Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Good to remember Ken and appreciate what an absolute legend of a player he was. We see too many guys retire and sort of disappear but Ken deserves to be remembered as one of our greatest ever. Out of all the 'golden generation' of hurlers that came and went over the past 20 years Ken was head and shoulders above the rest for me. Literally had it all as a player. And the ultimate team player to boot. A guy who left nothing out on the field. A gentleman off the field, and got on within his business on it. Not afraid to mix it up too as anyone who played against him will tell.
    I always remember when he came to our primary school around 97 when he would have been around 18 or 19 he was promoting feile na nagel which was on in Waterford that year, they say to never meet your heroes but he was everything you wanted your hero to be. Really classy fellah with great way with us as kids, having the banter and had a puck around the schoolyard.
    He mentioned 08' in the documentary that was the beginning of the end unfortunately for Ken. Davy playing him fullback he was never the same after that even after he was moved back centre back later in the summer he confidence was shot. Injuries hampered him in 09' and by the time he was fit again in 2010 it was obvious Davy wanted rid of him it was a sad way to finish up but he had a brilliant career and was a fantastic ambassador for his county.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Ken McGrath, Waterford's greatest son.
    I was almost crying, my greatest sporting hero along with many others I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brillent documentary on Ken one of the greats of Waterford hurling. He's lucky to be alive really if his hemorage was never discovered then we wud be remembering him in a much sadder tone.

Hopefully Tony gets a loachra gael next season (he was a massive servant of Waterford hurling). Surprised they never released a DVD boxset of each series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

PTH2009 wrote: »
    . Surprised they never released a DVD boxset of each series

Or box sets by county!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I knew watching Kens last league game in Walsh Park he was going to call it a day, thought it was lousy of Davy to put him out midfield when he hadn't the legs anymore after injuries. He deserved more than that after the service he gave the counry and the game, and would have still done a serious job somewhere like full forward at the time like.

Dan put it well when he said if every lad gave what Ken did what would we have won. Absolute warrior!

I wonder if Justin mac had of moved on after the 2005 season would we have won that all Ireland ??. We would of got a big name manager in 2006 (o Grady, English, loughnane etc).

I wonder if Justin mac had of moved on after the 2005 season would we have won that all Ireland ??. We would of got a big name manager in 2006 (o Grady, English, loughnane etc).

Easy to be wise afterwards. There actually wasn't too many alternatives out there at the time, be surprised think any of those names would have touched it to be honest. A bit unfair to say that Justin was a reason we didn't win an All Ireland. But he should definitely have gone after 07 semi defeat to Limerick and someone fresh come in at the start of 08 (not Davy Fitz), I think we could have had a right go at the All Ireland again. Instead we ended up in the final without ever actually having playing well at all, it papered over the cracks and ultimately we got found out badly in the final and the rest is history as they say.

Ropaire wrote: »
    I knew watching Kens last league game in Walsh Park he was going to call it a day, thought it was lousy of Davy to put him out midfield when he hadn't the legs anymore after injuries. He deserved more than that after the service he gave the counry and the game, and would have still done a serious job somewhere like full forward at the time like.

Dan put it well when he said if every lad gave what Ken did what would we have won. Absolute warrior!

Was it not in Fraher Field against Cork? He was taken off at half time. It really was heart breaking to watch. I agree he could have had something to offer on the edge of the square. Definetly the previous year in 2010. but Davy Fitz effectively said if your not up to the job I want you to do then there's no place for you on the team which was his prerogative as manager I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Tony Browne to train Lismore this year has anyone heard this? If true it would be a great appointment for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

A few things on Loachra Gael they really need to update the format. Focus on the player and not the team. A few things missing. While ken hit the lights out in the 02 Munster final he did the opposite in the next one against Cork and drove a ton of wins. He scored five points in the Wexford qualifier and there was no mention of this. They had a bit of Mount Sion winning Munster but nothing about his tour de force from midfield a few years later when he nearly dragged them over the line on his own. Strange seeing him with teeth as an eighteen year old. I remember him as a penalty taker for Mount Sion and a had a thunderous shot. Was at his peak of a forward in the year 2001 or so. Remember him having a great league and destroying most backs he was on at the time with the exception of Seanie McMahon. He was flying it full against tipp prior to his ankle injury against Tipperary. He played in a minor final against Lismore . Fairly sure he was a taken a 65. Missed the pick up and fell to his knees while striking and the ball sailed over the ball

Tipperary are playing offaly in the football before our game next Sunday (12.45 throw in, we're at 2.30).

Less pressure on us sunday but we need to avenge last year's Munster final defeat and it would not be bad to beat tipp to Guarantee our qf place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

thesultan wrote: »
    A few things on Loachra Gael they really need to update the format. Focus on the player and not the team. A few things missing. While ken hit the lights out in the 02 Munster final he did the opposite in the next one against Cork and drove a ton of wins. He scored five points in the Wexford qualifier and there was no mention of this. They had a bit of Mount Sion winning Munster but nothing about his tour de force from midfield a few years later when he nearly dragged them over the line on his own. Strange seeing him with teeth as an eighteen year old. I remember him as a penalty taker for Mount Sion and a had a thunderous shot. Was at his peak of a forward in the year 2001 or so. Remember him having a great league and destroying most backs he was on at the time with the exception of Seanie McMahon. He was flying it full against time prior to his ankle injury against Tipperary. He played in a minor final against Lismore . Fairly sure he was a taken a 65. Missed the pick up and fell to his knees while striking and the ball sailed over the ball

Yeah I see what you mean, I think they were probably just trying to highlight the fact that Ken's best years coincided with our golden years. But I agree they could probably have focussed on the player a bit more rather than the team.
    The Munster championship game v Tipp in 2000 for example where I remember he was on fire and scored about 6 or 7 points from play off Philly Maher before going off with that ankle injury. No surprise we lost our momentum then and Tipp took us by 3. They did show some of his scores from that game to be fair.

Probably should have mentioned a bit more about his club games as there were many games (county and Munster/AI club championship) he pulled MS through back around the early 00's. Maybe they didn't have much footage.

Really enjoyed the programme though, some great memories but some painful ones too. Looking at those Limerick goals in 07 still tears my heart out! Cork 06 when Ken's free was saved from going over in the dying seconds and 08 AI final were no better either!

Cake Man wrote: »
    Cork 06 when Ken's free was saved from going over in the dying seconds

he prob didnt have the power left to put to high ball in and it go over the bar or was he hoping that a waterford player would catch a low ball and put in the net. heartbreaking day we would of given kikenny a right game in the final :(:(:(:(

cul beag wrote: »
    Tony Browne to train Lismore this year has anyone heard this? If true it would be a great appointment for them.

Is Dave Bennett not staying with them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Does that mean that Tony is packing in the playing for Mount Sion?

• Advertisement

That I don't know. I heard it over the weekend about Tony Browne but wasn't sure if it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really enjoyed the Laochra Gael programme about Ken Mcgrath,one of the best episodes since the series started many years ago

Was a huge fan of Ken Mcgrath and was privileged to be there in Thurles when ye beat Cork in 04,by god he had a stormer that day at centre back,

A real class act,

A legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Tipperary are playing offaly in the football before our game next Sunday (12.45 throw in, we're at 2.30).

Less pressure on us sunday but we need to avenge last year's Munster final defeat and it would not be bad to beat tipp to Guarantee our qf place

Football game being moved to Tipp town due to concerns over Semple stadium pitch being able to take 2 games

carter10 wrote: »
    Football game being moved to Tipp town due to concerns over Semple stadium pitch being able to take 2 games

damn it always nice to watch the other code before a hurling match. Why do they bother announcing double headers when they know pitches wont be able for 2 games. I thought the pitch in semple would be like croke parks

That I don't know. I heard it over the weekend about Tony Browne but wasn't sure if it was true.

Shrewd move by Tony if true. Plenty of ideal spots for a bit of fly-fishing along the Blackwater....

• Advertisement

Hurling match on at 3pm Sunday now due to weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hurling match on at 3pm Sunday now due to weather.

Pushed back 30 minutes to avoid weather that's 4 days away? Must be some accurate forecast they've got biggrin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Pushed back because the football match was moved to Tipp town amd to give people a chnace to see both. But to be honest, doubt people will go both.

I assume it was moved because the pitch wouldn't handle two games too well at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

lads which match hurling is on tg4 this week? I know Kerry vs Donegal is the live match but it says Tipp Vs Wat is the deferred match on the42.ie and on paddy power it says KK vs Gal is the deferred one.....I'm abroad so fingers crossed for the Wat game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    lads which match hurling is on tg4 this week? I know Kerry vs Donegal is the live match but it says Tipp Vs Wat is the deferred match on the42.ie and on paddy power it says KK vs Gal is the deferred one.....I'm abroad so fingers crossed for the Wat game

http://www.tg4.ie/en/sports/gaa-beo/ Tipp Vs Wat

Speak Now wrote: »

Kerry v Wex in 1B is live from 12.30 aswell? Strange one but nice to see Kerry getting some airtime they've done tremendously well so far

Kerry v Wex in 1B is live from 12.30 aswell? Strange one but nice to see Kerry getting some airtime they've done tremendously well so far

Even better if they beat wexford

Ourselves vs Kerry in a qf down in Kerry will be a nice weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Really looking forward to it now. We have nothing to fear as we have being playing as well as anyone in the league so far. Callinan is back for Tipp and is a tremendous player so a big test for Barry Coughlan but he did fine on him last year so hopefully he does as well again. I don't think Michael Ryan will be taken in by this interview and to be honest the chances of anyone believing us playing the poor mouth are slim to none. We'll be on the shortlist for the major prizes and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

Really looking forward to it now. We have nothing to fear as we have being playing as well as anyone in the league so far. Callinan is back for Tipp and is a tremendous player so a big test for Barry Coughlan but he did fine on him last year so hopefully he does as well again. I don't think Michael Ryan will be taken in by this interview and to be honest the chances of anyone believing us playing the poor mouth are slim to none. We'll be on the shortlist for the major prizes and rightly so.

it would be nice to beat the big three in the same year/ in a row, i odubt it been done before if so not often

• Advertisement

If Barry had a bad game Sunday I would be so annoyed if people came on here saying he's not good enough. He had a tremendous 2015, he's the best full back in Waterford by a mile. Again before the KK game this year, people were saying we still need a full back. Ridiculous. In a way he's in a similar position to Joey Holden, people are waiting for him to have a bad game so they can say ahhh well he's not good enough, nothing like JJ delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

If Barry had a bad game Sunday I would be so annoyed if people came on here saying he's not good enough. He had a tremendous 2015, he's the best full back in Waterford by a mile. Again before the KK game this year, people were saying we still need a full back. Ridiculous. In a way he's in a similar position to Joey Holden, people are waiting for him to have a bad game so they can say ahhh well he's not good enough, nothing like JJ delaney

I would have to agree here. I think our full back line has been absolutely outstanding in the last 12 months or so. They have had a little extra protection but each have held some top players during that time. I would be confident enough in them at this stage to take it to the next level and remove the sweeper system in certain situations. This seems to happen at times during games, like against Cork Gleeson seemed to play free at times but out around the middle of the field before dropping back in other situations to allow D Fives play free.
    Intrigued to see how we adapt our game without Maurice present. Gleeson has had a huge influence in the last 2 games. I would have thought him the most likely to move forward to play the Maurice role but I'm not sure they'll be inclined to do this after 2 such performances. The management may also choose to hold this card back and bring it into play during championship perhaps.
    A win here would be hard earned but would afford us the chance to try out some other players in the remaining games which would be great.

Who's going to replace Maurice? Tom Devine would be my choice. Tipp's new full back Hamill is a decent player, saw him playing Fitzgibbon was always in the half back line though.

He's only saying what a lot of Tipp fans believe about themselves anyway. But you can be sure the Tipp players won't buy it. Ive no issue with a manager engaging in a little bit of this its all part of it. Sure isn't the great Cody himself the master of it always publicly bigging up the opposition to be better than what he really believes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

On team matters for Sunday, I would think that Gleeson moves to the forward line only if De Burca is back. Without Maurice we need some one that can win the high ball or at least break the ball. I'd love to see Gleeson as the target man to see what he could do. Im also looking forward to seeing D. Fives, De Burca, P. Mahony as the halfback line. I was impressed by Mahony in the first two league games, very underestimated outside the county. I also think that Darragh Fives could have a big year this year, got a great point against Cork.
    If De Burca isn't back and Gleeson stays in the backline then Devine seems like the obvious choice which probably means O' Halloran will get the nod.

On team matters for Sunday, I would think that Gleeson moves to the forward line only if De Burca is back. Without Maurice we need some one that can win the high ball or at least break the ball. I'd love to see Gleeson as the target man to see what he could do. Im also looking forward to seeing D. Fives, De Burca, P. Mahony as the halfback line. I was impressed by Mahony in the first two league games, very underestimated outside the county. I also think that Darragh Fives could have a big year this year, got a great point against Cork.
    If De Burca isn't back and Gleeson stays in the backline then Devine seems like the obvious choice which probably means O' Halloran will get the nod.

I don't understand the last bit of what you said?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

I don't understand the last bit of what you said?

Probably a reference to Tom being named to start in practically every match last year and always being changed on match day? In any case I think colm Roche could make a case for a start depending on how he was going in training.. Thought he was one of a couple of new lads to really stand out. Although if de Burca is back I'd love to see Aussie up full forward for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Is TDB fit? Thought he was out for longer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deisegal27

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)

2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)

4. Noel Connors (Passage)

5. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

6. Darragh Fives (Tourin)

7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

23. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle) - Captain

11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)

13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)

14. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)

15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Interesting replacement. While Kearney has played close to goal for Ballyduff he hasn't had much success in there for Waterford. Some of his better play has been out around the middle third. Did seem to be going fairly well for CIT in the Fitz. I wonder will he actually stay out there with Moran going wing back and Gleeson up front? It would be the most 'like for like' way of replacing Maurice but that's not to say it will happen. Interesting to see how they line out.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Interesting replacement. While Kearney has played close to goal for Ballyduff he hasn't had much success in there for Waterford. Some of his better play has been out around the middle third. Did seem to be going fairly well for CIT in the Fitz. I wonder will he actually stay out there with Moran going wing back and Gleeson up front? It would be the most 'like for like' way of replacing Maurice but that's not to say it will happen. Interesting to see how they line out.
    Big ask though if it's Jamie Barron and Kearney midfield, they'll be up against Brendan Maher and Michael Breen, 2 big lads.

Big ask though if it's Jamie Barron and Kearney midfield, they'll be up against Brendan Maher and Michael Breen, 2 big lads.

Barron is in the form of his life. He has been excellent in the first two games so have no fears there. I think Dunford will be beside him and Kearney will be in a deeper role aswell just further forward. My worry would be our strength in dept I think our bench isn't as strong as we think. Devine, O Halloran, 2 Roches, Gavin O Brien and we'll be struggling a bit after that. It will be interesting to see how Tipp combat our set up? They struggled for alot of the Munster final last year and only for Bubbles coming deeper in the second half we were well in it without having a go in the last 10 mins when the game was in the melting pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Barron is in the form of his life. He has been excellent in the first two games so have no fears there. I think Dunford will be beside him and Kearney will be in a deeper role aswell just further forward. My worry would be our strength in dept I think our bench isn't as strong as we think. Devine, O Halloran, 2 Roches, Gavin O Brien and we'll be struggling a bit after that. It will be interesting to see how Tipp combat our set up? They struggled for alot of the Munster final last year and only for Bubbles coming deeper in the second half we were well in it without having a go in the last 10 mins when the game was in the melting pot.

They'll surely have to have a rethink on the direct style of play against Kilkenny two weeks ago, would suit Waterford down to the ground you'd have to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

They'll surely have to have a rethink on the direct style of play against Kilkenny last year, would suit Waterford down to the ground you'd have to think.

I think we are a bit light upfront with that team, but glad to be proved wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well that scoreline fron croke park tonight pretty much confirms we need to win one of our last 3 games to secure a QF place anyway...

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Well that scoreline fron croke park tonight pretty much confirms we need to win one of our last 3 games to secure a QF place anyway...

A win or draw is a must tomorrow to take pressure off us. Dublin will be a tough game

A win or draw is a must tomorrow to take pressure off us. Dublin will be a tough game

What pressure exactly?

Waterford 0-11 Wexford 0-12 FT in the football. A second one point defeat of the campaign against highly fancied opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is it me or is McGrath not utilizing his panel? Surely he could play three or four new guys? He could end up like Justin in calling in guys that have no match time experience. The likes of brick, Connors and Moran could all be rested at different stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to Derek and the lads today in Thurles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement