Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polar RC3 GPS Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch with Cadence €80

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Collected mine, first impressions is that it's no where near as polished as my garmin 110. I only got it for the cadence sensor and hrm. Not a chance I would have paid more for it. I cycle about 250km a week so will pist back in a week with a full review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

If anyone has a reservation for Dublin south would appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

A shame it seems to be such a crap device for syncing to any of the popular fitness apps/programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

For anyone else having issues with the HRM my battery was dead too, a quick trip to boots and all is well (the battery is a CR2025 for reference). As noted by someone else the first GPS lock is slow to establish, I left it on a window sill for 5 mins last night to get lock, but this morning it locked in under a min. Going to try and sync from my cycle this morning to Strava and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I have one reservation code left for Blanch for €64 (I'm not selling it, it's free for whoever PMs me first)

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Going to try and sync from my cycle this morning to Strava and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ok, for anyone interested in the Strava transfer of rides - I uploaded from my RC3 to polarpersonaltrainer.com (Link) - used the export gpx and imported into Strava (Link)

So the heart rate data doesn't make it across (I suspect the cadence wouldn't either, but haven't set that up yet) - I think for me I'm OK with this - I can use the two sites and get the insights I want across the two. I'm happy with being able to see more of my stats on the road (verses using my phone and a BLE HRM with the Strava app - with my phone in my pocket I can't see anything).

Paddy

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    For anyone else having issues with the HRM my battery was dead too, a quick trip to boots and all is well (the battery is a CR2025 for reference). As noted by someone else the first GPS lock is slow to establish, I left it on a window sill for 5 mins last night to get lock, but this morning it locked in under a min. Going to try and sync from my cycle this morning to Strava and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Paddy

Couldn't sync the hrm either, cadence got it first time. Will try a new battery later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Used mine for the 1st time this morning and both the GPS and the HRM worked fine.
    Does anyone know how to set the alert on the watch to let you know if you go over a certain BPM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

fletch wrote: »
    I have one reservation code left for Blanch for €64 (I'm not selling it, it's free for whoever PMs me first)

Prob gone but would love this.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Halfords in Mahon Point still have one, but they want €80 if anyone wants it. PM me for reservation number if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

have a code for Castlebar, still undecided if i want it or not.

If anyone wants it PM me i'll send it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

If anyone has a spare reservation in Dublin please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭knipper

whiterebel wrote: »
    Halfords in Mahon Point still have one, but they want €80 if anyone wants it. PM me for reservation number if you want it.

Just pmd you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

ooter wrote: »
    Used mine for the 1st time this morning and both the GPS and the HRM worked fine.
    Does anyone know how to set the alert on the watch to let you know if you go over a certain BPM?

Page 14 online manual, you can adjust option using a computer, try that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

knipper wrote: »
    Just pmd you.

PM Sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Picked it up today for €64.00 thanks op :)

Yeah thanks op,great bargain.
    And thanks Chris,I'll check that out.
    My only gripe with the watch is it doesn't give mile splits like my garmin but for the price I paid I'm not going to complain.:)

Does anyone know if the battery in the HRM is losing power by leaving it in all the time or does it only switch on when the watch hooks up with it?

Does anyone know if the battery in the HRM is losing power by leaving it in all the time or does it only switch on when the watch hooks up with it?

I don't know for sure, but the quoted battery life is about a year, I'd guess it's losing power all the time waiting for a hand shake from the watch, but uses more power when active... I'm guessing the stock we're buying is 2-3 years old hence the number of DOA HRM batteries.

Paddy

• Advertisement

DOA. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

DOA. :-)

You can get these batteries is most euro shops.

rom wrote: »
    You can get these batteries is most euro shops.

Yeah,I have some already for my current HRM,I got 4 for €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I think if you take the hrm off the strap, it prolongs the battery, I think I read that in one of the manuals

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

[QUOTE=PaddyFagan

So the heart rate data doesn't make it across (I suspect the cadence wouldn't either, but haven't set that up yet) - I think for me I'm OK with this - I can use the two sites and get the insights I want across the two. I'm happy with being able to see more of my stats on the road (verses using my phone and a BLE HRM with the Strava app - with my phone in my pocket I can't see anything).

Paddy[/QUOTE]

There is a handy utility to do this , its called tcx creator that you can set up to monitor the files you export from polar web sync.
    Basically you plug in watch , polar websync automatically loads , you go to training computer , training data , tick the files you want to export , it exports them to a pre configured folder. from there you can drag them to tcx creator which will merge them into one tcx file and you can sent them to strava , endomondo etc.
    You can also set tcx creator to automatically monitor this folder , pick up the two files , merge them to one tcx file and even automatically upload it to strava with email notification. This only uploads to strava , nothing else. It works a treat.

one other thing , i believe the cadence sensor has a non replaceable battery so when its gone you need to buy another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Isot10 wrote: »

one other thing , i believe the cadence sensor has a non replaceable battery so when its gone you need to buy another.

Thats ridiculous I googled it and you can do a 'hack' to get the battery out - I'm sure if you seal it and wrap it in some insulation tape afterwards it should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Whats everyones opinion with this after having it a few days ?
    I thought I would be a lot more impressed with it, hit and miss with it locking on the GPS in a quick enough time.
    Half thinking of returning it .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

thanks for the video , will have a go when the time comes.
    as regards the speed of gps lock , it seems faster to lock if you are stationary rather than moving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This has to be in my top three bargains I've ever picked up here on this forum, thanks OP.

Cost €310 on amazon, so €65 for it an absolute steal :)

Yes I assume they are selling these off as slightly older stock as the future of tech like this is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) so all the sensors etc. and watch can connect to smart phones and their apps.

However BLE is new, still maturing and it is expensive. For instance the BLE version of this watch and sensors from Polar cost over €500 on Amazon!

I was going to wait a few years for the BLE gear to mature and come down in price before buying a watch like this. But €65 for everything is a complete no brainer. It might not be as fancy or convenient as BLE, but it will do very well for a future years until I upgrade.

I have a garmin forerunner 10 and it can take ages to pick up the GPS signal,I've only used this watch once but it picked up the signal quicker.

good watch & kit, new batteries off you go, gps locks fast ,spot on no difference with my s5, done 60 km, guide me home, function 9, basic but works, good for touring conemeara, stop whining the lot of yee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hi all,

Picked up mine from Tallaght tis morn. Thanks op.

Anyone any tips on the HRM, I changed the battery but I'm getting nothing out of it.. Just showing 00.

Thanks

Hi all,

Picked up mine from Tallaght tis morn. Thanks op.

Anyone any tips on the HRM, I changed the battery but I'm getting nothing out of it.. Just showing 00.

Thanks

Did you moisten the strip?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

Does anyone have any reservations for the Dublin area that they don't need please?

Hi Folks,

Used it a again today - delighted. Following the tip above, I have a Strava import including the HRM and cadence - link - I used http://polarconverter.azurewebsites.net/ worked (once I got the timezone right! - Summer Time => GMT+1)

Also worth having a play with the custom logos for anyone feeling geeky.

344227.jpg

Paddy

blagards wrote: »
    Does anyone have any reservations for the Dublin area that they don't need please?

I pm'd a reservation to a poster on here the other day but his last activity was April 1st so I doubt he got it.
    If anyone would like to try it tomorrow let me know and I'll send the details.
    It's for halfords in blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Anyone with a reservation they're not using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Did you moisten the strip?

Yeah I figured it out. Cheers

I did 100km this morning. Had to adjust the cadence sensor after the first 2km but then it worked perfectly.
    As regards the HRM it showed 00 for the first 65km then it worked on off for the remainder which was a nuisance as each time it stopped the screen had a check heart rate monitor message which meant I couldn't see my speed or cadence.
    I'll try one more battery till I get in to polar about the HRM. I did moisten it and was sweaty aswell. I did read that if your a big chest / fat you may need conductive gel to get a good read.

Sussed out how to do this while on my run today,if you hold in the start button during an activity it will lock in to the zone you are in and will alert you if you go above that zone,hold it in again to cancel the function.
    The alert/tone is not very loud to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anybody want mine?

Bought on impulse and never gonna use it. Plus the kid decided to wash my phone, so need cash to replace that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Looks like I won't be able to pick one of these up. I still have the reservation code from kildare75 if anyone wants it
    (not sure if it goes out of date)

EDIT they do go out of date. Sorry to anyone else who was trying to get the reservation at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

Soarer wrote: »
    Anybody want mine?

Bought on impulse and never gonna use it. Plus the kid decided to wash my phone, so need cash to replace that!

I'd be interested in taking it off you if it's still going. Didn't notice the alert until it was sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

uponthegad wrote: »
    I'd be interested in taking it off you if it's still going. Didn't notice the alert until it was sold out.

Are you in Cork? Would prefer not to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I pm'd a reservation to a poster on here the other day but his last activity was April 1st so I doubt he got it.
    If anyone would like to try it tomorrow let me know and I'll send the details.
    It's for halfords in blanch.

Is this still going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

Are you in Cork? Would prefer not to post.

Dublin. Would prefer pick up also, thanks anyway. If anyone else is having buyers regret let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Anybody want mine?

Still available?

Is this still going ?

Nah,it expired last Monday.
    Battery life on this watch is excellent, way batter than my garmin.

they messed me around in galway , said it would be in stock monday last, no sign, rang 3 times during the week, got not in stock , computers down, blah blah, today they said, 'it was sent to someone else in england', ordered last tues, offered me a garmin for 100. balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Anyone having an issue where it's asking for the time and date to be reset regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Got this for a friend who know not needed, would perfer to meet or send via parcelmotel. Can meet in Dublin 15 or close by, if anyone is still looking, hasant been taken out of box

Advertisement