Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

This Waterford team are really bucking trends.
    I cant remember a defensive team lose goals like that and fall so far behind, yet put a big score and came back to win.
    it is the first time a 1B side has knocked out 2 1A sides to get to the final.

Great credit - I am a traditionalist and the first time we get beaten I will probably blame the 'system ' and Derek, but the man has some amount of balls - a new system, as a Rookie manager with a young team - none of us, not even him knew where this will lead to so you have to admire his conviction

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Patrick Curran is in 1st year UCC

My apologies i heard he was concentrating on exams and assumed he was still in Leaving cert. Any particular reason why he didn't join up with the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

In terms of open spaces Thurles is well known to ideal for open hurling and playing the width of the ptich like croke park

It's well known all right. Doesn't make it correct though.

If I were a Tipp Supporter I would be asking why does this team always seem to come out the wrong end of tight games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

My apologies i heard he was concentrating on exams and assumed he was still in Leaving cert. Any particular reason why he didn't join up with the panel?
    He was asked a few times but didn't join up, I'd say he was knackered to be honest, non stop harty cup, club games and county minor for the last 3 years. The rest will do him good, a year with the u21s do no harm, they should give it a good shot this year if Derek Lyons can get the panel together including the senior lads

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

deiseach wrote: »
    How much bigger are Thurles and Croke Park than Nowlan Park?

Length is about the same but width is significantly wider in thurles and Croke Park, hence why so many sidelines in Nolan park today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Ones worry with Waterford system is total defence side if picked off from distance is the problems in bigger spaces like Thurles and croke park that may arise

despite Nowlan Park being the same dimensions as Croke Park? And that Thurles is only marginally (2m) wider?

bruschi wrote: »
    despite Nowlan Park being the same dimensions as Croke Park? And that Thurles is only marginally (2m) wider?

Yep, Thurlas 145-90m
    Croke park 145-88m
    Nolan Park 145-88m

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Length is about the same but width is significantly wider in thurles and Croke Park, hence why so many sidelines in Nolan park today.

Nowlan Park - 145x88m
    Croke Park - 144.5x88m
    Semple Stadium - 145x90m

Theres really bugger all difference. Nowlan Park seems tighter because theres much less clearence to the stands but the playing dimensions are all very very similar

Gaelic Grounds would be a good example of a smaller field at 137x82

• Advertisement

Tipperary GAA's website says that Semple Stadium's pitch is 145m x 80m. The GAA's rules say that the minimum width of the pitch is 80m. Does this mean that Nowlan Park is significantly short of those minimum dimensions?

I don't think Derek and co will be worrying about the 'wide open spaces' of Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

That's it in a nutshell

That's it in a nutshell

except it's not and it is totally wrong and your point is totally incorrect and invalid. Nowlan Park is the exact same dimensions as Croke Park.

That's it in a nutshell

Theres been about 6 posts listing exact dimensions of the pitchs. Are you purposely ignoring them so they dont prove this "wide open spaces" theory wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Goes without saying that it was a fantastic result today. Smashing performance too, even moreso considering the early double goal whammy. Very impressed with the workrate and fight of this team, some classy scoretaking too. All that said though, still plenty to work on, which is the best way to have it really. My MOTM was Barron, although Moran, Shanahan, Paudie, Tadgh de Burca all excellent too.

The GAA takes a lot (often deserved) criticism over ticket prices and venue fixing for matches, but they got it spot on today. €15 for two top quality matches is excellent value for money, the venue was perfect and ensured a great atmosphere compared to say a half full Semple Stadium or a quarter full Croker. The Nowlan Park groundsmen had the pitch in fine fettle too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

The naysayers are finally starting to slacken off here.

'Shur weve beaten no one yet. Shur tis only the league. Seamus callinan will show us how its done' whats it now? 'Shur were the only fools trying to win the league......'

• Advertisement

Will there be anywhere showing highlights? A lot of action was hard to see from down low on the 21 meter line :o

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tipperary 2-23- Waterford 0-12

After this latest load of tripe would you ever just go away ta fukk

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

At the end of the day will the results of a game be decided by dimensions ? Personally i think it's a moot point as all counties will have to factor it in somewhere along the line. If the team is good enough it wont matter...To my eyes that Waterford team looked constrained and i think the bigger the pitch the better they will be ......I think Walsh Park is only about 140 x 80 ? so hopefully theyll enjoy having the constraints off ..... Im tryin to look on the bright side here ...help me out LOL

KevIRL wrote: »
    After this latest load of tripe would you ever just go away ta fukk
    it's good in a way though because for every game, he has predicted a loss for us, but we've ended up winning. he's a gas f*cker

Stop talking about pitch dimensions

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Stop talking about pitch dimensions

Lets move onto the height of the goal posts. Its well known corks accuracy is influenced by the wind resistance caused by these above the 6 meter mark

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

F**K Jeez I've just noticed that i joined in 2004 Jeez Boy i'm gettin old.......

Lets move onto the height of the goal posts. Its well known corks accuracy is influenced by the wind resistance caused by these above the 6 meter mark
    haha

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

deiseach wrote: »
    Tipperary GAA's website says that Semple Stadium's pitch is 145m x 80m. The GAA's rules say that the minimum width of the pitch is 80m. Does this mean that Nowlan Park is significantly short of those minimum dimensions?

I don't think Derek and co will be worrying about the 'wide open spaces' of Thurles.

Perfect example why websites can be wrong. At 80 meters in width it would make thurles the narrowst pitch in the country which is incorrect. To answer your original question the best way to get an idea is going to the grounds and viewing the pitch first hand to get the real picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

Great win today.
    Has a venue for the League Final been decided by the Gaa yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

The presumption is Thurles for final why not Nowlan park again

3ships wrote: »
    The presumption is Thurles for final why not Nowlan park again

It'll be Thurles but I'd love Nowlan Park again.

I thought Brick and Moran were just brilliant today - they worked so hard, brick chased down multiple lost causes and won frees - hero's.
    We are a bit too reliant on frees for scores - hopefully we wont come a croper over this.
    The O'Mahonys, TdeB, Barron, Dunford, Moran, Brick all excellent. And of course Maurice - great to see the man back and playing like that - leading from the front.

One worry is Gleeson, he is very talented but seems a poor decision maker and a very lazy tackler, if a man gets a yard inside him he will foul him every time instread of trying to tackle him honestly and time after time trying for the monster point... how long have people been saying this about him now, hopefully the penny drops and soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Does everyone realise that all the goals today were scored into the city end of Nowlan Park?

Some more pitch conspiracy for you all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Fair play to ye lads, ye punished Tipp for every mistake they made and fúck me we made enough... And don't believe any of that "it's only the league" shyte. Ye seem to be improving with every game so the extra game could make a massive difference come championship time. Best of luck for the final..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Despite what stated dimensions at Nowlan Pk are quoted, it is clearly a short pitch. Freetakers ,at their ease pointing in their own half, today. Goalies lobbing puckouts onto the opposition 21. Nash almost hitting a puckout wide. This doesn't happen in Croke Pk/Semple/PUC

Ye, not liking Thurles anymore, a good few defeats the last couple of years there after it being such a good ground for us for so long. Plus a festival weekend in Kilkenny the May weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Let it be in thurles....but This was Waterford best result in years and every bit as good a performance as the high point of Mike Ryan's era v kk a few years ago....that's a serious marker Waterford put down today....it was no fluke result and they were full value IMO for the win

Onwards for them :)

Though if one slightly annoying area is the amount of tipp puck outs that were won uncontested in front of the part covered stand was terrible....I think it was 6 in a row uncontested properly at one stage.....helped give tipp a platform to build attacks??

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

what a game what a result!

Despite what stated dimensions at Nowlan Pk are quoted, it is clearly a short pitch. Freetakers ,at their ease pointing in their own half, today. Goalies lobbing puckouts onto the opposition 21. Nash almost hitting a puckout wide. This doesn't happen in Croke Pk/Semple/PUC

Only towards the city end with the wind. And it does happen in Semple, PUC and anywhere with an open end. Nash has regularly hit the opposite 21 and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy with the win love being wrong about results. I want to make a statement on behalf of myself

The only reason I'm so pessimistic is because I'm afraid to be positive because I would just end up disapointed ( I suffer from personal issues ). I'm a big Waterford supporter and really hope we do well. That's the last I will discuss about that and want discussed by other users.

It's bonus territory to be in the final and hopefully I'm able to go. I wish we were playing Dublin as it would be sometime different fan wise but it will give us an indication of were we are.

I think it will be thurles as a double header with the camoige div 1 final

Perfect example why websites can be wrong. At 80 meters in width it would make thurles the narrowst pitch in the country which is incorrect. To answer your original question the best way to get an idea is going to the grounds and viewing the pitch first hand to get the real picture.

so you want to ignore actual stated facts and go on assumptions? fair enough. I'd advise to ask Brian Cody why the pitch dimensions of Nowlan park are the exact same as Croke Park, and why it is that way.

In any case, the point being that to say Waterfords tactics wont work because of pitch size has been proven to be incorrect, and is not a valid reason to dismiss their tactics. there are other reasons why I believe they wont work come championship, but its not to do with pitch dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

We're in a national final after a fantastic performance and we are on here discussing dimensions of different pitches!! What next? The prices of the apples oranges and chocolate at each ground?!! Can we get back to discussing the most important things like the team/game

Happy with the win love being wrong about results. I want to make a statement on behalf of myself

The only reason I'm so pessimistic is because I'm afraid to be positive because I would just end up disapointed ( I suffer from personal issues ). I'm a big Waterford supporter and really hope we do well. That's the last I will discuss about that and want discussed by other users.

It's bonus territory to be in the final and hopefully I'm able to go. I wish we were playing Dublin as it would be sometime different fan wise but it will give us an indication of were we are.

Fair enough. Might be worth considering how frustrating the constant negativity and pessimism is for others on here before you post though. Will leave it at that and wish you all the best with any health issues.

• Advertisement

Don't mind Thurles of course, how wide are the corner flags there?

On a serious note, Waterford always do well in the Championship after getting to a league final. 63 ,98,04,07 -- 2015 I expect to be similar, would any more be pushing it ....

Well we went 6/7 points down playing with extra men in defence and still won the game. Did we change anything when we were down so much? I didn't think we went too defensive today as we did against Galway but i could be wrong. Any thoughts?

I guess Thurles is the most obvious geographical choice for a Waterford-Cork final, but wasn't it great to be in a venue where the attendance wasn't dwarfed by the capacity? Really added to the atmosphere. It also helped to be surrounded by Waterford fans, hasn't happened often of late. There was something in my eye as we all rose to applaud the panel as they warmed down...

Just to put some figures out there regarding 'the league doesn't matter' brigade.

Waterford league finals in recent times

1998 (lost to Cork). Munster finalists, AI semi finalists
    2004 (lost to Galway). Munster champions, AI semi finalists
    2007 (beat KK). Munster champions, AI semi finalists.

Granted we didn't go onto win the big one but safe to say we have a good summer after a very strong league.

You are always entitled to your opinion without having to explain yourself....
    We are Waterford after all - a bit of caution is there in all of us no matter who we are playing!
    But you know what it makes us enjoy the good days more

3ships wrote: »
    Don't mind Thurles of course, how wide are the corner flags there?

On a serious note, Waterford always do well in the Championship after getting to a league final. 63 ,98,04,07 -- 2015 I expect to be similar, would any more be pushing it ....

Haha. Snap. Was just writing my post so missed this one. Great minds and all that jazz....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

so you want to ignore actual stated facts and go on assumptions? fair enough. I'd advise to ask Brian Cody why the pitch dimensions of Nowlan park are the exact same as Croke Park, and why it is that way.

In any case, the point being that to say Waterfords tactics wont work because of pitch size has been proven to be incorrect, and is not a valid reason to dismiss their tactics. there are other reasons why I believe they wont work come championship, but its not to do with pitch dimensions.

Stated facts? Numbers pulled from a website claiming that Thurles is a narrow pitch ect? I prefer using my own eyesight to see goalkeepers driving puckouts the length of the field, free takers scoring pts from their own 45 at their ease fullback line clearences landing on the 21 ect ect. Unless the laws of physics are corrupted in that place Nowlan Pk is a short field.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

All taken in good faith had with a smile. After the disappointments between 98 2008 it is reasonable to be cautious but wasn't it so much fun. We may be on a role again but this time it is a more balanced team, not depending on one or two individuals to get us a win. This looks like a happy cohesive team. The work rate has been mentioned already, but there is also skill, confidence and belief. For many years a game like today would have been lost, after two early goals or a free for a win in the closing seconds. Have some belief this team is going places and it's going to be funðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Just to put some figures out there regarding 'the league doesn't matter' brigade.

Waterford league finals in recent times

1998 (lost to Cork). Munster finalists, AI semi finalists
    2004 (lost to Galway). Munster champions, AI semi finalists
    2007 (beat KK). Munster champions, AI semi finalists.

Granted we didn't go onto win the big one but safe to say we have a good summer after a very strong league.

Different times these days though. Hopefully we have a good long summer but league and championship are different. I'd be frightened in the qualifiers anyone can beat anyone. The best thing for us to do is beat cork in the semi final and escape the qualifers lol

Stated facts? Numbers pulled from a website claiming that Thurles is a narrow pitch ect? I prefer using my own eyesight to see goalkeepers driving puckouts the length of the field, free takers scoring pts from their own 45 at their ease fullback line clearences landing on the 21 ect ect. Unless the laws of physics are corrupted in that place Nowlan Pk is a short field.

Satellite view on google maps has goal to goal measured at 145m. Better then your eyes? Jesus you should take over from the Hubble Telescope. We could find life!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement