Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-using strawberry plants/runners from 2014

Options
  • 30-03-2015 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any tips! I know folk usually reccomend dumping and buying new but im adamant not to spend any mo.ey this year. Ive stripped em all down and discarded old leaves etc and repotted, but was wondering if a tomato feed would do any good later on?
    A few had a little maggot in the root which I took out. I still planted them though as the crown looks healthy enough.
    I also have a green plastic lidl greenhouse thing so would it be worthwhile using it for strawberries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

oh crap little maggot could be a disaster waiting to happen-vine weevil

ohh crap hope its not these buggers:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Get rid of if ya even see a vine weevil I had a crop of over 200 plants going back 6 years ago all from runners... Got one years good fruit and following year they were wiped out by these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Get rid of if ya even see a vine weevil I had a crop of over 200 plants going back 6 years ago all from runners... Got one years good fruit and following year they were wiped out by these...

Ya thanks. They're all potted up separately now so I'll just continue and see what happens. Ive inspected the old ones and found a few vine weevils but kept them separate after removing the maggot and the soil.

. I think maybe next year I'll just use the strawberries from the runners only. I'm taking a break from the intensive gardening this summer so the strawberry thing was just a case of try it out and see what happens. (Probably just do tomatoes)

i had a great time late in the evening going round my plants with a head torch and a pliers=le crunch,i found out even neat jeyes fluid has no effect as they can swim,the nematodes was the best thing i could find to combat them.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    i had a great time late in the evening going round my plants with a head torch and a pliers=le crunch,i found out even neat jeyes fluid has no effect as they can swim,the nematodes was the best thing i could find to combat them.

Where did you get the nematodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Red Hare wrote: »

Cool thanks,

Advertisement