Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania aftermath thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

briany wrote: »
    I don't think Sting himself feels that way and, naturally, he's been more protective of his legacy than anyone. Whatever plan they have for him is one he feels will leave him better off than when he started. I can't think he's that egotistical or hard up that he agreed to one Wrestlemania appearance and go out on his back. If he were, he would have done it years ago. WWE could always have used Sting's star power.

I really hope so because with a good angle he would still be a big draw and can move pretty well for his age.
    That match was a real hatchet job though last night. No problem with him losing just the way he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'm dead serious, I was very disappointed. What did you think of it?

I seriously loved it....granted I had a few beers but I don't see what was wrong with it. Sting is quite old, he showed he can still move and have an aura about himself.

The NWO v DX angle was not something I expected and having grown up in that era was a welcome nostalgic addition to a show that had 4 other single matches.

Granted the handshake seemed Ill advised but overall the match although not a technical marvel was enjoyable from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Hopefully last night's result means Vince has gotten this "WWE>WCW 4eva!!" point out of his system for a while and will give Sting his win back at Summerslam or whatever. Was impressed with how good a condition he was in for a 56 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just noticed last night in the stooge meets stooge segment, but is it just a running gag now that Joey Mercury doesn't talk? Or is there a reason? Was trying to remember when I last heard him and relaised he's always cut off or something happens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just noticed last night in the stooge meets stooge segment, but is it just a running gag now that Joey Mercury doesn't talk? Or is there a reason? Was trying to remember when I last heard him and relaised he's always cut off or something happens

No answer for you, but I noticed it too and found it hilarious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

Chagan wrote: »
    Hopefully last night's result means Vince has gotten this "WWE>WCW 4eva!!" point out of his system for a while and will give Sting his win back at Summerslam or whatever. Was impressed with how good a condition he was in for a 56 year old.

Where does this belief that Vince still wants to bury WCW come from? Some of his greatest talent of the Ruthless Aggression era and Brand Era were WCW alumni through and through, like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero and Booker T. He even had Bischoff be a major on-screen personality for a few years, not a decision that was particularly popular amongst some of the talent. Is there some event I'm not privy to which would explain this alleged rise in Vince's insecurity about WCW even though it's been dead and buried for 14 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

briany wrote: »
    Where does this belief that Vince still wants to bury WCW come from? Some of his greatest talent of the Ruthless Aggression era and Brand Era were WCW alumni through and through, like Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero and Booker T. He even had Bischoff be a major on-screen personality for a few years, not a decision that was particularly popular amongst some of the talent. Is there some event I'm not privy to which would explain this alleged rise in Vince's insecurity about WCW even though it's been dead and buried for 14 years?

The Alliance angle. They flushed money down the toilet just so Vince could stroke his ego. Sting has said that watching Booker's treatment during this angle was what put him off joining (though obviously he changed his mind).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Reigns popping a 'Blood Pill' at WM...

jjhhl.gif

Edit: Alternatively, some guy in the comments section on reddit/r/wwe (where I got the gif) suggests that this isn't Reigns popping a pill, but is the way the ref checks on the wrestlers after a big spot. If the wrestler squeezes the ref's finger, it signifies that he's alright. Reigns then putting his hand to his mouth could be him checking to see if his mouth is bleeding. Either way, I find it interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Those that think that the Moment was ruined because Sting lost might not understand the business as well as they think.

That's JRs stock response when fans don't agree with something. Rarely will he say the WWE got it wrong. As long as the bbq sauce is on sale on wwe.com Jr has little to no credibility as a reviewer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Most of the show was pretty fun,

Can completely forgive the logic issues with the Sting match cos he's a 56 year old and I'm not sure how any kind of straight match would have been anything other than either too short for such a big name's only appearance with the company or pretty boring.

Bray vs Taker was pretty weird; boring but Taker showed enough to imply that he could have a really good retirement match if booked correctly. I'm gonna lean on the side that he was playing the grizzled veteran on his last legs character rather than just not being able to hide it, it worked pretty well but this feud just didn't work. Losing would've made more sense for me if there's gonna be a retirement match next year.

The main event was booked immaculately, the booking right from the start felt so strangedidn't fe has been brilliant this past year, will hopefully hold the belt until Summerslam. that I was fascinated trying to figure out where it was gonna go. Brock hasn't been damaged a bit, Reigns came out of it all about as good as he possibly could have done (I personally didn't think he rose himself to the occasion though, not necessarily his fault, he was given f*ck all again) and Rollins running in before the match ended both completely surprised me and made me much less certain he was gonna succeed.
    Well deserved for Rollins after the past year, he's great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Enjoyed the show for the main part. All the main card matches were quite good (skipped the divas effort). I'll admit to not being a fan of the finish at all though. I see why they did it and am interested to see where it goes from here.

The high point for me was Rusevs absolute MONSTER of an entrance. That was an epic an entrance as ever happened ever. Pretty good match folowed. Preferred had Rusev won, but I thought it was clear enough all along it was going to be Cena.

The HHH entrance was stupid. Really cringe. I enjoyed the match again though. It was farcical but it was a bit of fun.

Orton Vs Rollins gets Match Of The Night for me.

Ladder match was what it was. Enjoyable, but essentially a spot fest where everyone bumped like crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I thought It was the best WM I have seen in many years.
    Loved the ending to the main event.

Taker looked in good shape, unlike last year.

I would have liked the sting HHH match to have gone on longer without DX getting involved, but it was still good. It was nice to see Hogan back in NWO colours too! HHH's intro was very cringe worthy though!

There was no bad match really.

Suplex City, Bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

3 days ago lads :D:D:D
    ...Rollins will lose to Orton.

Then in the main event Reigns will look like he'll have Lesnar beat only for Rollins to come in and cause a distraction. Rollins will pin Lesnar for the title, and so;

Lesnar looks strong as it took 2 to beat him

Rollins keeps up the sneaky heel gimmick and gets a win back after losing to Orton

Reigns will gain sympathy and 'may' become a better face chasing the title...

Close enough :cool::cool::cool:

Only got to see Mania last night. I gave it a 7/10. Overall a very enjoyable show.

Loved:
    Bryan winning
    Ambrose bump
    Curbstomp into RKO
    Rusev entrance
    Wyatt entrance
    Spider walk v Sit up
    DX v nWo
    The Rock giving Triple H the whole "eyebrow-raisin' spiel"
    The whole Main Event
    The stiffness between Brock/Reigns
    The cash-in

Didn't like
    How long Rock/Rousey went on for
    Cena winning
    Triple H/Sting handshake
    Triple H entrance/Terminator tie-in was a bit cheap
    Thought Wyatt should have went over Taker tbh

Anyway, now subscribed to the Network and think I'll keep it a while longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fially got to finish watching this (stupid work)

Glad Bryan won.
    Barrett/Stardust superplex off the ladder..harper powerbomb to ambrose through the ladder, both brilliant.

HHH wins lol - Mad that Sting agreed to that considering his fears and why he said he wouldnt come to the WWE down the years then his first match he loses to HHH

Rusev arrives in a Tank! Awesome... Cena wins not so awesome but him and Bryan with the mid card titles is good imo. Hope they don't screw up Rusev now though

Steph is awesome but... Ronda Rousey FTW pity the segment was so long though

cameramen in the way and audible a few times plus the announcers talked through fireworks etc but they coulda been worse

Taker was decent, although I thought he'sd put Wyatt over, but I think next year may be his last one vs Sting (him retiring and facing sting has been predicted before though)

The ending... one of the few times a heel winnning like that actually sends the crowd hom happy. Until it happened too I was really worried Reigns would do a superman comeback which woulda been totally shat on...Rollins and how they have built him is the best thing the WWE have done in a long time, he is a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

Whosthis wrote: »
    I beg to differ, I think last night will have won him a huge amount of acceptance.

Just watched RAW,
    The crowd boo'd Reigns as bad as ever. Ryback got a better reaction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cagefactor wrote: »
    Just watched RAW,
    The crowd boo'd Reigns as bad as ever. Ryback got a better reaction.
    Even Big Show got a bigger reaction, when the crowd is cheering Big Show over you, you know you're in trouble.

But then again it was the night after Mania crowd, will be interesting to see next week's crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Roar wrote: »
    Also, Stephanie McMahon is an awesome heel. Looked like she was having an absolute blast during her segment.

Disappointed Ronda didn't take her down and arm bar her though. That would have been a great way to finish that bit off.

The fact she didn't makes me think there will be a payoff match down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i gave it 7/10

1 pt docked for big show winning - i cant understand why.... is it cos he wrestles like the statue that he won!
    1 pt docked for trips entrance - i thought his mask was actually the cheapest looking thing ever - and i normally like his entrances
    1/2 pt docked for the divas match - just felt the content was lacking and with some1 like sasha in it would benefit
    1/2 pt docked for the end of cena rusev - i thought they had a great match until the rushed ending - i loved rusev's entrance - i could actually feel the hate off people when he came out in the tank - i was like oh god of course - they have him in a tank!! - with the ending i was just like is that it!!

High points as everyone says - vince giving the crowd bryan immidately put the ppv over! Orton beating rollins with that rko was awesome! Rollins winning was good - and brock just looks amazing! Impressed with taker and wyatt considering the injury wyatt had! Enjoyed rock and rousey - although i would have loved her music to hit and she walk down - i think that would have been a huge pop!

Think its irrelevant about day or night - its perception - its different - would some of the entrances have looked better at night? yeah - does it mean that they were bad? nope - except trips cos i thought that was ridiculously cheap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think the bright kind of adds to the special feeling of Wrestlemania tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

gimmick wrote: »
    I think the bright kind of adds to the special feeling of Wrestlemania tbh.

I agree. I can understand the entrances say for Undertaker and Wyatt best suited to the dark. Its a bit surreal seeing a wrestling show with a bright blue sky above the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

I normally order RR and WM each year, and maybe 1 or 2 more if they really grab my attention, but last sunday I watched the whole thing on the network. And I was really impressed. It took a few minutes to actually set up the laptop for us all to view it, but we made that up when the 'music act' came on. Allowed the eldest two (9/10) to stay up and watch it live for the first time , and they were loving it till......Triple H's entrance sent them both to sleep....Not even me marking out for the NWO woke them.....They made up for it by watching it on the network on an ipod yesterday, but the ending was kinda ruined when Seth Rollins mug showed up on a screen before they could access the ppv....from now on though, Its the network all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Started watching last night, fell asleep. Decided to bring the laptop into work early and finish before I started.

Holy god, I just about stopped myself from screaming when the cash in happened. I never thought they would have one at Wrestlemania, not in a million years. It was exciting and unique, the crowd loved it and it made for a pulsating finish.

I've never shied away from professing my love of Rollins, and he got his deserved reward last night. Scintillating stuff.

Also, a shout out to BNB's Bull Hammer on Stardust as he springboarded off the ropes. It was breathtakingly class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Is Stephanie McMahon the greatest troll ever? I think the only woman to rival her might be Vickie? (in WWE world)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

harney wrote: »
    Is Stephanie McMahon the greatest troll ever? I think the only woman to rival her might be Vickie? (in WWE world)

Pretty much.

The only problem is they're generally not getting the balance right between her trolling along with emasculating wrestlers...and her getting her comeuppance.

If she doesn't get hers enough, it becomes to the detriment of the overall product.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

So thanks to Total Divas my wife is now a wrestling fan (We are even heading to the show in 3arena next week)

On Sunday she stayed up and watched her first ever Wrestlemainia

Today she arrived home with this for me

62P3st.jpg

My wife rocks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Need to find a wife like yours:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MAJR

I will be honest and say that I didn't care about any match on this card except Sting's - though I did get annoyed about the lack of advertisement which could tell me that I had to watch the network if I wanted to see the whole damn card - and as such this show was ruined for me by that event.

I never expected a great match, I just wanted something watchable and memorable with a few good moment, I got that for the most part, but the wrong guy won in every aspect. It made no sense for Triple H to win that match. He gains nothing from it, the WWE gain nothing from it, and Sting was hurt by it, it made Sting look like a loser. What's the appeal now in seeing Sting fight anyone else in the WWE when the first match he's had in the "big leagues" since WCW folded he loses clean? Nothing.

Months of build up and the WWE shoot themselves in their own foot for a petty and worthless decision taken either so that HHH could add a name to his list and boost his ego or so that Vince McMahon could take one more kick at a company that's been dead for 15 years.

And, oh yes, make not mistake about it, this was about WCW. Never mind the fact that Sting explicitly said it wasn't about WCW and he wasn't there to fight for WCW because that would be stupid at this point. No, that was irrelevant. They had to hammer home the point over and over again that this was WCW's last big name fighting a big name WWE guy and it would "prove how good he was" and put the war to bed once and for all, and all that bull****.

This feud should have been about Sting. They should have had him say that he was old, his body was deteriorating and wouldn't be able to compete much longer, so he wanted to give his fans who had stuck by him for 30 or so years the thing they'd wanted to see for almost that entire time - Sting at Wrestlemania. That's what this match should have been about. Sting giving back to his fans, letting them have what they'd wanted for so long. Then it woudn't have mattered who won or lost, becuase the set up would be about Sting being far beyond his best just wanting to give something back while he was still able to.

But no, we got a cluster**** of WWE vs WCW 15 years on from when it could have been relevant. And what a mess it was too. Relying on ignorance of people who knew nothing of the history of the people involved and nostalgia for those who did.

Why was the nWo helping Sting? Sting joined the Wolpac sure - however stupid that was - but the nWo black and white were his mortal enemy. They'd never help him - that's why I was expecting a double cross.

Why's Kevin Nash and Scott Hall helping Sting beat Triple H? They were in the Clique, they're good friends with Triple H. It made no sense.

Why was Shawn Micheals helping Triple H? Sure they're best friends, but he's also friends with Nash and Hall who are trying to stop Triple H winning, he was also in the nWo, and he's friends with Sting. What stake's he got in all this?

What the hell was X-Pac doing? He was a Clique member, friends with Hall, Nash, Hunter and Micheals, he was in the nWo. What's his motivation?

Nostalgia will only get you so far, and when the issues in booking are as glaring as this it doesn't get you far enough.

I rated this Mania a 3, because there were some very good matches but I wasn't emotionally involved in any of the except one and the one match I was emotionally involved was, objectively speak, bad, poorly booked, made no sense and had the wrong finish and was ruined therefore ruining the show for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

^
    You said exactly everything I thought about the sting match. It was stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,293 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I might be alone but I didn't like NWO and DX being involved in Sting Vs. HHH's match and the result, Sting should have won imo, HBK is retired but how many times has he come back now to help HHH, will Sting or Bryan ever get a one on one match with HBK doubtful as he is "retired" also didn't like Sandow losing, I did like Lesnar Vs. Reigns and extra sweet Rollins cashing in and winning

Advertisement