Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running on empty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Too tight I think knee is aching again today. Watch this space. Looks like I will have to see the doctor at this stage about it. Biggest issues now is I don't feel any pain during my running, it is only coming on after. :(

Maybe just take a few days off completely and let it settle.
    Try R.I.C.E. - Rest -Ice -Compression -Elevation
    When you do get back into it take very easy and go really slowly maybe on grass or trail if possible.

If you are seeking medical attention a physio therapist might be better than a doctor and try and get one who understands runners and running related injuries if possible.
    Best of luck. I got a lot of niggles when I started out too. I think it's fairly normal. You just gotta be very patient and progress as slowly as the body wants to go. Don't ever force things.
    Foam rolling is brilliant and if you regularly roll out your calves and TFL it might help the knee issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Ososlo wrote: »
    When you do get back into it take very easy and go really slowly maybe on grass or trail if possible.

If you are seeking medical attention a physio therapist might be better than a doctor and try and get one who understands runners and running related injuries if possible.
    Best of luck. I got a lot of niggles when I started out too. I think it's fairly normal. You just gotta be very patient and progress as slowly as the body wants to go. Don't ever force things.
    Foam rolling is brilliant and if you regularly roll out your calves and TFL it might help the knee issues.

Agree with all of the above. Had loads of niggles and I found a good Physio recommended from here, did the strengthening exercises and built up very slowly. Mixed running with cross training to maintain the fitness and also find the foam roller very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Unfortunately as I am relying on the medical card, if I want a physio, I will need a referral from my GP. Can't swim no access to a gym or a bike at the moment so not sure how else I can cross train. Not sure if walking is different enough to count as cross training. I intend to use it to maintain endurance if niggles prevent me running in future.

Pleased with today's run overall.
    Today I ran an uninterrupted 28 mins. Awesome stuff. Went slightly faster than I had intended, but maintained pace throughout the run. Heat felt like a factor again. A week an a bit to go, assuming no more injuries for c25k.

Duration 40:37
    Distance 7.35km
    Avg Speed 10.86km/h

Great going with the 28 mins Greenmachine! Congrats!!!! I remember that particular session really well. A great milestone to reach. You know now you'll complete the programme :)

Hope the knee behaves for you now.
    Any pain from it since?

Great going with the 28 mins Greenmachine! Congrats!!!! I remember that particular session really well. A great milestone to reach. You know now you'll complete the programme :)

Hope the knee behaves for you now.
    Any pain from it since?

Last major hiccup pain wise was the end of May, where I took a little over a week off. I had a slight niggle for a day or too after Week 8 day 1. Just ran Week 8 day 2 now. I will know as the day goes on, how it is likely to be over the next for days.

Another day down. A little apprehensive about today, as I was expecting it to be really warm. Noticing more and more similar faces on a few of my routes. All very similar to the last few run, only today I had very little flat spots lots of uphill and downhill.

Like my last session, split was approx 5 minute warm up, 28 minute run, 5 minute cool down. Working off the recording which is a little longer than the suggested times.

Duration 41:02
    Distance 7.57km
    Avg Speed 11.07km/h

Almost finished the c25k stage of my journey now. I have my sights set on the clontarf 5 mile now. Keep my route pretty flat this time out less than 10% hills to get try and get a little more distance in today. Conservative bit of extra distance achieve but I'll take it. Felt pretty tired this morning so, today was always going to be hard work.
    Duration: 41:14
    Distance 7.71km
    Avg Speed 11.22km/h

Grand run today. Felt a little terrified at the prospect of running a whole 30 minute today, but a quick reminder that I had already completed 3 runs at 28 minutes helped me throught it. I think starting off a little fast on the first 2km of the run set me a little off but slowing down a tad saw me sail through.

Duration: 44:08
    Distance 8.17
    Avg Speed 11.11km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done Greenmachine, that's a great milestone to have reached. Good for you. When do you think you'll race a 5K ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done Greenmachine, that's a great milestone to have reached. Good for you. When do you think you'll race a 5K ?

Can't see too much coming up for that Distance around Dublin. I think there is something in Maynooth, Co. Kildare in August or Maybe September. Only €10, but does not look like it is chipped. I am actually leaning toward the Clontarf 5 mile, for my first race now. One more run now for the c25k stage. Will get in a session of c25k+ Stamina which is a 35 minute run. This will hopefully give me an idea of how I might get on.

Run approx 1/4 uphill 1/4 flat 1/2 downhill. Flat might have had a slight incline?
    Duration 42:49
    Distance 8.11km
    Avg Speed 11.36km/h

How about a Parkrun ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

How about a Parkrun ?

Great going there green machine, I remember those runs very well & reaching each milestone. + 1 to BGs parkrun suggestion, they're free & timed and a great way to continue your journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Can't see too much coming up for that Distance around Dublin. I think there is something in Maynooth, Co. Kildare in August or Maybe September. Only €10, but does not look like it is chipped. I am actually leaning toward the Clontarf 5 mile, for my first race now. One more run now for the c25k stage. Will get in a session of c25k+ Stamina which is a 35 minute run. This will hopefully give me an idea of how I might get on.

Hi Greenmachine, Parkrun ireland have free timed 5k runs every Saturday @9:30am. Here is the link to their website http://www.parkrun.ie/

How about a Parkrun ?

Will definetly get a park run in. I think St Annes is the closest one to me.

• Advertisement

jake1970 wrote: »
    Hi Greenmachine, Parkrun ireland have free timed 5k runs every Saturday @9:30am. Here is the link to their website http://www.parkrun.ie/

Brilliant for some reason I had it in my head that these were on once a month, instead of every week.

I am finally here. Keep everything nice and simple today, up and down a straight stretch of road. Finally switched to some short after looking in my summer drawer, found an pair with an inner pocket. My excitement got the better of me with it being the last day. Incorporated some fartlek type stuff today. Tried to run a little faster for short bursts every few minute. There was always a danger of tiring myself out early. Relieved to say it did not happen and was still able to pick up a little bit for the last minute of the running section. Shooting for two more runs before the Clontarf 5 mile. I am thinking about one longer run about 35 minute, but may revise it down a little if i struggle with it and maybe an interval session after a warmup walk for the other session. Something like 90 seconds faster running and 2 minutes walking. Open to any constructive criticism if people think I have anything wrong with the next two planned sessions. Aim will be to keep these flat too.

Duration 42:48
    Distance 8.50
    Avg Speed 11.91km/h

I am finally here. Keep everything nice and simple today, up and down a straight stretch of road. Finally switched to some short after looking in my summer drawer, found an pair with an inner pocket. My excitement got the better of me with it being the last day. Incorporated some fartlek type stuff today. Tried to run a little faster for short bursts every few minute. There was always a danger of tiring myself out early. Relieved to say it did not happen and was still able to pick up a little bit for the last minute of the running section. Shooting for two more runs before the Clontarf 5 mile. I am thinking about one longer run about 35 minute, but may revise it down a little if i struggle with it and maybe an interval session after a warmup walk for the other session. Something like 90 seconds faster running and 2 minutes walking. Open to any constructive criticism if people think I have anything wrong with the next two planned sessions. Aim will be to keep these flat too.

Duration 42:48
    Distance 8.50
    Avg Speed 11.91km/h

Just wondering why you would only schedule two more runs before Clontarf 5 miler ? It's over a week away isn't it ? Yes, you'll need to taper so you're well rested but too few runs and you might get rusty!

I would definitely go for the 35 mins, maybe this weekend, but slow the pace down to the point where you could hold a conversation all the way through. Even ditch the GPS (:eek:) and just enjoy it. You'll have no problem lasting the duration if you take it easy.

Nice speed on the above BTW, and best of luck for the race.

Just wondering why you would only schedule two more runs before Clontarf 5 miler ? It's over a week away isn't it ? Yes, you'll need to taper so you're well rested but too few runs and you might get rusty!

I would definitely go for the 35 mins, maybe this weekend, but slow the pace down to the point where you could hold a conversation all the way through. Even ditch the GPS (:eek:) and just enjoy it. You'll have no problem lasting the duration if you take it easy.

Nice speed on the above BTW, and best of luck for the race.

I am still at the stage where I am allowing at least one rest day beween each run. So that would be a run on Saturday, then another Monday or Tuesday.
    I could always do long walk too on another day. I just want to make sure not to injure myself getting so close. My understanding is to not do any activity 3 day before a race but, admittedly I could do some more reading up on it though.

I am still at the stage where I am allowing at least one rest day beween each run. So that would be a run on Saturday, then another Monday or Tuesday.
    I could always do long walk too on another day. I just want to make sure not to injure myself getting so close. My understanding is to not do any activity 3 day before a race but, admittedly I could do some more reading up on it though.

You could rest 2 days before the race & then the day before do a couple of miles with strides to keep the legs ticking over. See the strides post on the DCM mentors thread on how to do these. No need to bust a gut or anything, just controlled speed about 70% of your max. I wouldn't rest 3,full days beforehand your legs will be slow to action on race day if you do.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    You could rest 2 days before the race & then the day before do a couple of miles with strides to keep the legs ticking over. See the strides post on the DCM mentors thread on how to do these. No need to bust a gut or anything, just controlled speed about 70% of your max. I wouldn't rest 3,full days beforehand your legs will be slow to action on race day if you do.

Okay I think I found the post you are talking about. How do I determine my 100% effort. Do I take it from my fastest 5k, fastest mile or from a shorter distance and revise back.

Okay I think I found the post you are talking about. How do I determine my 100% effort. Do I take it from my fastest 5k, fastest mile or from a shorter distance and revise back.

to be honest at this point I wouldn't worry too much about exact paces, except to say don't do these at full tilt, if you imagine that your easy jogging pace feels comfortable enough to do you want your strides to feel like you're waking the legs up a bit, but don't overdo it as you're only getting into it.

Firedance wrote: »
    to be honest at this point I wouldn't worry too much about exact paces, except to say don't do these at full tilt, if you imagine that your easy jogging pace feels comfortable enough to do you want your strides to feel like you're waking the legs up a bit, but don't overdo it as you're only getting into it.

+1 to this. Don't overthink it. I wouldn't pay any attention to the watch (even afterwards!). Just run faster than usual without sprinting and jog (not walk) to recover. Have a read of post #1087 on the Novices thread where Dubgal gives excellent instruction.

+1 to this. Don't overthink it. I wouldn't pay any attention to the watch (even afterwards!). Just run faster than usual without sprinting and jog (not walk) to recover. Have a read of post #1087 on the Novices thread where Dubgal gives excellent instruction.

Thats the one I was thinking of post wise. So if I am picking up right on this, I should have strides a bit faster than I am aim to run next Saturday, but not an all out sprint.

Thats the one I was thinking of post wise. So if I am picking up right on this, I should have strides a bit faster than I am aim to run next Saturday, but not an all out sprint.

That's it. Think fast but relaxed, with good form/posture. Definitely not eyeballs out sprinting, you could risk injury by going too fast.

5 minute warm up walk followed by a run of approx 35 minutes followed by a cool down walk. Slowed this down compared to previous by 10-15 second by km on avg but was shooting for 15-20 seconds slower. :o

Later run than I was used to. Warm weather was challenging. Still to an interval session, a break. Slower shorter run followed by strides day before race.

Duration 48:27
    Duration 9.67
    Avg Speed 11.97km/h

Last session before my race. Make up 5 minute walk, followed by about 20 minutes easy jogging. Slowed down here as much as I felt I could, shorted stride a lot. Found the run pretty tiring physical but not challenged at all are far as breathing was concerned. Followed the jog with some strides. Guesstimated distances here. Built up speed for a count of 8, held for a count of 8, and slowed down for a count of 8. Found it hard hitting the brakes here, and had to continue slowing down for longer than an 8 count. Felt like I would throw myself forward here if I slowed down too quickly. :eek: Got in 5 strides altogether. Data points seem a bit all over here. They make it look like I accelerate to a point and immediately decelerated. At least 30 second to a minute between each stride but the data points make it look like two of them ran right into each other. Two of them were on a tree lined avenue so I can understand it losing data points there.

Covered about 3.42km before beginning first stride.
    Mile pace first two mile of 5 minute walk/rest easy jog
    13:26, 13:14, Felt like I was running on the spot so I think this is about as slow as I can jog. Challenging to keep pace down at that level. Not had time to work out what pace my easy run should be, but there will be time for that after tomorrows race.

I had an interval session tuesday, but I lost gps signal for much of it, so it was done largerly by feel. Used Week2 two of c25k with a longer warmup walk, and sprinted on the jog sections, and jogged on walking section, but jogging was not as slow as today.

Good luck tomorrow!
    Have a blast!!!

Hope it all goes really well! Don't forget a race report please :D

Hope it all goes really well! Don't forget a race report please :D

Will do my best on the race report. Planning on watch pace via endomondo. I assume other runner would be doing similar.

• Advertisement

good luck tomorrow!

Will do my best on the race report. Planning on watch pace via endomondo. I assume other runner would be doing similar.

Up to you. Personally during a race I would ditch the accessories and just use a stopwatch to check in at the mile markers, but it's your race, so do what you need to do to keep your pace in check. Just don't go out too fast! Best of luck and most of all enjoy it. You've come a long way already and deserve to get a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck tomorrow!

Up to you. Personally during a race I would ditch the accessories and just use a stopwatch to check in at the mile markers, but it's your race, so do what you need to do to keep your pace in check. Just don't go out too fast! Best of luck and most of all enjoy it. You've come a long way already and deserve to get a great result.

No Stopwatch in my kit as yet.:pac: Plan to incorporate in future intervals when building distance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Good luck tomorrow Greenmachine, throw the kitchen sink at it!

7 a.m. start for GM today. Coffee and porridge for breakfast. Slept poorly last night, and was sweating most of the night. Neigbours making a lot of noise. Oh well. Was anxious to be there nice and early as I had no idea, what to expect at the starting line. I needn't have rushed to much. I let myself get anxious because GM's OH is an easy walker and we had a 2.5km walk to the start area.
    In the end there was nothing to sign etc. before starting. I really had no idea what to expect here. Some warming up and down that paths on and off in the 40 minutes I arrived to spare. Watched the half go off in 3 waves from the road.

10 minutes to go

Was feeling the itch at this point. There had been a hint at some rain but the sky started to brighten up, and began to feel pretty warm. 7 minutes to go and alot of 5 miler had made their way over to the start area. Set myself up somewhat toward the front with maybe 60-100 runners in front of me. I had a look at last July's run results and that is about where I was shooting to cross the line. Fiddling with my phone trying to get my tracker open in the bright light.

2 minutes to go

A last bit of movement on the spot. Feeling anxious. In my rush to not be late, I left without properly hydrating myself. A cup of coffee at 7am was the only fluid I had on board.

Last few second hit my tracker no idea if it has started. Moving towards the line now. Suddenly it dawns on my that a lot of runner have pushed their starting position forward for those all important seconds?

Race time a shuffle forward.

A couple of hundred runners in front of in the 5 mile. Move across the line and things are congested. Gaining meters and walkers I am feeling the hustle. Slower runners around. I push forward passing groups of runners shifting from the grass and the path trying to feel my stride. Sun is shining, getting in a comfy pace now. Feel like I am going slower than I should be. Thinking about water already. First km covered 4:4x. I really though it was slower but well within range. Picking up pace now still feel like I am not covering enough ground. Pass more and more runner along the sea wall. 2 km in and my thirst is getting to me. 2km in and I'm 9 mins so far. I am going to fast. :eek:
    2nd km covered in 4:0X. Only a couple of hundred meter and I'll be hitting the wooden bridge. Maintain a similar pace the next 600-700 meters. The field is getting thinner now. Runners around me seem to be getting closer to my pace now with less opportunity for passing. "Water, Water need some water." Never carry water with me when training, but my lack of water before hand was getting to me even more now. Coming onto the soft sand now on my way to the beach, makes for difficult running. Pace has slowed a little but, I think I should have dropped it a bit more on this awkard terrain (for me). A left hander and I am onto the beach a little faster here. Running faster than I should be going here. A few hundred more metres here and a turnaround. At the half way point. 4th Km covered in 4:4X. Sub 18 minutes definetly going to fast

Slower now on the return leg of the beach closer to 5 min km. Not long to now for the water station, and I need it. Struggling on the sand now on the way back. Get my water and it is a struggle to drink it. Manage a few mouth full and carry it as far as the next km mark, before I drop it . Pass a couple toward the 5km mark. (Guy and girl) They seemed to have a comfortable pace going on.
    Pick up pace a little for the rest of the 5km and complete the 5th in 4:5X. Coming back across the wooden bridge now and I am wondering if I will make the finish line. Race is taking it tolls at this time. 5 miles feels impossibly far now. The 6th km getting a little like the wacky races now. Passing runners now who bombed past me in the previous km, who have now slowed to a jog.

Noticing now too, runner passing me who I have passed a few hundred meters away. Things are getting challenging now. Should be slowing down now, but I push on(Should really have done this on softer sand coming on to the beach, this knocked a lot out of me) . I just want to see the finish line now. There that couple again I pass them, and try to gain ground on a few more runners. Getting harder and harder to pass other runners now. I push on through and finish the 6th km in 4:5X, just like the 5th km. Slowing now, but still willing myself to hit my target time. Need to match 5th and 6th km for another 2km and a bit to get me to a finish.

Hard reality hits me, that I am not going to be able to maintain my pace slow to a walk a few hundred metres into the 7th km. I am determined to finish strong and would rather walk here than across the line. A little over 2 minute of walking here, and I am happy I have grabbed enough to finish strong. There goes that couple. 5-8 runner pass me in my walk. Build my pace back up to a sustainable pace. 7km down and I have lost about a minute here it could have been a lot worse.
    7th km 5:4X. Hitting 8th km now and I am back on form pass most of the runner, I lost ground on when I slowed to walk. Only a few hundred meters to go now. I can see the finish now. I dig deep I would love to pass just a few more runner, but it is not to be. Lose sight of the time now. It is going to be a 38:XX, I might have gained a few more seconds here, but I leave that battle for another day.
    Today has knocked a lot out of me, with a lack of preparation on my part. A slight brain fart, while I gathered the energy to collect my banana, cake and water.

Sat down on the wall with my OH, and got my breath back. Had a lovely chat with another runner who finished in a little under 35 minutes, from Ranalegh. Well done lad.

Well done Greenmachine, that's a super time under tough conditions. Great to have your first race under your belt. What's next ? Parkrun maybe ? But first, rest up for a couple of days, just easy running until you're fully recovered.

Well done Greenmachine, that's a super time under tough conditions. Great to have your first race under your belt. What's next ? Parkrun maybe ? But first, rest up for a couple of days, just easy running until you're fully recovered.

Yes want to get in a few park runs. Didn't know what to make for conditions being my first race. I think dehydration was my biggest battle.

I had a practice run out past Weston airport during the week straight in the head wind, that I ended up giving up at the halfway mark.
    No idea what to do now, Re recovery so any tips appreciated. I generally walk on my non running days to keep the joints moving. I will likely do this, unless I am advised otherwise.

Absolutely smashing time! You should be very very happy with that and sounds like there's tons more to come off that very soon.
    Well done! Rest up for sure for a few days after that!

• Advertisement

Absolutely smashing time! You should be very very happy with that and sounds like there's tons more to come off that very soon.
    Well done! Rest up for sure for a few days after that!

Weather and terrain included, I think I would have taken a minute off if I managed to drink water before my race. Lesson learned. Lovely course. All considered, absolutely delight. I couldn't run for a minute a couple of months ago. :D

Brilliant result GM! Soak up the post race glow, as the girls said already rest up for a day or two, lots of stretching & a walk or a very very slow recovery run tomorrow if the legs are stiff - a few litres of water for the rest of today now too!

Sporting some serious sunburn on the shoulder too. Oops. :p

Recovery run today 3km + warm up and cool down.
    Recovery run split
    6:22, 6:55, 6:45

Tues 7-07-15 Long slow
    Avg Pace 6:09min/km
    Distance 9.03km

Split: 5:58, 6:25, 6:03, 6:07, 6:09, 6:10, 5:58, 6:07, 6:22 (kms)

Thursday 09-07-15 Long slow
    Avg Pace 5:47min/km
    Distance 9.02

Split: 5:56, 5:34, 5:43, 5:48 6:04, 5:42, 5:35, 5:51, 5:51 (kms)

Saturday Interval Session

Run km, walk km

Run .kms: 4:25, 4:08, 4:36
    Walk kms: 8:42, 8:41, 8:55

Happy with the pacing from km to km on each km of the individual runs, felt they were reasonable consistent. Less sure about the 20 seconds difference in average pace between Tuesday and Thursday. Slept poorly most of this week, with the exception of Wednesday night. Did these basically by feel and tried to maintain a consistent pace through out each run.
    Saturday, is where the wheels had come off, wanted to do a 95-100% 5k effort here. Realised in the first km, with sleep and time of day and what not that it was just not happening for me on this occasion, switched it to interval km but could not improve in the run section to where I wanted to be. Sleep no better Saturday or Sunday night, or I would have had an early morning attempt at a harder 5k.

How does my pacing look for easy runs compare to my faster paces.

Some endomondo stats mostly from training.

12-minute test 2.83 km
    1 km 3m:55s
    1 mile 6m:42s
    3 km 12m:46s
    3 miles 21m:12s
    5 km 21m:58s

How does my pacing look for easy runs compare to my faster paces.

I don't really understand Km :o but they look about right. How you feel (i.e. the effort) is more important. If it feels easy and you could hold a conversation and your not fading dramatically towards the end of the run then it's right. You're improving rapidly at the moment so your easy pace will drop naturally but the effort should remain.

Have you considered joining a club ?

• Advertisement

I don't really understand Km :o but they look about right. How you feel (i.e. the effort) is more important. If it feels easy and you could hold a conversation and your not fading dramatically towards the end of the run then it's right. You're improving rapidly at the moment so your easy pace will drop naturally but the effort should remain.

Have you considered joining a club ?

Everything reported back to me in km with Endomondo so I am just copying the info straight across. To be honest, I am little confused, when people give their distances in km and then their paces per mile. I know how to do the conversion etc, but that would be more work. I might have a look at some of the other running apps, because I think the might use units.
    For guidance
    an 8 minute mile is about a 5 minute km
    a 9 minute mile is about 5:36 per km
    a 10 minute mile is about 6:12 per km

No rush to join a running club yet, but I may do so in future. I think I would like a few months of consistent miles before, I join a club.

Distance 10.07km
    Avg pace (km) 5:38
    Avg pace (miles) 9:04

Split km (5:39, 5:31, 5:34, 5:24, 5:25, 5:41, 5:32, 5:22, 5:54, 6:07)

Consistent enough I think apart from the last 2km.

Plan for a recovery run, tomorrow and a few strides.
    Should I have an easy run Friday, if I plan on doing the mile test in the phoenix park on Saturday?

Sunday 19th

Walks today Doubles
    2 * 6km, no paces as such. Haven't been out running in a bit and wanted to do something, plus needed to use ATM lodge.

Monday 20th

Another walk here

6 km no pace again. Not tracked but have previously measured the same walk.

Tuesday 21st

Tempo run today. Too fast on the first km (definetly), and possibly too slow on the last.
    Average pace per km 4:47
    Average pace per mile 7:42 vs (7:00 race pace)

How am I looking. If my tempo is to fast, I may also need to adjust my easy pace( 9:04 per mile)

I'd suggest you put your 5 mile race time into this calculator to give you an idea of your training paces. You're still improving so you can input new race times as they happen and adjust your paces accordingly.

Thanks for that BG, although it has left me with more questions. I will have to go through it to get my questions together. Working on interview prep at the moment. :D
    My feeling is that, as a relative beginner my focus should be more on tempo runs that reps. Looks like I am a tiny bit too fast on tempo, and about 30 second per mile too fast on my easy pace. Make sense when I look at it.
    Online calculators put my half marathon time at about 1:40 and I am not running much slower than that. Since that is the next distance I am shooting for, will aim to drop that pace a little. Should the pace on the different runs be dictated by the distance I am shooting for.

Right know I am thinking a recovery run tommorow. Maybe a minute slower per mile.
    Friday an easy run. 6km easy followed by 6-8 strides 9:30 per mile.
    Saturday long easy 11km 9:30-10:00 minute miles.

How do you manage hydration on longer runs. stash a water bottle somewhere or carry it with for the duration of the run. Getting more important now as the I am to increase my miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement