Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania aftermath thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hugely enjoyable show. the mainevent was brilliantly booked (whoever scripted that deserves a raise). the rock thing went on a little too long.. time that cena/taker matches could have done with but honestly thats really been picky on my part

43 year old big show winning the battle royal and not mizdow or itami was a mistake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Ill happily admit to being a fan in passing between 2006 and 2012 as opposed to the fanatic i was in the 10 years prior to that and when i say fanatic i mean borderline crazy. I watched every promotion i could get my eyes on, i still have boxes and boxes of old PPVs on VHS aswell as load of Japanese stuff including the deathmatches etc but since 2012 i have really started getting back into things again and i do consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fan, dare i say even a smark. I think that is why i loved the Sting - HHH match, the wrestling itself wasnt great but who expected anything else? The whole match was made by the outside interference, fans of my age never thought we would see DX up against NWO and it was incredible, i was marking out like a 12 year old and i have no shame in saying it. A part of me cringed when i saw Scott Hall taking that bump but it just goes to show how much he has turned his life around since that video emerged of him nearly dead in the ring at an independent show. The handshake at the end was fine by me and its not the last we see of Sting, i am sure of that.

The Fatal 4 Way was an enjoyable start to the show, a spotfest but an enjoyable one. Was there a legit injury to one of the Usos that caused him to leave so early? The tag division is in a very bad state now and i dont see how they can turn it around.

Battle Royal: Meh, im fed up of seeing Big Show. His WCW days were great and when he burst through the mat in that cage match i was excited for what they could do with him, turns out that they have done nothing with him in 14?? years. Flipping and flopping between heel and face like a dead fish and people just dont care. Im sure Vince looks at him, hears the fans boo and thinks "Job done, heel getting booed". But the problem is, he is getting X Pac heat, people just dont like him. I knew Hideo wasnt going to win but i didnt want Show to be the one to throw him out. Great to see Bo Dallas back too, i hope he gets a decent run on TV now.

Ladder Match: I think i was the only one that didnt find this too enjoyable. I know we have to suspend a lot of our beliefs in wrestling and ladder matches in particular but one thing annoyed me more than anything else last night and that was Dolph, he struggled to get up the ladder to take the belt yet 3/4 minutes later he flew up the ladder faster than anyone i have ever seen to prevent D-Bry taking down the belt, i hate things like that. The headbutts were also ridiculous looking. Overall though, im delighted now that the IC title is going to be taken seriously. The scene backstage with all the old champs was cringe-tastic and not in a good way.

Randy - Rollins: A great match between 2 great workers, i know a lot of people dont like Orton because his character can be seen as boring but i am a fan. The RKO spot was amazing, interesting to see where he goes now that Rollins is the champ.

Divas: Give the divas a chance my arse, they got less than 7 minutes. The sooner Charlotte debuts the better to shake up the division.

Cena - Rusev: I dont know what to make of this match, it was good but not great with a very very poor finish, it was an awful way for Rusev to lose his streak and with the way he was shouting at Lana afterwards im just not sure what road they are going to go down with the 2 of them. Cena is definitely going to raise the profile of the US title, so like Bryan with the IC title, its a good thing. You have to laugh at Cena getting booed in a USA-Russia feud, there is no hope for him as a full on face anymore but i understand why they cant turn him heel($$$$$ and the Make a Wish stuff)

Taker - Bray: A great match considering Takers age and rustiness coupled with Brays injury. An expected result but one i feel they got wrong. I posted the other day that i feel Bray genuinely could be a main eventer for years to come and a win last night would have helped him achieve that a bit quicker. Now he could end up in a bit of a lull as we all know Taker isnt going to be around to continue the feud so who does he get paired up with?

Brock - Reigns: A few weeks ago i just didnt care about this match because Roman was 100% winning and then Brock signed his contract which certainly got my interest in the outcome. I dont quite get the hate for Roman, its not his fault that Vince chose him as his pet project, we all know he isnt ready for WM main events and i think he could do with a mouthpiece manager to take some of the heat off him but he was fantastic last night. That is the kind of matches he should be involved in, we know he isnt going to knock out an hour long iron man, wrestling classic. He is a ridiculously marketable dude and matches like last night will only help him. Brock is box office gold and i would have loved him to break Punks record of 434 days but it wasnt to be. The main question i have about him now is what kind of schedule has he agreed to? Will he be on Raw tonight or is he going to take a few weeks/months off? I was genuinely shocked when Seths music hit, i was so engrossed in the match and had convinced myself that Roman was winning that i had completely forgotten about the MITB contract. Even then, i thought Brock was getting the pin on Seth. It really was a great match topped off with a really really good ending.

Other than the matches, i only have 2 other things to comment on. First off, the commentary, it was atrocious for the entire show. The 3 of them should be ashamed of themselves, there wasnt a bit of emotion from any of them during any of the matches, bring back JR.

The Rock/Ronda/Steph/HHH segment was a great big meh. I know they were trying to waste time hoping it would somehow get dark but it was just painful to watch and it had no place at Mania. Rock at the end seemed to be hinting at a mixed tag match which wouldnt surprise me at Mania next year.

Overall, a solid 8/10 PPV and i cant wait for Raw live from Bizarro Land tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just noticed Rock had a terminator Brahma bull on screen during his entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

fantastic mania i must say and being honest i enjoyed it more than last years event.

just so many memorable moments this year and the main event was edge of your seat stuff. Fair play to Reigns he was fantastic in it and i hope the wwe can build him properly now.

the ladder match was decent as was orton v rollins. i loved the sting v hhh match just for the nostalgia alone. Cena v Rusev was again ok but i thought the way they had Cena beat Rusev was rather weak. Delighted to see taker in good shape this year and Wyatt can be proud of his performance a great match for what it was.

Also i predicted the taker/wyatt spider and sit up spot last week :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ah WWE, months of months of crap and you deliver when it really matters.

It's the question I always ask, why can't they always have a product like this?

Anyway;

Tag Match: Bit of a mess, but it was fun to watch all the same. Right guys won, and Dominatrix Nattie. Grand opener.

ARMBAR: Sigh. Why Big Show? Why? It was like a re-run of the Rumble where someone I have nothing but X-Pac heat for eliminates a bunch a people I care about.

Mizdow got his moment and the big pop...why not go all the way and have him win too? Very strange. Once the deadwood was cleared out I enjoyed the match though.

Ladder match: Not the best ladder match ever, but enjoyable none the less. Ambrose is absolutely insane. I'd be amazed if he's not concussed. Pretty mental spot. DB winning made me happy and was 100% the right move. Crowd loved him and always will love him.

Orton v Rollins: Excellent match, both guys were on their A game. Fast paced and lots of fluid, fun spots. That RKO was simply godly. Definitely a top 5, maybe top 3 RKO. This was very good.

Sting vs HHH: HHH's entrances are always over the top and tacky. I loved it as I always do. Stinger can still go. Logically DX and NWO run ins made no sense but I didn't give a fck. Fun match. HHH winning? Whatever. It's 14 years later, do you really need to tell that WWE is superior to WCW narrative AGAIN? Interested to see what happens with Sting next.

Nash fake tearing his quad was hilarious. That was 100% intentional.

AJ/Paige vs Bellas: Was disappointed with this. I was hoping they'd get more time and more of a chance. Was no better then anything you see on RAW/SD. Get the NXT girls in there pronto.

Cena vs Rusev: Rusev's entrance was brilliant. The match was fine. I was a little disappointed by it. The effort was definitely there but something was lacking for me.

Rock/HHH/Ronda segment was good but dragged on WAYYYYYYY too long. Ronda is like printing money. Unreal woman. Steph was on fire.

Taker vs Wyatt: Taker looked good. Better then last year. Bray clearly had issues with his ankle. The match was fine all things considered. Fairly typical Undertaker WM match. The sit up spot was fantastic.

Reigns vs Lesnar: Wow. This was awesome. Reigns looked the best i'd ever seen him tonight. He and Brock stiffed the **** out of each other(intentionally) and a defeat like this did more for him then 10 title wins could have. Brock looked fantastic, Reigns looked tough and resilient and Rollins got exactly what his work in the past 18 months has deserved.

The best wrestler in the company should hold the WWE title. That is Seth Rollins. As it was DB last year.

The show was FAR better then I expected. WWE booked themselves into seemingly an impossible corner. Well they booked themselves right out if it. I'm intrigued by a lot of things going forward now.

8/10 show for me when I was expecting a 4-5 at best. Good job WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

How did rollins win the belt he didn't pin brock?

cena wrote: »

It was turned into a Triple Threat for some reason, dont question it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

cena wrote: »

It became a triple threat match. I was wondering about that but im sure some here can clear it up as Im not an expert on MITB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tugboats wrote: »
    It became a triple threat match. I was wondering about that but im sure some here can clear it up as Im not an expert on MITB

As he cashed in DURING the match and not after it, the ref called for the original match to be changed to a triple threat match.

They should start Raw tonight with Heyman threatening to sue WWE as Lesnar had signed a contract for an one on one title match and not a triple threat :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also Moneymaker, you were bang on the money with everything you said on your review... well except for the HHH entrance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,345 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I loved it. I'm someone who dips in and out of Wrestling and haven't really watched in consistently since the Attitude era but I thought it was a genuinely great show and it's honestly something that I think will make me sign up for a Network account of my own.

I loved it. I'm someone who dips in and out of Wrestling and haven't really watched in consistently since the Attitude era but I thought it was a genuinely great show and it's honestly something that I think will make me sign up for a Network account of my own.

I was considering not renewing my subscription when it lapses this week but last night made me reconsider, make sure you catch Raw tonight because its going to be amazing, the night after Mania always is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Whatever about the lack of darkness ruining Undertaker's entrance but that HHH Terminator fiasco would have benefitted way more with some cool lighting to make it not look like he got his robot toy outfit down in Smyths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

That was such a great Wrestlemania, easily in the top 10.

The four way was fun, and quite a few times they sucked me in thinking the match would end with someone else leaving with the belts, which if you have me constantly second guessing then you're doing your job well in my eyes. The right team won and it was a great way to open the show.

**** of Big Show. Honestly, why is it always Big show eliminating the "internet darlings" in these matches? It just feels like Vince uses Show to troll the internet fans. Mizdow should have won, and the whole build up in the final few minutes was the perfect way to set up a Mizdow win. Bull****.

The ladder match was chaotic and full of spot after spot after spot, everything I need from a 'Mania ladder match basically! Great way to open the main show, with the promo video and after match footage with the HOFers who also won the belt was a really nice touch and made the belt feel important again. Let's hope they don't forget that. And the right guy won.

Orton and Rollins had the match of the night until the main event for me. This was a pleasure to watch, and some of the spots and sequences I have never seen done so well in a match before. And that's without mentioning that beautiful RKO. Both guys came out looking like a million bucks.

Sting vs HHH was alight. I actually was really enjoying the match until all the interference. Yeah I do get why it was done (Even if having Nash and Hall go against HHH makes no sense since, you know, their BFF status has been acknowledged on tv) but you could have had it after the match. The match didn't need to be so overbooked. Sting should have won in my eyes but I can live with HHH winning.

The womens match was grand, The Bellas aren't ring generals but you can't deny they are getting better and better with each match. AJ didn't really seem to give to much of a **** though which was a shame. You could tell Paige was having a blast.

Rusev wins entrance of the night. After the year he has had, and Lana, it was brilliant to see both getting such a massive treatment (On a side note, it was hilarious watching Lana trying to fight smiling at the "Let's go Lana" chants :P). Then you compare it to Cena who didn't even make the effort to get new gear for the show (A big pet peeve of mine with anyone on the roster; it's 'Mania, make the ****ing effort and get new trunks.). The match was enjoyable, but they really booked themselves into a corner. Rusev should have come out of this red hot and a win over Cena would have been perfect, but now where does he go? He lost in such a way that he looks deflated and it feels like he will fall down the card big time in the next few weeks. I hope I'm wrong, I really want Rusev to come out on Raw tonight and just kill someone, to really go on a rampage.

I marked out like hell for Ronda. The segment went on a little longer than it should have, but seeing her toss HHH like that had me grinning like an eejit.

'Taker proved a lot of people wrong last night. He looked to be in much better health than the year before, and he and Wyatt worked really well together. 'Taker had to win for so many different reasons, and I'm glad they did it. I don't think the loss damages Wyatt, if anything the match proved that he can deliver when it comes to the big matches, and was the first step in fixing the damage done with the Cena feud.

I loved the main event. I was dreading it, because Reigns hasn't been tested with someone that's not a ring general like Bryan, but this match was awesome. I can't understand how anyone can say Reigns came out of this looking weak; he took a massive beating, and was still able to get up no matter what Brock did, and busted him open. He got in more damage to Lesnar than Cena ever did. Reigns was able to shut a lot of people up last night, including myself. I think by this time next year Reigns will be ready to be the man...but there is only one man that deserves that title now and his name is Seth Rollins! If we treat Wrestlemania as rewarding the people who delivered the most in the past 12 months, then Rollins is that guy. No one has had a better or more consistent year. That was an amazing moment, and hell I'll say it; it was better than Bryan winning last year, because it came out of nowhere. Now you have 3 men leaving 'mania looking great because:

-Rollins is champ
    -Reigns brought Brock to the edge
    -Lesnar never got pinned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Match time including entrances:

Ladder match: 18mins

Orton/Rollins: 15mins

HHH/Sting: 27mins

Divas: 9mins

Cena/Rusev 25mins

Rock: 23mins

Taker/Wyatt 24mins

Lesnar/Reigns: 22mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,345 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only thing I wish they had done for Cena was after that USA USA promo, they should have had him come in the ring to Hulk Hogan's old Real American entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

So they could have had either of the pre show matches on the main card and kept the Rock segment to a backstage skit which is what it should have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,216 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So they could have had either of the pre show matches on the main card and kept the Rock segment to a backstage skit which is what it should have been

If it sets up Rock vs HHH with Rousey involved for WM32, I won't care how much time it got last night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

Lesnar's cut/bruise below his eye, was that from Reign's opening punch ?
    A bit real world if it was.

Lesnar's bleeding after the ringpost, was that legit or blading ?

Only thing I wish they had done for Cena was after that USA USA promo, they should have had him come in the ring to Hulk Hogan's old Real American entrance.

They could have had Cena come out on the back of a bald eagle(albeit a huge one) while holding the heads of Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden and he would still have been booed though.

• Advertisement

Lesnar's cut/bruise below his eye, was that from Reign's opening punch ?
    A bit real world if it was.

Lesnar's bleeding after the ringpost, was that legit or blading ?

Looked like a blade job as blood poured down from the top of his head and not the forehead that connected to the ring post.

Have to say the blood really added to it and it was a great call by WWE to either let it happen or not clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

I lost €30 after betting a loads of **** last night with the odds changing so much but the show was so ****ing brilliant I don't even care. Before the show had someone told me Hunter was going over I would've been pissed off but the match was so off the wall and fun I couldn't care less who won. It was like going back to the 90's when the NWO came out and faced off against DX - did they bring back Vince Russo to work with Vinny for this? I loved it.

The main event had a class big match feel and I am just so glad Roman didn't win. Having Seth Rollins cash in was pure genius and thank **** he didn't pin Lesnar. Everyone came out of it looking strong, even Reigns who I really thought had won it after the Spear when Lesnar was F5'ing Reigns.

What was widely predicated as being the most predictable WM with the worst road to WM in decades, it turned out to be one of the most entertaining of all time due to how unpredictable it all became. Who on earth was doing creative for this show? I refuse to believe it was Vince and has dreadful team of writers who have given us such a terrible and predictable product for the past year.

Can't wait for Raw tonight. Hope Lesnar stays around and it doesn't go to Rollins vs Reigns straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Loughc wrote: »
    Looked like a blade job as blood poured down from the top of his head and not the forehead that connected to the ring post.

Have to say the blood really added to it and it was a great call by WWE to either let it happen or not clean it up.

It was definitely a case of blood being used in the right situation. As much of a beating as Reigns took in that match and eating the pin, he came out of it a much bigger star than he went into it. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reaction to him tonight differs to the reaction he got last night.

Whosthis wrote: »
    It was definitely a case of blood being used in the right situation. As much of a beating as Reigns took in that match and eating the pin, he came out of it a much bigger star than he went into it. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reaction to him tonight differs to the reaction he got last night.

I dont think the crowd tonight will matter too much in the long run when it comes to Roman, its next week we will see the reaction he will be getting over the next few months.

I dont think the crowd tonight will matter too much in the long run when it comes to Roman, its next week we will see the reaction he will be getting over the next few months.

I think tonight will tell a lot, if he's managed to turn a massive smark crowd in his favour, last night will have been one hell of a booking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just watched the main event again. I'm genuinely surprised that it was that good, especially in the sober light of day. It really told a great story and it was executed pretty much perfectly. Everything in the run up suggested it should have been a clusterfuck and a car crash. Possibly could've been a few minutes longer but it's better to leave people wanting more than risking dragging on. Hopefully a Lesnar/Rollins match isn't too far away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am typing this up at various intervals of the show. Haven't read any other opinions or anything.

Welcome to Super-Kick-amania!

Quite annoyed that usually when you start up the WWE App for the Network, the front page is just three superstars and a big "Watch Network" button. Not this morning, where instead it was headlines and pictures of Mania. So yeah, nice spoilers involving Rock, Rousey and Rollins :rolleyes: Probably set me off in a bad mood for the show.

Tag match was quite good, imo, but Jesus, JBL was insufferable, just ****ing all over the match, presumably on orders from behind the scenes, constantly saying it was a car crash.

The poor commentary continued into the Battle Royal, where JBL was so busy beating us over the head that Show had never won a battle royal, it was painfully obvious he was walking away the winner. Also, the match shows they simply don't care about criticisms, since it was a repeat of the much-criticised Rumble match, with Show eliminating all the fan favorites.

Ladder match was fine but unspectacular; nothing that we've not seen before. JBL Commentry Watch: "Luke Harper has suplexed Stardust off the ladder and has now powerbombed Luke Harper off a ladder!". Anyway, the result was the right one, though I'm sure there'll be plenty of debate on it. I'm ok with Bryan holding the IC title; they don't want him near the top and just make him look bad when he's there, so why not.

Orton/Rollins was a good match with an awesome finish. The height Rollins got was great.

Sting/HHH ... I do feel the result was wrong. But otherwise I enjoyed it. nWo vs DX was a superb Mania-Moment.

Cena beating Rusev was the right result, but felt Rusev lost waaay too easily. On a night when everyone was eating multiple finishers, Rusev just seemed to take one quick AA and lay down. Still, as I said, Cena beating Rusev was the right result for the story involved, and the rest of the match was fine.

Despite it being spoiled on me, Rock/Ronda was a great moment, and as if she wasn't awesome enough, she's wearing a Dragonball Z shirt :) Felt they could have had someone eat a Rock Bottom though...

Its a shame it wasn't dark for Bray/Taker, but the Scarecrows were awesome. Super-freaky. Undertaker looked in great shape. Thought it was a good match.

As for Brock/Reigns...Reigns gets his ass kicked, Brock doesn't take the pun and Rollins, probably the most deserving of that title right now, gets it. Very happy.

I guess to sum up, it was a good show, but nothing spectacular. I don't think there's going to be many listing it in their top 5 or top 10 Manias. In all fairness to the people involved, the in-ring action was solid. It ultimately suffered from a very, very poor build and the storylines. That's not the wrestlers' fault. Its the booking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Ending was so good. Was sure Lesnar was gonna win. DX/nWo was class and got such a pop. Reigns took a serious beating, I don't really see how he comes out positive? Looked very weak. Ambrose, Rollins and Bryan are the future. Cena/Rusev fight was far too predictable, worst match bar the divas.

Is Raw tonight still on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

Whosthis wrote: »
    I think tonight will tell a lot, if he's managed to turn a massive smark crowd in his favour, last night will have been one hell of a booking job.

Tonight's crowd will be 99% marks who are going to **** all over Reigns if he is involved in anyway with Rollins.

• Advertisement

Ending was so good. Was sure Lesnar was gonna win. DX/nWo was class and got such a pop. Reigns took a serious beating, I don't really see how he comes out positive? Looked very weak. Ambrose, Rollins and Bryan are the future. Cena/Rusev fight was far too predictable, worst match bar the divas.

Is Raw tonight still on sky?

Its because he took such a beating that he looks strong, he took the beating but Brock didn't pin him, he came back, got in some great offence, bloodied Brock, got some near falls and was set up for a final spear when Rollins cashed in.

Advertisement