Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaves very slow to leaf out this year.

• 30-03-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Anyone any explanation as to why the leaves are so slow to break out this year? My hornbeam hedge is usually in full bloom by now but nothing is happening ! It's not just one species though - not a leaf in sight on ash,sycamore, beech or maple so what's happening knowledgeable folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

Noticed that too. It's been cold I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Beech is always late.....usually May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I'm afraid you're imaging things if you thought your hedge was in leaf at this time of year last year or any year for that matter, in particular this year the weather has been so mild so if anything this would be the kind of year where things are early, but alas it's still too early in the year to tell, but all signs point towards an early budding and a long growing season, due to the mild winter/spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm afraid you're imaging things if you thought your hedge was in leaf at this time of year last year or any year for that matter, in particular this year the weather has been so mild so if anything this would be the kind of year where things are early, but alas it's still too early in the year to tell, but all signs point towards an early budding and a long growing season, due to the mild winter/spring.

What prompted me to start the thread was the date stamped photos of a family occasion on 29/3/14 that I was looking at over the weekend in which the hornbeam was in full bloom, as were many other species. A basic google search indicates that hornbeam blooms in Spring of which March is a month, unless I'm imagining things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Squiggle wrote: »
    What prompted me to start the thread was the date stamped photos of a family occasion on 29/3/14 that I was looking at over the weekend in which the hornbeam was in full bloom, as were many other species. A basic google search indicates that hornbeam blooms in Spring of which March is a month, unless I'm imagining things :rolleyes:
    A date stamp on a family photo you say, oh well you should have said that sooner, that's all the evidence we need, let me look that up in a horticultural encyclopedia:rolleyes:. February and April are also spring, are you sure it wasn't February you saw them in leaf in the past?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

Ah lads. Roly eyes in the gardening forum? I thought we were safe from arguing and sarcasm here. It's not After Hours after all.

Relating to leaves, it does seem a bit late this year. We are almost into April now, I suppose there may be a big growth spurt in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its still March! Give it a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the hawthorns, hazels and blackthorn in my garden have all started to bud, several weeks ago for some.

bit unfortunate with the 'i know more than you do comments'. you can be helpful *and* be polite, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is slower this year than last year alright, I've photos from easter sunday in the garden last year (March 31st) where some of ours were leafed up, only buds out at the moment though. But last year was especially warm. We were having a BBQ, and I had suncream and sunhats on the kids, and we were all in short sleeves. Not a hope this year I'd say!

But, hey, every year is different. Spring comes earlier or later. That's part of the joy of gardening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have a Birch, outside my office which is only starting to Bud, this week.

I had all my plants for the Greenhouse, ready to plant up last week, brought on in Conservatory and various window cills.

I decided to wait a further week and am glad I did, as it has been a very cold March,
    I did plant some Peas, and they popped up and went back down again, Birrr.

According to forecast, from Sunday onwards, temperatures will improve, so it's time to get moving next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

pwurple wrote: »
    It is slower this year than last year alright, I've photos from easter sunday in the garden last year (March 31st) where some of ours were leafed up, only buds out at the moment though. But last year was especially warm. We were having a BBQ, and I had suncream and sunhats on the kids, and we were all in short sleeves. Not a hope this year I'd say!

I believe you but some on here would say you imagined it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

pwurple wrote: »

But, hey, every year is different. Spring comes earlier or later. That's part of the joy of gardening!

Not disagreeing with your main point but Easter Sunday last year was April 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

IMO, there is no question that the persistent cold, wet and windy conditions are effectively having an effect, resulting in Spring's late arrival this year.

It was a late start last year too but eventually yielding to a glorious late spring and a wonderful summer. Here's hoping for a repeat! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with your main point but Easter Sunday last year was April 20th.

Haha, so it was! Silly me.... Wasn't getting much sleep, pesky newborn. :)

Advertisement