Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please advise - About renting an apartment

Options
  • 29-03-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all,

I am new to Dublin and will be staying here for about 6 months along with my wife and kid. I will be working near Grand Canal Square area and need help to pin-point some specific areas nearby to rent a 1 Bed apartment.

I have looked through the forums and it appears that IFSC area would suit me best. Could anyone please suggest a decent neighborhood near Grand Canal Square or IFSC? My monthly budget for 1 Bed apartment is about 1200-1300 euros. Appreciate your time reading this and providing any pointers.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Clariona quay is quite nice but very expensive:

http://www.daft.ie/21538777

Castleforbes square is ok, slightly cheaper:

http://www.daft.ie/21538167

http://www.daft.ie/21539423

Further into town is a bit cheaper or drumcondra maybe, and either might take an extra 5/10mins in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 5 puneet478

Hi johnnyskeleton,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Yes, I have requested for a viewing for Clarion Quay apartment and it is on top of my list. However, I dropped the idea of renting at Castleforbes with regard to certain reviews about area being secluded especially at night.

I have shortlisted a few more properties as follows. If you could spare a couple of minutes & take a quick look at these areas pls? (Being a new user I cannot post links directly).

Sandymount road, Sandymoun, Dublin 4
    Charleston Avenue, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
    Moland House, Talbot Street, Dublin 1
    The windmill, Windmill lane, Dublin 2?

Best Regards,
    Puneet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

puneet478 wrote: »
    Hi johnnyskeleton,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Yes, I have requested for a viewing for Clarion Quay apartment and it is on top of my list. However, I dropped the idea of renting at Castleforbes with regard to certain reviews about area being secluded especially at night.

I have shortlisted a few more properties as follows. If you could spare a couple of minutes & take a quick look at these areas pls? (Being a new user I cannot post links directly).

Best Regards,
    Puneet

I would ditch the Talbot Street property, it's not an area I feel comfortable walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Seconded, dump Talbot Street, at any hour of the day.

I don't know Castleforbes Square, though I've heard the streets nearby can be a bit rough at night, but that was 10 years ago, it might have picked up. One thing to consider is realistically how often will you be going out at night, and if you were, would you get a taxi home? From a glance at neighbours website, they seem to have a sense of community, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Ranelagh would be a great place for your wife and child to live while you are at work. Charleston ave is near to a small park and theres lots of shops and cafes around. For you getting to Grand Canal you would be looking at a half hour walk or else maybe you could get a bike?

I'd pick Ranelagh but maybe I'm biased because I lived there for almost 7 years, (5 with small children) and my kids go to school there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

puneet478 wrote: »
    Hi johnnyskeleton,

Best Regards,
    Puneet

Sandymount or ranelagh will be maybe a 20-30 min walk in the morning or short cycle/bus etc. Would probably take about the same amount of time to drive in unless in a taxi. Both very nice areas (by and large) and ideal for children in a way that dublin city centre is not.

All things being equal, if i worked in grand canal dock and I could pick one of those areas where there is a similar quality apartment and similar price, Id go sandymount hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 puneet478

Many thanks athtrasna, Thoie, LashingLady and johnnyskeleton for your valuable inputs. Appreciate your help.

Advertisement