Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

DiscoStew wrote: »
    What year did Pauric Mahony score a goal with the last puck to beat St Carthages in the u21 final in Fraher Field? Played half of the game with an ankle injury limping around the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Blueblaa was right, apologies. So they won 3 in a row in 2012, did they win last year as well?

4/5 wouldn't be bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Anyone at the DLS v Blackwater Harty cup match yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

robopaddy2 wrote: »

I must say I was looking forward to a report of that game here also.
    I thought there would be more talk of the harty cup here given waterford recent under age success but there seems little talk here on the harty cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

It was today, DLS won by 7 points.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    It was today, DLS won by 7 points.

Anyone got the teams / scorers / who stood out etc?

DLS were 5 points down at one stage and were 3 points down at half-time but came back and won by 7 points. My son said it was a good game, I'll find out more from him in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Anyone know why Dungarvan CBS are not playing Harty this year? Did they voluntarily drop back to B grade?? Supposedly Douglas single handedly won the game for De la Salle. I'm not expecting much of either teams this year to be honest.

I don't know what's been happening down in De La Salle College for the last few years, they should be a lot more competitive then recent years results suggest..

Waternut wrote: »
    Anyone know why Dungarvan CBS are not playing Harty this year? Did they voluntarily drop back to B grade?? Supposedly Douglas single handedly won the game for De la Salle. I'm not expecting much of either teams this year to be honest.

I don't know what's been happening down in De La Salle College for the last few years, they should be a lot more competitive then recent years results suggest..

Dungarvan CBS would not be near competitive enough. A very small school of 300 pupils. They probably punched above their weight the last few years with the exceptional group of players that passed through the likes of Curran, Dunford, Donnelly, Harney etc. They were never going to sustain that long term. In fact the second year they won the Harty & Croke cup combined with St Augustines I'm convinced CBS would have been good enough to actually win it out on their own.
    It then beggared belief that the following year they were forced to stand alone when most of the best players had moved on. Made zero sense. if they were going to ban the amalgated team surely the time to do it was when they had a superior group of top class players (bear in mind the likes of De Burca and Devine were on it from Augustines). A pity that now we are left with no Harty cup team from the Dungarvan/Midwest region. The combined team had competed for about 10 or 12 years in the Harty yet the first time they had success they were banned as a result.

Im not sure why DLS seemed to have fallen off the radar. In fairness it was always going to be hard to emulate the all-conquering 07,08 sides but I think across the board on Waterford underage hurling we are going to witness a bit of a slump over the next few years in comparison to the relative success of the past 7/8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I understand that the CBS wouldn't be as competitive this year, however the likes of Clonmel wouldn't be much stronger. These things come in cycles. I really hope they allow the Dungarvan Colleges team back into the competition.

Regarding De La Salle College, I'm not expecting them to be winning the competition regularly, its a tough comp to win, however they have being getting pretty bad beatings over the last two or three years. Considering their pick and clubs they draw from, they should be a lot more competitive. Anyone know who is over them or what's happening in there??

• Advertisement

I understand that the CBS wouldn't be as competitive this year, however the likes of Clonmel wouldn't be much stronger. These things come in cycles. I really hope they allow the Dungarvan Colleges team back into the competition.

Regarding De La Salle College, I'm not expecting them to be winning the competition regularly, its a tough comp to win, however they have being getting pretty bad beatings over the last two or three years. Considering their pick and clubs they draw from, they should be a lot more competitive. Anyone know who is over them or what's happening in there??

I’m not sure how schools are graded but theres no point a school entering a competition to get walloped. I assume CBS are back in the B’ or even C’ competitions where they traditionally compete. Blackwater are only standing alone at Harty level since around 09 after they won the All Ireland B’with Maurice Shanahan and Darragh Fives. Since then they’ve been competitive and won a Dean Ryan (u16), but with a small enough feeder-area populationswise you can’t assume they will always be competitive either. God forbid we would only have one Harty Cup team considering all other counties have a much stronger representations

Dermot Dooley is over DLS. My son said Harry Ruddle, Tonto and I think he said Peter Avery had a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Is the draw on tonight for next years Munster championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cake Man wrote: »
    Is the draw on tonight for next years Munster championship?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

To be honest with you now Mick I'd be hoping Tallow take the field with a bit more fire in their bellies than that.

Well it's just aswell I'm not playing on Sunday so isn't it😜.
    Let there be no fear of the fire in our lads bellies but more importantly there'll be no fear of their hurling intelligence either. Fire and brimstone won't win this game and there's a lot more to this Tallow team than that.
    See ye all Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Dermot Dooley is over DLS. My son said Harry Ruddle, Tonto and I think he said Peter Avery had a great game.

Thanks Missus Avery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Clare in Munster semis next year, not bad.

Tip v cork in quarters with winners facing limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Well it's just aswell I'm not playing on Sunday so isn't it😜.
    Let there be no fear of the fire in our lads bellies but more importantly there'll be no fear of their hurling intelligence either. Fire and brimstone won't win this game and there's a lot more to this Tallow team than that.
    See ye all Sunday.

"Hurling intelligence" is it?

That's alright so. As long as you don't fcuk up another perfectly good county final.

"Hurling intelligence" is it?

That's alright so. As long as you don't fcuk up another perfectly good county final.

Ha ha! I really hope a Tallow win won't fcuk up your "perfectly good county final"

JesusRef wrote: »
    Thanks Missus Avery

Wrong mother, I'm the mum of another DLS lad not mentioned though. :)

• Advertisement

Wrong mother, I'm the mum of another DLS lad not mentioned though. :)

If your Mrs Douglas keep feeding him whatever it is youve been feeding him 😁

If your Mrs Douglas keep feeding him whatever it is youve been feeding him 😁

Not her either :D

Imo not a great draw for waterford as if clare sort there house there much more refined sweeper system with serious forwards will cause waterford problems
    Podge Collins is going back so it yet again proves it is totally united camp despite rumours which were not correct ct

Davy knows waterford inside out and also waterford will be huge favourite on last year and waterford don't do favourite tags well
    Imo cork with new management, limerick serious problems in camp, Tipperary in transition would have been better

Clare yes have problems but with Collins coming back it is huge progress and clare have huge talent with like him or not in davy a proven management
    Apparently Kinnerk is going back and if so it's a huge bonus to clare

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Ha ha! I really hope a Tallow win won't fcuk up your "perfectly good county final"

Micko, that's not even remotely funny.

By the way I see all your "Wesht Awake" brethren have deserted you and left you to mount the great hillbilly revival on your own.

Best of luck boy.

Think Derek McGrath will be happy enough with that draw. Getting directly into the semis is the big thing, avoiding the quarter final game. No doubt Davy will be the same. Didn't have a preference as to who we drew, bar maybe Cork. But there are no easy games in Munster. It's 9 months away, really no point wasting time talking about what type of game it will be or will this guy or that guy be playing. 9 months is an awful long time sport. Take the draw move on and start getting ready for the league.

Think Derek McGrath will be happy enough with that draw. Getting directly into the semis is the big thing, avoiding the quarter final game. No doubt Davy will be the same. Didn't have a preference as to who we drew, bar maybe Cork. But there are no easy games in Munster. It's 9 months away, really no point wasting time talking about what type of game it will be or will this guy or that guy be playing. 9 months is an awful long time sport. Take the draw move on and start getting ready for the league.
    I'd agree nine months anything can happen as last year proved with injuries etc.

The good news is as you said getting to a semi means win that and your in the all ireland race as there's only three main games then
    I think looking at the opposition, cork would possibly have been a tough draw in having beaten cork twice past year cork would been well up for it but on the other side cork have to develop a style with new management so cork it's fair to say no one fears them.

Imo tippeary would have been an ideal draw as tipp are in transition and waterford would have huge motivation from last year defeat.
    Aside from them limerick would been a good draw as there talk limerick have problems according to the media and limerick don't play a sweeper and clare caused them huge problems last year with out key players playing a system like that.
    Waterford system certainly limerick imo would not favour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'd agree nine months anything can happen as last year proved with injuries etc.

The good news is as you said getting to a semi means win that and your in the all ireland race as there's only three main games then
    I think looking at the opposition, cork would possibly have been a tough draw in having beaten cork twice past year cork would been well up for it but on the other side cork have to develop a style with new management so cork it's fair to say no one fears them.

Imo tippeary would have been an ideal draw as tipp are in transition and waterford would have huge motivation from last year defeat.
    Aside from them limerick would been a good draw as there talk limerick have problems according to the media and limerick don't play a sweeper and clare caused them huge problems last year with out key players playing a system like that.
    Waterford system certainly limerick imo would not favour at all.

TTM
    I think it would be fair to say anybody who played Limerick last yr caused us problems inc Westmeath so the Clare missing a few one is jaded at this stage.Collins return if he can get to 2013 level would be a big boost to them but that's only an if at this stage plus though top class forwards are always welcome I feel its a few top class backs they need more than forwards so as already has been said its a long time away yet but for me Waterford have less to be worrying about clare than clare have of Waterford if you know what I mean.

lim4ev wrote: »
    TTM
    I think it would be fair to say anybody who played Limerick last yr caused us problems inc Westmeath so the Clare missing a few one is jaded at this stage.Collins return if he can get to 2013 level would be a big boost to them but that's only an if at this stage plus though top class forwards are always welcome I feel its a few top class backs they need more than forwards so as already has been said its a long time away yet but for me Waterford have less to be worrying about clare than clare have of Waterford if you know what I mean.
    There valid points but it seems to be at least ear marked with defence as clare under twenty one full back Fitzgerald from clonlara has been called up

It remains to be seen what Kinnerk is doing but if he joins clare it's huge bonus to them.
    It's been posted by a clare poster Kinnerk is meant to be joining them.
    Time will tell.
    I agree anyone that played limerick last year caused limerick problem but clare had a few missing.
    Clare and waterford will be a close game but as a clare poster on there thread said winning four under twenty one all ireland shows the hurling talent is there and I think they will be strong and even on the cork thread before the draw was made said I'd prefer cork avoided them.

Waterford will have o mahony back which will be a huge bonus and he's an outstanding hurler and one I have huge hurling respect for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

This is a thread about Waterford GAA generally - nobody owns the thread or gets to set the rules about who can or cannot post on it (except the mods). It is not exclusively for Waterford Posters.

If you don't like a post or feel it is against the GAA forum Charter, use the report function and the mods will deal with it. Backseat moderation is not acceptable and adds nothing to the thread.

By all means use the ignore poster function if you want - that's what it is there for but if you post on thread that you have/are/intend to ignore a poster, take it that you will be carded.

If you have a problem with this, PM me or use the report button, do not respond on thread.

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone said anybody shouldn't post here, just a plea for the sanity of all of us to consider ignoring one particular poster.

Hardly anything wrong with that is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With cusack park in ennis being redeveloped will the clare Co board not try and get next year's munster semi final played there to show off the stadium and knowing our county board they will agree to play it there

It will prob be thurles on the Sunday of the June bank holiday

Beat Clare and we're hurling into late summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Don't think anyone said anybody shouldn't post here, just a plea for the sanity of all of us to consider ignoring one particular poster.

Hardly anything wrong with that is there?

Singling out and ridiculing a poster is not ok by me. It's a form of bullying in my book. Maybe I'm over reacting but this is not the place for me anymore. I'm out of here

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Singling out and ridiculing a poster is not ok by me. It's a form of bullying in my book. Maybe I'm over reacting but this is not the place for me anymore. I'm out of here

I guess I'm talking to myself but feels like we're all being taunted.

Might be hard to empathize with it, but its incredibly frustrating. He makes valid points, but when it comes to Waterford nothing the lads do is ever good enough. If you expect to continuously make that point, to a people who turned up 14,000 strong to welcome home the players on a dark day for Waterford hurling because that is what it means, and at the same time not expect a backlash from those that post here well all I can say is you haven't really put any thought into the whole process at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Is this in relation to my (now seemingly removed) broken record post?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Is this in relation to my (now seemingly removed) broken record post?

No mine aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

As much as we gave out about Up the Deise forum all those years ago at least you could have a bit of craic on it

The mod has got it wrong on this one. Bit of an overreaction. Need to familiarise themselves with the history on this page to understand the nature of the posters and responses. Theres worse crap going on here regularly that seems to be overlooked. Maybe time to start afresh with a new thread. Otherwise lets keep it in the deise spirit!!!

The more I think about it, David O Sullivan could be a big loss. Was influential the last day he is a big player for Ballygunner, could have more of an impact than I thought.

Think they'll still win but they may well have to sweat it out.

The more I think about it, David O Sullivan could be a big loss. Was influential the last day he is a big player for Ballygunner, could have more of an impact than I thought.

Think they'll still win but they may well have to sweat it out.

Wasn't there some mix up with the sending off? Wrong player singled out or something?

archieknox wrote: »
    Wasn't there some mix up with the sending off? Wrong player singled out or something?

No idea what the fallout was just that he was the one shown it at least thats what I saw.

Anyone know whats actually happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

No idea what the fallout was just that he was the one shown it at least thats what I saw.

Anyone know whats actually happened?

Abused the referee after blew for full time apparently. Strange one considering had won, normally if someone having words with ref it's after losing. I didn't think he was particularly hard on them, their persistent questioning of his decisions was mind boggling considering throughout the game, and in many other games I have seen recently, the ball is immediately brought forward for this.

Abused the referee after blew for full time apparently. Strange one considering had won, normally if someone having words with ref it's after losing. I didn't think he was particularly hard on them, their persistent questioning of his decisions was mind boggling considering throughout the game, and in many other games I have seen recently, the ball is immediately brought forward for this.

Incredibly stupid thing to do

Incredibly stupid thing to do

Heard earlier that the Ballygunner appeal was successful so that solves that. Apparently it was David O Sullivan was sent off but he wrote down another player's name on his report!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

archieknox wrote: »
    Heard earlier that the Ballygunner appeal was successful so that solves that. Apparently it was David O Sullivan was sent off but he wrote down another player's name on his report!

So he's free to play? The ref 100% flashed the card at David and I doubt he wouldn't know him. If the wrong name was wrote it's a very strange sequence of events.

So he's free to play? The ref 100% flashed the card at David and I doubt he wouldn't know him. If the wrong name was wrote it's a very strange sequence of events.

Think that may have been Tommy O Sullivan's way of backtracking after flashing the red card.

That is what I'm led to believe.

Wouldnt be surprised if Tommy sullivan got the name wrong. I know him personally and as a ref he has no interest in who players are even some of the famous county players over the years he wouldnt know them. Good ref though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Maybe the ref suffers from the undermentioned condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Senior panel back in the gym already. Haven't heard of any new recruits yet?

Wouldnt be surprised if Tommy sullivan got the name wrong. I know him personally and as a ref he has no interest in who players are even some of the famous county players over the years he wouldnt know them. Good ref though

Not really an excuse. If he took the number and got a copy of the programme that would be that problem sorted pretty easily.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement