Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

There was a lovely moment right after Gleeson's winning point when the camera zoomed in on some people in the crowd. I think the intention was to show a pretty woman celebrating but instead a middle-aged man - hard to tell his age due to his cap and glasses - got in the way. He wasn't jumping around like a maniac in the style of you'd-think-they'd-just-won-the-All-Ireland so beloved of a supporter of the Big Three (because all their supporters get All-Ireland medals too). He was heartily applauding a fine score by a talented player. But the grin on his face! I think it's fair to say that anyone who goes to an away League match is a committed supporter, and this man wouldn't need to be too old to remember some absolutely ghastly beatings. We shipped 31 points at this venue only two years ago. Yet there he was, seeing Tipperary begin to move away in the manner of yore, then for Waterford to haul them back, then be hit with a sucker punch as Tipp taught us to remember our station, then go from defeat to victory in injury time. What a time to be a Waterford fan - especially if you remember how bad it can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deiseach wrote: »
    There was a lovely moment right after Gleeson's winning point when the camera zoomed in on some people in the crowd. I think the intention was to show a pretty woman celebrating but instead a middle-aged man - hard to tell his age due to his cap and glasses - got in the way. He wasn't jumping around like a maniac in the style of you'd-think-they'd-just-won-the-All-Ireland so beloved of a supporter of the Big Three (because all their supporters get All-Ireland medals too). He was heartily applauding a fine score by a talented player. But the grin on his face! I think it's fair to say that anyone who goes to an away League match is a committed supporter, and this man wouldn't need to be too old to remember some absolutely ghastly beatings. We shipped 31 points at this venue only two years ago. Yet there he was, seeing Tipperary begin to move away in the manner of yore, then for Waterford to haul them back, then be hit with a sucker punch as Tipp taught us to remember our station, then go from defeat to victory in injury time. What a time to be a Waterford fan - especially if you remember how bad it can be.

recently the low blows were the 2012 and 2014 seasons even though 2012 was thrown away as we had the beatings of Cork in ALQF in thurles.

2014 was a disaster were Willie Maher and Frank Flannery to blame for that ?? as both resigned that season

the baron years in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's were horrible id say. Soccer was very popular in waterford at the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Cake Man wrote: »
    Always good to see our midfielders (Moran and Barron in this case) chip in with a few scores too which made all the difference in the end.

Moran has been playing more of an auxiliary wing back role this year. Dunford has partnered Barron in the middle of the field, generally with Gleeson playing in a free ish role around there too.

Anyone here able to tell me who got man of the match yesterday?

Patrick Curran I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

That chap is 50 in May deiseach. And the only reason he wasn't jumping up and down is that his legs are gone.

• Advertisement

That chap is 50 in May deiseach. And the only reason he wasn't jumping up and down is that his legs are gone.

You know him well then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

There's no way Pauric Mahony will start the Clare game in June unless he's absolutely buzzing in training. They're playing too well as a team, I can barely find room for TDB, I'm not his biggest fan but Jake Dillon is having a great season so far. He did an unreal amount of work yesterday. If TDB starts, then Colin Dunford loses out for me....

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    There's no way Pauric Mahony will start the Clare game in June unless he's absolutely buzzing in training. They're playing too well as a team, I can barely find room for TDB, I'm not his biggest fan but Jake Dillon is having a great season so far. He did an unreal amount of work yesterday. If TDB starts, then Colin Dunford loses out for me....

There's any number of ways one could approach it. Realistically it's unlikely Pauric will be fit to start for the Clare game. So all going well you have 2 to add to the team from yesterday. Maurice for Kearney and I think going on form so far it could be Brick that loses out for de Burca.

That would leave us with something like:

SOK
    Connors Coughlan Fives
    Moran Fives Mahony
    Barron de Burca
    Gleeson Bennett Jake
    Dunford Maurice Curran

In this system Dunford moves out the field a little, similar to his role last year. Any of the half back line could swap with de Burca to be honest, there is a huge amount of flexibility positionally in that line up.
    Add in the potential to introduce Brick, Devine, Mahony, Stephen Bennett along with plenty of other youngsters it's an exciting time.
    Your man Fagan would want to be the second coming of Paul Flynn to be forcing his way into the team the way they're going!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

You know him well then?

Oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

P Curran is a beautiful hurler

• Advertisement

If tdb brings the same qualities as last year we won't be far off come September

U21 all Ireland or a losing all Ireland senior final for us which would u take ???. Winning both wud do me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If tdb brings the same qualities as last year we won't be far off come September

U21 all Ireland or a losing all Ireland senior final for us which would u take ???. Winning both wud do me lol

To hell with the u21s. Weve wasted enough time and respources on this grade over the years and its brought us nothing. Once the younger players are making good progress with the seniors then that's what's important imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Oh yes.

So 'Sid' I take it the 'man in the crowd' they are referring to is your good self?

Amy chance you might document your views of our season to date and want lies ahead for us! Defeat to the 'banner' !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jaysus PTH it's all or nothing with you, we're either doomed to failure because we lost a preseason challenge game in January or we're going to win an AI!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Jaysus PTH it's all or nothing with you, we're either doomed to failure because we lost a preseason challenge game in January or we're going to win an AI!

He's trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

A word on Jake Dillion. Dan mentioned in an interview in the Irish Examiner that Jake "came back in fantastic condition this year". These are the things that you want to hear. Players going the extra mile because they know how fierce the competition is going to be.
    Hopefully Pauric Mahony and Stephan Bennett are, at the very least, viable options off the bench against Clare in the championship.
    And once the ground hardens up you never know who else might put their hand up, especially some of the younger players who may struggle in heavy ground conditions but thrive on the fast sod. Interesting times ahead......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone know how close Stephen Bennet is to full fitness?

I'd love to see us win the U-21 All-Ireland. I've never seen a Waterford player receive the trophy - mainly because it was so mental on the pitch in 1992 that I couldn't see Tony Browne picking it up! Oh happy, happy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Anyone know how close Stephen Bennet is to full fitness?
    I was told last night that he would be back before the end of the league I don't know how accurate that is though

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He's trolling
    no i am not just my personality. end of discussion
    I'd love to see us win the U-21 All-Ireland. I've never seen a Waterford player receive the trophy - mainly because it was so mental on the pitch in 1992 that I couldn't see Tony Browne picking it up! Oh happy, happy day.

was only 2 at the time so dont remember any of it. Im happy i can say i was standing in the premium level in croke park when kevin daly lifted the all ireland minor title in 2013. Hopefully it wont be the last time a waterford man is on the steps in the hogan lifting a cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

no i am not just my personality. end of discussion

was only 2 at the time so dont remember any of it. Im happy i can say i was standing in the premium level in croke park when kevin daly lifted the all ireland minor title in 2013. Hopefully it wont be the last time a waterford man is on the steps in the hogan lifting a cup.

oh i guess its end of discussion because you say end of discussion ,thats it so.

maybe stop trolling the forum with your nonsense and people might respect you more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

oh i guess its end of discussion because you say end of discussion ,thats it so.

maybe stop trolling the forum with your nonsense and people might respect you more

Seananigans. Pht2009 is not a troll. If u follow this forum u will see that. He means no offence with what he says. But he is always negative but he has explained this before.

so will we see changes for sunday or will derek bring out the big guns again to ensure a win and a top 2 finish ???

Don't think there will be wholesale changes which would disrupt the team and winning formula. I reckon if anything we'll see the same team named as v Tipp with the only change being Maurice in for Mikey Kearney. Maybe Iggy to get a run in goal ahead of SOK.
    Then as the game goes on (depending on how we are doing), we'll likely see Kearney, McNulty, Devine see action.

Im happy i can say i was standing in the premium level in croke park when kevin daly lifted the all ireland minor title in 2013..

wasn't it well for some... I hope you spared a thought for the rest of us misfortunates up on the hill16 who could see nothing without room to swing a cat :p:p

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    wasn't it well for some... I hope you spared a thought for the rest of us misfortunates up on the hill16 who could see nothing without room to swing a cat :p:p

I could not get a ticket in the lead up and on the Friday before the game checked toutless found a seller. They cost about 140 each. Good day though

The only times I was ever standing in hill 16 was the Ireland vs all blacks and Ireland vs France in the rugby in 2008/2009. How someone can enjoy a match somewhere that crowded is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Probably the wrong word to use because we all know what a great minor he was but for me Curran has been the find of the season so far, last year we relied too much on Maurice up front and didn't have enough spread of scores which cost us in the Munster Final in particular, Curran has given us something extra, it's not just his scoring but the work rate he put's in, he's young but imo he will be a key man in the championship. Also a word on our ability to win ball, in the air especially we seem to have really improved, if we are going to challenge the likes of KK and Tipp come Championship ability to win in the air is vital, last year against KK they trounced us in that department especially our forwards.

Probably the wrong word to use because we all know what a great minor he was but for me Curran has been the find of the season so far, last year we relied too much on Maurice up front and didn't have enough spread of scores which cost us in the Munster Final in particular, Curran has given us something extra, it's not just his scoring but the work rate he put's in, he's young but imo he will be a key man in the championship. Also a word on our ability to win ball, in the air especially we seem to have really improved, if we are going to challenge the likes of KK and Tipp come Championship ability to win in the air is vital, last year against KK they trounced us in that department especially our forwards.

So impressed with Curran. How he stepped up t the mark with such ease its hard not to get excited about the years ahead when you have the likes of him breaking through. Ive been watching him since he was a tiny 12 year old (looked about 8) playing Rice Cup with Dungarvan CBS and made Sonny Walsh the same year even at that age he was a sensational talent so I shouldn't be surprised but I guess you always question if a lad will really have what it takes when it comes to adult level.

What we have now is many leaders. When one guy drops another guy picks up. We saw that with Paudie last year when Maurice came in, and now Curran when Maurice was out. TDB has scarcely been missed such is the way that lads have stepped up this year and when you hear Austin Gleeson saying that he can't afford to let his performances drop such is the fierce competition for places it says a lot about the direction were heading.

Yeah I remember first seeing Curran at Tony Forristal level, fairly sure it was 2010. No surprise he basically single-handedly won the tournament for Waterford. Even then, you kind of knew he'd either make it or go close as he had great striking, vision, control and touch. Fantastic talent and let's hope he continues that form for the year ahead.
    He got the GAA player of the week too.

• Advertisement

Remember the open night in Walsh park in 2008 before the all Ireland final and Davy trained a juvenile team

I wonder how many of today's senior/under 21 players were in that group ?? Anyone knw

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Yeah I remember first seeing Curran at Tony Forristal level, fairly sure it was 2010. No surprise he basically single-handedly won the tournament for Waterford.

I don't think that is fair on the rest of the team, although granted Curran was exceptional. His freetaking in the final on a windy day was magnificent. I thought that was one of the best-prepared hurling teams ever put out by Waterford. A lad from De La Salle whose name I forget playing at centre back got the man of the match award in the final. I think he missed out at minor level due to injury.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I don't think that is fair on the rest of the team, although granted Curran was exceptional. His freetaking in the final on a windy day was magnificent. I thought that was one of the best-prepared hurling teams ever put out by Waterford. A lad from De La Salle whose name I forget playing at centre back got the man of the match award in the final. I think he missed out at minor level due to injury.

Ah yeah it was more meant in terms of his scoring being one of the main reasons we won every game. His free taking then was just as good as it is now and I recall he bagged a few goals too.

The lad you're referring to is Jack McCarthy. Haven't seen much of him the last few years but yes he definitely has had some injury set backs. Fairly sure he's U21 for DLS this year so hopefully we see more of him. Reminds me a bit of Eoin Madigan of DLS - big, strong lad who has been hampered by injuries the last few years.

Remember the open night in Walsh park in 2008 before the all Ireland final and Davy trained a juvenile team

I wonder how many of today's senior/under 21 players were in that group ?? Anyone knw

Don't remember it specifically but would love to see the names involved. Also with some of the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh/Arrabawn U16 tournaments from the last few years, would like to have a look through and see who made it (both from Waterford and other counties).

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Set out below is a list of names from programmes I had collected from Forristal Tournament since panels were listed.

2006 Tony Forristal Jake Dillon
    (Lost Final to Wexford) Paudie Prendergast
    Martin O’Neill
    Stephen O’Keeffe (outfield)
    Gavin O’Brien
    Darragh Fives
    Paudie O’Mahony

2006 Sonny Walsh

2007 Tony Forristal Gavin O’Brien
    (Beat Tipp In Final) Jake Dillon

2007 Sonny Walsh Jamie Barron
    Shane McNulty
    Tadgh De Burca

2008 – Tony Forristal Colin Dunford
    Tadgh De Burca
    Shane McNulty

2008 - Sonny Walsh Ryan Donnelly
    Stephen Bennett

2009 – Tony Forristal Austin Gleeson (Goalkeeper)
    (Lost to Tipp in Final) Michael Harney
    Tom Devine
    Stephen Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Michael Kearney

2009 - Sonny Walsh Patrick Curran
    (Beat Tipp in Sonny Walsh Final) Shane Bennett
    Cormac Curran

2010 – Tony Forristal Colm Roche
    (Beat Kilkenny in Final) Conor Gleeson
    Patrick Curran
    Shane Bennett
    Cormac Curran

2010 - Sonny Walsh

Not sure if the Stephen O'Keeffe of 2006 is "socks" as if my memory serves me correct there was another Stephen O'Keeffe who played Full back / Wing back with Ballygunner and the county at minor and U-21 level.

Apologies if i omitted anyone but i tried to limit it to those who are currently part or have been a a regular part of the senior county set up. A lot of other lads have played Minor and U-21 and may yet play a part with the seniors.

Also important to remember that as far as i know up to around 2010 it was allowed to use lads a year out to play in the Sonny Walsh to give them experience, hence the overlap, but now as i understand it they have to be up to the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

A few more thoughts post Thurles.

Thinking of some of the better performers on Sunday: Dara Fives, Pat Curran, Shane Bennett, Jake Dillon, SOK and Devine were not among the 11 all star nominations last year.

We have beaten all the 1a teams the last time we played them.

Out of 9 league games only 2 were won by the away team.

1-15 of the 1-18 total was scored by U-21 players.

5 starters plus 5 of the panel for Tipp and Waterford were involved in both Sundays league game and the 2012 minor game that Tipp won by 19 points. Seamus Keating is probably of that vintage as well. 3 others had a stint on the Waterford panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.the42.ie/ken-mcgrath-austin-gleeson-waterford-2647133-Mar2016/

lads every year i try not to get my hopes up stay calm and sure if it comes its a surprise, invariably the lads do something in the year that gets my hopes up and then im back on the bandwagon for the big one.

i think the latest it went was against kk in 2013 when we were up going into et.

this year it happened in the first league match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Is throw in this Sunday 2 o'clock?

blueflame wrote: »

Not sure if the Stephen O'Keeffe of 2006 is "socks" as if my memory serves me correct there was another Stephen O'Keeffe who played Full back / Wing back with Ballygunner and the county at minor and U-21 level.

Yea that was the other Stephen O'Keeffe alright. Mad that Austin Gleeson was in goals and wasn't deemed good enough to be outfield, I think I remember him as being a bit heavy for his age and there's no way you'd have picked him out as being a future star. Goes to to show. The Tony Forristal really has been the catalyst for the development of our young players. Didn't we lose 3 finals in a row? 04 05 and 06 before finally winning one in 07. Once these lads saw they could compete with the best at that age by the time they get to minor / adult level there is a mindset that they are as good as anyone and we are seeing the fruits of that today. I hope this fantastic work can be sustained at underage level and we can keep the conveyor belt flowing

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Yea that was the other Stephen O'Keeffe alright. Mad that Austin Gleeson was in goals and wasn't deemed good enough to be outfield, I think I remember him as being a bit heavy for his age and there's no way you'd have picked him out as being a future star. Goes to to show. The Tony Forristal really has been the catalyst for the development of our young players. Didn't we lose 3 finals in a row? 04 05 and 06 before finally winning one in 07. Once these lads saw they could compete with the best at that age by the time they get to minor / adult level there is a mindset that they are as good as anyone and we are seeing the fruits of that today. I hope this fantastic work can be sustained at underage level and we can keep the conveyor belt flowing

Definitely. I think the TF teams of those years you mentioned 04-07 along with the 2010 winning team has produced a huge amount of top quality players who are now playing intercounty senior. Very rare to get so many diamonds out of such few teams. The norm is that if one or two went on to make it from a minor team, you'd be doing well.

Maybe it happens in cycles as well I suppose as the last few minor teams weren't great. A few decent players though that will hopefully go on to be good enough for senior (I'm thinking Edmund O'Halloran, Darragh Lyons).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In 2009 Waterford got the mix between the Forristal and Sonny Walsh teams wrong, as they ran away with the Sonny Walsh final but were well beaten by Tipp in the Forristal final. Tipp had a couple of really big lads who dominated that game. Waterford had some big lads in the Sonny Walsh team (including Cormac Curran) and if a couple of these had been in the Forristal team they might have been able to contain the big Tipp lads. However, it was a great achievement to be in both finals and the following year they won the Forristal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Waterford are looking good in fairness but there's no All Ireland's won in March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Waterford are looking good in fairness but there's no All Ireland's won in March!

^^ Club All Irelands ^^ ;)

I remember for certain Noel Connors playing when Waterford lost to Tipp in 2004, and i think Philip Mahony played the same year.

Interesting to note KKs lack of success in the Tony Forristal up until 2003. They had won the first tournament that only involved themselves and Waterford and did not win again until 2003 appearing in 5 finals in the in-term loosing all of them. Since 2003 they have have appears in 4 further finals winning 3 of then. Despite these stats they constantly show up at Minor level.

Big issue with underage tournaments is they are run in a blitz fashion over a weekend and on a weekend anything could happen. From a Waterford point of view, the fact that we have been very competitive each year since the early 2000 s even when not winning or reaching finals, has stood to our underage hurlers. They now feel that they have a right to be on the same pitch as the elite and no longer are intimidated. Even last year our minors who went out very early were extremely unlucky to loose to Tipp who were beaten finalists, so the margins between success and failure is very fine. Some other fine hurlers outside of Darragh Lyons and Edmund O'Halloran on recent side, including the likes of Connor Prunty, Calum Lyons, Andy Molumby, and Pater Hogan. Hopefully the conveyor belt an continue but it takes a hell of a lot of work at underage, it doesn't just happen.

It is interesting to look at the improvement and take into account the comments of Ken in his Laochra Gael programme, i believe like Ken that while they never managed to win an All-Ireland they sowed a seed that made hurling fashionable again in Waterford and restored a pride that had been damaged badly and encouraged the current crop to strive for higher aims. I think that this means a lot to Ken and this teammates and should never be forgotten. Hopefully the current team will encourage the next generation and inspire them to again greater heights.

Thank God you posted that, I was about to book a dozen rooms in the Croke Park Hotel for the first weekend in September. Close one!

Sorry a mis-type Kilkenny lost only 1 and won 4 of the last 5 finals they appeared in in Forristal from 2003 to 2016

By my calculations beat Dublin and we will finish 1st in the table regardless of our result vs Galway.

A draw vs dublin will guarantee at least 2nd place

If we lose vs Dublin and Galway than we could finish 3rd depending on other results.

Cork beating kilkenny would suite us

I'd be paying attention to the offaly vs wexford game dis weekend as there's a good chance will will be playing one of them teams in the qf. The final day winner takes all 1b Clare vs Limerick match will be a classic (if of course they both win dis weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

blueflame wrote: »
    Sorry a mis-type Kilkenny lost only 1 and won 4 of the last 5 finals they appeared in in Forristal from 2003 to 2016

Interesting that no team has ever won the Tony Forristal went on an won a minor All Ireland four years later. Development of players is what it's all about. We're lucky that we're producing talent on a regular basis the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Thank God you posted that, I was about to book a dozen rooms in the Croke Park Hotel for the first weekend in September. Close one!

Haven't seen anyone mention winning the all Ireland. One lad said he tries not to get his hopes up each year and then you have this lad coming on saying that we all think we are going to win the all Ireland. Team are playing very very well and we are all very happy but we know the score.

Being from Galway he probably knows the score more than we do.

O Riain wrote: »
    Being from Galway he probably knows the score more than we do.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What time is the match on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What time is the match on Sunday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement