Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Ropaire wrote: »
    There's no easy solution really, he's going to get alot of stick for it but fair play to the lad for having the balls to give it a go.

I've always felt the championship structure does a disservice to promising players from much weaker counties that dont have the numbers to be competitive. Obviously this lad would love to play Liam McCarthy hurling with Meath but it won't happen any time soon. Even if Meath got a batch of players in the morning good enough to compete theres a glass ceiling in place to keep the status quo in place, Kerry should have been up years ago but got ****ed over a few times with leagie and championship promotion/relegation playoffs that are a joke. Theres plenty of good players who won't ever get a shot at playing Liam McCarthy without a transfer like this. Hurling needs as many competitive teams as possible, regional teams from Ulster, Connacht minus Galway and the weaker sides in Leinster would give these players a look in, boost interest outside traditional areas, give us more games to watch and earn the GAA a few more quid from dodgy replays. Where is the downside?

In theory it seems a good idea but there's almost always a lack of interest or commitment in the group teams. I suppose the passion can dwindle a little when not representing your own club or county. It mightn't be from all the players but it doesn't need to be, realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Not always, South Kerry won the senior football championship there, they're made up of 8 small clubs from the ring. The Ulster schools used to enter a provincial team and were pretty competitive when they banned combined teams as well.
    The big draw for these kind of teams in terms of player participation is how competitive they're likely to be. If there was a chance of a combined teams from the 4 weaker football sides in Munster entering the Sam McGuire I doubt you'd have much hassle getting a failry solid team onto the field.

Taking that aside though, in the football league every year its two up, two down. In hurling you have more fiddly playoffs and the like that the odds of getting relegated from 1b are pretty low. Kerry won all their 2A games a few years ago, won the final and then had to play a relegation/promotion game vs Offaly that they lost. How is that an incentive for those players to come back the year after and go again? They were robbed, and they deserve huge credit for sticking at it despite the glass ceiling put on it all!

This lad from Meath is in an even worse boat as Meath aren't exactly ripping it up and knocking on that glass ceiling, his only option to test himself is to transfer to a stronger county and best of luck to the lad for going for it. No guarantee he'll get a game or anything but at least he won't be thinking 'what if'.

If those kind of rules were in place in 1998 God knows how long it would have taken us to become competitive, our "golden generation" might never have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Ropaire wrote: »

Taking that aside though, in the football league every year its two up, two down. In hurling you have more fiddly playoffs and the like that the odds of getting relegated from 1b are pretty low. Kerry won all their 2A games a few years ago, won the final and then had to play a relegation/promotion game vs Offaly that they lost. How is that an incentive for those players to come back the year after and go again? They were robbed, and they deserve huge credit for sticking at it despite the glass ceiling put on it all!

To be fair you are not comparing like with like, Football and Hurling are light years apart and have absolutely zero in common apart from being under the control of the same organisation.

Yes it was a farce the way the rules were changed on Kerry, but I know a lot of people in Kerry hurling and they will all to a man tell you that it was a blessing in disguise, they would have been murdered and it would have put Kerry hurling back a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Too early yet. Are the Wit, UCC lads allowed to play?

Ye but UCC are playing Cork on Sat so don't know how many will play both. There are 7/8 lads with them. The Carlow IT lads will be playing Walsh Cup thats 3/4. There is 4/5 lads involved in the U-21 championship and then there is the usual injuries absentees etc so it'll be experimental enough

3ships wrote: »
    Ye but UCC are playing Cork on Sat so don't know how many will play both. There are 7/8 lads with them. The Carlow IT lads will be playing Walsh Cup thats 3/4. There is 4/5 lads involved in the U-21 championship and then there is the usual injuries absentees etc so it'll be experimental enough

Who's with UCC these days? Barron, de Burca, Curran, Shane Roche (is he on the panel this year?), Foran, Mark O'Brien (again are they with the seniors this year?), Colm Roche I think is in UCC but he wouldn't be eligible for FitzGibbon this year. Tom Devine (is he still injured?). There could be more I'm sure? Is Conor Gleeson in UCC?

Carlow lads - Colin Dunford, Ross Browne, Fagan. Who's the 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Michael harney with carlow. Gavin o brien with ucc also but pat curran i think has moved. I presume they are all training at the moment

DLS defeated Mt Sion tonight in Eastern U21 final. Shane McNulty played a stormer.
    Quick turn around now for DLS to face Dungarvan on Sunday. Hard thing to do, never mind against a team containing as many game changers as Dungarvan.
    Would have to fancy Dungarvan, even with talk of an injury to Cathal Curran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Beat kilkenny on the 14th Feb in the league and it will do us wonders. The main key of the league will be to avoid relagation and possibly get to a semi final. The big talk of 2016 will be Clare and this new magical set up they have.

We could end up losing all our Munster leagues games as there being used to play fridge players. The more experienced guys won't play.

Can't wait for the new season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Beat kilkenny on the 14th Feb in the league and it will do us wonders. The main key of the league will be to avoid relagation and possibly get to a semi final. The big talk of 2016 will be Clare and this new magical set up they have.

We could end up losing all our Munster leagues games as there being used to play fridge players. The more experienced guys won't play.

Jaysus I know cryotherapy can be beneficial but that's taking it a bit far :D

danganabu wrote: »
    Jaysus I know cryotherapy can be beneficial but that's taking it a bit far :D

Stupid predictive text

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody is particularly worried about the Munster league. With the limited access to college players for these matches, combined with the established players being unlikely to feature too heavily I can only see experimental Waterford sides taking the field in this. There might be a splash of experience in each team but if I was to guess I would say it will be largely players added to the panel this year with players who were on the extended panel or making the bench without seeing much action.
    If we could unearth one or two who could make the step up to the cut panel it will have been a worthwhile exercise.

If Patrick Curran has indeed changed colleges he will be ineligible for Freshers or FitzGibbon hurling. I don't know if this is the case but if it was it could benefit Waterford nicely as he would be playing less games and training with less teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

DiscoStew wrote: »
    DLS defeated Mt Sion tonight in Eastern U21 final. Shane McNulty played a stormer.
    Quick turn around now for DLS to face Dungarvan on Sunday. Hard thing to do, never mind against a team containing as many game changers as Dungarvan.
    Would have to fancy Dungarvan, even with talk of an injury to Cathal Curran.

Will the final be played now - on WLR that DLS won't play on Sunday, hard to blame them.

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Will the final be played now - on WLR that DLS won't play on Sunday, hard to blame them.

Ya it's a tough one for all. Dungarvan obviously don't want it dragging on any further and DLS should probably be given more of a break. How many players would DLS have on the u21 team that are also on the harty team? This was mentioned as one reason for looking for a postponement.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Any word on whether the u21 county final is going ahead Sunday? There was a meeting tonight to decide it I think.

Bit of a farce, no games for weeks if not months then DLS expected to play 2 massive games in 4 days. With DLS having played Thursday and the Harty quarter final on Wednesday I'd imagine the u21 will be pushed out a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Any word on whether the u21 county final is going ahead Sunday? There was a meeting tonight to decide it I think.

Bit of a farce, no games for weeks if not months then DLS expected to play 2 massive games in 4 days. With DLS having played Thursday and the Harty quarter final on Wednesday I'd imagine the u21 will be pushed out a week.

Dungarvan have 2 or 3 lads that were due to fly to America after New years, they delayed the flight for the final so I'd say they wanna get it played this Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

De La Salle will not play in County Final after win last night.

De La Salle won the Eastern Under 21 A hurling final by 0-18 to 1-14 against Mount Sion at Carriganore last night. Captain Shane McNulty struck six points for the winners.The teams were level on seven occasions before De La Salle surged four points clear in the final quarter with McNulty and freetaker Shane Ryan hitting top form.Andy Doherty netted a late goal for Mount Sion but they couldn't find an equaliser in injury time. De La Salle are due to play Dungarvan in the county final on Sunday but manager Brian Phelan maintains that the club won't be in a position to fulfil the fixture. FOR MORE ON THIS, TUNE INTO WLR FM SPORTS NEWS.

http://www.wlrfm.com/sport/local/57179-de-la-salle-will-not-play-in-county-final-after-win-last-night.html

Gavin O'Brien lining out at corner back today for UCC. Barron at midfield and Mark O'Brien on the bench. Maybe some of the others might be involved tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭runjb

Seems a strong enough team for tomorrow:

http://www.the42.ie/waterford-call-on-big-names-for-season-opener-2539585-Jan2016/

Waterford:

1. Ian O’Regan (Mount Sion)
    2. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)
    3. Shane Roche (Shamrocks)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Paudie Pender (Lismore)
    6. Darragh Fives (Tourin)
    7. Gavin O Brien (Roanmore)
    8. Colin Dunford (Colligan)
    9. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    10. Michael Harney (Bunmahon)
    11. Thomas Ryan (Tallow)
    12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)
    13. Brian O Halloran (Clashmore Kinsalebeg)
    14. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    15. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)

runjb wrote: »
    Seems a strong enough team for tomorrow:

http://www.the42.ie/waterford-call-on-big-names-for-season-opener-2539585-Jan2016/

Waterford:

1. Ian O’Regan (Mount Sion)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Paudie Pender (Lismore)
    6. Darragh Fives (Tourin)
    7. Gavin O Brien (Roanmore)
    10. Michael Harney (Bunmahon)
    11. Thomas Ryan (Tallow)
    12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)
    13. Brian O Halloran (Clashmore Kinsalebeg)
    14. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)

Hard to imagine Gavin O'Brien playing 2 games in 2 days. Could see a change or 2 to that team tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Donie Breathnach is gone playing for the footballers, delighted to see it. Great addition to the team. Interesting to see Conor Prunty playing also, full back last year on the minor hurling team, I would have thought he'd have chosen hurling before football.

The hurlers look strong for tomorrow, I'd love to see Brian O'Halloran and Darragh Fives get an injury free year, the two of them are due one

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Tomorrows game is postponed to later date - this was shared by the Waterford GAA facebook page.

Tomorrows game is postponed to later date - this was shared by the Waterford GAA facebook page.

Waterford game or The u21?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Waterford game or The u21?

Both games are off,

Waterford vs Limerick off until tues 19th January carriganore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers McGrath cup match off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Gavin O'Brien lining out at corner back today for UCC. Barron at midfield and Mark O'Brien on the bench. Maybe some of the others might be involved tomorrow.

I was at the match. All three of them started even though mark o brien was named on the bench. Him and GOB weren't really in the game but I thought Barron was excellent. Won a lot of dirty ball and passed it well. Thought he was one of UCCs best players and it's great to see him keep up last years form. I've been to a good few ucc matches where he's played up front and he was largely anonymous.. I think a position has finally been found for him to release his full potential.

Waterford/Cork football match this thursday in mallow.. Bit unfair to lose home advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

That time of the year again, anyone know of any confirmed transfers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Their usually on the local papers. Don't see any online link though for those of us away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Cork in the Mallow GAA Complex at 7:30pm this coming Wednesday has been named as follows:
    1. Ian O'Regan (Mount Sion)
    4. Kieran Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    5. Paudie Prendergast (Lismore)
    6. Shane McNulty (De La Salle)
    7. Gavin O'Brien (Roanmore)
    10. Míchéal Harney (Bunmahon)
    11. Shane O'Sullivan (Ballygunner)
    12. Tommy Waring (Erins Own)
    13. Tommy Ryan (Tallow)
    14. Colm Roche (Shamrocks)

Is Tommy Waring any good? I've never seen him play

Very experimental looking side. I guess that’s what these games are for. Not sure about Conor Gleeson as a corner back. Good to see Kieran Bennett get a chance I think he’s got huge potential. McNulty centreback I can’t see working either, and can’t believe Shane O’Sullivan is still knocking around. Don’t see how he has survived all the culling over the past few years when the likes of Richie Foley has been deemed surplus to requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Cork in the Mallow GAA Complex at 7:30pm this coming Wednesday has been named as follows:
    13. Tommy Ryan (Tallow)

twenty percent of the starting team live in the tiny parish of Kilwatermoy, must be a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Is Tommy Waring any good? I've never seen him play
    Saw him play a challenge v Tipp last March.Scored a point but otherwise didn't stand out. saying that, a challenge on a cold and windy sunday afternoon is not much to judge the lad on.

13. Tommy Ryan (Tallow)

Very experimental but not much benefit from playing experienced starters in these games. I think Gleeson has potential as a corner back. McNulty has a lot of potential I feel but I don't know if he will make it as an intercounty centre back, I'd have doubts. I do rate the lad though. If the U21 final is any time soon he may not even play. Would have to agree with others, don't really see what Shane Sul is bringing to the table at this stage. An attacking looking midfield to say the least, although the half forward line is slightly less attacking, both Sul and Harney have spent plenty time in defence previously. Mightn't be a team that yields a result depending on the strength of the cork team but certainly glad to see lads being given opportunities in this competition.

carter10 wrote: »
    Saw him play a challenge v Tipp last March.Scored a point but otherwise didn't stand out. saying that, a challenge on a cold and windy sunday afternoon is not much to judge the lad on.

He didn’t make the u21s last year in his final year in the grade but to be fair that shouldn’t mean he can’t improve and Id trust management to have a good sense of what lads deserve a go. A few guys are there that I wouldn’t have overly fancied and a few young lads that aren’t there that I was keeping an eye out for but guess that’s how it goes. Good to see so many lads being tried out and against a very mediocre looking Cork side should give ladsa good chance to show what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

It seems that all Stradbally players have withdrawn from the Waterford senior football panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

De La Salle have just beaten Nenagh in their Harty Cup match. :D

Any transfers of note confirmed in local papers?

culbaire wrote: »
    It seems that all Stradbally players have withdrawn from the Waterford senior football panel.

Any particular reason behind this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I would assume the farce that was the the County final being played the evening before the first round of the Munster Club. Only for the Cork final going to a replay, Waterford would have had no representative in the Munster club.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Only heard that it was so. Don't know the reasons.

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    I would assume the farce that was the the County final being played the evening before the first round of the Munster Club. Only for the Cork final going to a replay, Waterford would have had no representative in the Munster club.

Hardly the fault of the county football manager, who is really the one being punished here. If they are indeed trying to get back at the board for that ridiculous situation they were placed in it's a funny way of going about it, imo.
    Shane and Robert Ahearne would be involved I presume, who else would be leaving the panel if this was the case?

Team sheets for the match

Deise189 wrote: »
    Team sheets for the match

any chance we can get score updates even twitter has nothing on it

Hardly the fault of the county football manager, who is really the one being punished here. If they are indeed trying to get back at the board for that ridiculous situation they were placed in it's a funny way of going about it, imo.
    Shane and Robert Ahearne would be involved I presume, who else would be leaving the panel if this was the case?

Tony and David Grey, jack mullanney had been called up aswell but declined. Yea I do feel sorry for the management its not their fault. Most of the co board couldnt give a ****e antway its the bad press that will be the only thing to bother them

Cork0 -11 waterford 0-8 HT

cork 0-11- Wat 0-8 HT according to hogan stand.

http://www.hoganstand.com/livetracker/default.aspx?LiveTrackerID=282

any chance we can get score updates even twitter has nothing on it

Not sure if team sheets uploaded.. Stupid phone! 11-8 to cork at HT. Fairly scrappy so far but colm Roche and Kieran Bennett the standouts for me at the minute. Two or 3 goal chances created mikey Kearney missing the best with a poor shot. Waterford coming into it more and more as the half went on. To be expected for there first match of the year. Harney didn't start Craig guiry of FMW did. Strong bench includes Maurice Barron Connors and Shane fives hopefully they'll get a run in the second half I think there's goals to be got with ease if the finishing improves as they are making the chances.

Tomás McCarthy

Tomás McCarthy– ‏ @tomasmcc

Full Time Cork 2-18 Waterford 0-13 Pa Cronin 1-8 Cork outscored Waterford 2-7 to 0-2 in last 25 minutes

Did we try something that didn't work ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Did we try something that didn't work ??

Does it matter? It's only a Mickey Mouse challenge match. Half the decent lads are preparing with the colleges, the other half taking it easy before the league.

Kilkenny were beaten by DIT from what I hear, but it was an experimental U21 squad. These games don't matter, except for managers with something to prove.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement