage) colm burke (roanmore) paul murray (cappaquin) eamonn murphy (dunhill) shane ahearne (stradbally) david walsh (ballygunner) among a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Whose managing the intermediates? Dosent seem to like Passage much anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If we're being honest....that goalie from passage....id have him on the seniors ahead of regan

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

I would have thought there would have been way more contenders for the intermediate selection obviously East v West crack is still alive and kicking....youd imagine cappoquin being intermediate champs that there would be more then paul murray present.. I actually thought he would be captain as it he is the only member of the cappoquin team ....

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Think Jimmy Meaney.

Those Passage Lads think everyone else is from the West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Here's to a great game of hurling on Sunday.There' s been talk about whether Cork were up for it for the league final or not but from my perspective there was a national trophy on offer and we haven't won too many of them at any level of hurling over the last decade.Waterford were outstanding on the day and they beat us emphatically and claimed a well deserved victory.I don't believe in holding back at all be it the all ireland munster the league or a game of snakes and ladders you go all out and try and win it and such talk is an insult to Waterford who were outstanding on the day.Whether Cork wanted it or not Waterford blew us out the gate and it's up to us to rectify that on Sunday.I think this year is too soon for them with regards the all ireland but Waterford will be a serious team over the next few years.People say that the league final was as good as it get' s for them but im not so sure i think Waterford will do very well in the championship this year and they will be very hard to beat on Sunday.I would certainly like to think that Cork will be well up for the game on Sunday after the league final.People are saying is there more pressure on this team or that team but this is championship hurling and the heat is on both ourselves and Waterford.Hopefully from my perspective come 5 pm on Sunday Cork will still be standing as Munster champions but we'll have to earn it and if Waterford win hopefully it will have been after one hell of a battle.

Oh and i was very critical of Derek McGrath after Waterford lost to Wexford in last years championship.I was very hurt and outraged over what happened to Michael Ryan but credit to Derek he has a national trophy under his belt and he has his team well organised and hard to beat and they have some fine hurlers as well.However it's still okay for those of you who felt hurt over what happened to Michael Ryan to still feel upset over what happened.Do not let the most biased of anti Michael Ryan elements of Waterfords support intimidate you into silence.Anyway enough of that hopefully we'll have a great game of hurling on Sunday.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

1. Eddie Lynch (Passage)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

Anyone have the list of subs for the Senior game?

Whos likely to see action

Top drawer wrote: »
    Thomas ryan is among the subs, aswell as jason roche (passage) colm burke (roanmore) paul murray (cappaquin) eamonn murphy (dunhill) shane ahearne (stradbally) david walsh (ballygunner) among a few others

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

If we're being honest....that goalie from passage....id have him on the seniors ahead of regan
    Was on it earlier in the year but wasn't up to the required standard apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

youd imagine cappoquin being intermediate champs that there would be more then paul murray present..

Its never as simple as that though. Some lads aren't arsed, and some clubs don't want their players involved. The Cork team is short of some representatives from big intermediate clubs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Great perspective from enda McEvoy in the examiner

'It is not an equally big match for both sides. Cork simply have to win. There is no way around this.

Lose here and Waterford will process it, get over it, rearrange the furniture as needs be and move on. The season will still be a resounding triumph and Derek McGrath will still, barring an All-Ireland victory for Limerick or Wexford or Galway, be hurling manager of the year.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Looking forward to the match tomorrow, hope it's not a dummy team named, don't think it helps anybody if that's the case. I think it's a 50/50 game, I wouldn't be as confident as some posters, hopefully we can get over the line.

As an aside, there's a free fantasy game on the munster GAA website where you have to pick the best five players for scoring points and getting assists etc, with match tickets as prizes, worth a peep. Link below

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/05/22/play-munster-gaa-fantasy-pick-5-for-this-summers-munster-senior-hurling-championship-games/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great perspective from enda McEvoy in the examiner

'It is not an equally big match for both sides. Cork simply have to win. There is no way around this.

Lose here and Waterford will process it, get over it, rearrange the furniture as needs be and move on. The season will still be a resounding triumph and Derek McGrath will still, barring an All-Ireland victory for Limerick or Wexford or Galway, be hurling manager of the year.'

Enjoyed that article, as usual.

Enda McEvoy for my money is the best hurling writer around, and while maybe it's a little unfair to compare the Watetford team of the noughties to an orchestra without a bass section, you'd have to admire his way with words.

Always have to smirk as well when I see a KK man saying that this is a "must win" game for Cork. Old habits die hard.

His article on Shefflin's retirement was wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Orizio wrote: »
    Its never as simple as that though. Some lads aren't arsed, and some clubs don't want their players involved. The Cork team is short of some representatives from big intermediate clubs as well.

I think this time its down to the bosses ..in fairness half thd team are from passage ..lets hope they have the hurling ...best of luck to both teams on sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow. Here's to a good day and match. Unfortunately will have to watch it on GAAGO here in Holland.
    Up The Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Will young Bennett or Shanahan be on the frees tomorrow?

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Enjoyed that article, as usual.

Enda McEvoy for my money is the best hurling writer around, and while maybe it's a little unfair to compare the Watetford team of the noughties to an orchestra without a bass section, you'd have to admire his way with words.

Always have to smirk as well when I see a KK man saying that this is a "must win" game for Cork. Old habits die hard.

His article on Shefflin's retirement was wonderful.

Ya Enda is a brilliant writer always enjoy his column - he sees the game in a straightforward way and expresses that very well....

The joys of car pooling to a match. No that's too early to go/ no that's to late to go

If I was in charge id be gone at 10am but can't drive

Think we're leaving at 12.30 in the morning going up the kilkenny route to thurles

Best of luck to other Waterford managers who have games this weekend. Jason Ryan and michael Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The joys of car pooling to a match. No that's too early to go/ no that's to late to go

Think we're leaving at 12.30 in the morning going up the kilkenny route to thurles

Best of luck to other Waterford managers who have games this weekend. Jason Ryan and michael Ryan

I bet you have one fella who's always late as well!

• Advertisement

I am the same - I can't leave early enough, plus I have to watch every minute of the intermediate as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Aah some lads always to leave it to the last minute I've been up here since Friday. Proper order :-)

Who ever heard of an inter goalie from passage :-p ( miss you laylay)

Galways huge victory over Dublin shows that league and championship are different animals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

:eek:
    Il be in thurles before you even leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Galways huge victory over Dublin shows that league and championship are different animals .

Sure the last time they played it was a draw. It just goes to show that anything can happen on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our teams & management tomorrow
    Up the Deise

:eek:
    Il be in thurles before you even leave

Dad and uncle don't want to go into the intermediate match. They said the second half will do. Officially finished work food then bed.

Enjoy tomorrow everyone

C'mon Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well the day is finally here. Have been pacing around like a man on death row all day, one minute thinking we've a solid 1-9 which will be the platform for victory, next minute thinking Cork will have huge motivation which will see them through. Really hard to call what way it'll go.

Going to stay up until throw in, maybe try grab the Iteland v England game as a distraction to the nerves beforehand! Going to desperately try find a stream somewhere online. If not I'll have to make do with tuning in to Kieran O'Conner and Co. It's at times like this I hate living away from home, would give anything to be in Thurles today.
    Would anyone mind posting up regular updates of the intermediate game, thanks in advance.

To all the lads and management of the seniors, intermediates and even primary game - the very best of luck, we're all right behind ye.

COME ON THE DÉISE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well the day is finally here. Have been pacing around like a man on death row all day, one minute thinking we've a solid 1-9 which will be the platform for victory, next minute thinking Cork will have huge motivation which will see them through. Really hard to call what way it'll go.

Going to stay up until throw in, maybe try grab the Iteland v England game as a distraction to the nerves beforehand! Going to desperately try find a stream somewhere online. If not I'll have to make do with tuning in to Kieran O'Conner and Co. It's at times like this I hate living away from home, would give anything to be in Thurles today.
    Would anyone mind posting up regular updates of the intermediate game, thanks in advance.

To all the lads and management of the seniors, intermediates and even primary game - the very best of luck, we're all right behind ye.

COME ON THE DÉISE!!!

Twitter is your best bet for updates in the intermediate

Greetings from thurles weather has recovered this morning bright calm and cool blue sky light white fluffy clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Greetings from thurles weather has recovered this morning bright calm and cool blue sky light white fluffy clouds

Is this Donal Óg Cusack??

Is this Donal Óg Cusack??

No no just someone who's father lives in thurles so been here since Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Cake Man wrote: »

COME ON THE DÉISE!!!

same here. you can pay 10 euro and watch it on gaago. its a brilliant service. Was able to watch dublin galway game plus christy ring cup plus laois kildare matches yesterday. But would love to be drinking a large bottle in Thurles now waiting for the match. Up The Deise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭crottys lake

I see no need to change my prediction of a Waterford win. The key for me is our workrate over the full 70 odd minutes. I expect Cork to match us in that department this time and especially early on but will they be able to keep that intensity for the entire match. I am pretty certain that we can while at the same time retaining our composure in front of goal to get the all important score.

I have little doubt that the bench might be the winning of the game if it is tight all the way through [ I don't really expect that though]. In that regard the springing of the likes of Tom Devine, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Eddie Barrett, Stephen Daniels etc could prove decisive.

I have a certain calm about today insofar as the team are very well prepared and have a great mentality as the hour approaches. I can't see our touch deserting us either and confidence is a good thing. If it goes wrong then so be it. No two hurling games are alike and the League win counts for little when the ball is thrown in but I certainly would not change one thing about the Waterford set up before this game other than maybe playing Stephen Bennett full forward with support. I feel he might be our key man today.

Come on Waterford, let's get this done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

obviously there's going to be a huge kick in cork from the last day. that will manifest itself in the first 5-10 minutes when we'll have to cope with what they throw at us tactically and physically. that means workrate will be crucial - in the league i saw one or two of our lads going off exhausted with 10 or 15 minutes to go after putting in a massive effort. this is championship so those efforts will have to be redoubled.
    beyond that i'm worried about where our scores will come from, especially if the free-taking goes badly. sometimes our players seem to play to win frees but thats no good if they're going wide. hopefully barron moran gleeson and philip mahony will be able to pick off a few long-range points.
    cork will have a plan. i presume their corner backs will be more precise in their deliveries than they were in the league final. move the ball from line to line as donal o grady said in his column yesterday. lots of speculation that horgan will drift out the field which would make sense from their point of view. expect a massive game from aidan walsh after all the criticism he's taken in recent times.
    cork are bookies favourites and i see they're being tipped to win by anthony daly, john fogarty, eddie brennan, damien lawlor, jamesie o'connor etc in their previews. a few going for waterford too. hope i'm wrong but i think cork might get ahead of us early on and win by 4 or 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The wanderly wagon

Best of luck to waterford hurlers today. If they perform to their best they will be hard beaten.

I think it's great that there is a bit of talk and excitement around the team again, if they win it would be great to get back in a munster final, and the chance to win another trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Quite poor so far. 7 wides in 15 mins and giving Cork loads of room up to half way and Cork picking off points at ease. They need to switch things before half time. 3 wides from Glesson - great talent but never seems to learn about putting in a decent ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mad first half, such a pity Moran couldn't have played in Dunford for a third goal. Keep running at them and there's more in this, come on Waterford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement