Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Only Four Channels Available On Saorview

• 29-03-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Can only get 4 channels here in Waterford on Saorview, RTE1, RTE 1 plus 1 UTV and one radio station, can't watch the match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Those are the Mux2 channels, the others are on Mux1. Either a problem with the transmitter or your aerial setup.

If it's a transmitter problem then other viewers will have the same problem from that transmitter, all OK here in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

When I do a scan it says found 37 channels but it only shows 4. How do I get mux 1 channels?

200motels wrote: »
    When I do a scan it says found 37 channels but it only shows 4. How do I get mux 1 channels?

Mux2 carries a lot of blank hidden channels, hence 37 channels. If you're not receiving the other channels then it could be down to an aerial or cabling issue i.e. insufficient signal to the TV (similar issue here recently). What's your aerial setup?

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux2 carries a lot of blank hidden channels, hence 37 channels. If you're not receiving the other channels then it could be down to an aerial or cabling issue i.e. insufficient signal to the TV (similar issue here recently). What's your aerial setup?
    I could always get them as I have an outdoor Ariel. Must check connections.

I could always get them as I have an outdoor Ariel.

With digital there can be a fine line between getting them and not, the signal level could be close to the edge, not saying that could be your problem though.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    With digital there can be a fine line between getting them and not, the signal level could be close to the edge, not saying that could be your problem though.
    I checked connections and one was a bit loose, so I did a rescan and got them all back. Thanks for responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

I checked connections and one was a bit loose, so I did a rescan and got them all back. Thanks for responses.

good just in time to see shane long equalise!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I had a similar issue - several times during the daytime last week, I was unable to tune into RTE2, TV3, etc, I could only get the Mux 2 channels.

However checking my other saorview boxes, they could receive the missing channels. Then without my doing anything, after approx 4pm, the channels on Mux 1 could again be found via a scan.

Is it possible that even though the channels are broadcasting, they for some reason are not available via a scan, that is, that the mux is not advertising them?

its probably a connection issue to that box/ tv

kooga wrote: »
    its probably a connection issue to that box/ tv

That's what I thought also at first, but when it happened several times, and always seems to resolve itself in the evenings, I wondered if it might be some network maintenance going on during the day.

i'm using a HPTC with a DVB-T2 card, and it scans 482MHz and 506Mhz (Mux 1 and 2 ). Does that main frequency advertise the individual channels available on the Mux, which might explain why an already tuned in box would work but a scan would not?

• Advertisement

but its only that box that is giving trouble? so unlikely to be maintenance , am i correct in saying you are tuned into castlebar station. I am wondering are the other boxes in the house tuned into castlebar?

Its working fine now, and yes in Castlebar. Once tuned in, reception is perfect so I was just annoyed as to why I was having such difficulty getting it tuned in the first place.

If there is no technical reason why a transmitting channel could not be tuneable via the Mux frequency, then I guess it must be just down to some flakyness on my tuner card.

Anyways all good now. In process of getting rid of all the set top boxes and streaming both saorview and freesat from my HTPC to kodi front ends, and working well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Some tuners are more sensitive than others. If your signal is just on the limit it may work "perfectly" most of the time and then dip below the threshold at other times. When it fails again, try one of the working boxes at that location using all the same cables as the HTPC to rule them out of the equation.
    If it's happening at the same time each day, consider local interference from something else in the immediate area or even voltage drops at the HTPC socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

Where are you in Waterford?

There is a local fill in transmitter in Waterford located on the hill over Dominics Place.

It is vertical polarisation but is receivable all over Waterford with minimal aerials.

If you are on horizontal polarisation with the aerial pointing towards Mt Leinster try moving it.

Advertisement