Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

BMW select

• 29-03-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Anyone doing the BMW select plan (pcp) with Joe Duffy? If so what are the pros and cons, other then the usually you never own the bike...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Big-Mac wrote: »
    Anyone doing the BMW select plan (pcp) with Joe Duffy? If so what are the pros and cons, other then the usually you never own the bike...

Con number 1. Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

blade1 wrote: »
    Con number 1. Joe Duffy!

Are they that bad? I seen a few posts saying that alright...

Are they that bad? I seen a few posts saying that alright...

Not my bike but I have seen work they have done on bikes and a lot of complaining too.
    Saying that maybe som people think they are great.
    Someone on here with a bmw could give you firsthand experience maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Con number 1. Joe Duffy!

Absolute tossers.

Without exception every job I've had done on my bike by JD's has had to be rectified afterwards.

Horrible people to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on what's included in the plan. Is all maintenance free? Some 16 year old trainee mechanic will probably be using your bike to be trained in on :D
    I bought 2 bikes off them, but definitely wouldnt recommend them.
    Put it like this, on the ukgser forum (GS owners) people were going on the ferry to england, getting their service for so much cheaper in wales/england that it would pay for their ferry, b&b for a few days and petrol food too :pac:
    Some of the bigger service intervals were costing 5-600 euro compared to about €250 in england. And as Makikomi said, not even done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I got a quote on BMW select for an S1000R.

From memory, it was:

€4500 deposit
    36 payments of €168
    And then a final payment of €7500 or so if you wanted to own the bike. Otherwise you could hand the bike back, get another new one and start the process again.

The issues are all work must be done at JD's as per service schedule plus there's mileage limits on it. You can choose either 4k, 8k or 12k per year. If the bike goes back at the end with more mileage then you had chosen they can charge you a fee per KM you are over.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Depends on what's included in the plan. Is all maintenance free? Some 16 year old trainee mechanic will probably be using your bike to be trained in on :D
    I bought 2 bikes off them, but definitely wouldnt recommend them.
    Put it like this, on the ukgser forum (GS owners) people were going on the ferry to england, getting their service for so much cheaper in wales/england that it would pay for their ferry, b&b for a few days and petrol food too :pac:
    Some of the bigger service intervals were costing 5-600 euro compared to about €250 in england. And as Makikomi said, not even done right.

€500 or €600!

DaveD wrote: »

From memory, it was:

€4500 deposit
    36 payments of €168
    And then a final payment of €7500 or so if you wanted to own the bike. Otherwise you could hand the bike back, get another new one and start the process again.

The issues are all work must be done at JD's as per service schedule plus there's mileage limits on it. You can choose either 4k, 8k or 12k per year. If the bike goes back at the end with more mileage then you had chosen they can charge you a fee per KM you are over.

Ya that's pretty much it, you have another option though. Sell the bike privately, a 3 year old s1000r will be worth more then €7500. Pay it off and get some of the money back that you have paid in interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

As per Blade 1---Joe Duffy -Con 1. Run now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Wouldn't drive a BMW if they gave me one for free. Know a guy that sold his BMW and bought a Yamaha instead because of the **** with servicing it. Hes happy to this day with it a Yamaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

BMW select may make sense to some, but I didn't see the point. If you can't buy outright, then finance is a better option. You will get more selling the bike privately than "Select" would give you.

Have a look around, do the maths and see what your options are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

szatan84 wrote: »
    Wouldn't drive a BMW if they gave me one for free. Know a guy that sold his BMW and bought a Yamaha instead because of the **** with servicing it. Hes happy to this day with it a Yamaha.

I'd take one for free. Just don't service it with a main dealer, problem solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Ya that's pretty much it, you have another option though. Sell the bike privately, a 3 year old s1000r will be worth more then €7500. Pay it off and get some of the money back that you have paid in interest.
    Surely though the dealer would rather take it back from you, sell it on for more (as it'll be coming from a dealer, with a full dealer history) and then return the difference to you?

I looked at an S1000RR on PCP before and while the deposit and monthly repayment figures were good, it was the mileage restrictions and final balloon payment that killed it for me, I'd have ended up paying money to hand back the bike and having no lump sum to buy another bike if I wanted to leave the PCP deal.

KT10 wrote: »
    Surely though the dealer would rather take it back from you, sell it on for more (as it'll be coming from a dealer, with a full dealer history) and then return the difference to you?

I looked at an S1000RR on PCP before and while the deposit and monthly repayment figures were good, it was the mileage restrictions and final balloon payment that killed it for me, I'd have ended up paying money to hand back the bike and having no lump sum to buy another bike if I wanted to leave the PCP deal.

Think it works out at €80 per 1000km you do over...I'm looking at it as renting the bike, which is what it is.

What I see as the pros are:

1. You have a brand new bike for low deposit and low monthly payments (180-200)

2. The bike is under warrantee.

3. The prices people are asking for 2007 2008 gs is more then half the price of a new one.

4. If you want to sell the bike you can and it will be worth more then the end balloon payment. Think I was told 7k after 3 years of pcp for a R1200GS. You find me a 3 year old GS for 7k.

5. You can start a new contract in 3 years and keep driving a new bike.

Cons:

1. Expensive dealer services

2.You don't own the bike (not an issue for me tho really)

3. Milage restrictions (but it's like 0.008 cent per Km over the agreed Kms)

The argument of don't buy anything unless you can pay in cash out of your savings I don't agree with, I'd rather not put my saving into something like a car or bike and have no problem paying extra for not having to do so.

I know the people saying don't buy unless you have it, ie the money saved, have mortgages which is HP at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

what happens if you drop it, or worse?

are you allowed do any mods to it?

Wossack wrote: »
    what happens if you drop it, or worse?

are you allowed do any mods to it?

If you damage it you still have to pay for it but this will change its future value I would assume.

If you crash it hopefully insurance would cover most of the cost.

I would only do simple mods like crash/ engine bars and boxes...things you can take off again if you are not planning on keeping it.

Think it works out at €80 per 1000km you do over...I'm looking at it as renting the bike, which is what it is.

What I see as the pros are:

1. You have a brand new bike for low deposit and low monthly payments (180-200)

2. The bike is under warrantee.

3. The prices people are asking for 2007 2008 gs is more then half the price of a new one.

4. If you want to sell the bike you can and it will be worth more then the end balloon payment. Think I was told 7k after 3 years of pcp for a R1200GS. You find me a 3 year old GS for 7k.

5. You can start a new contract in 3 years and keep driving a new bike.

Cons:

1. Expensive dealer services

2.You don't own the bike (not an issue for me tho really)

3. Milage restrictions (but it's like 0.008 cent per Km over the agreed Kms)

The argument of don't buy anything unless you can pay in cash out of your savings I don't agree with, I'd rather not put my saving into something like a car or bike and have no problem paying extra for not having to do so.

I know the people saying don't buy unless you have it, ie the money saved, have mortgages which is HP at the end of the day.
    Each to their own.

I once got a loan of 7000 for a bike.
    Made absolute shît of it and myself aswell.
    Couldn't get out of bed for a month,in Agony for 6 months, crutches for a year and a bad limp for two years.

All of that I have no problem with.
    What pissed me off more than anything was I was paying back a loan for something I didn't have.

Each to their own.

I once got a loan of 7000 for a bike.
    Made absolute shît of it and myself aswell.
    Couldn't get out of bed for a month,in Agony for 6 months, crutches for a year and a bad limp for two years.

All of that I have no problem with.
    What pissed me off more than anything was I was paying back a loan for something I didn't have.

Did you not have fully comp insurance?

Did you not have fully comp insurance?

No, couldn't afford at the time.
    I wanted the bike and I could just get enough money to pay for it.
    So just went with 3rd party.

I have now though:pac:

No, couldn't afford at the time.
    I wanted the bike and I could just get enough money to pay for it.
    So just went with 3rd party.

I have now though:pac:

Ah man I feel for ya, that must have been a bit@h...

I was the same with my first few cars when I was 19-20. insurance was just so I could get on the road didn't care what it covered as long as it was cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 kyzia

DaveD wrote: »

From memory, it was:

€4500 deposit
    36 payments of €168

I'm thinking of getting an S1000R, so I just did a few sums on this to see if it's worth it...

The bike's listed at €13,250
    Total cost from above (€4,500 + €168 * 36 + €7,500) is €18,048

But... the €4,500 deposit is (presumably) your own money, so you're actually "borrowing" €8750 and then paying them €13,548 (€168 * 36 + €7,500) in 3 years.

..that's equivalent to an APR of 14.66%, which seems a bit on the high side to me. Okay, the monthly payments are lower than if you get a loan from the bank, but you're presumably still going to have to save for that €7,500 at the end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's gas.and you have the likes of Suzuki offering pay half now and half in 2 years 0%apr in the UK. Shows you how crap the deals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

kyzia wrote: »
    you're presumably still going to have to save for that €7,500 at the end...
    Am I wrong in thinking they give you a guaranteed minimum value on your bike at the end of that period though? And that GMV is used to either wipe out your final payment, or go towards a new bike? :confused:

Advertisement