Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania aftermath thread.

• 30-03-2015 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Poll up now

Rating 188 votes

0%
    1%
    PluckyIrishBlaineglued 3 votes
    0%
    1%
    sugarmanMAJRThe Showstopper 3 votes
    2%
    FirewalkwithmeDarkglassesbucketybuckToo Tough To Die 4 votes
    2%
    D-FENSLovelyguyAgent CoulsonJaMarcusHustlePotential Underachiever 5 votes
    9%
    mayordenisGhostInTheRuinsNodyIang87happyoutscanbaldshincagefactorHeasoTugboatsriffmongousari gold24gaybeerhufpc8w3adnk65XenjibeakerjoeDep!Ken Shamrock 17 votes
    26%
    nasty_crashgimmickRoarA Primal NutLord TSCFurious-RedFloppybitsShaneUA-TrainjeffkDrumSteveEire-DeargDeeper BluebmwguyThunbergsAreGoAngrondeano546montyrebeltheavengerJP Liz V1 50 votes
    41%
    Bounty HunterentropiMthor5Legend_DITrichie.cEyespyHerculeconnemara manNUTZZBandana boyDuffartvanduletbluemachaveliwilfordrossie1977MoneymakeroverexcitedajorestesMachismo Fangerrybbadd 78 votes
    14%
    GonzoWinning Handsuper_furryCianan2Mr.Nice GuyQikBaxRiddler83princemuzzyibFoxerMitchKoobskiD.Qthe deftoneLiam OSirsokKCAccidentalirish_stevo815RojiblancosMr BlobbyOmackeralPalo Alto 28 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well the best way I can describe that WrestleMania is.... it was a big bag of.... FUN.

I gave it an 8. More-so the kid in me did. Prior to last week, I have no feelings towards WM as I just didn't believe in Reigns or the Main Event, I felt it was all too obvious and boring.

Then Lesnar announced he had re-signed... and all of a sudden WM had my attention, I needed to see how they would book themselves out of the corner without damaging either man and well they pulled it off brilliantly.

The Good

> Kidd/Cesaro, Bryan & Rollins all walking away from a WWE PPV with a title is only ever a good thing, them walking out of WM with titles even better.

> The 4 way tag team match, was a good opener for the preshow, with some nice spots and the best team won.

> Ambrose's sick bump, he's crazy we get it, I would LOVE it if they mentioned the fact he was taken out/concussed/in hospital as to why he didn't stop Mr. Rollins later on that night, but that's not going to happen.

> DAT RKO

> DX Vs. NWO

> Bray's Entrance, in lieu of Darkness they made it work.

> Lesnar just being Lesnar, he is a beast. I would actually pay $19.98 a month if it meant he appeared on every Raw and PPV. Could watch him beat and suplex opponents all night.

> Making Reigns look bad-ass and actually suck the crowd into the end of that Main Event, when Lesnar kicked out of those punches and spear, I really thought Reigns had it.

> DAT Cash In.

> Also if we're treating WM like the WWE's season Finale then based off the previous "season" Rollins deserved it, he's been the MVP of the WWE for the past 12 months, like Bryan was the previous year.

The Bad

> Big Show winning the ATGMBR, If he's retiring from in-ring competition, then grand perfect good send off, if he's hanging around then WHY GOD WHY.

> #Givedivasachance more like #givemeabreak, Divas weren't given much to work with and really didn't did the opportunity either. Somebody get the nXt ladies to give them some tips.

> Sting/HHH, aside from the nWo/DX interference, I hated the whole wCw/WWE angle to it, that battle is long gone and it goes to show no matter how many years it's been since Vince won't give wCw any kind of victory even though wCw has been dead since 2001. You just think, why did Sting bother to come back from that.

> I know a few people will disagree with me on this but if they wanted to make Taker looked strong they should have had him completely maul Wyatt, shorter match, more offence from Taker. Make him look like a beast and have the commentators say you should have left the deadman dead. Wyatt's stock is worth nothing since Cena steamrolled through him.

The Ugly

> That HHH entrance, they used to mock wCw for Robocop and cheap tie-ins. Ah hello.... Looked cheap as chips.

> The IWC, I hate this word as I am well aware I am apart of the IWC. But my god there is NO pleasing people, people on here and FB complained about the sun being too bright, like WWE had a say in what time it set, the PPV is designed to suit both coasts in the states and maximise the size of the audience. People forget that the city bids for WM years in advance and if the bid is good enough you don't turn it down as Taker's entrance would look shíte.

Sheamus, Sheamus, Sheamus, if I heard his name one more time last night I would have cried. A rumour gets out and all of a sudden he's getting involved in every match on the card. Also Bray's ankle went from being sore to broken in three places to they've scrapped the match completely.

The Main Event, I'm so annoyed by alot of people's reaction to the Main Event, loads of people were saying Rollins was so obvious yet prior to the event they were saying Reigns is being shoved down our throats, crowd will boo when he wins, etc etc.... no matter what WWE did last night the reaction by the "IWC" was going to be the same.

Lesnar wins -Ah sure that was obvious the minute he announced he was staying
    Reigns wins -Ah shure that was obvious from the build he was given (That would have been my pick ;) )
    Rollins wins - Ah sure it was obvious he was going to cash-in.

If it was so obvious why didn't more people call it before the event? Even how he cashed in was different that before. But yet people spat on it, now not everyone but alot of people online complained about the event, but for the people who complained about almost everything why watch it? I admit I wasn't crazy about Reigns but man that Main Event was Fun.

I apologise for the long post and the rant at the end but I'm indulging the kid in me who's first WM was WMX and first live WM was WM12 (and you think last night show had issues!!) and back then for WM12 as a kid I loved every match, I loved the WM feel, the getting to stay up late, getting drawn in, last night felt like that too, it had a big time feel about it and hopefully they can build from it tonight, because after last night, it's wide open where do we go from here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

A hell of a lot of fun. Fell asleep before the final match. Gutted I missed Rollins taking the title. Would have never expected that.
    Apart from the over long and drawn out ronda rousey/rock v Steph/ triple h segment it flew by as a paperview.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also on a side-note I just want to comment on how incredibly civil it was in the Live thread last night.

It moved so quick but it was great fun and everyone posted in a respectful manner you should have seen some of the shíte on other sites and FB.

Makes me proud to be a boards user and well done to the PW Mods who have kept this place in great shape all year round, wrestling can be a touchy and divisive subject at times but the atmosphere here in general is more jovial than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Didnt see it live but watched the main matches online very early this morning, pretty much went the way i expected apart from sting and hhh, and as much as i love the DX v NWO angle, the fact Hall and Nash are HHH's mates, it made no sense to come out and side with sting, i also wish HBK would stop teasing us by coming back and superkicking somebody without it leading anywhere.

It was great to see Ronda Rousey there, but she didnt need The Rock there, but i guess him been there sets up his mania match next year.

Loved Rollins winning the title, the way hes been booked the last couple of weeks, i just felt he was cashing in last night..... plus Lesnar losing sets up a chance to Challenge Austin tonight on Raw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mostly enjoyed that I have to say. Haven't been watching WWE much bar NXT, but dug the show last night. Got a kick out of the NWO/DX bit - total nostalgia and just a bit of fun. That entrance from HHH though :rolleyes:

Nice finish to the main event, which should make things interesting over the next while.

8/10 for me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

Loughc wrote: »
    > Making Reigns look bad-ass and actually suck the crowd into the end of that Main Event, when Lesnar kicked out of those punches and spear, I really thought Reigns had it.

Sorry but Reigns never once looked bad ass during the match. Looked completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't watch wrestling at all anymore bar the Rumble and Mania every year without fail.

Rollins cashing in was brilliant totally unexpected. Reigns as champion would have been awful, he literally has nothing going for him.

John Cena needs a new gimmick everyone is just so sick of him.

The Sting and HHH match while it was fun, it was poor enough. Sting moves very well for a 55 year old I must say, credit to him for keeping in such good shape. That WCW vs WWE angle was really lame.

Hopefully Sting gets another match/angle to work with more substance.

NWO and DX thing probably got the biggest pop of the night which says it all that WWE still have to roll out the old men to get the crowd excited. The current crop of talent is so poor in comparison.

WWE are lucky to have Lesnar for another 3 years as there is literally no else who can draw like he can. He is just pure box office, absolute beast of a performer.

I know they don't have the talent but they really need to look at the benchmark they set at WM17 and try to come near it next year. Austin vs Lesnar is where they need to go IMO its the only match that hasn't been done, and to get Austin for one last match would be box office in itself. If not Brock and Rock at Mania would be good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

8/10 from me.

It was hard for me to find any faults for this show bar Mizdow should of won Battle Royal instead of Big Show and Sting should went over Haitch.

No every match on the show was a 5 star classic, but the show was packed with plenty of WM moments which kept my interest for entire 4 hours.

cagefactor wrote: »
    Sorry but Reigns never once looked bad ass during the match. Looked completely out of his depth.

I thought the closing segment when it looked like he was closing in on a win and how he took some of Lesnar's stiff shots made him look pretty bad-ass moreso than his character has since he came back from injury.

I thought the closing segment when it looked like he was closing in on a win and how he took some of Lesnar's stiff shots made him look pretty bad-ass moreso than his character has since he came back from injury.

He still never looked like he was going to win, he has zero charisma, he is flat and boring, him as WWE champion would be a damning indictment of the company.

How the creative team have elevated him to this high in the card is beyond me, he has zero potential. Rollins is on another league in comparison.
    Reigns doesn't even have an exciting finisher, Kerb stomp is poor but the Superman punch is far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Gave it an 8/10.

So many good Wrestlemania moments, I completely marked out at Ronda's involvement (as I'm sure Dave Meltzer did aswell), The title switch was perfectly booked. Reigns looked Strong, Brock looked strong AND you got the belt off Lesnar without him being pinned.

Did not feel like I watched 5 hours of WWE. Good job WWE.

Also, I loved the look of this show, the daytime show just felt really unique.

Roll on Post Mania Raw tonight!

rob316 wrote: »
    He still never looked like he was going to win, he has zero charisma, he is flat and boring, him as WWE champion would be a damning indictment of the company.

How the creative team have elevated him to this high in the card is beyond me, he has zero potential. Rollins is on another league in comparison.
    Reigns doesn't even have an exciting finisher, Kerb stomp is poor but the Superman punch is far worse.

I agree with all this in bold, but tell me after Lesnar busted his head opened, took three superman punches and was it two spears he didn't have a chance? I was certain Vince was going to book him to go over clean, not because he's the best or most deservant or talented, because Vince is crazy.

I 100% agree Rollins was the better choice by a country mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I tapped out after the Sting - HHH match last night and went to sleep, up early this morning to watch the rest before it was spoiled on me. What an absolutely fantastic show from start to finish, I'll post my thoughts later on.

Just as an aside, I agree with the poster above who commented on the live thread, it was my first time being here for a ppv and it was very enjoyable having a decent conversation going about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

8/10 for me some really good matches and some great moments.

DX vs Nwo was just brilliant for me its the kind of moments wrestlemania is for like austin,rock and hogan last year.

Reigns vs brock was great with rollins cashing in made it so special. Thought it made all 3 look great and was finally impressed by reigns and if they can get his character right he can be a star.

Stuff i didnt like was hhh over sting it just seemed anticlimactic when it happened nevermind the fact sting should have won.

Big show winning just lost a great moment for sandow.

But the biggest thing i didnt like was the daylight on the whole event just felt it took away from the feel of it much prefer it in darkness,

rob316 wrote: »

Agree 100%, never looked like was going to win, not with the crowd so against him. An audible would have had to be called if he was planned to win. The forced comeback fell flat without the crowd behind him

It's damning on Reigns if he is thrown into a new feud now while Orton & Rollins fight over the title for a while. Unless of course Brock wins the title on Raw tonight - wouldnt suprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

To quote someone from Twitter:

"This Wrestlemania wasn't so much about great matches, but so many great moments! Felt like a kid today watching it"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

I gave it an 8, best PPV in a long while.
    Only the Rock segment dragged, everything else was pure entertainment.
    Orton celebrating the RKO was class, that was my highlight of the night.

I agree with all this in bold, but tell me after Lesnar busted his head opened, took three superman punches and was it two spears he didn't have a chance? I was certain Vince was going to book him to go over clean, not because he's the best or most deservant or talented, because Vince is crazy.

I 100% agree Rollins was the better choice by a country mile.

Doesn't matter, Rollins was in the match for 2 minutes and was a more credible winner. Reigns beating Lesnar? Give me a break.

While my jaw was on the floor after Lesnar beat Taker last year, and as unbelievable as it was, Lesnar was still a credible winner and one the fans could believe.

Reigns just doesn't carry the confidence and swagger to believe he could beat Lesnar. Have you watched one of his promo's? Dull as dishwater.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I wasnt blown away. My issues with the event:

HHH v Sting: I said last night the end made no sense. People shake hands after a classic match. Sting accepting HHH handshake after he got DX to run in was stupid. It wasnt a Wrestlemania moment.

The Rock segment: Nobody ever again has the right to moan about Wrestlers not being given a chance or being stuck on a pre show when they drool over rubbish like this.

Lesnar/Reigns: I went into this match with zero interest and they both changed that. It was physical, bloody and compelling to watch. One of the most unique WM main events but they bottled the finish and we didnt get the end of the story. With no cash in, and a little bit more ring time both men could have left that match with a standing ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

8/10

Gonna be a long day at work but happy I watched live.

One of my favourite Mania's in a long time. Have never been a huge fan of Sting but he was great in the build up and it was probably the most excited I've been about wrestling in a while. They could do with him for the occasional ppv so beating him in his first match seems typically short sighted.

The Rusev streak could have continued until next years Mania. Hope he stays with Lana and they can build him up again.

Taker surely retires next year.

Went into the main event hoping Brock remained champ but great finish and a deserving champion. Reigns is brutal. Lesnar is going to be one of the greatest ever before he's finished.

Will be a hard act to follow tonight but looking forward to the next few weeks and hopefully they start building on the momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nice to see some positivity around here.

Agree that it was an event of moments rather than great wrestling. But that's what I want from Wrestlemania.

It's a show worth watching again.

Delighted that Rollins left as champion. They played the main event so well. Reigns got a good battering, they played up a lol reigns wins scenario, made it look like Rollins might fail to cash in and actually be the one to be pinned but ended up with the ideal ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I haven't watched WWF in about 15 or so years. Turned on last night before bed and caught the Randy TKO dude match which was pretty impressive from a wresting pov.

I've never even heard of the Sting but the entrance kept my interest up, reminded me of Spinal tap or something. It was great. Fight was even better when all the old heads starting turning up

Same for that little segment when all the old heads starting turning up and chanting yes at the end. Good to see the belt looking the same

Hit the hay after the Divas were about to come on but that was seriously enjoyable hour or so

DM_7 wrote: »
    Delighted that Rollins left as champion. They played the main event so well. Reigns got a good battering, they played up a lol reigns wins scenario, made it look like Rollins might fail to cash in and actually be the one to be pinned but ended up with the ideal ending.

Yea they played me good, I thought the only reason Rollins was out there was to get pinned by Reigns so they could keep Lesnar strong... I am very happy to be proven wrong! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,216 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That HHH entrance was HORRIBLE. So very bad.

Ya, it was like they went mad with the tin foil, so cheap and tacky and made no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,168 ✭✭✭✭briany

HHH's entrance would have looked 10 times better under the cover of darkness, with some cool lighting. I'm not saying it would have been the greatest thing, but it would have looked way less tacky.

Daylight was unforgiving on just about every entrance that required an atmosphere. The notable exception being Rusev, because it's just hard to come out in a tank and have it look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can't understand how anyone would give this less than an 8, let alone a 4 or a 5.

Explain yourself voter 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's why it was so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,168 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who exactly did Big Show's win in the ATGMBR help? Did Big Show lobby for that? Why do they throw away perfectly good Wrestlemania moments like Mizdow finally coming good? They didn't even really make Mizdow look strong in the end. Big Show just picked him up and threw him out, making Mizdow look a bit of a chump. (armchair booker) The obvious ending would have been Miz coming back to interfere and cost Mizdow the win. Big Show gets his win and Miz and Mizdow can take their feud over the next 3 to 6 months.

• Advertisement

Triple H entrance was unreal !

Advertisement