Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 30-03-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've sent a PM to Alan last Wednesday with specific phone number & query.

Can I get a reply / advice please?

For other readers, the problem here is a line that currently does not have broadband.

When queried Eircom sales say its not possible on the line.

However, after a recent fault, there was a Eircom engineer at the house & during discussions about when broadband would be available in the area, he says that broadband is available.

However, the eircom sale still say not....

I guess its a case of the computer says no...!

What to do?

Thanks

Tanka

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

tanka006 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've sent a PM to Alan last Wednesday with specific phone number & query.

Can I get a reply / advice please?

For other readers, the problem here is a line that currently does not have broadband.

When queried Eircom sales say its not possible on the line.

However, after a recent fault, there was a Eircom engineer at the house & during discussions about when broadband would be available in the area, he says that broadband is available.

However, the eircom sale still say not....

I guess its a case of the computer says no...!

What to do?

Thanks

Tanka
    Apologies for the delays tanka006

I'll get back to you as soon as possible

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Al,

Thanks - I will wait for some hopefully good news!

Tanka

Hi Al,

Thanks - I will wait for some hopefully good news!

Tanka
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Good afternoon Tanka

operations have got back to me with more information,

Investigations have completed and I've been advised that the reason for the lines incapability of holding broadband is because it is what can be classed as a "Carrier line". Unfortunately carrier lines utilise a different cable path which can't support broadband and are installed in circumstances where a normal line cannot be.

Changing a carrier to a normal line is not a service eircom offer I'm afraid

There is a universal obligation for every premises in Ireland to have a working phone line which can make and take calls however this obligation does not apply to broadband and in consideration I’m sorry to have to confirm that eircom cannot offer you broadband

I'm genuinely sorry I can't offer you better news on this but hope my clarification on this has helped a little.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

Hi Al,

many thanks for checking this out for me.

Excuse my lack of knowledge - is it the internal wiring in the house or the line from the pole into the house that is a "carrier line"

The reason I ask is that the eircom engineer stated that the broadband was running in the lines past the house?

I would really like to get this sorted for him.

If its just internal rewiring I will get this done

How can I move this onwards

Many Thanks again

Tanka 

Hi Al,

many thanks for checking this out for me.

Excuse my lack of knowledge - is it the internal wiring in the house or the line from the pole into the house that is a "carrier line"

The reason I ask is that the eircom engineer stated that the broadband was running in the lines past the house?

I would really like to get this sorted for him.

If its just internal rewiring I will get this done

How can I move this onwards

Many Thanks again

Tanka 
    I'm sorry Tanka there is really no way of moving this on. Eircom cannot provide him with broadband. A carrier line is not as a result of internal wiring but rather external where for infrastructural reasons it's installed where a normal line cannot be. I'm sorry I can't offer you better news on this.

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

Is it not simply a case of moving his connection to a line that does have broadband capability – Simply changing a connection at the pole ?

If there are cables passing by outside his house, and he is connected to the wrong cable, why can it not be moved to the right one ?

There is no problem with access from house to pole!

There is no reason is should not be a normal line.  Perhaps it was connected this way in 1975 when the house was built and simply never changed/upgraded over the years ?

Many Thanks

Tanka 

Advertisement