Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with Dogs Trust

• 29-03-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi there, I was at the induction training at Dogs trust this morning and I really loved it there and would like to get started volunteering immediately (even next weekend) The staff seemed nice and the facilities are really good so was very much looking forward to it. the only 'tiny' issue is that I dont drive and getting there is more painful than I thought. I got the 103 bus from beresford place in town and then on the way a back a taxi to finglas village, then 2 buses back to D3 where I live. Is there anybody living around D3 or D5 or town that goes there to volunteer at weekends? Any other active DT volunteers in the forum? I am trying to understand if there is other options like car pooling or a better way to get there via public transport. Doing what I did today every weekend wont be possible and I really want to see if there's any other option before giving this up. thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you not just walk up and get the 103 back into town? The bus stop is just past the flyover/slip road to go back onto the N2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It might be worth asking on the Commuting and Transport forum. Some very knowledgeable folks there regarding the vagaries of Dublin's public transport, and they may come up with some useful, but not immediately obvious, routes.

Also try the National Journey Planner on www.a-b.ie if you haven't already, although that sometimes comes up with some bizarre options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, we don't normally allow posting of individual named rescues, but as it's kinda critical to your enquiry I'll make an exception in this case.
    Just be aware of it in future, and I hope you get yourself sorted out :)
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kyra

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you not just walk up and get the 103 back into town? The bus stop is just past the flyover/slip road to go back onto the N2.

Thanks for your reply, I have asked the staff and they said it's a bit of a walk and I have seen the road, there is no footpath and a bit isolated, so I opted for a taxi to finglas as everybody there seemed to have their own transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

kyra wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I have asked the staff and they said it's a bit of a walk and I have seen the road, there is no footpath and a bit isolated, so I opted for a taxi to finglas as everybody there seemed to have their own transport.

Best option. Its a very isolated road and there are no paths and very limited lighting, I wouldn't feel safe walking down it for the sake of a few quid. You are better off getting the taxi. If you are in Dublin 5 the 17a passes through Finglas Village, that would be a better option for you than going back into town.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    OP, we don't normally allow posting of individual named rescues, but as it's kinda critical to your enquiry I'll make an exception in this case.
    Just be aware of it in future, and I hope you get yourself sorted out :)
    Thanks,
    DBB

Apologies, I should have read the chart... thanks for allowing the exception
    you can xxx out the name of the rescue and just leave the address/direction to it if that helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could you cycle?

kyra wrote: »

The whole road is quiet there in fairness but I'd say it's 10 mins max walk. I'd say your best bet if you don't want to walk it is to see if you can get somebody to drop you Charlestown or the village or even just back to North Road? Some of the busses going from the village go down Withworth road onto Dorset street so depending on where you are in Dub 3 you could walk from there if you didn't want to go into town and get a bus back out. I worked in East Point for years and used to walk down from the botanic gardens before I got a bike/car.

The whole road is quiet there in fairness but I'd say it's 10 mins max walk. I'd say your best bet if you don't want to walk it is to see if you can get somebody to drop you Charlestown or the village or even just back to North Road? Some of the busses going from the village go down Withworth road onto Dorset street so depending on where you are in Dub 3 you could walk from there if you didn't want to go into town and get a bus back out. I worked in East Point for years and used to walk down from the botanic gardens before I got a bike/car.

thanks again, I have just checked on google maps and the walk to the bus stop on the way back into town would be doable if road conditions were slightly better. I need to go back and start talking to people and see if anybody could even drop me down the village and then get a bus down to glasnevin and walk my way home from there... Everybody just fled the scene today :) there was no much talking but they all seemed to have a car so might not hurt to ask. thank you. I truly cant wait to get started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

OP I was there last weekend, it is a five to ten minute walk to the bus stop back into town and there is a bus every half an hour. Didn't find it scary to walk to the bus stop, honestly. I really don't think it's a problem so long as you walk to there in daylight. There is footpath most of the way and plenty of cars passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 banana.

When getting the 103 which of these bus stops you get off at?
    www. buseireann.ie/pdf/1337780276-103.pdf
    (Remove space after the www. )

The stop isn't listed on the Pdf but you won't miss it - you'll see the signs for Coldwinters and Dog's Trust and once you see DT ring the bell - the bus stop is just past it :

DT is on the left and the stop is on the right :

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.413636,-6.319315,3a,75y,222.81h,78.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scN_2Kg1QlAxbALsle_NcVQ!2e0

(So once you drive under the M50 you'll be getting off in 2 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banana.

The stop isn't listed on the Pdf but you won't miss it - you'll see the signs for Coldwinters and Dog's Trust and once you see DT ring the bell - the bus stop is just past it :

DT is on the left and the stop is on the right :

(So once you drive under the M50 you'll be getting off in 2 mins)

Thanks a mill :)
    It looks like the stop is on the same side of the road as Dogs Trust or am I looking at the wrong one?
    Also what time should I get the bus from Beresford Place if I want to be there for 9.30am?

And do you know what direction I should walk to get the bus back to town? Is it that stop right after that little bridge thing, sort of in between 2 traffic lights and in front of sings saying Local Access & Ashbourne?
    Sorry for all the questions ha I'm clueless!

Advertisement