Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Ropaire wrote: »
    17 wides hit, might be rustiness but unfortunately I'd imagine alot more than Gleeson played further out the field having seen that stat. Gleesons goal was from 30 yards like!
    The only thing we lacked last year was a goal threat, early days I know but it looks like we're still sitting very deep and shooting from distance so how are we going to improve from last year?

I was at the game and yes Limk are far fitter than they were at this stage last year and in general there seems to be a freshness about us.Waterford had an enormous amount of wides alright and seemed very sluggish at the start.Austin gleesons goal was out of this world prob won't see a better one but not a bit surprised as he's top class.I wouldn't be the best with the tactics etc but from what i saw waterford set up defensively but maybe not as much as previously i think they need to come up with something different as i can't see ye winning the all irl with a defensive system.Anyway very early yet wouldn't take much either way at this time of the yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Anyone know where i can see the latest Waterford Club Transfers online?

Been searching for this too. Nothing in last week or this weeks local papers. Normally in them the first edition after they're ratified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to face Kerry in Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney on Saturday 23rd January at 2pm is named as follows:
    1. Ian O'Regan (Mount Sion)
    2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
    3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
    4. Noel Connors (Passage)
    5. Shane McNulty (De La Salle)
    6. Darragh Fives (Tourin)
    7. Gavin O'Brien (Roanmore)
    8. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
    9. Colin Dunford (Colligan)
    10. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
    11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)
    12. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)
    13. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
    14. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore)
    15. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)
    Best of luck to all involved.

a nice piss up for the lads in kerry after lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

10-3 up at HT. No changes to the team named. Daragh fives, Brick curran and Dillon having a great game. Maurice getting frustrated things not going his way and picked up a yellow, Aussie not at the races either struggling to pick the ball up even. Defence on top and Kerry have only scored from frees. Plenty of encouraging performances though and the gap should widen comfortably in the second half bar wholesale changes to team and/or tactics.

Deise189 wrote: »
    10-3 up at HT. No changes to the team named. Daragh fives, Brick curran and Dillon having a great game. Maurice getting frustrated things not going his way and picked up a yellow, Aussie not at the races either struggling to pick the ball up even. Defence on top and Kerry have only scored from frees. Plenty of encouraging performances though and the gap should widen comfortably in the second half bar wholesale changes to team and/or tactics.

What tactics are we playing ???. Quite a low score from us considering we're playing Kerry with such a strong team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What tactics are we playing ???. Quite a low score from us considering we're playing Kerry with such a strong team

If you know such much about it, why don't you apply to become a manager?

STIG83 wrote: »
    If you know such much about it, why don't you apply to become a manager?
    Mite put my name in the hat next time lol. Warrickshire watch out the deise are coming lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Any match report from yesterday? Glad to see Darragh Fives going well, some addition to have him fully fit for the year

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Any match report from yesterday? Glad to see Darragh Fives going well, some addition to have him fully fit for the year

He certainly would be. That really opens up the prospect of moving Gleeson forward which they have been looking at in these games.
    Have Stephen O'Keeffe or Philip Mahony seen any action yet? I can't recall seeing them named but could be playing other challenge games possibly. Is Tadhg de Burca far away from a return to action? He had a knee injury I believe and is another who hasn't seen any action as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    He certainly would be. That really opens up the prospect of moving Gleeson forward which they have been looking at in these games.
    Have Stephen O'Keeffe or Philip Mahony seen any action yet? I can't recall seeing them named but could be playing other challenge games possibly. Is Tadhg de Burca far away from a return to action? He had a knee injury I believe and is another who hasn't seen any action as far as I can tell.
    De Burca is another week or 2 away from returning, I reckon he'll miss the KK game

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Senior hurling draw being made tomorrow. Any news on transfers or managerial appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Story with the obsession about transfers on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Not so much a match as a training session tbh. Waterford flew out of the gate and bar some unlucky wides and ridiculous defending by kerry which included all 15 inside there own 65 at one point we would have been more than 0-7 to 0-0 up. After getting that cushion waterford backed off and you could see the emphasis changing from scoring to passing, supporting the runner etc. I was near the dug out and the management didn't mind too much if an attack ended in a score or not once there was good build up play and support. Created two wonderfully well worked goal chances which was great to see but they Kerry keeper produced two world class saves. Waterford I don't think really came out of second gear and this is reflected in the fact that the only sub used was Shane o Sullivan as a blood sub for about two minutes. Regarding the low score PTH mentioned there was a lot of positional changes making it hard to keep up a flow. This included Barry coughlan in the half back/midfield area and numerous switching between full and half forward lines for the forwards.

Senior hurling draw being made tomorrow. Any news on transfers or managerial appointments.

First Group looks to be a nightmare welcome to senior for Portlaw; in with Ballygunner, Dungarvan, Passage, Ballyduff and DLS who are sure to be out to redeem themselves after last year.

Group Two is the weaker of the 2 in my opinion. Would imagine Tallow and Mount Sion should come through along with Fourmilewater (provided they aren't too focused on the football which can sometimes happen them). Could be any of the other 3 after that with Cappoquin probably the least likely of the 3 to emerge.

With regard to the transfers Mr. Burns I would imagine people are curious to see has any team strengthened considerably that could give them an advantage in the race to the News and Star Cup.

Like the new under 21 management team with minor winning manager Sean power leading it.

Surly Clare can't be as good as previous years at under 21 level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Like the new under 21 management team with minor winning manager Sean power leading it.

Surly Clare can't be as good as previous years at under 21 level.

Limerick would be the team to beat,this would be the famous hawk eye incident team.

Limerick would be the team to beat,this would be the famous hawk eye incident team.

Hawk eye won us an all Ireland minor in 2013 lol. We had a very good team though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Hawk eye won us an all Ireland minor in 2013 lol. We had a very good team though

To say that Hawkeye incident won us that minor All Ireland is rubbish. Galway beat Limerick by 2 points in the end and Limerick had 80 mins including ET to win the game and couldnt do it. There was every chance we could have beaten Limerick in the AI final anyway shur we hurled the off the field in the drawn Munster final but out of our own stupidity let them back into it. My opinion is that no team would have lived with us in that AI minor final such was the performance our lads gave. Bit of respect where its due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

First Group looks to be a nightmare welcome to senior for Portlaw; in with Ballygunner, Dungarvan, Passage, Ballyduff and DLS who are sure to be out to redeem themselves after last year.

Group Two is the weaker of the 2 in my opinion. Would imagine Tallow and Mount Sion should come through along with Fourmilewater (provided they aren't too focused on the football which can sometimes happen them). Could be any of the other 3 after that with Cappoquin probably the least likely of the 3 to emerge.

With regard to the transfers Mr. Burns I would imagine people are curious to see has any team strengthened considerably that could give them an advantage in the race to the News and Star Cup.

Yeah but its the same old yarn really. I don't see the fixation in any other County and there are rarely notable transfers. The same way theres been a hold load of talk about a lad from Meath as if he was going to waltz down and be a fixture on a Waterford Senior hurling team just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Group 1 certainly is a nightmare. Wonder which one of the so called big 4 will lose out to Ballyduff!!!!!

• Advertisement

Lismore and Ballysaggart paired together in the intermediate hurling. Christ there'll be some flaking in that

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Lismore will be too good for them...

Waternut wrote: »
    Lismore will be too good for them...

You would imagine so but local derbies like this can take on a life of their own.
    The spine of the Lismore team should be very strong at intermediate. Seanie Barry, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast, John Prendergast, Maurice, David Prendergast, Jack Prendergast. That's a fair amount of talent in a team. Where I think Lismore really fall down, outside of the infighting and what can sometimes seem like a lack of team spirit, is the players around these ones. They are average at best for the most part. Such a spine to the team should see them in the mix for honours I would think but then it comes down to whether they have the unity, if they don't cracks will appear quick and there are some good teams in their group who will certainly test their mettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

You would imagine so but local derbies like this can take on a life of their own.
    The spine of the Lismore team should be very strong at intermediate. Seanie Barry, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast, John Prendergast, Maurice, David Prendergast, Jack Prendergast. That's a fair amount of talent in a team. Where I think Lismore really fall down, outside of the infighting and what can sometimes seem like a lack of team spirit, is the players around these ones. They are average at best for the most part. Such a spine to the team should see them in the mix for honours I would think but then it comes down to whether they have the unity, if they don't cracks will appear quick and there are some good teams in their group who will certainly test their mettle.

You're forgetting Big Dan aswell! Speaking of which I have noted that both of the Barrys were not called up this year for any trial games with the county along with DJ Foran. Obviously the Lismore selector has no say to get these lads a chance? Funny how they are selected for their respective colleges for the Fitzgibbon cup but didn't warrant a call to the senior set up? Surely the 3 deserved that at least as in my opinion they're at least in the top 70 hurlers in the county are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I presume the panel will be announced soon. 32 plus Pauric Mahony and Stephen Bennett when they come back.
    I'd be a fan of Ray Barry but dosen't look like he is favoured don't know why as he has actually made an impact before and still very young. Seanie Barry I presume wouldn't want to be 3rd choice keeper and DJ Foran would have been caught with club and collage recently and I'd say he'd make the cut.

Other players I haven't seen yet are Ryan Donnelly and this Jack Fagen lad who has been listed as Meath in the fitzgibbon reports last week.

New to the panel will be Keiran Bennett and Tomas Ryan with Conor Gleeson and Michael Harney moving up the pecking order I'd say.

Shane McNulty, Paudie Prendergast and Gavin O Brien should all benefit from Daniels and MON leaving the panel

Possible Panel
    SOK
    S Fives
    B Cough
    N Connors
    D Fives
    T de B
    Ph Mahony
    J Barron
    K Moran
    M Walsh
    C Dunford
    A Gleeson
    J Dillon
    M Shan
    Sh Bennett
    Pat curran
    Stephen Bennett
    Pauric Mahony
    Iggy
    C Gleeson
    K Bennett
    S Roche
    GOB
    S McNulty
    P Prender
    E Barrett
    SOS
    T Devine
    T Ryan
    DJ Foran
    BOH
    M Kearney
    R Donnelly
    MOB
    T Waring

Dev squad lads available the like of Jordan Henley, Peter Hogan, Molumby, Colm Roche

cul beag wrote: »
    You're forgetting Big Dan aswell! Speaking of which I have noted that both of the Barrys were not called up this year for any trial games with the county along with DJ Foran. Obviously the Lismore selector has no say to get these lads a chance? Funny how they are selected for their respective colleges for the Fitzgibbon cup but didn't warrant a call to the senior set up? Surely the 3 deserved that at least as in my opinion they're at least in the top 70 hurlers in the county are they not?

Heard Foran opted out of the panel this year, would imagine he would certainly have been given a run in challenge games otherwise. Ray Barry's attitude is what leaves him down most as there is no doubting he's ability.
    Seanie while young has gone back a bit in recent years I feel.

Didn't think Dan made much of an impact in the games I saw him in last year. He's obviously slowed down given his age and was never really blessed with blistering pace. Maybe he can find a bit of form again this year.

3ships wrote: »
    I presume the panel will be announced soon. 32 plus Pauric Mahony and Stephen Bennett when they come back.
    I'd be a fan of Ray Barry but dosen't look like he is favoured don't know why as he has actually made an impact before and still very young. Seanie Barry I presume wouldn't want to be 3rd choice keeper and DJ Foran would have been caught with club and collage recently and I'd say he'd make the cut.

Other players I haven't seen yet are Ryan Donnelly and this Jack Fagen lad who has been listed as Meath in the fitzgibbon reports last week.

New to the panel will be Keiran Bennett and Tomas Ryan with Conor Gleeson and Michael Harney moving up the pecking order I'd say.

Shane McNulty, Paudie Prendergast and Gavin O Brien should all benefit from Daniels and MON leaving the panel

Possible Panel
    SOK
    S Fives
    B Cough
    N Connors
    D Fives
    T de B
    Ph Mahony
    J Barron
    K Moran
    M Walsh
    C Dunford
    A Gleeson
    J Dillon
    M Shan
    Sh Bennett
    Pat curran
    Stephen Bennett
    Pauric Mahony
    Iggy
    C Gleeson
    K Bennett
    S Roche
    GOB
    S McNulty
    P Prender
    E Barrett
    SOS
    T Devine
    T Ryan
    DJ Foran
    BOH
    M Kearney
    R Donnelly
    MOB
    T Waring

Dev squad lads available the like of Jordan Henley, Peter Hogan, Molumby, Colm Roche

Strong looking squad

Number 1 objective is a top 4 finish and to reach a league semi final. Dublin and Galway (who we have a hoodoo over the last few years) are winnable games, it wud be fantastic to beat Kilkenny in the first game, cork and tipp away will be tough. It's still hard to believe we are going in as defending champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

De La Salle playing Our Lady's Templemore in the Harty Cup semi final this afternoon. De La Salle behind by 3 points at half time, they'll have the breeze with them for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Derek McGrath was on WLR earlier. 33 man panel was sent to the county board last Monday although it's open to change. Colm Roche and Andy Molumby were named as two new faces.

De La Salle 7 points behind now.

• Advertisement

A draw at fulltime, may be extra time.

De La Salle lost by 2 points at the end of extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wasn't McGrath told to curtail is panel? Not sure if I would want to be in the development squad. Would you not be better off playing with your club or playing with the 21s

Surprised Foran opted out. Hes a lad I would have been looking out for to make an impact this year

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Hard luck to DLS, great effort and hopfully they can push on next year. I believe a good few of them will be around next year too.Regarding Foran, I don't feel like he has really pushed through from minor. He is still young. It's a pitty if Barry isn't on the panel, he certainly has the hurling to make it. Happy to see Roche and Molumby given a chance, a bit surprised Hogan from BG isn't there. Had a good finish to the senior championship and has bundles of natural hurling, probably one of the most natural hurlers in the county.

Peter Hogan won Young Player of the Year at Ballygunner's dinner dance tonight.

deisemum wrote: »
    Peter Hogan won Young Player of the Year at Ballygunner's dinner dance tonight.

Hardly surprising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Half time Wicklow 0-4 Waterford 1-4

KevIRL wrote: »
    Half time Wicklow 0-4 Waterford 1-4

FT Wicklow 0-13 Waterford 1-8

Didn't do enough with the wind in the first half

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    FT Wicklow 0-13 Waterford 1-8

Didn't do enough with the wind in the first half

Needed to win that to have any chance of a promotion push. Louth and Wexford will both be favourites to go up. Realistically need to be winning at least 4 other games to be on with a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So, just over a week away until the league opener v KK. Hard to believe how quick this has come around, seems like only a few weeks ago they knocked us out of the AI semi final.

What team will start? Who is/isn't available (for both sides)? Other than Tadgh de Burca, I'm unsure of who is/isn't available so I'm going to guess a team something like:

SOK

S Fives B Coughlan N Connors

D Fives Ph Mahony S McNulty

J Barron K Moran

A Gleeson Brick J Dillon

C Dunford M Shan Bennett (x2)/Paddy Curran

That's probably our strongest side so there would likely be a few new lads given a start or at least see some action (K Bennett, Conor Gleeson etc.)

What kind of way will we set up? It'll be interesting to see if we will set up much differently from last year and try be a bit more attack minded. The reality is we will probably find it difficult to rack up much of a score regardless of how many we play in the forwards as KK's physicality is always going to be something our younger forwards will likely struggle with.
    It will take a usual haul from Shan, pace and running at the KK defence from Dunford/Barron/Moran and a bit of class/skill from Aussie, Bennett and Paddy Curran to put up a score good enough to win.

It would be great to get the win as it would set us up nicely for the coming games and take a bit of pressure off needing to get results from the Dublin, Cork and Galway games (the most likeliest places we'd be looking to win) and try make the knock out stage.

Our record v KK in league and championship the last few years is awful so we're surely due a win against them at some stage, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Probably the best time you could be playing KK. They've been off on their team holiday and fielded their U21s in the Walsh Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

That's if there is any good time to play them

Cake Man wrote: »
    So, just over a week away until the league opener v KK. Hard to believe how quick this has come around, seems like only a few weeks ago they knocked us out of the AI semi final.

What team will start? Who is/isn't available (for both sides)? Other than Tadgh de Burca, I'm unsure of who is/isn't available so I'm going to guess a team something like:

SOK

S Fives B Coughlan N Connors

D Fives Ph Mahony S McNulty

J Barron K Moran

A Gleeson Brick J Dillon

C Dunford M Shan Bennett (x2)/Paddy Curran

That's probably our strongest side so there would likely be a few new lads given a start or at least see some action (K Bennett, Conor Gleeson etc.)

What kind of way will we set up? It'll be interesting to see if we will set up much differently from last year and try be a bit more attack minded. The reality is we will probably find it difficult to rack up much of a score regardless of how many we play in the forwards as KK's physicality is always going to be something our younger forwards will likely struggle with.
    It will take a usual haul from Shan, pace and running at the KK defence from Dunford/Barron/Moran and a bit of class/skill from Aussie, Bennett and Paddy Curran to put up a score good enough to win.

It would be great to get the win as it would set us up nicely for the coming games and take a bit of pressure off needing to get results from the Dublin, Cork and Galway games (the most likeliest places we'd be looking to win) and try make the knock out stage.

Our record v KK in league and championship the last few years is awful so we're surely due a win against them at some stage, here's hoping!

SOK and Philip Mahony have featured that I've seen so I would be surprised to see them start. Think Iggy will probably be given a game in the goal. Darragh Fives probably centre back. Patrick Curran will surely start, Shane Bennett possibly playing further out the field. Not sure who to drop though. Derek rates Jake Dillon's work rate very highly so he's unlikely to be the one. Will be interesting to see Aussie in forwards, even against a KK outfit that may not have too much preparation done recently.
    Conceivable that we will start with none of our half back line that played for so much of last year and were a huge launch pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Going on the last few games this is my guess on the starting 15 versus Kilkenny

1. SOK
    2. S Fives
    3. B Coughlan
    4. N Connors
    5. S McNulty
    6. D Fives
    7. D Prendergast
    8. K Moran
    9. J Barron
    10. S Bennett
    11. J Dillon
    12. A Gleeson
    13. P Curran
    14. M Shanahan
    15. C Dunford

Haven't seen much of Philip Mahony so far but if he's good to go he'll drop in his usual position instead of one of the wing backs. Brick could also start in the half forward line. I would think (and hope) that we will not play a sweeper during the league and see where that takes us. At least then we'll have a better idea going into championship if we need to persist with a sweeper or not for the rest of 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

When is the challenge game against Limerick that was meant to be agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Going on the last few games this is my guess on the starting 15 versus Kilkenny

1. SOK
    2. S Fives
    3. B Coughlan
    4. N Connors
    5. S McNulty
    6. D Fives
    7. D Prendergast
    8. K Moran
    9. J Barron
    10. S Bennett
    11. J Dillon
    12. A Gleeson
    13. P Curran
    14. M Shanahan
    15. C Dunford

It will be interesting to see if SOK or Iggy will start.

Who is D Prendergast?

Word is that Paudie Prendergast has dropped himself off the panel.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if SOK or Iggy will start. If SOK has fallen out of favour with Derek at the moment we're a bit thin on the ground for goalkeepers.

Who is D Prendergast?

Word is that Paudie Prendergast has dropped himself off the panel.
    Why would he have fallen out with Derek? I thought all the Ballygunner lads were given extra time off cause they went far in the Munster club Championship. By D Prendergast he meant Paudie.

Half time Waterbird 0-4 Louth 1-7

Full time. Waterford 1-9 Louth 1-10. Louth with the last minute winner but they played the second half with 14 men and against a stiff wind

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement