Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Would have been a travesty if that had been a draw, totally dominated for 50 minutes, should have never allowed ourselves to be hanging on at that stage, had enough chances and ball to be 10-11 points clear at 50 minutes. Still a good win and 4 points on the board, will surely avoid relegation plus two home games to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

KevIRL wrote: »
    Good win, players unsurprisingly tired toward the last 15 mins. Lot of v smart options been taken in the first 50 mins was great to see. Crazy scrappy toward the end, don't like seeing players making a meal of tackles but its been done against our lads many times.

4 points. 2 home games still to come and a break as well.

Dont justify it, its not good enough from anyones players, talk like that and we're all down the soccer route

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Patrick Curran is a great addition to the forwards this year. Nearly through it away in last 15 mins. Why did Maurice get sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

9 different scorers tonight. Really good to see the spread of scorers again

Dont justify it, its not good enough from anyones players, talk like that and we're all down the soccer route

To be fair, you are correct. No place for it in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Cork should have been down to thirteen at the finish but Owens bottled it.

Nash came out on Brick and as the third man in that is a straight red.

The fact that he was already on a yellow meant that he should have least have picked up another one along with Brick.

So for Cork to be complaining is a bit rich.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Cork should have been down to thirteen at the finish but Owens bottled it.

Nash came out on Brick and as the third man in that is a straight red.

The fact that he was already on a yellow meant that he should have least have picked up another one along with Brick.

So for Cork to be complaining is a bit rich.

Exactly, if i was Cork i'd be worried about being dominated for 50 minutes of the game, the end result does not tell the story at all, We should have won that game by 9-10 points. Cork will get relegated IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Maurice's sending off was an absolute joke. Hopefully sense will prevail and its rescinded but then after what happened Brick and Sullivan two years ago who knows what this farce of an appeal system will decide.

Players tired towards the end, playing in the bog last week didn't help. Cork also made a few changes from last week and earlier subs so natural that they finished stronger. We need to make a few changes for two weeks time because while we have two to come back who knows wholl get injured later in the year. And you need 18-19 hardened lads for any championship game in my opinion. Don't think we had enough from the bench last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

Big win for them tonight though.

im kinda glad in a way they were bound to have one big game

is there a statsman who can answer have dublin ever beaten us in welsh park?

2 years ago in the relegation playoff

• Advertisement

Yep. Relegation match there a couple of years back anyway. We were never really inthe game that day.

Dublin losing tonight would have been better tbf, them and cork being cut adrift would suit us perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Very pleased with that.
    Great defence again. Gleeson is a genius.

Much better from Curran. Delighted with him. Another good shift from Dillion.
    Weak ref allowed it get messy at the end. But great to be coming out the right side of situations like this.

I think we have us a hurling team.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree on something...the one thing better than beating cork twice in a year is beating them thrice in a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

cul beag wrote: »
    That's the best you can come up with? How about a constructive discussion instead of bar stool dribble. I pity the locals that had to listen to you..........A couple of paracetamol, sleep it off and you should be fine.

I'll leave last word to the late, great Sid Wadell ... cue Geordie accent ..... "when Alexander of Cantelon was 33 years old, he cried salt tears because he had no other worlds to conquer". For Alexander the Great, read Austin Gleeson (21 in June).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Very pleased with that.
    Great defence again. Gleeson is a genius.

Much better from Curran. Delighted with him. Another good shift from Dillion.
    Weak ref allowed it get messy at the end. But great to be coming out the right side of situations like this.

I think we have us a hurling team.

Just as a neutral looking in, I thought he was arguably motm. Really gets heavily involved in the play and is excellent and winning 'dirty' ball. I think he plays a good role in yer team when ye look to break out in attack, he can turn, drive forward and bring players into the game.

letowski wrote: »
    Just as a neutral looking in, I thought he was arguably motm. Really gets heavily involved in the play and is excellent and winning 'dirty' ball. I think he plays a good role in yer team when ye look to break out in attack, he can turn, drive forward and bring players into the game.

Sure youre not confusing him with Jamie Barron?

2 years ago in the relegation playoff

balls, like a man in orthapaedic shoes i stand corrected , forgot that one was just as tony was retiring, i heard from him on the legends tour of croke park he was waiting for the win to retire to show that waterford was in safe hands, how could i forget that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Sure youre not confusing him with Jamie Barron?

To be honest ye have a few players like Barron, Dillon, Moran, Gleeson, Bennett that are very good at carrying the ball forward from deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Maurice's sending off was an absolute joke. Hopefully sense will prevail and its rescinded but then after what happened Brick and Sullivan two years ago who knows what this farce of an appeal system will decide.

Players tired towards the end, playing in the bog last week didn't help. Cork also made a few changes from last week and earlier subs so natural that they finished stronger. We need to make a few changes for two weeks time because while we have two to come back who knows wholl get injured later in the year. And you need 18-19 hardened lads for any championship game in my opinion. Don't think we had enough from the bench last year.

FFS he struck a player off de ball. Gleeson should also have seen red for his assault on Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Barry Coughlan deserves an Oscar. Sad to see hurling going down the soccer route.

FFS he struck a player off de ball.
    What Cork players would you have sent off?

culbaire wrote: »
    Barry Coughlan deserves an Oscar. Sad to see hurling going down the soccer route.

It sure is, yer boy (cork im assuming) took one in the football against kerry last year too, if you see that one the same way then fair play to ye

It sure is, yer boy (cork im assuming) took one in the football against kerry last year too, if you see that one the same way then fair play to ye

Culbaire is from Waterford. You're in danger here of looking just like someone who wants to have a go off everyone.

I have no time for gamesmanship from any player from any country.

Culbaire is from Waterford. You're in danger here of looking just like someone who wants to have a go off everyone.

No, i thought he was from cork

The only thing im having a go at is diving

• Advertisement

Cooper and gleeson incidents were similar, crap challenges from 2 fellas who arent shrinking violets, either could have gone.

Nash was just retarded but he didnt really do much only make a fool of himself hardly sending off stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Waterford are going to be a serious force this year.Some the most skilful players in the country. Hate the fact that they pack their defence even though I would use the same tactic if it meant my team would win. I think they are good enough to beat anyone using conventional formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Cooper deserved to see red. Waterford were 10 points better tonight. Gleeson is gem of a hurler but no place on the pitch for his strike on Walsh.

To be fair, you are correct. No place for it in the game.
    No, i thought he was from cork

Hahahahahahahaha.
    Sure anyone would make that mistake.

Hahahahahahahaha.
    Sure anyone would make that mistake.

Im missing an internal deise joke here i take it, good night to ye all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Deisegal27

Great display by the lads tonight, thought Jamie Barron deserved MOTM however;extraordinary work rate and die hard attitude was a source of inspiration for the rest of the boys. Would love to see new lads getting a run such as Conor gleeson and Colm Roche and give Shane Bennett a match off to see others play his role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Damn nearly left cork off the hook tonight....fell asleep and while the better team...
    there was no way cork should've been in the mix for a draw at the end

Should serve as a good wake up call about any complacency setting in and believing thier own (somewhat justified) hype

I do worry are they struggling to put away teams...as last weekend aswel they should've Beat kk by more....if they could crack the goal scoring nack abit...they are creating chances like

Damn nearly left cork off the hook tonight....fell asleep and while the better team...
    there was no way cork should've been in the mix for a draw at the end

Should serve as a good wake up call about any complacency setting in and believing thier own (somewhat justified) hype

I do worry are they struggling to put away teams...as last weekend aswel they should've Beat kk by more....if they could crack the goal scoring nack abit...they are creating chances like

They were tired that was it. When have we ever beaten Kilkenny and Cork away in consecutive league games? Wouldn't get carried away with league wins but as a whole its fantastic to see them in good form after last year with all this talk about 'second season syndrome'.

Which for the record I think is a nonsense. And if I'd to have to listen to the media reel it out anymore than they do already. Similar to that waterford are the donegal of hurling ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

They were tired that was it. When have we ever beaten Kilkenny and Cork away in consecutive league games? Wouldn't get carried away with league wins but as a whole its fantastic to see them in good form after last year with all this talk about 'second season syndrome'.

Which for the record I think is a nonsense. And if I'd to have to listen to the media reel it out anymore than they do already. Similar to that waterford are the donegal of hurling ****e.

I don't buy the media nonsense of Donegal of hurling...sweeper is more common than not in hurling now...esp among stronger counties

Waterford actually pay a more expansive taught out version of it than most/anyone

I taught they were inclined not to put in the extra effort (phrased worse than meant)...tired as they might be...cork were there for a right trimming tonight and if boot was on the other foot they'd have not let up
    Even the hooking/tackling wasn't as good as v kk....they've a fortnight break to get it right/rest....and give tipp a right rattle and if secure in division 1 then try new players in last two games

Though on a side note...you'd slightly fear for cork playing tipp/kk....as they appeared to lacking in self confidence for large parts...hope they get it right...some good people in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Cooper deserved to see red. Waterford were 10 points better tonight. Gleeson is gem of a hurler but no place on the pitch for his strike on Walsh.

He didn't it was a mistimed pull that's all.

Cooper and gleeson incidents were similar, crap challenges from 2 fellas who arent shrinking violets, either could have gone.

Nash was just retarded but he didnt really do much only make a fool of himself hardly sending off stuff

nash pulled a player to the ground by the neck unprovoked in full view of the ref, if cork werent a decent bit behind he was gone ,disgraceful behaviour

I was impressed with out ability to win the ball, in the air both at the back and going forward the lads were fantastic, for the first 50 minutes it seemed like we were the ones always coming out with the ball from rucks. No doubt with the talent and structures within the team we can be a match for anyone come Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

They were tired that was it. When have we ever beaten Kilkenny and Cork away in consecutive league games? Wouldn't get carried away with league wins but as a whole its fantastic to see them in good form after last year with all this talk about 'second season syndrome'

Do the wins in the 2007 semi-final and final count? If not, we beat them back-to-back in the regular season in 2000. We've never beaten them back-to-back away from home in the same season, but that ain't surprising seeing as we've only played them away from home in the same season on five occasions.

What is surprising is our good record in the League against Cork. Last night was our 22nd win in 62 attempts - strictly speaking it's 23 in 63 but one of those 'wins' was a walkover during the strike. To put that into context, we haven't managed to win even a quarter of our games against Tipperary (10 out of 43) or Kilkenny (12 out of 53).

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Good win and again it should have been by more. This might not be a bad thing as we said the same about the Kilkenny game and if we had won both by 10 points or more the county would be gone in to overdrive about winning the all Ireland. It gives McGrath a chance to keep their feet on the ground and gives him the opportunity to get a few things sorted. For me Barron was MOM his workrate was phenomenal. He was the go to man for the out ball time and time again and add to that his contribution of 3 points it was a successful night for the Fourmilewater man.
    As I posted previously this Cork team are poor in fact I'm struggling to remember a Cork side as poor for a long time but that's not our problem as we can only play and beat what's in front of us. As for the two sending offs well non can have any complaints, Maurice got caught giving a sly pull and cadogan walked for the intent of striking. Coughlan can be proud of his acting performance in aiding and abetting the crime! The big test for us will be in Thurles in 2 weeks time one that we will definitely not fear but one that will tell us where exactly we are at with this present competition.
    All in all we are progressing nicely,alot more positives than negatives, and it does bear well for the rest of the season with the start we have made. One question, what players lose out when De Burca and Mahony come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

cul beag wrote: »
    Good win and again it should have been by more. This might not be a bad thing as we said the same about the Kilkenny game and if we had won both by 10 points or more the county would be gone in to overdrive about winning the all Ireland. It gives McGrath a chance to keep their feet on the ground and gives him the opportunity to get a few things sorted. For me Barron was MOM his workrate was phenomenal. He was the go to man for the out ball time and time again and add to that his contribution of 3 points it was a successful night for the Fourmilewater man.
    As I posted previously this Cork team are poor in fact I'm struggling to remember a Cork side as poor for a long time but that's not our problem as we can only play and beat what's in front of us. As for the two sending offs well non can have any complaints, Maurice got caught giving a sly pull and cadogan walked for the intent of striking. Coughlan can be proud of his acting performance in aiding and abetting the crime! The big test for us will be in Thurles in 2 weeks time one that we will definitely not fear but one that will tell us where exactly we are at with this present competition.
    All in all we are progressing nicely,alot more positives than negatives, and it does bear well for the rest of the season with the start we have made. One question, what players lose out when De Burca and Mahony come back?

What players lose out?

If you picked 6 forwards on just skill alone it would probably something like

10. Shane Bennett
    11. Pauric Mahony
    12. Austin Gleeson
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Maurice Shanahan
    15. Colin Dunfort

But i can't see Brick and Dillon both losing out here. The manager backs both players and in fairness both haven't let him down. Brick is very experienced and brings the other players into play with clever passes and timing. Dillon is the hard working forward and is not lacking in skill, played very well today with clever passes and score. This is a tough decision for McGrath and will even be tougher if Curran and Bennett keep improving as the are. Through into the mix Stephan Bennett, Brian O Halloran, Tom Devine or someone else could put there hand up as there are a few more dark horses on the panel.
    The decision may just come down to who's showing up best in training and previous matches. Or you could go down the route that either are not going to walk back onto the starting 15. They'll have to play there way back on.
    When kilkenny were at there best they had players on the bench that were as good as what was on the field.

I have to agree also on Barron as MOM as time and time again he would come out of a ruck with the ball in hand and either win a free or laid it off. In fairness to Gleeson, who was much more economical today and still got a brilliant score, felt Barron was being overlooked for MOM in the last 2 games. It's a really good sign when its difficult to pick the standout performer.

• Advertisement

nash pulled a player to the ground by the neck unprovoked in full view of the ref, if cork werent a decent bit behind he was gone ,disgraceful behaviour

You quoted my post so presumably you saw the bit where I said he made a fool of himself

You quoted my post so presumably you saw the bit where I said he made a fool of himself

and you were alleging it wasnt a red card offense, i am alleging it was given the dangerous blatant unprovoked tackle by the neck and it was off the ball

and you were alleging it wasnt a red card offense, i am alleging it was given the dangerous blatant unprovoked tackle by the neck and it was off the ball

It wasnt dangerous, keep using language like that and see where hurling is in 5 years, madonnas diving all over the place and douchebag supporters saying x and y should be sent off for nothing because Z got sent off for nothing last year. If you cant see that then forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

It wasnt dangerous, keep using language like that and see where hurling is in 5 years, madonnas diving all over the place and douchebag supporters saying x and y should be sent off for nothing because Z got sent off for nothing last year. If you cant see that then forget about it.

Paddy, don't preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

What players lose out?

If you picked 6 forwards on just skill alone it would probably something like

10. Shane Bennett
    11. Pauric Mahony
    12. Austin Gleeson
    13. Patrick Curran
    14. Maurice Shanahan
    15. Colin Dunfort

But i can't see Brick and Dillon both losing out here. The manager backs both players and in fairness both haven't let him down. Brick is very experienced and brings the other players into play with clever passes and timing. Dillon is the hard working forward and is not lacking in skill, played very well today with clever passes and score. This is a tough decision for McGrath and will even be tougher if Curran and Bennett keep improving as the are. Through into the mix Stephan Bennett, Brian O Halloran, Tom Devine or someone else could put there hand up as there are a few more dark horses on the panel.
    The decision may just come down to who's showing up best in training and previous matches. Or you could go down the route that either are not going to walk back onto the starting 15. They'll have to play there way back on.
    When kilkenny were at there best they had players on the bench that were as good as what was on the field.

I have to agree also on Barron as MOM as time and time again he would come out of a ruck with the ball in hand and either win a free or laid it off. In fairness to Gleeson, who was much more economical today and still got a brilliant score, felt Barron was being overlooked for MOM in the last 2 games. It's a really good sign when its difficult to pick the standout performer.

He has some predicament but a predicament other managers would give their right hand for. Dillon definitely won't lose out as he's a firm favourite of McGrath 's so I would still think it will be Curran that makes way up front. As for who will lose out when De Burca comes back its looking like he's going to have to play his way back on to it as the 6 backs so far have been very solid so it is one to watch. How far away is Mahony does anyone know? He will need time to get back to match fitness so wouldn't it be great to see him towards the knockout stages of the league and primed for the Clare game. Shanahan hasn't been consistent on the frees so far so we'll need Mahony back on them as the year progresses.
    I agree with you about Gleeson last night it was great to see him being more economical in possession and did score some wonderful points for us. A truly gifted player and add Shane Bennett to that we have some talent at our disposal. What we will have come championship with everyone injury free is a serious squad of about 20-21 players that when any are introduced will not weaken the team but we need this if we are to win the big one in September.

deiseach wrote: »
    Paddy, don't preach.

Very good,but sorry think im only getting started on this one, cant wait for tyrone to start throwing themselves to the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

there is no way De Burca (2015 YPOTY) is going to left sit on the bench all year but as someone else said he will have to play his way into the team and it will take him a few games to get match fit again same as Pauric Mahony (he will have to play a few club league games).

we need to finish in the top 2 in 1A to stand a chance of a league semi final as Limerick and Clare will be the top 2 in 1B i think (Wexford and Offaly/Kerry will be 3/4th). Clare in Ennis in the QF will be very tough but cant see us or clare going full out as the championship looms.

And who can we thank for starting it all.
    Yes, take a bow Setanta O'Halpin and Co. It has been rampant in Cork ever since. Countless players sent off due to theatrics.
    But I fully agree there is no place for it the game of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I love the way Cronin looks up after hitting the deck to see if MacSuibhne was looking and then proceeds to roll around in agony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice to be the only undefeated team in the division so far but it's very early days yet. We need to win 1 more game to be 100% sure of avoiding the relagation playoff but we should beat either Dublin or galway in Walsh park. Tipp in thurles will be a good test. With some of the players out of the fitzgibbon a rest next weekend is very welcome for us.

From my calculations If cork lose one more game than there deff in the relagation playoff. If we lose to dublin and tipp we may go into a do or die game with Galway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement