Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania aftermath thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

rovert wrote: »
    He is booked everywhere including Dublin as Reign's house show opponent. Also you have that career link between Big Show and Andre - being introduced as the son of Andre in WCW and so on.

It's amazing how sentimental WWE can get when they want to.

Shame it's never anything to do with what the fan wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Really fun Mania but I just can't agree with the "greatest show ever" stuff. Easily an 8/10 though. The finish has a load of casuals I watched with staying up for Raw.

The same people who were no doubt pissing blood over the terrible build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I said I wouldn't watch the show, and I didn't, even though I was very intrigued by what they would do in the main event. I'm actually quite annoyed that I missed it live, but I've seen it all now.

Firstly, if you didn't enjoy that as a show, you need to give up watching pro wrestling. As a whole, that was almost as it good as it gets from a spectacle point of view.

But I'm still annoyed, and I'll tell you why.

In a vacuum, this was absolutely brilliant by WWE. But why the fúck did they put little or no effort into the build? Why was Reigns booked like a goof for so long? why did they try and turn him into Cena Mk 2? it's clear, once again, that Vince isn't actually an idiot, so imagine the amazing match you saw last night, only with some steam behind it coming in...

Anyway, this show was pretty much everything Wrestlemania should be.

The ladder match was fine. Bryan winning was the right decision, as long as the IC title does not remain a joke.

Orton winning was the right call to end a Wrestlemania feud (happy ending). But there's a part of me that is slightly irked by Rollins losing the night he later cashes in. but meh. that's being nitpicky. An excellent match though.

Sting/HHH was the spotfest it probably needed to be, and had brilliant nostalgia value. I'm shocked so many people are shocked. I predicted Sting in hope, but Vince has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. he was seemingly completely unwilling to let WCW beat WWE. People will blame Hunter, but I can guarantee that was a Vince call.

Divas. who cares? they looked good. especially Nikki, good Christ. bored of AJ. they've sucked the life out of her.

Bray/Taker was as good as you could hope for, and the spider walk into a Taker sit-up was an obvious but well done spot. Taker looked great. One more in him for Texas next year I reckon. Delighted.

Ronda/Rock etc was entertaining. Ronda is money. it took too long, but who cares? fun times were had.

Rusev/Cena was about as well booked as you could hope for. Rusev was never winning with all the 'MURICA stuff, but Rusev lost in a way that should not hurt him too much. Cena, despite what many think of him, always pulls it out.

Reigns/Lesnar was top class for a very simple reason. Brock wrestles the kind of match that nobody else does, and Reigns was willing to take an ass-kicking and go with it. He looked more a star than he ever could by winning. Lesnar is pure box-office. You just cannot take your eyes off the man when he's performing. Incredible.

The cash-in was tremendous. What a moment for the lad, and another memory to take away from Wrestlemania.

A thumbs up, but I'm still worried at the neglect WWE show towards their building up of feuds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

SlickRic wrote: »
    I But why the fúck did they put little or no effort into the build?

Vince was asked about the Road to Wrestlemania in todays conference call. To paraphrase his words he said sometimes they go all in and sometimes its a different approach but it always results in them getting it right on the night of Wrestlemania

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Build up to Mania was rubbish compared to recent years, but the show itself was fantastic I thought.

All the big matches delivered with in ring action or cool nostalgia spots, the divas were passable, and they look to have set up Rock vs HHH as the special attraction next year which I'd very much look forward to seeing.

Thought the main event was booked brilliantly. Brock comes out unharmed, Reigns has a bit more credibility and Rollins will be a great working heel champion.

Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

As someone who has become a very casual wrestling fan over the last few years (this year's royal rumble was the 1st ppv I have watched in about 4 years) I have to say I really enjoyed wrestlemania. After watching that excuse for a royal rumble I thought to myself I haven't been missing much in the years I stopped watching wwe but last night I actually enjoyed wrestling for the 1st time in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

stankratz wrote: »
    As only a very part-time casual fan in recent years, the Lesnar/Reigns match gripped me. I watched Royal Rumble in January, my first WWE viewing since WM30, and was a bit disgusted with the outcome of the Rumble, looking at Reigns thinking "Who is this guy and what am I missing about him?"

Pro Wrestling can all-to-easily be brushed off with the "Sure it's fake, what's the point?" statement by non-fans, but these athletes risk their health and well-being every time they step into the ring. It might be improvised sports entertainment, but shít still hurts at best minimally. That's when Brock Lesnar is not involved in the match. When he is, that factor increases significantly and there is no doubt in my mind that there were genuine hits going in hard between he and Reigns last night.

To say that Reign's 'just' took a beating for 12 minutes and then performed his power moves a few times is doing him a disservice though. Even in this world of live choreographed bouts with pre-determined outcomes, you still need a humungous set of balls to get into a ring with Lesnar and say "Just give me your worst" and then not only take it without flinching, but still have the stamina and ability to mount and sell a comeback after that beating. In those rare moments he dominated Lesnar near the end, I believed it and thought he had a shot at the win.

Apart from an array of suplexes (Suplex City Bitch!), there was fúck-all to this match technically, but I still loved the story told and how it was executed, and would rank it as a great match because of it. All-time great WM match? I think that might be pushing it at this moment, but 100 times better than I thought it would be going in. I thought Reigns was a nobody going nowhere, last night proved me wrong.

A few things outside of the main-event: Great to see WWE trying to give some credibility back to the Europa Leag...sorry Intercontinental title. I love that it is the old Intercontinental belt, has it been back that way for long? The Bryan segment with the old-timers was a little cringey but not so much as to ruin it for me. There's never not a good time for a Ron Simmons "DAMN" :pac:

HHH looked ridiculous in his entrance. I get that he's at the point now where he can do whatever he wants, and does it, but there should be limits. Plus why does he need to be Terminator? He's 'The Game' and spent 15+ years building that persona up. HHH, The Game is an iconic character itself, no need for props from the Ballyhaunis National School end-of-year play. Maybe it was because $$$, as it seems WWE were paid to promote the Terminator brand throughout the night. The outcome of the HHH-Sting match doesn't bother me too much. I'm just glad that Sting finally wrestled a WWE match, even if it was a good decade too late and was exciting more for the nostalgia element than anything else.

As for Rock, Rhonda, HHH, Stephanie, of course this went on way too long but that was the whole point of it. WWE were doing balancing acts all over the show last night, not least of all with the daylight/darkness thing. I think they did as well as they could do with this considering they had to appease both East and West Coast audiences. As for the segment itself, after all of that there should have been at the least a Rock Bottom on HHH, or even HHH getting one-up on The Rock. Are they setting the scene for a match next year? I actually think those two could put one last great match on. Rock would have to train hard for it though, he was out of breath after the walk to the ring last night.

I enjoyed the Taker-Wyatt and Cena-Rusev matches, don't have too much to say outside of that. Oh, did anyone else think when Lana threw her shoe in the ring "If that gets used as a weapon to win the match then I'm switching off!" A bit of a bizarre moment, hard to know what to take from the shoe-throwing :pac:

I tuned in too late to catch the IC Ladder match and the Rollins-Orton match but will catch them tonight. I did see a gif of that RKO, it was so sweet and Orton was clearly delighted with it too.

Overall I'm glad that I stayed up to watch WM, it was a good show and I will try to tune onto Raw tonight to catch the aftermath.

Cody brought the classic IC belt back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

People saying that WWE are relying on old timers, not that I disagree with you per se, but Cena, Orton, Shield members, Lesnar and Bryan are all big stars, if they can retain them and not pull another CM Punk, then it'll be a pretty decent foundation to build on imo. Just need to improve the scripts of the less capable of improvving wrestlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

thought it was a very good wrestlemania. watched in waterford in a gaa centre and the atmosphere was good.

Sting vs Triple H and the Cash in was the main highlights for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Watched it in the Woolshed and had a blast
    Night had several moments when I was up out of my seat

All those F5s including one what must have been about 20 seconds into the match
    Lesnar Bleeding
    The Cash in
    Rusevs entrance (might have been moment of the night)
    DX
    NWO
    Baseball bat vs Sledgehammer
    Deans Spot
    The Rock
    Woolshed trying to predict a "Finally" moment from the Rock
    UFC Chick
    Taker sit up
    Damn !!
    The Bushwhackers

Great stuff , WWE may have lost the ability to keep me tuning in all year round but they still make WM a must see event , more fun than I can remember having in ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Some bits of news from last night:

- WWE was scrambling all WrestleMania week to lock in Arnold Schwarzenegger to do the voiceovers needed for the Triple H entrance at WrestleMania. He reportedly recorded them the night before the Hall of Fame ceremony.

– If the ending to the Triple H vs. Sting match felt like a sendoff for Sting, that was done because they haven’t made any decisions regarding him wrestling for the company again. Sting has stated that he is open to working a Summerslam or WrestleMania match, and he is backstage at Raw today.

– The Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns main event was supposed to run over 35-minutes (including entrances) last night. The PPV was running long, so they cut an Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt video package and the PPV went off the air at 10:59PM ET.

– Bray Wyatt worked last night’s show with a severely sprained ankle. He was so bad off earlier in the day that he couldn’t walk or stand for some time. He had an air cast on it throughout the day, and removed it just prior to heading to the ring.

– The Rock was in New York all week, rehearsing for Saturday Night Live. He did the show on Saturday night, headed to an airport and then departed east coast at 4AM ET. He flew to California, and was in the ring at noon local time rehearsing his segment with Triple H.

Credit: Pwinsider.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Triple H and sting was poor, 3 out of 5 at best. They did very little wrestling and depended on Pensioners to cover it up. They seemed way too focused on promoting Terminator than the match. Sting's entrance was piss poor, looked like something from The Karate Kid. The finish was brutal and the handshake at the end was pointless, what had Sting done to make Triple H respect him by offering a handshake? They went for 20 minutes and did very little wrestling, it wasn't like Sting kicked out of 3 Pedigrees, who shakes someone's hand after getting a cheap shot? This had the feeling of a regular match on Raw, there were no goosebump moments and it's nowhere near Rock and Cena. Kinda reminded me of Bret and Vince at 26 with all the people outside and the lack of actual WRESTLING! How can Sting pose as a threat to Undertaker (should that match happen) when Taker's beaten Hunter three times! I was really disappointed at this but other than that the show was amazing, 9 out of 10 stars for me. Anyone agree with me on Sting and Triple H?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

JBL is awful, like a commentator on a video game. Completely nonsensical.

Rollins is the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really didn't get why they shook hands.

The build up was centred around Sting taking down the manipulative HHH. There was interference in the match and then HHH hit him with a sledgehammer.

How does that lead to shaking hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Triple H and sting was poor, 3 out of 5 at best. They did very little wrestling and depended on Pensioners to cover it up. They seemed way too focused on promoting Terminator than the match. Sting's entrance was piss poor, looked like something from The Karate Kid. The finish was brutal and the handshake at the end was pointless, what had Sting done to make Triple H respect him by offering a handshake? They went for 20 minutes and did very little wrestling, it wasn't like Sting kicked out of 3 Pedigrees, who shakes someone's hand after getting a cheap shot? This had the feeling of a regular match on Raw, there were no goosebump moments and it's nowhere near Rock and Cena. Kinda reminded me of Bret and Vince at 26 with all the people outside and the lack of actual WRESTLING! How can Sting pose as a threat to Undertaker (should that match happen) when Taker's beaten Hunter three times! I was really disappointed at this but other than that the show was amazing, 9 out of 10 stars for me. Anyone agree with me on Sting and Triple H?

This is a joke right?

You're spot on regarding Sting and HHH. Terrible match aside the handshake didn't fit in especially with the build up and cheating that went on in the match. Instead of trying to put on a great match they took the easy way out by bringing in the usual suspects and having the handshake. Fans get blinded by nostalgia and chant this is awesome as Michael Cole tells us it's a Wrestlemania moment when it was anything but...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One thing I will say...

I am utterly thrilled for Rollins that he had the defining moment of Mania and got to be the star at the end. I think that he's been THE star if the last 12 months, and easily deserved that big moment. I can't think of anyone who deserved to walk out of Mania with the title more than him, based on development and preformances over the last 12 months.

I...uh....just hope he gets out of Raw tonight with the title still in hand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Tugboats wrote: »
    You're spot on regarding Sting and HHH. Terrible match aside the handshake didn't fit in especially with the build up and cheating that went on in the match. Instead of trying to put on a great match they took the easy way out by bringing in the usual suspects and having the handshake. Fans get blinded by nostalgia and chant this is awesome as Michael Cole tells us it's a Wrestlemania moment when it was anything but...

It was a Mania moment for me. I marked out big time. Absolutely nothing wrong with nostalgia, it has it's place and it was used quite effectively in this match. Remember Stins age and how long he has been inactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Also, Stephanie McMahon is an awesome heel. Looked like she was having an absolute blast during her segment.

Disappointed Ronda didn't take her down and arm bar her though. That would have been a great way to finish that bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The legend of sting died a bit for me when he turned up on wwe but it was dead and buried last night.
    He said before he didn't join wwe when wcw finished because he was concerned about how he would be used and you have to respect that considering wwe was the only show in town that could pay him what wcw was.

Vince got his last dig in on wcw last night and it was sad to see. Even sadder to see that sting went back on his word and sold out for a big payday.

I remember back in the day sting was the one wrestler I really was jealous wcw had. Hope he has another couple matches because if that's it, he destroyed his legacy for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Best PPV in a long, long time. Am glad Balor wasn't in the battle royal as he'd have been an after thought at best.

Lord TSC wrote: »

I...uh....just hope he gets out of Raw tonight with the title still in hand....

The main event of the Raw after Mania usually of the standard of that on a B and sometimes A level PPV. I wouldnt be surprised if they gave away Rollins Vs Orton for the belt tonight on free TV.

Backlash lineup?

Rollins Vs Reigns

Bryan Vs Ziggler

Cena Vs Rusev cage match

Cant ever see Brock doing a B level PPV for them again and rightly so. He'll be at home playing with Sable and counting his cash for this one.

Jim Ross has posted his latest blog entry covering his thoughts on WrestleMania 31. Check out the highlights: On Sting vs. Triple H: “Sting vs. HHH was a grand production with a ‘cast of thousands’ specifically the nWo and DX. So happy that Sting got his WrestleMania Moment which was well deserved.

Those that think that the Moment was ruined because Sting lost might not understand the business as well as they think. I don’t know if Sting is done with WWE or not but I do hope that he gets a nice retirement sendoff and that he’s in the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame class. If the plan is to have a Summer Slam or sooner rematch between the two then HHH winning makes even more sense.”

On Ronda Rousey possibly wrestling in WWE: “I’ve been pushing a Ronda Rousey-Stephanie McMahon storyline for weeks on the Ross Report Podcast and I was elated with what went down Sunday between Rousey, Steph, the Rock and HHH. I thought the ladies stole the segment from the men and sill feel that a Rousey vs. Steph match with a stacked deck in Steph’s favor will be a giant hit in Texas at WM32 if the trigger can be pulled.”

On Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt: “Thought Taker returned to WM in great shape and looking physically better than he has in the past several years. Bray Wyatt being competitive, kicking out of a Tombstone Piledriver was great for the young, 3rd generation talent. Anyone who thinks that Wyatt took a step back because he did not win needs to re-evaluate their opinion. Just saying…Nonetheless Taker appears to still have some gas in the tank and I hope that the is a major part of the Texas WrestleMania which would be a great place for him to hand it up if that’s what the Phenom wants to do.”

On the main event: “The booking of the ending of the impromptu Triple Threat Match for the WWE world title was brilliant. Lesnar was protected, Reigns showed his toughness and passion to survive the early, Lesnar onslaught, and Rollins cashing in the MITB contract, which was no real surprise but how it was executed was, is a WWE Champion that on any given night can lose the title ala Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels back in their days. Loved the Japanese strong style aspects of the match and enjoyed the finish even more.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Roar wrote: »
    Also, Stephanie McMahon is an awesome heel. Looked like she was having an absolute blast during her segment.

Disappointed Ronda didn't take her down and arm bar her though. That would have been a great way to finish that bit off.

Steph would be a great heel if she ever properly got her comeuppance. But most of the time she just figuratively rips the nuts off the face and leaves without any consequences, which just makes the face look crap.

Only Sting and Rousey have been permitted the privilege of standing up to her over the last year or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

hes come a long way for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

rob316 wrote: »
    The legend of sting died a bit for me when he turned up on wwe but it was dead and buried last night.
    He said before he didn't join wwe when wcw finished because he was concerned about how he would be used and you have to respect that considering wwe was the only show in town that could pay him what wcw was.

Vince got his last dig in on wcw last night and it was sad to see. Even sadder to see that sting went back on his word and sold out for a big payday.

I remember back in the day sting was the one wrestler I really was jealous wcw had. Hope he has another couple matches because if that's it, he destroyed his legacy for nothing.

I don't think Sting himself feels that way and, naturally, he's been more protective of his legacy than anyone. Whatever plan they have for him is one he feels will leave him better off than when he started. I can't think he's that egotistical or hard up that he agreed to one Wrestlemania appearance and go out on his back. If he were, he would have done it years ago. WWE could always have used Sting's star power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Sirsok wrote: »
    This is a joke right?

I'm dead serious, I was very disappointed. What did you think of it?

Advertisement