Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please read. whistle blowers act? need advice asap.

Options
  • 30-03-2015 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I got a job at a local gas station in December. I should have known right away that there would be trouble. My manager hired her son before i started working and after I got hired I heard about all the petty nonsense that has been going on because of him. He is lazy and ungrateful. The store is always a mess when he works, he never does anything and is rude to the customers. There have been many complaints about him and no action has ever been taken. His mom covers for him and punishes the other employees if they complain about him or 'start something'. she finds a way to fire them or push them to the edge until they quit. She's written me up twice in the past 4 months I've worked here and he has not been written up once. I know they have sold tobacco to minors just this month. I sent in a very lengthy letter to our district manager regarding all of this but he has not taken any action so far. that was three weeks ago. We have a store meeting this coming week to talk about it but I don't think anything will be done about them. They should be fired on the spot in my opinion and the company has had a good reputation for doing that on their store visits if the store is not perfect, So i don't know why something hasn't been done about this a while ago. I'm pretty sure the DM has told my manager about the letter and that I was the one who sent it because she is taking away my hours. The friday after i sent it was an open day because someone just quit (because of the manager) and she asked me if I could come in, i was working at my other job when she asked so I couldn't get back to her right away so she asked the other employee.When I got done with work I told her that if he really didn't want to work then I still could come in because he worked 3 days in a row covering for the person who quit. She called him after I told her I could come in and told him to not give me the hours because she is 'mad' at me. My co worker at my other job said there is a law against that, i think it was the whistle blowers act or something. I talked to the DM about her son selling to minors and he basically said if he does it again he's fired. Shouldnt he be fired for the one time?! He knew he was selling to a minor and asked the minor to buy HIM a pack of cigarettes. His mom covered for him there too, cause he told the minor to come in a few days later so he could pay him back but his mom was working and told the minor that she will leave the money in an envelope somewhere for him to get.And i'm sure this isn't the first time he's done it.

But what can I do about this?! Any help and/or advice is much appreciated asap! the meeting is in a few days and i want to be prepared.

If you need any more information to give the best advice please ask. I wrote this pretty quick to get it out there. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobbigail

She also just hired her daughter to cover for the person who quit, i'm sure her daughter is a much better worker than her son but i'm also pretty darn sure there is going to be favoritism. 'before' she started working they both came in and her daughter bought a lottery ticket scratch off. there is a sign that plainly stated that is you are employed at that station it is illegal to purchase and play lottery at any of the stations. I told them but her mom said, " it doesn't count until her first day of work". Is that true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 joebothers

Talking about her daughter buying a lottery ticket sums the whole thread up to be honest. It doesn't seem like its that bad there, keep your head down and just do the work. They are not shouting at you and dont seem that bad and reporting them for cigarettes is just stupid.

Every workplace has its problems, just deal with it. What can they actually do to fix the situation? Just looks to me like you love trouble and want an easy place to work. Based on the above I wouldn't hire you. You seem to give out about everything. Also you need to understand its the shops son! What she going to do fire him? He will have it easy enough and can basically do what he wants. If you don't like it leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobbigail

Thanks for the input I really needed it. I wasnt sure if i was going over board or not. but seeing it from your view really put it in perspective. thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bobbigail wrote: »
    So I got a job at a local gas station in December.
    Are you based in the United States?

This forum is primarily used by people in Ireland. Comments you receive may not be relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Thread closed on request of OP.

//MOD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement