Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Glass in Sliding Door

• 29-03-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am just renovating an old house and had new sliding doors installed. They are pretty big doors in size 2.5 metres high by 3.5 metres long. I had a protective film put over the glass to help stop scratching during the build process. Anyway last week one of the windows just shattered. I was devastated when I seen it but to compound things when I rang the company that supplied and installed them and to my amazement the company are not accepting responsibility for product failure. They said that the window got a bang and tough luck. Anyone got any advice on what I can do as company ignoring me now. No rep from the company will even come out and look at damaged window. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel really sick over the whole thing.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Clondegad wrote: »
    . Anyway last week one of the windows just shattered.
    how did it break? Did you have trades on site? Was it the internal pain or external pain?
    Anyone got any advice on what I can do as company ignoring me now.
    will the company replace the glass for a fee? Can you find a local glass fitter to replace the glass like for like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Had to check it was not April 1 yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a phenomenon where glass is known to just break of its own accord.
    It can be down to being pinched in the frame and not having adequate room for expansion.
    Other cause is minor defects to glass edge that develop further due to wind stresses or expansion/ contraction. Another issue is defective glass makeup / faults in the glass manufacturing. Finally you have damage caused by installer or end user.
    Did the glass shatter or is it just a crack? If its still there and if the crack appeared to come from the edge of the panel, I'd be contacting the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clondegad

I was onsite till 11.30 pm the night before and all ok. The following morning I got a call from my plaster at 8.10am asking what happened with the window. I had a glaze guard plastic on the glass inside and out. The shatter seems to come from the bottom corner of the frame. It was the outside pane that was broke. If there was an impact from an object the plastic on the glass would show signs of impact. How can the company make an assumption that it was damaged by an impact without even inspecting it. Anyone that has seen it reckon product failure. The company say I have to pay to get it replaced. If I can't get any satisfaction from them who can I go to take it futher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

Clondegad wrote: »
    I was onsite till 11.30 pm the night before and all ok. The following morning I got a call from my plaster at 8.10am asking what happened with the window. I had a glaze guard plastic on the glass inside and out. The shatter seems to come from the bottom corner of the frame. It was the outside pane that was broke. If there was an impact from an object the plastic on the glass would show signs of impact. How can the company make an assumption that it was damaged by an impact without even inspecting it. Anyone that has seen it reckon product failure. The company say I have to pay to get it replaced. If I can't get any satisfaction from them who can I go to take it futher
    Perhaps there was a fault or weakness but I suspect there had to be some impact to shatter in the end.

Hard to see window just breaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement