Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Callanan out for Liam McGrath apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

thesultan wrote: »
    Is it me or is McGrath not utilizing his panel? Surely he could play three or four new guys? He could end up like Justin in calling in guys that have no match time experience. The likes of brick, Connors and Moran could all be rested at different stages.

I'd like to see a few more players getting action too but I can understand their want to ensure qualifying for qf's first. The more competitive games we can get before the championship the better. I would like to see a few more get action though, McNulty, Kieran Bennett, Tom Devine, Tommy Ryan. All of these could do with playing a league game or 2, as well as Kearney getting his chance today. And I don't mean 5 or 10 mins here and there, a meaningful run like 50 mins or so would tell a lot as to where they are at. Hopefully if get a win today might see some few changes. Important to have some depth to the panel come championship. Mahony will add another dimension if gets back to match fitness but no guarantee of that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

our undefeated streak looks to be coming to an end. 0-14-0-09 down now 43 mins gone.

dublin is a must win game next sunday

0-14-0-13 tipp 56 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tom devine goal

amazing

its 1-14-0-15 to us. Devine with the goal

3 mins left 1-16-17 waterford.

1-17-1-16 tipp fuuuck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    1-17-1-16 tipp fuuuck

Final score?

Up by one now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

some win by 1 point

1 point win 1-18 to 1-17.

our undefeated streak looks to be coming to an end. 0-14-0-09 down now 43 mins gone.

Don't ever change.

yesssss. QF guaranteed. its on tg4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Jaysus lads, at this rate we could bring Liam home with us come September.

Jaysus lads, at this rate we could bring Liam home with us come September.

Ah heyor!

time to experiment vs dublin and galway. 1b looking like it will be a Clare/limerick battle for promotion, Offaly and Wexford likely to finish 3rd/4th

30/03/2014 is the last time Waterford were defeated in the league, some going.

Last 5 league games have all been against 'the big three'...Tipp, Cork, KK, Cork and Tipp

WWWWW is the record :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Great comeback in difficult conditions. Standard of refereeing just gets worse . Some of the decisions Colin Lyons gave against us were just unreal. He gave some bad ones against tip too. Quarter finals now. One more win should see us away to wexford or offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Great comeback in difficult conditions. Standard of refereeing just gets worse . Some of the decisions Colin Lyons gave against us were just unreal. He gave some bad ones against tip too. Quarter finals now. One more win should see us away to wexford or offaly

Watched it on streaming some of the decisions he made were ridiculous. Philip Mahony swung for fresh air at one stage and he was given a yellow card. Tom Devine got a great goal, he nearly scored the winner with a piece of skill you'd only see Shefflin do. Great result lads well done

Crow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Did well to win that, Shane Bennett and Tom Devine the winning of the game I though. Really stepped up to the plate. Thought Tipp comfortably better for a lot of it but didn't take the goal chances.

But for Noel Connors not sure where we would have been with 20 left, he was immense and easily one of our most important players. Thought Dillon was very good today myself. A good win, but they could do with toning down the celebrations on the line. Its a group game in the league, need to be careful not to leave a target on our backs.

Also agree that we need to give a few more lads a run, because theres this assumption going around that we are going to have de Burca, Mahony and Shanahan back and that well be fine. Stephen Bennett also. The reality is we were lucky enough with injuries and you could be without 3 or 4 first team lads in championship, you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great battling performance by the lads. Aussie- what b**ls!! Tipp missed 2 open goals but that's for another day let us enjoy another solid victory first. I have to agree the standard of refereeing is deplorable and seems to be getting worse. Great performances again from Darragh Fives, Noel Connors and what a save by O Keeffe in the first half. Curran and Bennett were excellent and beginning to come of age, Devine,what a goal, Brick,Kearney and Dunford were very poor and Ryan non existent when introduced. Not to lose a league game in 2 years is some achievement and we're building nicely towards championship. Congrats to all involved.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

cul beag wrote:
    Great battling performance by the lads. Aussie- what b**ls!! Tipp missed 2 open goals but that's for another day let us enjoy another solid victory first. I have to agree the standard of refereeing is deplorable and seems to be getting worse. Great performances again from Darragh Fives, Noel Connors and what a save by O Keeffe in the first half. Curran and Bennett were excellent and beginning to come of age, Devine,what a goal, Brick,Kearney and Dunford were very poor and Ryan non existent when introduced. Not to lose a league game in 2 years is some achievement and we're building nicely towards championship. Congrats to all involved.

Have to agree. Kearney has had a few chances so maybe someone else needs a chance. I thought Brick was poor and Moran not as influential but got a good point. Dunford seems more of a hard ground player. As for the refereeing it's very frustrating. Kilkenny fans don't like Barry kelly but I'd take him over Lyons or James Owens. Bubbles should have been sent off but I wouldn't think he is a dirty player. Dublin next week will be hard to call . They are very good or very bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jesus I hate Eddie Brennan

Poor form from bubbles alright there today.

Jesus I hate Eddie Brennan

What did he say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What did he say ?

He doesn't need to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

cul beag wrote: »

Wasn't one of Dunfords better days but he has been immense so far in the league. Brick quiet but again he's well worth having in there, if not as a starter then definitely as a sub if only for his experience. I didn't see the entire game but towards the end of the first half I thought Kearney was doing alright? Got a nice point, put a Tipp back under serious pressure chasing him down the line that won Waterford a line ball. He seems to lack a little confidence with Waterford, something I wouldn't have thought he'd have any problem with when hurling well for CIT of late. Tommy Ryan also worked hard when introduced I felt, putting in the tackles which wouldn't exactly be his strength. He didn't get on any ball but didn't feel it was for a lack of effort or endeavour. I'd like to see more of these lads over next 2 games, as well as some of the others. As has been mentioned, we've had a relatively good run with injuries. That may not last and we need to see who is and isn't up to it rather than learning during the heat of the championship.
    Conor Gleeson, K Bennett, S Roche, McNulty some one of them should get some action in case of injuries come championship, if not more than one.

• Advertisement

If we finish top 2 we will be massive favourites going in vs wexford/offaly/Kerry and if we lose the qf it will be a massive setback.

I'd prefer to play offaly as wexford can cause up problems

Lads, I'm looking at the match programme from today online, number 17, James O'Mahony from Fourmilewater? Who is that?
    Didn't know Seamus Keating was on the panel either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Another great win. But lets all remember its still barely March. A long summer ahead yet hopefully.

On a side note, Patrick Curran has to be one of the most gorgeously stylish hurlers I've seen. I could literally sit and watch him hurl all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

If we finish top 2 we will be massive favourites going in vs wexford/offaly/Kerry and if we lose the qf it will be a massive setback.

ah will you give it a rest ffs

Losing a league q/f wouldn't be a 'massive setback'. Clare, Wexford and Limerick are all tough opposition. We won the league last year and don't need to target it as the be all and end all. If we have Div 1 status secure then its important to use the remaining games blood some new players. Nothing to be gained by persisting with the same system and pool of 20 players just to win the league and then we get to championship and find that we haven't really learned anything new about ourselves.

Galway cud be in a situation where they have to beat us too avoid the relagation playoff if they lose to tipp next weekend.

Dublin are playing us and kilkenny in the next 2 rounds and need to win at least one of these games to avoid the relation playoff.

Cork are in the relagation zone and have no chance of a qf place.

Cork vs galway relagation playoff it's looking like now

Galway cud be in a situation where they have to beat us too avoid the relagation playoff if they lose to tipp next weekend.

Dublin are playing us and kilkenny in the next 2 rounds and need to win at least one of these games to avoid the relation playoff.

Cork are in the relagation zone and have no chance of a qf place.

Cork vs galway relagation playoff it's looking like now

Wouldn't fancy getting into a relegation playoff with the rebels even if they finish bottom on no points. They're a proud lot down there and will fight to the death.

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy getting into a relegation playoff with the rebels even if they finish bottom on no points. They're a proud lot down there and will fight to the death.

The last time they played in a relagation playoff they lost in extra time to Clare and later on in the year were seconds away from winning an all Ireland.

In Waterford can we dare to dream (league,Munster and all Ireland) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Lads, I'm looking at the match programme from today online, number 17, James O'Mahony from Fourmilewater? Who is that?

That should be Conor Gleeson but I don't know where the James O'Mahony name came from. It was in the match programme for the Kilkenny game as well. They must have a team list in a digital file which they just send to the printers, and nobody either copped that error or bothered to change it. In any case I believe Gleeson and Colm Roche are injured and weren't available today, although no changes to the substitute list were announced. I don't know why Shane McNulty was named in the match programme, with Kearney taking his place. McNulty at wing back with Moran moving to midfield and Gleeson into the forwards would have made more sense to me.

Anyone know what is the idea behind there always being one player on the starting team wearing number 21 or 23 and there being no number 9? Mikey Kearney yesterday and Maurice before that. It was the same last year aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I wouldn't normally put much focus on the ref as they are only human and will make mistakes but he had a very bad day at the office. I just hope its a one off and not the norm.
    As has been mentioned already we need to look at least one or two backs that are on the bench over the next two games. Give Connors and/or Moran a day off and use our bench. No need to make whole sale changes or anything just two or three subs that we haven't seen much of over the first three games. Tom Devine made a good impact and should definitely start the next day. Id also like to see Tommy Ryan get more minutes on the field although the soft ground wouldn't suite him more than most. Jake Dillon put in another big shift again today and does alot of dirty work so that some of our other forwards can score.
    I think this Waterford team have really improved in the air which is vital if you want to have any chance of beating Kilkenny in the summer. All in all a solid win in Thurlas which takes the pressure off for the next two games. Hopefully we see some new faces over the next two weeks and still target two more wins at home. There's nothing that beats competition from within to really push on and have a right go at the championship. Fair play to this Waterford team and management making it 10 wins in a row in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Very happy with the result, the lads seemed to do very well to dig deep at the end. Was a bit sick though as I planned to get up for the match but got the time difference arseways and missed it all. Will try get more comprehensive highlights during the week.
    Only got a see a glimpse of a few scores from the RTE news report on the game but Devine took his goal well and Aussie's monster long range free was fantastic. Great to see Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran making a big contribution to the scoreboard. Always good to see our midfielders (Moran and Barron in this case) chip in with a few scores too which made all the difference in the end.

Not often we beat Tipp in Thurles, as far as I can remember I think we got a draw there about 6 or 7 years ago so it goes to show how good a result it is.

It's nice to know we're not only safe but guaranteed a QF place. One more win would surely see us top the table and an easier knockout game against the likes of Offaly/Kerry.

Would agree with others here that the Dublin and Galway games should be used to try out new faces. Doesn't have to be wholesale changes everywhere, just ensure that lads like the Roches, McNulty, Conor Gleeson, Devine, Kearney get more gametime under their belts. If Tadgh is fit, there's no reason not to give him an opportunity to get back some match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Giveitfong wrote: »
    That should be Conor Gleeson but I don't know where the James O'Mahony name came from. It was in the match programme for the Kilkenny game as well. They must have a team list in a digital file which they just send to the printers, and nobody either copped that error or bothered to change it. In any case I believe Gleeson and Colm Roche are injured and weren't available today, although no changes to the substitute list were announced. I don't know why Shane McNulty was named in the match programme, with Kearney taking his place. McNulty at wing back with Moran moving to midfield and Gleeson into the forwards would have made more sense to me.

Giveitfong, any chance of a few of your classic match reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Anyone here able to tell me who got man of the match yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Just saw the game on TG4 Sweet Jesus the ref had a nightmare.

Can someone tell me does someone look back at the matches and analyze the ref's performance? I know its human nature to make mistakes but I felt the ref never got to grips and made some awful decisions.

Nobody is talking about it because we won.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Very happy with the result, the lads seemed to do very well to dig deep at the end. Was a bit sick though as I planned to get up for the match but got the time difference arseways and missed it all. Will try get more comprehensive highlights during the week.
    Only got a see a glimpse of a few scores from the RTE news report on the game but Devine took his goal well and Aussie's monster long range free was fantastic. Great to see Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran making a big contribution to the scoreboard. Always good to see our midfielders (Moran and Barron in this case) chip in with a few scores too which made all the difference in the end.

Not often we beat Tipp in Thurles, as far as I can remember I think we got a draw there about 6 or 7 years ago so it goes to show how good a result it is.

It's nice to know we're not only safe but guaranteed a QF place. One more win would surely see us top the table and an easier knockout game against the likes of Offaly/Kerry.

Would agree with others here that the Dublin and Galway games should be used to try out new faces. Doesn't have to be wholesale changes everywhere, just ensure that lads like the Roches, McNulty, Conor Gleeson, Devine, Kearney get more gametime under their belts. If Tadgh is fit, there's no reason not to give him an opportunity to get back some match fitness.
    watch it on tg4 player.....get hola chrome and change the location to ireland, you'll get the full match

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cake Man wrote: »
    Giveitfong, any chance of a few of your classic match reports?

Thanks for the comment, Cake Man, but I only do reports on matches which aren’t shown on TV, as a service for those who can’t attend. I don’t know if you are able to see the televised games out in Sydney.

As for yesterday’s marvellous victory, the return to full fitness of Darragh Fives (my man of the match) is a huge boost to the Waterford hurlers. He is an extremely skillful and clever hurler. He has slotted seamlessly into the sweeper position, which will allow Tadhg de Búrca to take on a more constructive/offensive role when he returns from injury. On yesterday’s display, Patrick Curran is also a huge addition. He had a massive second half – apart from his frees and two points from play, his work rate around the field was prodigious and his use of the ball excellent.

Five of Waterford’s 2013 All-Ireland-winning minor team (Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran, Austin Gleeson, Tom Devine and Mikey Kearney) played in yesterday’s game, and two more (Colm Roche and Conor Gleeson) were among the substititutes. Stephen Bennett would probably have been on the team if he was fit. DJ Foran and Michael Harney would also be in the mix if they would put their mind to it. This is an amazing return from a single minor team, and goes to show just how gifted that team was (even if they did make hard work of winning the All-Ireland).

With Maurice Shanahan and Pauric Mahony also to come back in, there is no limit to what this group of mainly young hurlers can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

What a great display, it was a nice way to win, dropping behind and some guys off the high standards we have seen already this year, but kept at it and with some real leaders stand g up and some outstanding individual scores we took over and went ahead, to be pegged back but to still win from there was fantastic.

Even when we went behind near the end I was thinking that we can still be happy with the days work - never mind how it turned out!!

As is already stated we are getting some mileage out of the 2013 minors already.

Also - I think Jake Dilton deserves a mention for his display, he works his socks off...

So, so proud of this team

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

When you look at the players that are missing, who is going to lose out and what will the championship team look like? A good problem to have

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    When you look at the players that are missing, who is going to lose out and what will the championship team look like? A good problem to have

hopefully nobody gets injured in the opening round of the club championships in may.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement