Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Litter training my rabbit

• 29-03-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I got a Flemish giant rabbit a few days ago she's only 6 weeks old so she's not to big yet, I want to start litter training her as soon as possible I've tried putting some hay into the litter box and put some of her own droppings into the box To encourag Her to go toilet in there it doesn't seem to be working I'm still finding her droppings ever where! Any advise would be much appreciated thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As long as she pees in the litter tray, that's a major victory. Rabbit poo is hard and has no smell so its not too bad, but the main focus of litter training should be getting them to pee there.
    Find out where she prefers to pee / poo, and put the litter tray there, rather than trying to get her to go in a specific spot.

Usually takes a month or two before they get it really, rabbits are not the smartest creatures!

Also if its a she, look into getting her neutered, female rabbits are prone to cancer if unneutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shannonlol

Silverfish wrote: »
    As long as she pees in the litter tray, that's a major victory. Rabbit poo is hard and has no smell so its not too bad, but the main focus of litter training should be getting them to pee there.
    Find out where she prefers to pee / poo, and put the litter tray there, rather than trying to get her to go in a specific spot.

Usually takes a month or two before they get it really, rabbits are not the smartest creatures!

Also if its a she, look into getting her neutered, female rabbits are prone to cancer if unneutered.
    Thanks I don't want to get her neutered because I got her of a known breeder and he said to bring her back and he will breed her for me. If I don't get her neutered will it cause her problems even if she has a litter of her own?

shannonlol wrote: »
    Thanks I don't want to get her neutered because I got her of a known breeder and he said to bring her back and he will breed her for me. If I don't get her neutered will it cause her problems even if she has a litter of her own?

Why do you want to breed her?

Why do you want to breed her?

the man said to bring her back and breed her because she's has a really nice coat and so does he parents and be has one that he'd like to breed her with in 8 months time for her babys because they'd do good in competition. Would it not be a good idea?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I suppose it'd be fair to ask, when you set out looking for a giant rabbit, what did you want?
    Did you genuinely want to get into breeding?
    Or were you genuinely only interested in buying a pet?
    Do you know what's involved? I don't btw :D, just curious if you know what's ahead!

• Advertisement

shannonlol wrote: »
    the man said to bring her back and breed her because she's has a really nice coat and so does he parents and be has one that he'd like to breed her with in 8 months time for her babys because they'd do good in competition. Would it not be a good idea?

No harm I guess, as long as you're not holding the babies, but bear in mind shelters are full of buns and I only have my two because one was dumped in a housing estate and the other was dumped at a shelter in very bad condition.
    But Flems aren't a common breed in Ireland so they're not the common petshop rabbit, and if she comes from a reputable breeder then he probably has homes lined up before the buns are born.

I'd be sure to have her neutered afterwards, uterine cancer affects 85% of un-neutered female buns and it's a horrible painful way for them to go.

Might be worth getting advice from a good vet too, Bairbre O'Malley in Bray is the best for rabbits imo.

No harm I guess, as long as you're not holding the babies, but bear in mind shelters are full of buns and I only have my two because one was dumped in a housing estate and the other was dumped at a shelter in very bad condition.
    But Flems aren't a common breed in Ireland so they're not the common petshop rabbit, and if she comes from a reputable breeder then he probably has homes lined up before the buns are born.

I'd be sure to have her neutered afterwards, uterine cancer affects 85% of un-neutered female buns and it's a horrible painful way for them to go.

Might be worth getting advice from a good vet too, Bairbre O'Malley in Bray is the best for rabbits imo.
    Thanks for the advise, I was planning to get her spayed after she has her litter, ill be sure to check out that vet aswell thanks

DBB wrote: »
    I suppose it'd be fair to ask, when you set out looking for a giant rabbit, what did you want?
    Did you genuinely want to get into breeding?
    Or were you genuinely only interested in buying a pet?
    Do you know what's involved? I don't btw :D, just curious if you know what's ahead!
    Well when I first taught about getting my rabbit it was just for a pet but I spent a few weeks really looking into it and I wanted to get into breeding I'm keeping in touch with the man I got my rabbit of he's a known breeder so ill bring my rabbit to him when she's old enough to breed and ill get to know a bit more about it and hopefully ill be able to breed them myself soon enough

Advertisement