Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU coolers & First Build In A Long Time

Options
  • 29-03-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

finally decided to take the plunge and complete my first build for more years than many of you are probably on the planet! And while the basics seem the same, there are many more considerations than 'back in my day' :p

Come up the spec below but have no idea where I should be going in terms of CPU cooler. Advice on this appreciated.

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Zalman ZM-T3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I think I am good apart from the advice on the cooler

Cheers
    Whitey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can't over clock so there's no need in getting a new cooler unless it will be under heavy load all the time. If you need one though, the Hyper Evo 212 is a good one, about €30

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Thanks for the reply and Ignorance goes on show again.

what stops overclocking is it the CPU/MB?
    is it worth going for - only very minimal gaming and nothing too heavy.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

whiteboard wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and Ignorance goes on show again.

what stops overclocking is it the CPU/MB?
    is it worth going for - only very minimal gaming and nothing too heavy.

Cheers

Both you will need a a cpu with a k at the end of the model eg. Intel Core i5-4670K and a Z97 chipset motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tuxy wrote: »
    Both you will need a a cpu with a k at the end of the model eg. Intel Core i5-4670K and a Z97 chipset motherboard.

You can over clock on any motherboard, Z series are better for over clocking if I'm correct.

The CPU should do you for a few years whiteboard, more if you don't play CPU intensive games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No cooler needed, the stock Intel one is fine.

16GB of Ram is totally unnecessary, unless you're doing a lot of editing work with the PC.

Also, you haven't included any graphics card, unless you're playing indie titles the onboard graphics will not cut it with the majority modern games (as in, literally unplayable).

• Advertisement

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

Lets simplify and say no gaming, but i'll expand a bit further.

Currently have a 7 year old Dell with Core 2 Duo and 4Gb RAM running W7.
    Mainly used for at home research/learning on Microsoft dev tools which run ok on the current kit.

Had 2 of these babies and after one gave up the ghost (RIP) I think its time to put something else in place.

One of the goals apart from carrying forward current tools, is to look into running the likes of VirtualBox, hence the 16GB.
    Haven't dabbled in this stuff at all, so no idea if I am even in the ballpark with the spec.

Hey folks, still tweaking and changing my '1st build in a long time'

1x Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box [BX80646I54460]
    2x HyperX FURY Series 8GB DDR3 1866MHz CL10 [HX318C10F/8]
    1x MSI H97M-G43 Intel LGA1150 H97 [7924-002R]
    1x Seagate ST1000DX001 3.5 inch 1TB Hybrid Internal Solid State Drive [ST1000DX001]
    1x Zalman T3 Mini M-ATX/M-ITX Tower Case [ZM-T3]
    1x Corsair Builder Series CX430 - power supply - 430 Watt [CP-9020046-EU]

Total €536.30 after geizhals.de but before shipping of €11.99

Main use will be for running visual studio & sql server (evening time research for work)
    No gaming in normal circumstances
    Currently getting by on a rapidly aging Core 2 Duo Setup

all comments welcome, especially around MOBO and PSU!

Cheers
    Whitey

Advertisement