Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League Structure.

• 30-03-2015 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭

We are often more than quick to criticise the GAA when they get it wrong so I would like to praise the GAA on getting it right on the Hurling League structure.

For two years in a row now it has produced great leagues. A great relegation battle this year. Only right that one team goes down from Division 1A.

Two great semi finals to look forward to with a Division 1B, ie Waterford well in it.

I suggest that this year the semi finals be played in Nowlan Park Kilkenny as a double header where they would just about get a full house.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

They will most likely be played in Semple stadiium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd agree that its much better than before, although I think part of that is because management in general is taking everything more and more seriously each year and trying to get every last bit out of their team.

However it really should just be two up, two down between 1A and 1B (and 2A), and the top four teams in 1A going into semis with first and second having home advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

In contrast, I think it's a shambles. Clare have been relegated but can still win division one. Why doesn't the team that finishes rock bottom not just get relegated automatically?

If you think about it, it would probably have been easier for Kilkenny to win the league had they been relegated. They would walk to the top of the table, and the only difference would be that they would have to play a QF. I know that for developmental purposes it's better to keep playing the best so that was enough of an incentive for Kilkenny to stay up but my point is still valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

thelad95 wrote: »
    In contrast, I think it's a shambles. Clare have been relegated but can still win division one. Why doesn't the team that finishes rock bottom not just get relegated automatically?

What.

But yeah the two teams at the bottom should drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Orizio wrote: »
    What.

But yeah the two teams at the bottom should drop.

I think he means they can still win it next year.

The system where 1b teams get two comptete in the knockout phase has to remain if they are going to retain a bunched up 1a with very few games. It's a ridiculous league. Last year Waterford were relegated after finishing the league with two wins. The same that Tipp and Dublin finished with but got relegated. You shouldn't be punished with max one or two competitive games for a year because of that.

The GAA are very happy with the current system so it will not change. Personally I would like 1b and 1a to be equal and selected on a draw like it used to be. If I was making a minor tweak to the current system it should be two up two down which would make 1b a lot more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its a joke that the winners of the 2A division still have to play the losers of 1B relegation play off.

AND Antrim have a two week break, whereas Westmeath or Kerry have one week.

It should be automatic promotion and relegation.
    One rule for the top teams. Another rile for everyone else. That sickens me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The 2012/2013 format was better. Too many teams in the quarter finals, same reward for 4th place in 1B than in 1A, in fact, 4th in 1A had an away quarter final while 4th in 1B had a home tie.

My one and only problem with the new league format in the first place was that it was rushed in too soon, Limerick won promotion from division 2 in 2011 only to be re-relegated off the pitch in the autumn, Wexford too were royally screwed; being relegated in the boardroom after preserving their top flight status on the pitch.

The only problem teams had with the 2012/2013 format was that four of the big 12 would only have 5 games, the quarter finals were only introduced to give the big 12 a 6th game. No such change was introduced for non top tier counties, in fact the only change made for those counties was a measure to protect the top tier counties by introducing the relegation/promotion play-off between 1B and 2A.

A team shouldn't get an extra game just for the sake of giving them an extra game. That should be an earned privilege, not a right. Three 1A and one 1B team making the knockout phase is fair. And the 1B final was more fair too (and I don't say that because it would be convenient for my own county after having finished second, it was also fair when we finished 1st in 2013 only for Dublin to defeat us in the final)

Advertisement